Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#822382 - Tue Sep 11 2012 01:57 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ClaraSue]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
A shot of the wheelchair racers' 4x400m relay - as the racers can't carry a baton and control their chairs at the same time, the incoming racer taps the next racer on the back in the handover area. All the other relay rules are the same as in the Olympics:

As for merging the two Games, it sounds good in principle but as Sue says there are logistic problems - twice as many athletes would have to be housed which is a huge capital cost, and some of the venues need to be reconfigured for different sports/needs.

Sledge hockey sounds wonderful, Jakeroo. In London they had wheelchair rugby aka murderball. It's extremely physical, chairs - and athletes - tip over quite a lot, and sometimes they go flying. It's a bit like dodgem cars without the safety features and it's great fun to watch. But sadly I didn't know what fun it was when I applied for tickets and by the time I found out it was sold out like everything else - tickets were like gold dust over here.

#822416 - Tue Sep 11 2012 03:51 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: flopsymopsy]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I know these old signs are popular, here's one I had already but without a quarter covered by the hedge this time.

UN IPCC

#822419 - Tue Sep 11 2012 04:00 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Thank you, I love heavy horses, they are such big, gentle giants. I wouldn't mind going back to the days when they were regularly used.

ClaraSue, please tell me that spider isn't real

#822429 - Tue Sep 11 2012 04:38 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
LOL, no Charlie is plastic. I bought him as a practical joke to scare hubby. It "sort of" worked. laugh

#822441 - Tue Sep 11 2012 05:30 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
King Edward is a very popular name for schools, parks and neighbourhoods in our country. You can pretty much find SOMEthing named "King Edward whatever" in every major city. For instance, my father attended a primary school named King Edward in Saskatoon when he was a child. I attended King Edward Jr. High for 2 years in Edmonton. I lived in Toronto for 3 years and I can tell you that Queen's Park (named after Victoria, Edward's mom) is built in a design that is definitely British to a "T" (or is that "tea"? lol). The statue "fits" fine there (wherever it came from).

Flopsy: am very glad to hear that the sales went that well for paralympics in London. British citizens are to be congratulated, because that certainly doesn't happen in most other parts of the world, with many venues going virtually EMPTY. Wheelchair rugby sounds like a hoot! I do wince sometimes at the physicality of some of those games though - after all, if you have no feeling from the waist down (or wherever), how much time does it take before someone realises that your leg is broken?

ClaraSue: I've been loving ALL of your photos and am so glad you decided to start posting more - we've seen many great ones so far : )))

My pictures are all over the place and most are lost on my old computer, so am posting this one (taken in August, not September) in Bamfield, Vancouver Island. I'm sorry, I can't remember what the name of this flower is, but I know it's not "native". And it's blurry (because it was taken on a typically foggy morning and the lens was wet - as was I! lol - but even so, I don't hate the final overall effect)...

#822452 - Tue Sep 11 2012 06:17 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Jakeroo]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Jakeroo, in other countries the morning sessions, which are usually reserved for heats, venues are almost empty even for the Olympics - in London every session in every sport except football (soccer) was sold out for both the Olympics and the Paralympics. The venues were packed, there was a wall of noise, and if a British athlete was involved, the noise almost picked them up to lift them across the finish. When Jonnie Peacock beat Oscar Pistorius in the bladerunners' 100m last week, the noise was indescribable - but when Peacock put his finger to his mouth to ask for quiet before the start, 80,000 people fell absolutely silent until the gun. When we were there they said the sound in the stadium was 111 decibels - in the Velodrome during the Olympics they measured it at 124 and heaven knows what level it reached in the Aquatics Centre when Elly Simmonds was swimming last week.

A lot of people bought Paralympics tickets initially because they couldn't get Olympics tickets but by the time the games ended I'm pretty sure they were glad they'd taken that route - the Paralympics were fantastic. And there was none of that condescending twaddle about the poor, brave Paralympians - there was sport, good sport, and the crowds loved it.

I think that's an Hypericum by the way... good space fillers!

#822474 - Tue Sep 11 2012 07:31 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: flopsymopsy]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

That brought back some memories, we had hypericums in the old house among others and rarely seen them since.

UN IPCC

#822533 - Tue Sep 11 2012 11:42 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Here's the pretty little church of St Fiachre's, Brittany, France:

Sorry, I don't know how to edit out the tilt, the church in reality does not lean over like that!

#822550 - Wed Sep 12 2012 02:33 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ren33]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
Lovely photos everyone. smile Clara, that dog (your neighbour's) is an Australian Cattle Dog, isn't it? I love them.

This is the last Bali photo I've got, I'll post when I can and when I have an interesting enough photo after that. This is a fairly typical Bali market street-view. There are generally more cars and scooters on the road though, but they all leave work at the same time. This is the "calm before the storm", I guess you could say.

#822556 - Wed Sep 12 2012 02:55 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Daaanieeel]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Timaru NZ
The travelling kiwi and her the friend the beaver at Lester B Pearson Airport, Toronto, just before leaving for London.

