Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 40 of 50 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 49 50 >
Topic Options
#816303 - Sun Aug 19 2012 02:07 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
tatwood Offline
Participant

Loc: Western Massachusetts USA
3. Aberration
Your answer: something abnormal or anomalous
something abnormal or anomalous is the definition for "miscreation"
The correct answer was a disorder in one's mental state

ab•er•ra•tion ( b -r sh n)
n.
1. A deviation from the proper or expected course. See Synonyms at deviation.
2. A departure from the normal or typical: events that were aberrations from the norm.
3. Psychology A disorder or abnormal alteration in one's mental state.
a. A defect of focus, such as blurring in an image.
b. An imperfect image caused by a physical defect in an optical element, as in a lens.
5. The apparent displacement of the position of a celestial body in the direction of motion of an observer on Earth, caused by the motion of Earth and the finite velocity of light.
6. Genetics A deviation in the normal structure or number of chromosomes in an organism.

Arrrggg....

#816338 - Sun Aug 19 2012 06:02 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: tatwood]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Though you highlighted definition 2, definition 3 paraphrases almost word for word what was given as the correct answer.
"A disorder or abnormal alteration in one's mental state."
vs
"a disorder in one's mental state".

(You should cite your source of information to allay plagiarism and copyright infringement claims. I don't think anyone would accuse you of claiming to have written these definitions yourself, but the work of others needs to be acknowleged by attribution (found those two 'A' words while looking in the A's in Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (1993), tenth edition). wink wink )
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#816472 - Mon Aug 20 2012 07:48 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
tatwood Offline
Participant

Loc: Western Massachusetts USA
I know that. I highlighted the second definition because it was closest to the answer I submitted. 'A departure from the normal' would be something 'abnormal' or an 'aberration.'

Source: freedictionary.com

Edited by tatwood (Mon Aug 20 2012 07:48 AM)

#818226 - Fri Aug 24 2012 07:20 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Terry]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Thanks Terry for getting rid of the mostly objectionable street slang, especially illegal drug names for which I have no reference for.

Could you also please consider removing some of these obscure slang expressions that no one in a million years (i.e., me) would ever be familiar with.

Corporation....The correct answer was slang terms for a paunch.

Besides, I thought PAUNCH was slang for protruding belly...so is CORPORATION slang for a slang term? How's a girl supposed to keep up? wink

I know it's a big job but is it perhaps possible to eliminate everything that has the word "slang" in the definition? Just a suggestion, I know you're pretty busy right now.

Thanks!
Barbara

#818230 - Fri Aug 24 2012 07:34 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Barbarini]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Umm, I'd have got that one, actually. I think eliminating all slang would make it a much duller game.

Edited to add that "paunch" is not slang, it simply means a protruding belly, or even just the belly.

Edited by spanishliz (Fri Aug 24 2012 07:37 PM)

#818237 - Fri Aug 24 2012 08:32 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By: spanishliz
Edited to add that "paunch" is not slang, it simply means a protruding belly, or even just the belly.

I stand corrected! Although where we grew up it we viewed it as a slang term. Northern Irish English doesn't always come across as the same to others.

#818242 - Fri Aug 24 2012 08:52 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Barbarini]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
Both of these incomplete definitions can be confusing. The definition for "serviette" is missing, perhaps, the words "cloth used" at the beginning, and the definition for "sacramental wine" is missing the word "wine" at the beginning. Otherwise, the definition "to protect clothing" for "serviette" is just wrong, as I can't find a usage of "serviette" as a verb in English.

Serviette

Your answer: used in a communion service

used in a communion service is the definition for "sacramental_wine"

The correct answer was to protect clothing

#818345 - Sat Aug 25 2012 11:30 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Terry]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
Typo:

3 an exceptional interest in and admiration for yourself

transmutation
bench
narcism
oddness
begrudge
brawl

"narcism" should be "narcissism" -the correct answer!

#818356 - Sat Aug 25 2012 12:27 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: sportsherald]
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA               
narcism is listed by several sources on the web as an alternative for narcissism. It is a perfectly good answer.

#818387 - Sat Aug 25 2012 02:48 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: maninmidohio]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Just to be difficult:

Although "narcism" is sometimes used, it is generally considered to be being used erroneously, and is not considered as valid as "narcissism". Its entry in any dictionary derives purely from the misspelling of "narcissism", it has no other history.

