Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#815008 - Tue Aug 14 2012 12:19 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: Barbarini]
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
Living in London, working in London and having to past Stratford every day during the games was an experience. I think for the first time ever, people were actually friendly on the tube and rail network. People were talking and not staring into infinity. Yes, the tube network was heaving at times and it was very crowded when trying to get home but once you got past Stratford, plenty of seats and breathing space.

I loved the opening but I thought the closing was a bit poor as they could have picked some better acts instead of using ones that had their music used in the opening..ie. Pet Shop Boys. Why George Michael was the only artist allowed to sing a brand new song, I have no idea considering the director of the show stated before it started that everyone would know all the songs and was hoping to have one big sing-a-long....(Always look on the bright side of life..comes to mind)

Queen were fantastic especially Brian May but why did they have to have Jessie J sing We will Rock You. C'mon, that should have been sung by a bloke....Robbie Williams would have been a good choice. Take That - Excellent!!

Overall, I was skeptical about the games before they started but I think this has had to have been one of the most exciting and best coverage of the games ever. It made me feel very proud to be British and a Londoner and even the British Weather held up with the exception of a few days. I just wished the games lasted a bit longer and there was something else to look forward too as London has been spoilt in the last few months...Jubilee and the Olympics....Oh well, Football season starts this weekend !!

#815022 - Tue Aug 14 2012 02:50 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: Sypher]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
I just wished the games lasted a bit longer and there was something else to look forward too as London has been spoilt in the last few months...Jubilee and the Olympics....

Aren't the paralympics starting in London very shortly? Surely they would be great to look forward to. Paralympians have had to overcome such adversity. I really hope they have a great time at their games, and I bet they are all just so proud to be representing their country smile

#815023 - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:48 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: bubbatom1]
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
Yep..you are right, there are the Paralympics...BUT after that....nothing!! (except Christmas and my birthday !!)

#815025 - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:29 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: Sypher]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
Have a great Christmas and a great birthday, and a really, really terrific football season smile

#815035 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:43 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: bubbatom1]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Best two weeks of telly me and Mum have seen for a long, long time! Well done to all involved!

#815114 - Tue Aug 14 2012 12:53 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: Barbarini]
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Thanks for the clarification Sue. My feelings may be due to the fact that I have never participated in sports of any kind. I was always sickly as a kid and had not acquired an interest in sports as an adult. As a result, I didn't watch the Olympics. I I had, maybe I wold apppreciate better the national pride and efforts of these fine men and women.

#815115 - Tue Aug 14 2012 01:00 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: ren33]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: ren33
I would like to ask , though, where was Zara Philips in the celebrations? She did win a silver medal, but (apologies if she was visible in the photo calls, the video of "Don't Stop Me Now" and all the other fun and games to support Team GB, ) I didn't see her once.

I guess she steers clear of cameras when she can - can't be easy having the Daily Mail chase after you all the time and they can be vicious. But she was at the closing ceremony, there was a clear shot of her in one of the "mosh pits" with a group from Team GB.

#815133 - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:24 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: flopsymopsy]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I loved the Olympics from start to finish. There were all sort of complaints about our coverage but i didn't notice anything and compared to what the NBC did I don't think we can complain at all.

I got much of the closing ceremony but the Batman and Robin did go over my head .. and I am a fan of Only Fools lol .. must have missed that episode!

#815141 - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:14 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: Copago]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
OK Jill, briefly they were invited to a 'party' and the dress code was 'fancy' so they went as Batman and Robin, they had car problems and were running down the road in their costumes only to interupt a mugging, the muggers thought they were for real and did a runner. The party turned out to be a wake (funeral) and the 'fancy' dress code meant in your best clothing! Now everyone is confused, you just had to see it to appreciate it. smile

#815144 - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:25 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I can just see it happening! Very clever show laugh

#815262 - Wed Aug 15 2012 01:19 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: Copago]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I'm not really into "popular music" and although I knew some of the acts, for me, the closing ceremony was a load of noise, only saved by Eric Idle's piece and Del Boy's van right at the beginning. Got to agree with Sue, and others, the "fancy dress episode" of Only Fools and Horses always has me in hysterics ... only topped by the utterly hysterical "Chandelier" episode laugh

#815310 - Wed Aug 15 2012 07:32 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: JaneMarple]
jabb5076 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia USA
I'm with you, Jane, about much of the pop music at the Closing Ceremony. I loved the John Lennon film and the pieced sculpture of his face was very clever. But the Monty Python bit with Eric Idle was hilarious! When the camera panned to Prince Harry and he was singing right along, I laughed out loud.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ren33, sue943