Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Rear view of Hatfield House in Essex.

#821509 - Fri Sep 07 2012 07:26 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
satguru Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Who remembers these? One of the last remaining signs for Rover cars in the country. They only added the 'used' recently as well.

UN IPCC

#821541 - Fri Sep 07 2012 11:31 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
The stalking of the bird by the people on the sailboat in front of the Toronto Islands.

#821542 - Fri Sep 07 2012 11:37 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

This is a piece of Skylab which landed in Greenbushes and is now incorporated into the children's playground of the Greenbushes Primary School in Western Australia. Greenbushes is a small town (and I mean small - don't blink or you'll miss it), a few hours drive south-east of Perth and until recently my foster daughter was living there. I took this photo in June when I visited her for her birthday.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Skylab, these bits of information from Wikipedia will explain:

Skylab was a space station launched and operated by NASA (the space agency of the United States) and was the U.S.'s first space station. Skylab orbited the Earth from 1973 to 1979...

Skylab's demise was an international media event, with merchandising of t-shirts and hats with bullseyes, wagering on the time and place of re-entry, and nightly news reports...

NASA calculated that the odds of station re-entry debris hitting a human were 1 to 152-although the odds of debris hitting a city of 100,000 or more were 1 to 7—and special teams were readied to head to any country hit by debris and requesting help.

In the hours before re-entry, ground controllers adjusted Skylab's orientation to try to minimize the risk of re-entry on a populated area. They aimed the station at a spot 810 miles (1,300 km) south southeast of Cape Town, South Africa, and re-entry began at approximately 16:37 UTC 11 July 1979...

The station did not burn up as fast as NASA expected, however. Due to a 4% calculation error, debris landed southeast of Perth, Western Australia...

#821547 - Sat Sep 08 2012 02:13 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: MotherGoose]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Satguru, yes I do remember those. The garage at the end of our road used to be a Rover franchise - sells any sort of second hand car now.

Howie - that is so funny

MG - Lucky they didn't get the calculation any more wrong! What a great thing to have in the playground though.

#821723 - Sat Sep 08 2012 04:19 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

At Colchester Zoo you can feed the elephants - which is a pretty cool thing to do. Once you get close up to them, and you are only about a foot or two away, you realise how big they actually are, yet when they take the food from you the trunk is surprisingly gentle, if a bit slobbery.

#821730 - Sat Sep 08 2012 04:34 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
Wow, Christina, I'll have to get down to Colchester Zoo - elephants are my favorite animal!

#821733 - Sat Sep 08 2012 04:49 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: AlexxSchneider]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Mine too. They do a feeding session twice a day and it is very popular, but if you go "out of season" and avoid school holidays you get a good long session with them as there aren't the same crowds there are in summer.

#821736 - Sat Sep 08 2012 05:00 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
satguru Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
A country road just north of Battle

UN IPCC

#821767 - Sat Sep 08 2012 08:19 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I love elephants, too. I remember getting to ride one when I was muuuuuch younger.

Cool boat, Howie. And poor bird being stalked. I hope it wasn't this one.

#821768 - Sat Sep 08 2012 08:27 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
demurechicky Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Leeds West Yorkshire UK       
Talking about elephants, I recall when my daughter was 3 years old, we went to Chester zoo. We adopted a baby elephant for her and she wanted to 'bring it home'. When I said it had to stay at the zoo, she burst in to floods of tears. I asked her where she would keep it and she said, 'in my bed'. It took rather a long time to explain the adoption process etc, and the fact that elephants grew rather large! My daughter still laughs about it to this day! So Christina, your elephant pic brought back some giggles...thank you for the memory jog!

#821801 - Sun Sep 09 2012 03:38 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: demurechicky]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

This strange building is the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. I went in but did not have much time before I had to return to the hostel and catch the airport bus so I did not pay the expensive entry fee to look around briefly.

#821803 - Sun Sep 09 2012 03:52 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
Mugaboo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Scotland UK
In 2012 each Olympic gold medal winner, has had a post box painted gold in honour of them in their hometown. This is the post box in Lossiemouth, in honour of Britain's first gold medalist, Heather Stanning in the coxless pairs rowing.

#821805 - Sun Sep 09 2012 05:13 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
"This strange building is the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto"

Oh, that's just hideous. How could they have added that monstrosity onto that beautiful old building? I think that's probably the worst case of architectural rape I've ever seen.

#821840 - Sun Sep 09 2012 06:50 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: MotherGoose]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
Nap time.

#821852 - Sun Sep 09 2012 07:52 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: zorba_scank]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
Aaaawwww, love that one Zorba. smile Lovely pics everyone. Sorry I haven't posted for a bit, been super busy. Hopefully post my last Bali photo tomorrow.

#821920 - Sun Sep 09 2012 02:52 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Daaanieeel]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Oh no, can anyone guess what happened to the driver of this Mini?

#821935 - Sun Sep 09 2012 04:11 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: demurechicky]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: demurechicky
Talking about elephants, I recall when my daughter was 3 years old, we went to Chester zoo. We adopted a baby elephant for her and she wanted to 'bring it home'. When I said it had to stay at the zoo, she burst in to floods of tears. I asked her where she would keep it and she said, 'in my bed'. It took rather a long time to explain the adoption process etc, and the fact that elephants grew rather large! My daughter still laughs about it to this day! So Christina, your elephant pic brought back some giggles...thank you for the memory jog!

Oh dear, I'm imaganing your daughter curled up in bed with a baby elephant, and where would it sleep when it got bigger?

#821941 - Sun Sep 09 2012 04:17 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

We went to the Essex Country Show today, an annual event that is the biggest in the County. There are always a lot of heavy horses there, both dressed for display and in ploughing competitions and the like. This beautifully turned out horse and rig really was the star of the display ring though.

#821944 - Sun Sep 09 2012 04:20 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Flopsy, is that one of those remote controlled cars they were using for bringing back the discus and that sort of thing?

Zorba scank - love that dog. Only a dog can sleep like that

Howie, have to agree with the architectural rape comment. That is just the most awful thing to stick onto a lovely old building. Bet the architect won awards for it as well.

#821952 - Sun Sep 09 2012 04:45 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
What a cute dog, zorba!

I'm always watching out for tornado's while on the road because they scare me so badly, especially after having been caught in a few. This cloud cover had me watching closely recently near Houston, Texas. Instead there was just a lot of rain.

#821953 - Sun Sep 09 2012 04:58 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: Christinap
Flopsy, is that one of those remote controlled cars they were using for bringing back the discus and that sort of thing?

Yes it is! We went to the Paralympics yesterday and there were four of those little minis bringing back the javelins. We all said that controlling one of them must be the best job at the games, lol.

#821957 - Sun Sep 09 2012 05:14 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: flopsymopsy]
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Yes, I too agree about them destroying the beauty of older buildings. I could not believe it when I saw it, I just had to take a photo to remind us of the ridiculous things we do.

#821959 - Sun Sep 09 2012 05:25 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

I think that is one of the worst examples I've seen

#821967 - Sun Sep 09 2012 06:37 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Gees63 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tyneside UK
Some Colour in the garden, after a poor summer a bit of sunshine does wonders

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33