Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#819107 - Tue Aug 28 2012 05:30 AM Clarification on Question Quest Author Challenge
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T. Australia     
Hi all,

I've checked the threads going back two years and didn't find this, so apologies if it's already been asked.

The introductory text for the QQAC badge refers to "the desirable 55% to 95% correct answer range". The criteria then say "...where 55% to 90% of players answered correctly".

So, is the upper limit 90%, as the badge criteria says, or 95%, as the "desirable range" implies it could be?

Cheers,
lorance, who has a whole bunch of questions scoring 91%-95% correct smile

#819163 - Tue Aug 28 2012 08:02 AM Re: Clarification on Question Quest Author Challenge [Re: lorance79]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Caveat: Not an editor but have some of the badges for single questions.
I think the New Question Game even has a different set of % limits stated (edit: somewhere there was a lower limit of 50% stated but it may have been corrected). It has been threaded before (There are so many topics on this under various names: Single Questions, Author Badges, New Questions, Quality Questions, etc). There's no recourse but to shoot for doing the best you can and hoping the rest of us appreciate your work. To get fifty good'uns, you will have to write 100 or so making whether that brings you a 54.9% or 96% on an individual Q not matter too much in the long run. Just write more Qs.
I don't think there's any confusion on needing the 0.20 or better rating.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Aug 28 2012 08:09 AM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#819175 - Tue Aug 28 2012 09:33 AM Re: Clarification on Question Quest Author Challenge [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
It's a little unclear, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As a general rule of thumb, a question with a better than 90% success rate won't meet the player approval rating, as most players don't like "gimmee" questions and give them a low rating. It's hard to write a good, easy question.

As Mehaul says, you'll have to write a lot more than fifty questions to get the badge, so if it takes 112 questions rather than 109 doesn't matter much in the long run.

#819176 - Tue Aug 28 2012 09:38 AM Re: Clarification on Question Quest Author Challenge [Re: mehaul]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
I counted my questions (using 55-95% correct and 0.20+ rating) and got 56 when the page says 61. Then again, when you've got 112 questions, you're likely to miscount a bit.

I guess it doesn't really matter too much when you're writing questions - if you aim for 75% correct (and an interesting question, of course) then you should have at least a 20% margin of error.

~(_8(I)

#819948 - Thu Aug 30 2012 05:00 PM Re: Clarification on Question Quest Author Challenge [Re: AdamM7]
nautilator Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I had a question with 99% and it counted towards QQ. There's no upper limit on what counts for QQ purposes. It's just very hard to get more than 95% of people to get a question right, without it being too simple to be accepted.

#819952 - Thu Aug 30 2012 05:18 PM Re: Clarification on Question Quest Author Challenge [Re: agony]
nautilator Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Originally Posted By: agony
As a general rule of thumb, a question with a better than 90% success rate won't meet the player approval rating, as most players don't like "gimmee" questions and give them a low rating. It's hard to write a good, easy question.

I actually did a regression analysis comparing the ratings and % on my own questions (about 100 of them), and found zero correlation between the two. In my experience it's not the easy but rather the simple questions that people don't like. It's hard to write a good simple question, and that can generally be gauged by how many words the question has.

Moderator:  agony