#822600 - Wed Sep 12 2012 07:09 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Howie72]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Grasshopper on a rose

#822622 - Wed Sep 12 2012 08:44 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Santana, I really like that photo. And what an optical illusion! Even the shadowing makes it look like that church is leaning like that.

Christinap, it looks as though the grasshopper was going to be heading towards your camera lens. laugh Great shot.

Daaanieeel, yes, that is an Australian Cattle Dog, but my neighbor (who's never been accused of being the sharpest tack in the drawer) says it's a Dingo. I just kept my mouth shut and ooohed a aaahed appropriately.

The area in Arizona where I live is prone to Haboobs. This is a minor dust storm that hit a couple of nights ago. It's not the greatest quality photo but I was in a hurry; they travel fast and I didn't want to get caught in it. This was taken from my back yard.

#822824 - Wed Sep 12 2012 05:25 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ClaraSue]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

More harvesting in Kingswood

UN IPCC

#822831 - Wed Sep 12 2012 05:41 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: satguru]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
More butterflies.

Red Admiral.

#822832 - Wed Sep 12 2012 05:42 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: Christinap
Grasshopper on a rose

Superb!!

#822838 - Wed Sep 12 2012 05:54 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Chavs]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Thanks Chavs. I was lucky it stayed still long enough to get the shot. Love your butterfly. The ones in my garden are singularly unco=operative about having their photo taken. They're all camera shy for some reason LOL

Satguru, whenever I see harvesting and bare fields I know it's autumn and winter is ocming.

#822860 - Wed Sep 12 2012 06:54 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Just to give you an idea of how high up we were in the stadium and how full it was:

The small black wired boxes in front of every seat were the computer-controlled lights used in the opening and closing ceremonies.

PS Please excuse my friend's knee in the foreground!

#822905 - Wed Sep 12 2012 10:18 PM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: flopsymopsy]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
What wonderful photos from everyone!

I thought this chap was going to scurry right to the top of the tree when he saw me, but he stopped on a low branch to nibble on his lunch.

#822942 - Thu Sep 13 2012 12:07 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: spanishliz]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Goodness Flopsy! You really were up in the heights there!

Here's the very ornate, polychromatic jubé found inside the church I showed yesterday. It dates from 1480, an intricate lacework of carved and painted wood, the creation of Olivier de Loërgan. All the carvings are representative of extracts of the bible, the seven deadly sins, key events and suchlike. The jubé separates the nave from the chancel, and at the time of its construction the separation went further than that. The 'ordinary' folk were not permitted to sit in the front section of the church, and the jubé served as a barrier between the classes.

The photo's not great, my camera is poor, and no flash was allowed inside the church. With light flooding in on each side it was difficult to adjust so there's plenty of glare all around.

#822950 - Thu Sep 13 2012 02:16 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ren33]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
Love the photos everyone. Beautiful butterfly, grasshopper and squirrel! Clara, I guess your neighbour isn't too far off; the ACD was bred by mixing European dogs with dingoes. But not many people would think that it actually IS a dingo, especially with that colouration!

Took some good photos on my walk yesterday, I'll share some of them here over the next few days. I took another pelican shot, if anyone is interested.

Here's a Rainbow Lorikeet, I think of the Swainson's subspecies. I took a couple of others which are a bit closer up to the bird, but they're a bit out of focus unfortunately. They're really beautiful birds, especially when they're in flight- they have plenty of colour under their wings. Apparently (according to that Wikipedia article) they're considered a pest here, but they're too nice to look at!

Edited by Daaanieeel (Thu Sep 13 2012 02:54 AM)

#823009 - Thu Sep 13 2012 06:49 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Daaanieeel]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
A perfect day for an airshow. I popped out to try to see the B52 but left it too late, it passed me when I was halfway to where I intended watching from so no photo. I did see it passing again but not so close and my photos came out pure blue. So as not to totally waste my effort I took a couple of snaps. Sara will remember this view.

Edited to say that I went back a couple of hours later and sat on the piece of wall in the very bottom right of this photo to watch the Red Arrows - perhaps a photo tomorrow. smile

Edited by sue943 (Thu Sep 13 2012 11:31 AM)

#823014 - Thu Sep 13 2012 06:59 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: sue943]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Wild blackberries just waiting to be eaten, and yes I did pick some and eat them and they were lovely.

#823015 - Thu Sep 13 2012 07:01 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Love everyone's photos - fabulous month again

#823037 - Thu Sep 13 2012 08:19 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: Christinap]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Great photos all around!

Daaanieeel, we have a small tourist spot near where I live that has hundreds of Lorikeets and you can pay to feed them. They're such pretty little birds. I understand that cockatiels are considered a pest "down under" as well. I had a pet cockatiel named Bruno and when my dad visited Australia, he told me it seemed strange to see a bunch of Bruno's flying around everywhere. laugh

A blurry shot of the neighbor's cat, Pappas. I was in a hurry to capture the look on Pappas' face when the new puppy was trying to get him to play. Apparently he's not too fond of young dogs. LOL

#823116 - Thu Sep 13 2012 11:38 AM Re: Yes it is September! [Re: ClaraSue]
ertrum Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cary North Carolina USA      
That is a "stay away" look if ever I saw one!

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33