Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 20 of 47 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 46 47 >
Topic Options
#819776 - Thu Aug 30 2012 04:36 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Whoa, interesting little issue. What I did was the following:

- Buy a new challenge
- Receive an Easy: "Play top rated quiz Barry Manilow's 'Copacabana' and score at least 1032 points in game mode".
- Click through the provided link to play.
- Play, pass and rate the quiz, choosing "where I came from" as my next destination.

...and now I receive "You cannot buy any more challenges right now: you have more than 1 incomplete challenge."

The system automatically tried to buy for me upon return which got blocked (since the quiz was not yet marked complete and I had another incomplete in "Win a Crystal Ball". If it hadn't been for this latter part, it would automatically have completed a purchase.

(Solution would be to do a redirect after a purchase so that the remembered URL for the "go back" would not contain the purchase)

#819807 - Thu Aug 30 2012 07:07 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New York USA
I think the hero one has a bug, I didn't get it either and I think qualified.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#819841 - Thu Aug 30 2012 09:27 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Heroes should be fixed.

Wesley: there's actually protection against accidental buy, so even if you saw that msg it wouldn't have gone through.

Still, I should remove the message so it doesnt confuse people.

#819909 - Thu Aug 30 2012 02:26 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

Originally Posted By: Terry
Well it has to be fairly straightforward or my head will explode trying to make it and debug it.

System selects 5 quizzes that must be played and scored by either of the 2 players.

Player 1 gets info A
Player 2 gets info B

It is very difficult alone, and a lot easier with combined info.

Info A:
The quizzes you are searching for can be found in sub-categories X and Y.

Info B:
You need to score at least X correct on each quiz to get credit.
The required quizzes begin with the letters A,G,S,O,T.
One of the quizzes has been played XXX times. Another has been played YYY times.

You have completed the following quizzes as a team:

Or something like that

This was from page 10. Did we ever make a decision about this? It seemed like a fun idea.

#820128 - Fri Aug 31 2012 08:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: triviaking162]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I don't think the program registered that I'm salami_swami, Terry.

One of my challenges today has me playing a certain number of humanities quizzes. One of my quizzes is featured. smile

#820129 - Fri Aug 31 2012 08:45 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: salami_swami]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

What is more, since it is my own quiz, I cannot play it. I tried to play it, and I did not get a green check. Also, it did not mark it with a red x. The quiz is virtually unplayable; so it might as well not even be on the list.

#820141 - Fri Aug 31 2012 10:18 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: salami_swami]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Selection looks a bit skewed anyway - trying to avoid specific musicals yielded a very lopsided set. Maybe refining the algorithm manually by subcategory would yield best reuslts here, so instead of just trying to get 29 quizzes and avoiding certain over-specialized subjects, it could specifically be set up to create 30 quizzes in a nice variety:

- 3 quizzes from Art
- 5 from Mythology & Legends
- 1 from Performing Arts
- 5 from English / Vocabulary
- 1 from English / Idioms
- 1 from English / Etymology
- 1 from English / Spelling Bee
- 1 from English / Varieties
- 3 from Theatre / Musicals Mixture
- 2 from Theatre / Musicals A-G
- 2 from Theatre / Musicals H-N
- 2 from Theatre / Musicals O-Z
- 3 from any subcat not yet mentioned

and a similar list for the medium (15 quizzes)

We could similarly set this up for each other category. If you want me to, I'll run through the categories and do it for each one and put the results here for the other testers to look at. It will probably vastly pay off in terms of playability and fun - essentially doing the same thing that's being done for Pot of Gold.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Fri Aug 31 2012 10:22 AM)

#820145 - Fri Aug 31 2012 10:57 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

That sounds great, Wes. More varied would always be nice. smile

#820173 - Fri Aug 31 2012 04:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: salami_swami]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Salami, easy to fix you getting your own quiz.

Unfortunately, it's not too easy to fix the distribution of quizzes selected to be like pot of gold due to the way categories work. It works in pot of gold because I do it once a day, and so running complicated or numerous queries isn't a big deal. But I need to be able to keep things efficient for this.

I can do it efficiently if we take quizzes only from a subset of all categories.

The easiest way to do it in one query is to do a random selection out of a subset of sub-categories. So select 20 quizzes from all those in vocabulary, spelling bee, etc. Just exclude specific categories (so only include musicals mixture).

If you'd like to put together such category lists for the problematic categories (tv,music, sports, movies, etc being the biggest problems), we can improve selection quickly. For the smaller categories like animals we can stick with category-wide. Try to keep the pool sizes relatively large though.

Just need a list of sub-category numbers for each. Note that if you wanted to include an entire branch, ALL sub-categories of that branch need to be listed.

Movies: x,y,z,...

You can actually create entirely new virtual toplevel categories too if you wanted to, mixing sub-categories from different top-level categories under new headings.

