Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#816136 - Sat Aug 18 2012 11:40 AM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Midget40]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thanks for saying what I have been thinking. I have already overspent my charitable donations budget for this year, and really can't afford to be "guilted" into donating to another one. I'm sure there are others here in the same boat.

#816141 - Sat Aug 18 2012 12:05 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Midget40]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I didn't mean to make anyone feel uncomfortable. frown
It's just such a fundamental right that so many are denied.

Edited by Jabberwok (Sat Aug 18 2012 12:06 PM)

#816153 - Sat Aug 18 2012 12:54 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Jabberwok]
TinyDetail Offline
Participant

Loc: Arkansas USA
I'm sorry for anyone that might feel uncomfortable, too. Suppose I didn't think about it because I never feel guilty when I don't want to give to any particular charity. My spouse & I give 100s of dollars through our church & some other organizations on a lower middle class income. We've previously given toward water filtration projects in S. America through our church.

Our budget is tight enough that I don't spend money on being a Gold member. I will have been a Gold twice when I take advantage of the current gift from Terry for donating (which I didn't know about when I chose to give) and when a teammate gave me a gift certificate. However, when we see an opportunity to help & feel in our hearts that it is something worthwhile, we trust the Lord to help us have the money to give & He does. We just don't put any limit on our charity because we borrow it from some place else in our budget if necessary (like our budgeted $20 every 2 weeks for eating out).

I don't believe any of us wants anyone to give out of guilt (and I KNOW Terry doesn't, as he's already said so!), so anyone who thinks that way needs to just realize it isn't true & do whatever their heart tells them to do... that is, give or not give. That's their privilege & their right. This won't cause me to keep trying to get people to take a look at the need & the opportunity because I think each of us should make decisions one way or another, rather than go about our merry ways or busy lives or overwhelmed personal existances & avoid helping out of not knowing the need & the special opportunity to give.

God bless all who have given toward their own personal charities & walked in generosity however they are led as well as those how have chosen to give to this project.

~~Tiny

#816157 - Sat Aug 18 2012 01:07 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: TinyDetail]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Mine was easier, we had a compulsory water meter fitted 6 months ago and our bill went down because we conserve resources. So I put the difference into the pot for the charity.
I agree that I was thoughtless, we have so many chuggers (charity muggers) round here, and half a dozen donation bags through the letter box every week. I too have no problem saying a guilt-free no. So apologies again.

#816167 - Sat Aug 18 2012 01:45 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Jabberwok]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
We have hooked up with a school in Africa and have been sending money and supplies there. It may not be as basic a right as clean water, but as a retired teacher I believe strongly in a right to basic education.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#816258 - Sun Aug 19 2012 05:35 AM Re: Charity: Water [Re: skunkee]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I'm sorry that I made any of you feel guilty - that certainly wasn't my intention.

I think it's great that you are all so passionate about a good cause.

It was just supposed to be a gentle reminder that others do feel differently.

I personally believe in giving to charitys but I know a lot of people that do get annoyed when they perceive they are being asked for money to support anything (maybe that is their guilty conscience) but we don't want to scare them from the site by making them feel uncomfortable.

#816261 - Sun Aug 19 2012 06:09 AM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Midget40]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Certainly no-one should feel guilty - or feel they're being pressurised - if they don't want or aren't able to donate to this charity (or any other). Giving to charity should never be a guilt trip.

But it is a good charity, it's a nice idea having a shared fundraising objective that people can chip in to if they wish, and there's certainly nothing wrong with people flagging it up sensitively on forums across the site.

It shouldn't be controversial, so let's keep it positive. smile

#816270 - Sun Aug 19 2012 10:09 AM Re: Charity: Water [Re: skunkee]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I am quite happy with how it is progressing. 40% of the way to the goal. If it takes another year to reach the end, well, so be it. Even if we didn't raise another dollar, we've made a difference.

I have not aggressively advertised or pushed this precisely because I don't want it to appear pushy or preachy. It's a background activity that those who both are able to and want to assist in are free to do so.

Terry

#816934 - Tue Aug 21 2012 02:59 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: sue943]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Well we passed 50% of the goal this morning!

#816955 - Tue Aug 21 2012 03:52 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Terry]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
That's fantastic. Even if we don't make the goal, that's still a substantial amount of money that can do some real good.

