Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#817412 - Thu Aug 23 2012 12:36 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: Snowman]
gazhammer Offline
Participant

Right, here we go then, skunkee has handed the baton on to jmorrow, who's first sentence is to inform me that the words "movie" and "starring" do not require capitalization.

Guess what, i searched my entire quiz and not one of these words are capitalized??? mad

Is everyone STILL ready to jump on the editor bandwagon and tell ME that I'M the one in the wrong?

I think i'll just stick to ANSWERING questions, at least this part IS fun.

I've now played hundreds of quizzes here and found countless spelling mistakes and poorly written questions, has this taken the fun out of it? quite simply, NO!

#817414 - Thu Aug 23 2012 01:07 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: gazhammer]
jmorrow Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Singapore
Since you persist in airing this in a public forum, even after having your attention drawn to the forum's policies on disputes with editors, I will provide my answer in this forum.

As has been explained to you at least twice now by two different editors, the words "movie" and "starring" that you have incorrectly capitalized are found in your quiz introduction. Last I checked, the quiz introduction forms part of the "entire quiz".

I will also add that "fun" is a completely subjective thing. One man's meat and all that.

Seems that we need to add the whole who's/whose confusion to that list of conundrums.

Just saying. wink

#817415 - Thu Aug 23 2012 01:08 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: gazhammer]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Guess what, i searched my entire quiz and not one of these words are capitalized???

Jmorrow mentions where in your quiz these words are capitalized in his note to you. :s

Quote:
I've now played hundreds of quizzes here and found countless spelling mistakes

I hope you've been sending corrections in for these.

A great deal of the corrections noted on your quiz are meticulously itemized for the reasons that previous editors have already stated-- we're trying to set you up to improve for future submissions and to adapt to the site's guidelines. I'm not trying to sound argumentative or confrontational or anything, but the tools have been provided, question by question, in an attempt to make your quiz (a) more palatable based on the ins, outs, and what-works of hundreds (if not thousands) of submissions we've seen go online in the past and (b) up to snuff with the expectations of grammar rules and the site/category guidelines.

Quiz-writing is not for everybody (as much as we love to see people joining in); we do expect a bit of back-and-forth in the beginning but effort needs to be put in from both sides-- cooperatively-- if we wish to see quizzes go online.

Editors are very much willing to help-- Jmorrow would not have taken over the editing process if this wasn't true-- but we can't write authors' quizzes for them. We're glad to help improve your quiz and correct surface errors (provided there aren't an overwhelming amount) but what each editor puts into another author's quiz is completely up to them. We get a good number of submissions in a day and the editors work on their own real-life free time to see them online; to make all the fixes to one quiz could take a great deal of time, and that would be unfair to the other authors waiting in line.

...that and it wouldn't really be the original author's work by the end. wink

This thread should probably be closed.

Edited by kyleisalive (Thu Aug 23 2012 01:30 AM)

#817417 - Thu Aug 23 2012 01:27 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: jmorrow]
gazhammer Offline
Participant

Originally Posted By: jmorrow
Since you persist in airing this in a public forum, even after having your attention drawn to the forum's policies on disputes with editors, I will provide my answer in this forum.

As has been explained to you at least twice now by two different editors, the words "movie" and "starring" that you have incorrectly capitalized are found in your quiz introduction. Last I checked, the quiz introduction forms part of the "entire quiz".

I will also add that "fun" is a completely subjective thing. One man's meat and all that.

Seems that we need to add the whole who's/whose confusion to that list of conundrums.

Just saying. wink

If your/you're/you are wink attempting to embarrass me by pointing out my English language shortcomings feel free.

Had i been an English Professor or professional writer, i may well have bitten, but as i have not studied the English language since i was 15/16(i'm now 40) and earn a living as a Roofer, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. wink

#817423 - Thu Aug 23 2012 02:24 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: gazhammer]
jmorrow Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Singapore
Quote:
If your/you're/you are attempting to embarrass me by pointing out my English language shortcomings feel free.

That was not my intention; I was simply responding in the forum you had chosen. I am perfectly prepared to proceed with the editing of your quiz through direct messages, where there should be zero opportunities for embarrassment, since there will be no audience. The choice is yours.

