Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#815333 - Wed Aug 15 2012 10:37 AM Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
That is three times in less than a year.

I was really keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happened to him or the Queen during the games, it would really have put the dampers on matters and if he died then the funeral would have had to be delayed as it would't have been possible to have it and the games at the same time.

#815340 - Wed Aug 15 2012 10:56 AM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: sue943]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

It has just occured to me, I bet the hospital are in a right panic, normally if the Royals are due to make a visit everything gets a coat of paint.

#815444 - Wed Aug 15 2012 05:33 PM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: sue943]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I think Philip is more likely to notice how attractive the nurses are, rather than the paintwork.

#815447 - Wed Aug 15 2012 05:43 PM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: Jabberwok]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I think you're probably right on that one.

Seriously though, he is 91 and this is his third time in hospital in about 9 months. I know the Queen will never abdicate, but given their ages would anyone really blame them if they put their feet up a bit more and let the younger generation do more of the work.

#815449 - Wed Aug 15 2012 06:10 PM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: Christinap]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
I think they're already doing that - she was represented at the Olympics closing ceremony by her grandson!
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#815604 - Thu Aug 16 2012 07:41 AM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: lesley153]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: lesley153
I think they're already doing that - she was represented at the Olympics closing ceremony by her grandson!

Probably worried she'd have to listen to "Hey Jude" again LOL

#815605 - Thu Aug 16 2012 09:26 AM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: Christinap]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
And who can blame her! laugh

Talking about this today with a friend who works in a general practice, in the presence of tabloid headlines about how he'd been "rushed" to hospital for the third time in a year.

When he went to Papworth, he was "rushed" there by helicopter. This visit, described as precautionary, took a 50-mile ride by ambulance: hardly what would happen in an emergency. My friend said three times in a year for a 91yo is pretty good going - there are people his age going into hospital once a month.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#815654 - Thu Aug 16 2012 11:51 AM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: lesley153]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

I feel so sorry for him, not just because the infection is likely to have caused considerable discomfort, but more that most people, and in particular older people would be mortified to have people other than close family knowing that they had trouble with their waterworks!

I am not really sure that the public have a right to know exactly what ails the poor man, surely just to say that he has an infection, with the body part undisclosed, would be far kinder.

#815657 - Thu Aug 16 2012 12:40 PM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: sue943]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
despite the the positive consensus that the Queen consented (to pressure, no doubt, from her grandsons lol) to the "Bond thing", I did feel that the look on her face at the opening ceremonies showed more "concern" than jublilation. Maybe this illness has something to do with that... as well as the fact that Harry was at the closing (?)

Edited by Jakeroo (Thu Aug 16 2012 12:40 PM)

#815667 - Thu Aug 16 2012 01:58 PM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: Jakeroo]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Apparently her grandsons didn't know about the Bond thing in advance so they can't have pressured her - and according to Danny Boyle she agreed as soon as she was asked, there was no "I'll think about it and get back to you" it was just "I can do that" straightaway. I just assumed her straight face was an attempt to keep a straight face - she's quite good at doing those. And I imagine that she wasn't at the closing ceremony because she'd been told it was all pop music - she's not known to be a fan. Prince Charles is doing lots of things his parents used to do, and William, Kate, and Harry are doing things he used to do. The Queen still does too much but she's the Queen, people don't often argue, lol.

#815886 - Fri Aug 17 2012 08:46 AM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: flopsymopsy]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
ah, interesting that the rest of the family didn't know. She has very good staff LOL. And it wasn't so much the "straight face" (which we're quite familiar with, even here) that I noticed, but the look in her eyes. Of course, she may just have been tired. Wears me out just THINKing about being her age and still working : )

#815894 - Fri Aug 17 2012 09:19 AM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: Jakeroo]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I'm not a great royal watcher, I can think of more exciting things, such as watching paint dry, but I did catch part of a documentary recently which showed how the Queen and her sister used to act skits as family entertainment. Maybe she's been hankering after the footlights ever since, lol. Harry said that they didn't find out about the opening ceremony thing until they were behind the scenes waiting to go on - and even then I don't think they were told everything.

My sister is the same age as the Queen - she still gets about and probably has more energy than I do, but I can't imagine her doing as much as Madge does, at least not so consistently and not in the public gaze. Although she did bend my ear about not getting a Paralympics ticket for her. *sigh*

#816463 - Mon Aug 20 2012 05:44 AM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: flopsymopsy]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Today we have the great news that the Old Boy is home from hospital.

#816622 - Mon Aug 20 2012 05:16 PM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

He looked pretty spry on the news footage of him leaving hospital.

#816942 - Tue Aug 21 2012 03:34 PM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: Christinap]
underscored Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
If they have done nothing else they have given a lesson in staying married.
I have been waving little Brit flags aat the queen since I was five and do not hold any animosity to her at all.
I dont think she should retire people who have worked all their lives and then retired have usually been back at work in six months.
The nasty gossip that an ordinary person suffers in their own life is very hurtful and spread by fools - imagine having it published in some grotty little Tabloid and worse still it may well be called a life of privilege, I call having a choice a privilege and
I meet Princess Margret years ago I was in the third row from her and all I could see was a really nice person it seemed to shine from her - it really surprised me - do not know what I expected to see?

#816968 - Tue Aug 21 2012 04:53 PM Re: Duke of Edinburgh in hospital again [Re: underscored]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

I think it was clear how much they mean to each other when he had to miss some of the Diamond Jubilee events earlier in the year. HM just looked sort of lost without him, I felt sorry for her.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943