#816969 - Tue Aug 21 2012 05:11 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: agony]
underscored Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
I seriously think it is a good idea that if the money goes over the target then that amount can be banked and after the hole is dug and the work is done and everything is up and running, then another project for water , some where else cvould be started with the target amount being 1000 dollars above what is needed - again when the target is reached another well could be dug, theoretically this method could produce many fresh water taps all over the world - where they are needed.
In a perfect world ( I WISH) the many, who are actually quite rich in these countries would share their wealth and fix up their own country, look after their own people - not starve them.
Many of these countries where people are starving are literally rolling in riches which are claimed by a few - while this does make me angry, it is I believe the very definition of humane to demonstrate an unwillingness to be so greedy as to kill in this manner

#820201 - Fri Aug 31 2012 08:11 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: underscored]
TinyDetail Offline
Participant

Loc: Arkansas USA
The total is slowly creeping upwards. Just a bit more and that 60% would be reached. Thanks to everyone who has donated to this great cause. For all those who want to encourage others to give or just remind them, this might be a good time to remind people on our teams of the opportunity without any pressure or guilting. I know there are times when I "intend" to do something, but put it off for one reason or another and can use a little encouragement to go ahead & do it!

~~Tiny

#821098 - Wed Sep 05 2012 07:41 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: TinyDetail]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
There it is - 60%. Hopefully it will spark some new interest to reach the goal in 24 days.

Edited by ssabreman (Wed Sep 05 2012 07:41 PM)

#823306 - Thu Sep 13 2012 02:21 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: ssabreman]
faith177 Offline
Participant

Loc: British Columbia Canada      

I went to the page and donated but it is not recorded. I did click on a button that got me to a paypal page, would that have taken me out of our page and just recorded as a donation to them privately and not as a funtrivia member?

#823349 - Thu Sep 13 2012 03:00 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: faith177]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

I always use Paypal, it is just a safe transfer of funds and would have recorded the donation as you wished it to be. I got a bit confused when the charity form wanted a surname, so that's why I'm Jabberwok Llama. smile

#823385 - Thu Sep 13 2012 03:47 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Jabberwok]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Hmm not sure faith, that is strange. Was there a field that you were presented with to add a "comment"?

#823442 - Thu Sep 13 2012 11:03 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Terry]
faith177 Offline
Participant

yes and I did add a comment then it was a page for my credit card info, but I didnt fill it out there because I feel safer using paypal. I found a page that had paypal option on it and donated through that. So you dont see my payment as a donation Terry?

#823942 - Sat Sep 15 2012 01:12 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: faith177]
faith177 Offline
Participant

ok never mind I talked to them and figured out what happened.

#823975 - Sat Sep 15 2012 04:15 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: faith177]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Ok thanks -- will it appear by itself over time then on the list?

#824714 - Tue Sep 18 2012 04:20 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

We stand at 85% of our goal with 12 days left! Thank you so much to those who have donated. It's going to be close, but I think we can do it.

Please help us with our final push!

#825659 - Fri Sep 21 2012 08:34 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: sue943]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

We did it!!

Thanks to your contributions, we have raised our $5000 goal for Charity: Water. That is enough for the charity to install a well system for a village in a country of need. We will keep our donation page open for the duration of our campaign (8 days) in case anyone would like to raise our total.

Thanks for helping us make a difference.

I will post the project report that they will send us when the project gets installed, which should be sometime over the next year.

#825661 - Fri Sep 21 2012 08:50 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
That is so awesome! What a wonderful charity. smile

#825671 - Fri Sep 21 2012 09:11 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: salami_swami]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Great to hear it. I'd been checking out various problems worldwide and as water is the most essential item for life and actually easier to provide than food as relies more on infrastructure which once in place should work as long as there isn't a major drought, has to be one of the first ones to donate to as will make the most difference. And if used for infrastructure like pipework and sewage will last for a century or more once in place and save millions of diseases from the alternatives.

UN IPCC

#825675 - Fri Sep 21 2012 10:13 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: satguru]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I didn't see the paypal option, as i tried to give earlier this evening and it asked for credit card info and i don't use credit cards anymore.
Can we still give or is it capped now?

#825677 - Fri Sep 21 2012 10:18 PM Re: Charity: Water [Re: george48]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Yes, it's still open for donations and will be so for the next 8 days. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Terry