If you still feel that you are being victimized here, I will say this. You were the one who started this thread with what can only be described as an open attempt at ridiculing your previous editor's efforts in helping you with your quiz. If I caused any offense with my words, I sincerely apologize. However, I have always been a firm believer in the following saying: What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

That said, I remain willing to work with you on your quiz. As has already been mentioned in this thread, the author-editor dynamic is a cooperative one, and it is up to you to decide what you would like to have reciprocated in this relationship - cooperation, or something else entirely.

#817430 - Thu Aug 23 2012 02:34 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: jmorrow]
gazhammer Offline
Participant

Originally Posted By: jmorrow
Quote:
If your/you're/you are attempting to embarrass me by pointing out my English language shortcomings feel free.

That was not my intention; I was simply responding in the forum you had chosen. I am perfectly prepared to proceed with the editing of your quiz through direct messages, where there should be zero opportunities for embarrassment, since there will be no audience. The choice is yours.

If you still feel that you are being victimized here, I will say this. You were the one who started this thread with what can only be described as an open attempt at ridiculing your previous editor's efforts in helping you with your quiz. If I caused any offense with my words, I sincerely apologize. However, I have always been a firm believer in the following saying: What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

That said, I remain willing to work with you on your quiz. As has already been mentioned in this thread, the author-editor dynamic is a cooperative one, and it is up to you to decide what you would like to have reciprocated in this relationship - cooperation, or something else entirely.

I have sent you an updated and hopefully finished quiz, if you feel it is still not worthy of the site i will gladly bin it.

Cheers

#817436 - Thu Aug 23 2012 03:02 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: Snowman]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD†Australia††††
Iíve had about three or four quizzes rejected by the editors and I'm an English teacher, so it really doesn't matter what your occupation is. If you don't create a quiz that is up to standard, then it isn't going to be accepted. I think many funtrivia members have had this happen to them.

The editors are here to help. They want to see great quizzes go online so we can all enjoy them. They certainly don't go out of their way to cause problems so that quizzes don't go online.

I suggest instead of carrying on in this thread, you go back and fix your quiz up. If you donít want to do that, then get over it and keep playing your games and try to have some fun. Thatís what this site is all about after all, I think thatís why itís called funtrivia smile

Eventually I created another quiz and it was accepted with only one correction, then a week later I had another accepted with no corrections. Iím currently writing my third quiz, and, if it gets sent back, then there is a reason.

Why donít you join a team and get to know the members, and then get one of them to proofread your quiz? A fresh set of eyeballs is always good smile

#817477 - Thu Aug 23 2012 05:31 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: bubbatom1]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
This page:
http://www.funtrivia.com/ql.cfm?cat=3533
either linked here, or accessed through the Home Page Left side Bar Quizzes - General Knowlege - Index - Quiz Authoring Guidelines, is a valuable source of information about all the little bits and pieces that need to be considered, or are FT's rules for ambiguous situations. I know I found the subcategories listed at the bottom of the page helpful in understanding the rules (they also serve to form a basis for Corrective Notes). Seeing what the rules are can help explain why a certain request was made sometimes. Please don't give up.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#817478 - Thu Aug 23 2012 05:42 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: mehaul]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario†Canada†††††††††
Thank you for sharing that link, mehaul, as that page can certainly be useful for new and experienced authors alike. Keep in mind, however, that this list isn't be-all and end-all. Many of the site's Quiz Creation Guidelines are posted here, but there are also category guidelines and there may be something that doesn't work in a quiz that's not listed anywhere and it's only the editors' previous experience with a similar situation that shows it is a problem at all.

We're not trying to harass anyone with quiz rejections, we just have a lot of experience with what does and does not work. And honestly, which would you rather have? One rejection note now from an editor who points out how the problem can be fixed (or wording improved, etc.), or tens of correction notes later on from players who are confused/annoyed because of an issue that might have been taken care of earlier on?

Edited by LadyCaitriona (Thu Aug 23 2012 05:44 AM)

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#817500 - Thu Aug 23 2012 07:19 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: LadyCaitriona]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Doesn't matter what your occupation is, nor does it after how many quizzes you already have online. I have383 online and still get them. Rumor has it that Kyle, with 1400, also gets the rare correction note. wink

Apostrophe catastrophe. Love that phrase. :P

#817510 - Thu Aug 23 2012 08:28 AM Re: Fun Trivia - Is It? [Re: salami_swami]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I think jmorrow and gazhammer can take this this up in private from here on.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  agony, gtho4