Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
A country road in Aldenham

UN IPCC

#824024 - Sat Sep 15 2012 07:59 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Timaru NZ
You shall not pass......
The paddock at one end of the short Dashing Rocks walkway, on occasion you find cows and sheep in there. They relented and allowed me to pass without paying a toll.

#824031 - Sat Sep 15 2012 09:57 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
Great photos here. Santana, I'm enjoying the ones of Brittany. Beautiful cows, Howie. My grandmother has a farm and I love spending time with her cows there.

Photobucket is giving me trouble so I haven't been able to upload any photos.

#824038 - Sat Sep 15 2012 11:13 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: zorba_scank]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I had trouble with Photobucket, too. I had to wait for hours before I could upload.

#824050 - Sun Sep 16 2012 02:16 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ren33]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
Love that pond, looks so tranquil... A place I could just sit and read... Also love that raod, Satguru, and those cows!
Thanks for the info, MotherGoose, that does make sense. I'll Google it to find exactly what it is!

Here is the photo of them all in flight. Was super lucky to get this one, they all passed in a flash. Also glad it isn't out of focus!

Edited by Daaanieeel (Sun Sep 16 2012 02:27 AM)

#824058 - Sun Sep 16 2012 04:11 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Daaanieeel]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Love the butterflies of course and all the other pictures are great too.

Howie: your posts always make me smile. As for your latest one, since those cows had no horns, would that make it a poll-gate? ~~~

Flopsy: thanks for identifying the flower! Chavs: thanks for the link : )

ClaraSue: you can post pix of the pond and the lilies forever, I'll never tire of them. Gorgeous.

Daniel (can we call you Daniel? I keep forgetting how many extra a's and e's to add lol): Not completely sure what sort of birds you have there (other than the white ones) without closeups. If they are indeed all gulls (which they could be), then I'd hate to be one of the five babysitters lol. In the pre-flight picture, the brown birds (yes I know juvenile gulls are not white, but here anyway, they're never that brown) seem to be sitting very low in the water (as ducks do). Gulls are fliers, not swimmers, and sit high on the water - they tend to look more like they "bob" than anything else - and typically hold their tails/butts out of the water in a distinct upright position. Gulls also have very short necks and short, sort of "blunted" fantails. The darkest birds (almost black) in your second picture appear to have longer necks and might be cormorants or black ducks. As for the brown ones IN flight? They look like fruit bats to me from here (so what do I know??? LOL!). Will be curious to hear what you find out in your research.

Yes, I know the sun "should" look more round/uniform, but I didn't alter anything.
Sunset on a Cuban beach. Wish you could have been there as the camera doesn't do it justice.
It was as if the whole world was bathed in gold, bronze and copper (blissful sigh).
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#824060 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:07 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Jakeroo]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks for that Jakeroo (nice photo as well!)- call me Daniel if you want (that must be my most-used phrase on FT lol). Even Dan will do. smile Unfortunately I couldn't get a better shot of them in the pack because they didn't get very close and the zoom on my camera isn't fantastic. I think some birds look darker than others in the second shot because of the shadowing- the sun was just beginning to set when I took it. I'm pretty sure that they're cormorants that are in flight (I see them quite often, particularly little pied cormorants), which leads me to believe they were cormorants on the water as well. If only I could have got closer! I took a photo the same day of what I believe is the same type of bird, and it does look a lot like a cormorant. I'll share it tomorrow to see if anyone can tell me what species it is. For now, I'm going to bet they were cormorants on the water.

Edited by Daaanieeel (Sun Sep 16 2012 06:39 AM)

#824062 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:15 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Daaanieeel]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
ClaraSue, that is a gorgeous scene, I have 'pinched it' as it might be perfect on a sympathy card at some stage.

#824064 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:54 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: sue943]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
Thanks, ClaraSue. I was wondering if it's some problem at my end since it's been happening for the past few days.

Jakeroo, gorgeous photo.

Jog Falls, Karnataka. At a height of 253 meters, they are the second highest waterfalls in India. There were 1500 steps to the base but I only had time to make about halfway down.

#824119 - Sun Sep 16 2012 11:33 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: zorba_scank]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
The lake at Wimbledon Park

UN IPCC

#824130 - Sun Sep 16 2012 01:03 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
Dotb Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oswestry Shropshire UK       
Thanks for the messages of congratulations. I've been too busy to take photos (other than of my new grandson, that is) as I've been working and leaving the house at 6.30 and not getting home (to prepare for the next day) at 5.30. Not much time for photos.

However, you have all done so well this month. I love the diversity of photos you are all posting. There are some lovely pictures of animals and fantastic scenerey too. I've enjoyed looking at them all. Thank you. smile

#824134 - Sun Sep 16 2012 01:13 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Dotb]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Is he your first grandchild? Congrats "gramma"Dot : )))

Zorba and Daniel: thanks, you are always most kind.

