Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
A typical British harvest view in Kingswood, Surrey

UN IPCC

#821995 - Mon Sep 10 2012 12:10 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Wow What fabulous photos already!
Howie I love your ship, and Christina that elephant is just sooo cute! Your dog looks totally at peace with the world, Zorba! Clara those storm clouds do look pretty menacing, don't they?

Here's a pretty, pink CrÍperie in Le FaouÍt, Brittany:

#822014 - Mon Sep 10 2012 03:00 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Santana2002]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Timaru NZ
Now for a building that has not been massacred with a modern building attached. Here is the Provincial Legislature in Toronto.

#822027 - Mon Sep 10 2012 08:09 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Ah, much better looking buildings, Howie and Santana!

Our nearest neighbor came over last night to show us his new puppy. He's 12 weeks old and very active. It was hard getting a photo of him because he doesn't sit still for very long. This is Capitan.

#822067 - Mon Sep 10 2012 09:54 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ClaraSue]
ertrum Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cary North†Carolina†USA††††††
Santana, may I join you at that creperie? I'll buy the cidre...

#822088 - Mon Sep 10 2012 10:35 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ertrum]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England†UK††††††
Get ready, get set...

A semi-final in the Men's 100m for athletes with a (severe) visual impairment. There are two people in each lane because at this level of impairment athletes have a guide whose role is to help them get set up and to keep them in the right lane during the race. When the pair reach the finish, the athlete must cross the line first.

#822091 - Mon Sep 10 2012 10:47 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ertrum]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: ertrum
Santana, may I join you at that creperie? I'll buy the cidre...

You're on!

#822092 - Mon Sep 10 2012 10:49 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Santana2002]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Flopsy, love your photo! That particular event in the paralympics, ie, any of the races where the participant is severely or totally visually impaired, impressed me no end! Both the athlethe and the accompanying guide have to be up to scratch, and the level of trust between the two must be huge!

#822094 - Mon Sep 10 2012 11:07 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Santana2002]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

It was brilliant. The whole experience... going to the Olympics was very special but the Paralympics were even more so. We now have a five year old in the family who says she is going to "run, run, run!" grin

#822109 - Mon Sep 10 2012 01:08 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: flopsymopsy]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Wow, that's a great shot, flopsy! And what a great idea for them to be able to run like that!

#822168 - Mon Sep 10 2012 04:03 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ClaraSue]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
A couple more of the horses at yesterday's show. It was the last ever ploughing show for the grey, he was retiring as soon as it was over. 21 years old. The owner said he might come to shows in the future just to meet people, but his working days are over.

#822170 - Mon Sep 10 2012 04:06 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

That is a much better building Howie.

ClaraSue, love the puppy, just want to pick him up and cuddle him

Great photo Flopsy. You were lucky with tickets, you got to see quite a bit really.
Much as I loved every minute of the Olympics I found the Paralympics completely inspiring. I have to be honest and say I havn't taken a lot of notice of them before, but watched as much as I could this time.

#822175 - Mon Sep 10 2012 04:13 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
When I was a few years old I would have been over the moon to see this view, I had a thing about flyovers, and more so double and triple ones although these are side by side rather than on top.

UN IPCC

#822178 - Mon Sep 10 2012 04:23 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

For the athletics, we had the cheapest seats of all - £10 for adults £5 for seniors and children; that has to be one of the best bargains ever. We were almost at the top of the stadium, opposite the 100m starting line and across from that were the javelin areas. A friend of mine also got tickets on Saturday and she paid more for theirs but they were on the other side of the stadium - a good view of the long jump area but not as good for the rest. It was completely luck of the draw but I did try to persuade my family that I'd fixed it. wink

#822182 - Mon Sep 10 2012 04:27 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: flopsymopsy]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

That is such a bargain. I had no idea that any of the tickets were that cheap.

#822197 - Mon Sep 10 2012 05:12 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Well, to make it even better, each ticket for the Games came with a London Travelcard covering all nine zones. So spectators could use any part of the London Transport system from anywhere in London free of charge - the Tube, the Overland, the Javelin train, buses... that really was a bargain.

#822224 - Mon Sep 10 2012 06:35 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: flopsymopsy]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I, personally (you don't have to agree with me lol), have always thought that the Paralympics (since they began) should have always been completely melded with the official Olympics. It should never be run "last" (like an afterthought) after most folks have gone home. Yeah, sure the tickets are probably cheap that way, but is that right (morally/ethically/spirit-wise)?

Some folks think they should be run BEFORE the Olympics rather than after, but I don't think that will help regarding attendance/ticket sales. My suggestion would be to run it simultaneously in the same 10 days. Like say, if you buy a ticket to whatever "official" event, that ALSO gives you entrance to whatever paralympic event for a paltry $5 or whatever. So what if EVERYONE doesn't make use of the extra venue? Most will (cuz everybody loves a "freebie" lol). Surely that way, there will be more folks (cheering/applauding) for the so-called "secondary" event if that was the case.

The best (truly honest to goodness) "Olympic" event I ever attended was a sledge hockey game. For those who don't know, it's for folks who cannot use their legs and use sleds to manouver around the ice. It's mostly about upper body strength and passing perfection. Quite frankly, I thought the game was more "athletic/physical" (and if you're a hockey fan who likes that aspect of the game, you would truly appreciate it) than a "normal" ice hockey event. I was in awe the first time I saw one of those games and couldn't stop crying (yeah I know, whattawuss lol).

So thank you Flopsy, for trying to show us that all "heroes" are not necessarily about the fastest/bestest, that there is no "I" in "Team" and that overcoming odds/adversities and that ... "heart" (for lack of a better word) are probably the most important aspects of all.

Edited by Jakeroo (Mon Sep 10 2012 06:45 PM)
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#822279 - Mon Sep 10 2012 11:17 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Jakeroo]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Christinap, those horses are just gorgeous!

#822301 - Tue Sep 11 2012 04:10 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Santana2002]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
Originally Posted By: Santana2002
Christinap, those horses are just gorgeous!

That reminds me of primary school, I used to gaze out of the window at the field opposite watching the horse pulling the plough, just the one horse.

Gosh, I am old, as a child the milk deliveries were by horse and cart and the road sweeper also had a horse and cart - wonderful.

Jakeroo - surely they cannot be run at the same time as the needs are different, that is why they took a couple of weeks to make the changes. Also logistically it would cost so much more to double the accommodation and facilities.

I think the Paralympics were sold out ticketwise anyway so there would be no need to give away the tickets.

Edited by sue943 (Tue Sep 11 2012 04:12 AM)

#822302 - Tue Sep 11 2012 04:47 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: sue943]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Who can tell me which English king this is? I found him and his horse in Toronto.

#822306 - Tue Sep 11 2012 05:17 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Looks like a very nifty Edward VII ...

#822307 - Tue Sep 11 2012 05:25 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Edward VII, easy peasy. Although I've no idea what he's doing in Toronto. smile

#822313 - Tue Sep 11 2012 06:52 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: flopsymopsy]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
† Hong†Kong††††††
Good old Eddie. Know him anywhere!

#822355 - Tue Sep 11 2012 11:25 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ren33]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

I posted a photo of Charlie and the cactus last month. Here's another one, but it shows the color the cactus turns when it gets wet. Here's the photo from last month by comparison: Barrel Cactus

#822379 - Tue Sep 11 2012 01:40 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ClaraSue]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Well done, that is who it is sitting proudly in Queens Park and apparently he was at the inauguration of the park when he was the Prince of Wales. If you believe wikipedia, this statue was in India until it was moved to Canada in 1969.

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33