Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 17 of 28 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#808309 - Thu Jul 12 2012 10:03 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: rossian
After all, tomorrow is another day (is that original? or did I hear it somewhere else?).

Fiddle dee dee... Now where have I heard that line before? Maybe a spot of sweet tea will help my pretty little head remember.

wink

#808328 - Thu Jul 12 2012 11:15 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
The answer is blowing in the wind. smile

#808331 - Thu Jul 12 2012 11:35 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Tomorrow, tomorrow, is always a day away.

#808339 - Thu Jul 12 2012 01:07 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
The answer is blowing in the wind. smile

Oh, I see. Bob Dylan wrote it. grin

#808359 - Thu Jul 12 2012 03:01 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
Tomorrow, tomorrow, is always a day away.

Oh dear, that one is sung by a little redheaded girl, a poor little orphan waif, if my recollections are correct...

I must confess that I do prefer the dark brown hue of my own hair, it so sets off my green eyes, which have been known to dazzle the best of the young southern gentlemen at our neighborhood barbecues. smile

#809174 - Mon Jul 16 2012 04:34 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
mdurnanj Offline
Participant

Loc: Florida USA
The opposite of exasperate is better

exasperate means "make worse"
better means "to make better"

Doesn't this confuse "exasperate" and "exacerbate"?

#809194 - Mon Jul 16 2012 08:01 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mdurnanj]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
It does, but that's the definition in the reference dictionary - you will also encounter it in Word Wizard. As has been mentioned before, both of these games use an online dictionary that is not controlled from here, so we learn to live with its quirks.

#809240 - Tue Jul 17 2012 02:03 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Merriam Webster says:

exasperate

a : to excite the anger of : enrage
b : to cause irritation or annoyance to

obsolete : to make more grievous : aggravate

In which case, the opposite can be "to make better".

Oh my gosh, I've started to defend Mind Melt issues. I have crossed over to the dark side! Help!

#809365 - Tue Jul 17 2012 03:33 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: Chavs
Oh my gosh, I've started to defend Mind Melt issues. I have crossed over to the dark side! Help!

It's times like these that I search for the "Like" button on this forum! smile

#809950 - Fri Jul 20 2012 08:29 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
typo -
koan is a paradoxical [annecdote] or a riddle that has no solution - should be anecdote

#810715 - Wed Jul 25 2012 02:43 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
TimBentley Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana USA
and elsewhere is: used as an abbreviation of `et alibi'' when referring to other occurrences in a text

Technically, "and elsewhere" is the translation of "et alibi"; "et al." is the abbreviation. (I had previously only known of "et al." as an abbreviation of "et alii". I also learned about "et aliae" and "et alia".)

#811371 - Sat Jul 28 2012 09:53 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: TimBentley]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
foursome is related to gathering

You said: grouping

foursome means "four people considered as a unit"
gathering means "a group of persons together in one place"

grouping means "any number of entities (members) considered as a unit"

#813680 - Wed Aug 08 2012 02:54 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
Ghosttowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Tonopah Nevada USA          
Okay, while I have questioned quite a few answers on Mind Melt, this particular one necessitated putting it on the board:

eyesight is related to visual sense

You said: visual modality

eyesight means "normal use of the faculty of vision"
visual sense means "the ability to see"

photopic vision is related to visual modality

You said: visual sense

photopic vision means "normal vision in daylight"
visual modality means "the ability to see"

Since both answers I selected have the same exact definition "the ability to see" I sure can't understand how both are wrong answers!! LOL

#813682 - Wed Aug 08 2012 02:56 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Ghosttowner]
Ghosttowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Tonopah Nevada USA          
Guess I should have said "I sure can't SEE how both are wrong answers" :-)

#813704 - Wed Aug 08 2012 03:39 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Ghosttowner]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I had that set, and I got them the 'wrong' way around too. I think it's one of those times for shrugging your shoulders with a weak grin on your face.

#813727 - Wed Aug 08 2012 05:16 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I got them right... but only because the words "sense" and "sight" seem to go together as simple nouns whereas the other two seemed more technical - as though they'd been invented by an opthalmic surgeon whose grasp of adverbs might need some attention from a portentous mobilotome (aka a quick whack round the head with a dictionary).

#813749 - Wed Aug 08 2012 08:02 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
For all the apathy on extremely similar (or in one case, exact) definitions, can't one of the two be removed from the game to prevent this sort of thing?

Here's another one, akin to the one I posted before:

pain pill is related to medicament
You said: cure

pain pill means "a medicine used to relieve pain"
medicament means "(medicine) something that treats or prevents or alleviates the symptoms of disease"

cure means "a medicine or therapy that cures disease or relieve pain"

#815138 - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:58 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: nautilator]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Typos on the quotation marks in:

nigher is (comparative of `near'' or `close'') within a shorter distance; "come closer, my dear!"; "they drew nearer"; "getting nearer to the true explanation"

But the extra definitions had them correct. hmmm.

#815953 - Fri Aug 17 2012 02:36 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I just went through four minutes of doing MM, and after submitting my answers, it's says I didn't answer any of them and it gave me a 0/30! What's going on here?! I'm very angry.

Edited by cubswin2323 (Fri Aug 17 2012 02:36 PM)

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#817479 - Thu Aug 23 2012 05:46 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Buddy1]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
I normally just take this game as it comes and shake my head in amusement at some of the definitions.
However, today was one I wanted to share:
The definition of 'Take the bull by the horns' was NOT 'taking the bull by the horns' (that was actually one of the options) but something else. The other option was reasonable, but still.... got to laugh :-)

#817614 - Thu Aug 23 2012 10:27 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: MikeMaster99]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I had that question too, Mike. Since they were the same, I decided it was wise not to choose "taking the bull by the horns" as the option for "take the bull by the horns". That was the right decision, apparently, but I didn't like those two appearing in the same set. wink

#818088 - Fri Aug 24 2012 11:50 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: cubswin2323]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: cubswin2323
I just went through four minutes of doing MM, and after submitting my answers, it's says I didn't answer any of them and it gave me a 0/30! What's going on here?! I'm very angry.

I saw this thread and thought of you:

http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/809093/Mind_melt#Post809093

#821282 - Thu Sep 06 2012 04:53 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: cubswin2323]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Originally Posted By: cubswin2323

It just happened again. However, this time it was at my work IP, not my netbook IP. Obviously, there's bug that needs to be fixed here.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#821284 - Thu Sep 06 2012 05:07 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: cubswin2323]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
It doesn't look like an error on the server side - I'd rather suspect some network issue that prevents your form contents from being transmitted. You're calling the evaluation script through the submit but somewhere between your browser and the server, the actual form gets lost and it arrives as a blank request which is then (logically) interpreted as no questions having been answered.

Do you run some antivirus or other security software that could occasionally interfere with the sending? It can't be any of the site protection mechanisms since forms in MM can't transmit any content such a protection could dislike (and besides, if it were that, such a problem would hit all players of a specific question set).

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Sep 06 2012 05:09 PM)

#823533 - Fri Sep 14 2012 08:59 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: WesleyCrusher]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Odd punctuation typos continue. It appears that the apostrophe or single quotation mark does not exist, but is replaced by an accent mark. Double quotation marks are used for possessive nouns and a quote is opened with an accent but closed with double quotations. Is this a system that is used somewhere in the literary world?
From today's MM game:
- tighten one''s belt
- recording a person''s behavior
hypozeuxis is use of a series of parallel clauses (as in `I came, I saw, I conquered'')

Edited by ssabreman (Fri Sep 14 2012 09:00 AM)

Page 17 of 28 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Terry