That may make it eligible for Word Wizard answers which include obscure words but we should bear in mind that we should all be using the correct spelling, even if we also pronounce it as "narcism", and that it's not a perfectly acceptable alternative in most circumstances, certainly not in the psychological profession where it is most used.

Unless we are staging a coup, of course.

http://wordinfo.info/unit/1368/ip:1/il:N

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=narcissism

#818388 - Sat Aug 25 2012 02:55 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I've studied the origins of the word while in classics classes in school. The word "narcissism" comes from the Greek "Narcissus" who was so in love with his own reflection that he starved to death because he forgot to eat. It is definitely spelled "narcissism". I've never seen it spelled any other way, and I've only ever heard it pronounced with three syllables: like "NAR-sis-ism".

#818406 - Sat Aug 25 2012 03:53 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: kaddarsgirl]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Is there a word missing?

The quality of being at a competitive disadvantage
Your answer: unfavorable position

#818840 - Mon Aug 27 2012 07:34 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Terry]
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T. Australia     
Lower middle class (shopkeepers and clerical staff etc.)

Petty bourgeoisie.

-----------------

Unless this is a legitimate American spelling that I'm unfamiliar with, shouldn't it be *petite* bourgeoisie?

#818841 - Mon Aug 27 2012 07:37 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: lorance79]
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T. Australia     
Re narcism: several sources on the web is not the same as authoritative sources.

Shall we allow "terrism" as an acceptable spelling because that's how "terrorism" is pronounced in a particular accent?

#818844 - Mon Aug 27 2012 08:38 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: lorance79]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Is "terrism" listed in any dictionary? "Narcism" is. My point is that it's used enough for it to be included in some dictionaries but that the use is still wrong! wink

Edited by Chavs (Mon Aug 27 2012 08:42 AM)

#819159 - Tue Aug 28 2012 07:47 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Don't anyone go nucular here.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#819521 - Wed Aug 29 2012 12:17 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Canon - a ravine formed by a river in an area with little rainfall

This is not correct unless it is spelled cañon. Without the ~ accent, the meaning and pronunciation are very different. Entry should be removed or include the ~ mark.

dictionary.com
ca·ñon / [kan-yuhn]
noun
canyon

Edited by ssabreman (Wed Aug 29 2012 12:51 PM)

#819879 - Thu Aug 30 2012 10:57 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
Isn't substituting the tilde accent with the letter 'h' an acceptable substitution? Like in piranha, for example.

#819975 - Thu Aug 30 2012 08:39 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: AlexxSchneider]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Or even just spelling it canyon. wink

#820509 - Sun Sep 02 2012 11:18 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Got this one again. Doesn't it need 'at' in the phrase?

11. The quality of being a competitive disadvantage
Your answer: unfavorable position

#820554 - Sun Sep 02 2012 07:51 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: maninmidohio]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Quote:
narcism is listed by several sources on the web as an alternative for narcissism. It is a perfectly good answer.

No. There is a lot of plagiarism in the internet, and very often several inaccurate 'sources' go back to one single bad source. So, 'several sources on the web' is often meaningless.

Edited to say:

Sorry! To my surprise, I see that Collins online dictionary in fact gives narcism as an alternative to narcissism .

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/narcism

Edited by bloomsby (Sun Sep 02 2012 08:01 PM)

#820572 - Mon Sep 03 2012 12:26 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: bloomsby]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Part of a word missing? - 'one'
11. Counsellor
Your answer: some[one] who gives advice about problems

#820624 - Mon Sep 03 2012 10:42 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
'13 pot likker

a nation that possesses formidable naval strength
wet thoroughly
a small ring-shaped friedcake
a sculptural relief between low relief and high relief
the liquid in which vegetables or meat have be cooked
(music) the relative duration of a musical note '

I have two issues with this one. First, "likker" instead of "liquor"? When I first saw this, I thought it might be a pejorative term for Protestants that slipped through. Second, the correct answer, "the liquid in which vegetables or meat have be cooked," surely should be, "the liquid in which vegetables or meat have BEEN cooked."

#820629 - Mon Sep 03 2012 11:16 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: sportsherald]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
"14. Place
The correct answer was instal"

"Install" is spelled with 2 "L"s, not 1.

#820631 - Mon Sep 03 2012 11:47 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: kaddarsgirl]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Instal with one "l" is a (chiefly) British variant spelling, but is not incorrect.

Page 40 of 50 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 49 50 >

Moderator:  Terry