Canada : selection,of,subcategories,across,different,toplevel,cats

#820191 - Fri Aug 31 2012 06:07 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Terry, can you do this in groups without queries getting out of hand? What would really be useful to balance things out would be to have an option to make certain categories appear in moderation without excluding them completely.

So e.g. Sports medium= 4(a,b,c,d), 3(e,f,g), 2(h,i,j,k,l), 6(m,n,o)

That way the player could be assured to get a nice mix of several things.

Also, is there a way you can automatically (just as a quick and dirty UI for setup) expand subcats? Some of them are extremely fragmented - I just looked at mythology which consists of 54 entries. Getting all those manually from the site is not only lengthy but also error-prone - a simple entry that returns the expanded string for placing in a document would do miracles.

*** Actually, no need for you to spend time coding such a thing, just send me a table dump of the individual parent-child relations (category X is child of Y) and I'll quickly whip up a PERL to do the actual expander myself. Testers who wish to help setting up virtuals could then run it off my server.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Sat Sep 01 2012 02:15 PM)

#820232 - Sat Sep 01 2012 12:09 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Today I have a set of 27 quizzes of which I have to play 20, scoring 7 or more correct. I have played 2 of them within the last month, so I won't be able to play those quizzes to complete today's challenge. If there were a larger pool of quizzes to chose from I wouldn't say this was a problem, but it now means that I only have 5 spare quizzes instead of 7 with which to complete the challenge. I know salami mentioned getting your own quizzes in a list as being a problem because it makes your pool smaller. Is there something that can be done about quizzes you've played in the last 30 days that can be built into the system as well, so that all the quizzes listed for the challenge are eligible for the checkmark?

#820351 - Sat Sep 01 2012 11:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

What does this challenge mean?

Play quiz Still More World Cities and score at least 286 points in game mode.
Haven't played yet. Incomplete  

It's a 10 qn quiz and 15 pts per question (150 pts). Maybe I'm missing something but this doesn't make sense to me.

#820360 - Sat Sep 01 2012 12:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: triviaking162]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Game mode - that's the timed Flash mode ("Play Quiz Game") for the quiz.

You get 100 points for an answer, minus time, just like in an hourly. Those points will at the end be divided by six to give your FT points, so 900 game points (10 correct, taking 10 seconds per question) gets you the normal 150 FT points. 286 thus is pretty much four correct.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Sat Sep 01 2012 12:01 PM)

#820375 - Sat Sep 01 2012 02:46 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

*face palm* I COMPLETELY forgot about that mode because I'm playing on an iDevice. It doesn't support flash. I'll do it when I get home.

#820398 - Sat Sep 01 2012 07:44 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: triviaking162]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

I bought a challenge that said to get 10/10 in the easy game in under 32 seconds. Last hour I got 10/10 in under 32 seconds and I didnt get credit. I think it was 27 seconds. The category was music. I really want to buy another!

#820474 - Sun Sep 02 2012 07:50 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: triviaking162]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

You sure triviaking? It shows as being complete

#820496 - Sun Sep 02 2012 10:04 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

Yeah, Terry. I did another one an hour or two later that met the challenge requirements. So it didn't matter. I just didn't report it when I finished.

#820557 - Sun Sep 02 2012 08:48 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: triviaking162]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

"You've found a box of old photographs. Score at least 8 answers correct in 4 of the following photo quizzes."

There's no mention in this task of "You may retake quizzes you have not played within the last 30 days". Is that not important to add with picture quizzes.

It also doesn't look like it is set up this way as I retook a quiz I took two weeks ago and got credit for it. I wanted to check to see if it was counted or not, and it was, so I'm just wondering if it is actually supposed to be, or not?

#820558 - Sun Sep 02 2012 09:02 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Also, what's my average time for a 10/10 in the Easy Game? 29 seconds seems a bit beyond my reach.

#820565 - Sun Sep 02 2012 10:30 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Completed 17 challenges today. I think that's enough for me. Getting late and time for bed. 2 left incomplete (I do not have the time to spend on the Buzzy Bee, plus I already have the associated badge). Everything worked fine, except maybe the photo quiz one (see previous post). Goodnight all.

#820634 - Mon Sep 03 2012 11:57 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Well, you guys are really helping out Terry ! Thank you for spending so much effort in testing those terrific new challenges !!!

#820647 - Mon Sep 03 2012 02:51 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: JanIQ]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I agree with JanIQ's comment. What a great service you're doing for all of us!

#820648 - Mon Sep 03 2012 02:58 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: shuehorn]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
We'll send the collection plate round later. wink

I can't speak for the others but I've had fun doing it. Got a bit tied up the past couple of days and haven't finished everything but tomorrow is another day... smile

#820655 - Mon Sep 03 2012 04:24 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: flopsymopsy]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Ill be back to work on it tomorrow. Got a big live fantasy football draft this aft wink

#820656 - Mon Sep 03 2012 04:29 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

It's been a blast! I've had so much fun!

And Terry, big fantasy football tip. Get Arian Foster wink

Page 20 of 47 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 46 47 >

Moderator:  Terry