Zorba: Personally I prefer your pic. And yikes - that many stairs? Seems like a prime location for zip line, then you only have to walk the stairs once. Maybe we should start up a "biz" together lol

David: lovely lake picture. Am sure you'd rather that those pesky Canada geese weren't there though!

Edited by Jakeroo (Sun Sep 16 2012 01:41 PM)
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#824140 - Sun Sep 16 2012 02:41 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Jakeroo]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
I can't really remember the last time I posted here. I haven't been very snap-happy lately, either, and I would like to fix this! Anyway, at the insistence of a certain Jakeroo (:P), I will begin posting again smile

#824156 - Sun Sep 16 2012 04:35 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: AlexxSchneider]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Part of the gardens at Hatfield House

#824158 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:04 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Those honeysuckle berries look as though a mere touch and they would explode!

Jakeroo, your golden beach looks heavenly!

Sue, you are more than welcome to "pinch" a photo at any time! I remember years ago you took a copy of one and made a beautiful card for my father. laugh

I took dozens of photos of the water lilies, but here's some day lilies that were at the same park.

#824160 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:22 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ClaraSue]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Those are lovely. They do look good en masse, especially that colour, they almost glow they are so vibrant

#824161 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:23 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Ah, Ranunculaceae. Alex, sometimes "simple" is the "bestest" when it comes to pure visual pleasure. As a child I remember "snuffling" flowers like those (which resulted in a VERY yellow nose lol). Thanks for posting it :))

Christina: lovely garden. Wish our growing season was as long as yours!

#824162 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:26 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Jakeroo]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

oops, while I was posting the last, I missed ClaraSue's entry. LOVE your photo (orange is a favourite colour for me). Oh, and since you don't mind "pinching" may I paint your water lily? I've been waiting for a subject that stirred me....

#824164 - Sun Sep 16 2012 06:09 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Jakeroo]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Jakeroo, be my guest. I'm flattered that so many like the lilies. I took so many photos of different ones in different stages of opening and closing over a two day period. I did not know that they close each night at sundown and open back up the next day. I'd like to show more, but I didn't want to bore the good folks here with the same subject.

#824181 - Sun Sep 16 2012 08:26 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ClaraSue]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Timaru NZ
Did someone mention pesky Canada geese? Here are some from around the Washdyke Lagoon (near the Smithfield rockpools) after a lot of rain.

#824199 - Mon Sep 17 2012 12:06 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
What a gorgeous day lilly, Clarasue! And Jakeroo your cuabn sunset is stunning! No wonder Sue is pinching it for her cards!

#824202 - Mon Sep 17 2012 02:46 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ren33]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Love that waterfall, the flowers and those ducks. smile

This is a photo of the type of bird I'm guessing was in that group, it looks the right size of the ones in flight and definitely the right colour. Wonder why it wasn't with the others? It's a cormorant of some type I think- a great cormorant perahps?

Edited by Daaanieeel (Mon Sep 17 2012 08:23 AM)

#824247 - Mon Sep 17 2012 06:00 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Daaanieeel]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Fantastic photos as usual.

Thank you ClaraSue, yes I remember the card.

#824254 - Mon Sep 17 2012 07:04 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: sue943]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Yesterday, my husband and I took a rode trip on our motorcyles around the area. It was a great ride and I took a few photos along the way (when stopped, of course, laugh ). People have the misconception that Arizona is nothing but desert. We have lots of sand and cacti, sure, but there are a lot of mountains, trees, and water, too. This is Canyon Lake approx 50 miles east of Phoenix.

#824259 - Mon Sep 17 2012 07:25 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: sue943]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Santana: Thanks! (but I think it's the water lily Sue is interested in lol)

Howie: Oh noooooooo... they're in New Zealand too?? Good grief. I apologise on behalf of my entire country lol.

Daniel: I don't think that's a cormorant as the neck seems too long, as does the bill (and it doesn't appear to have the characteristic "crook" on the end of it that cormorants have). It also has a distinctive white stripe going from the bill down the neck. Bearing in mind that the bird is probably still wet (and so will look darker than when it is dry), I think what you have there is a "Darter" (either Anhinga melanogaster or Anhinga novaehollandiae). I also think it's male. That doesn't mean that there wasn't a bunch of cormorants in the big group though lol. Anyway, if you can find an online birding, zoo or university website for your location with a contact email address, I'd suggest sending them your picture and maybe they would do a better job of identifying it for you : ) I've had good success here by sending weird spider pics by that method and the folks seemed quite happy to help out!

Page 8 of 14 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33