Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 23 of 47 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 46 47 >
Topic Options
#821050 - Wed Sep 05 2012 01:52 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: triviaking162]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Does it score backwards - i.e. can you play Easy and Hard all through the day trying for as many categories as possible and get the score if it should come up later in a run?

That would obviously minimize the impact on a player who's on a roll. (Which is what I am most concerned about - if you get it first thing in a day, you can always mark it off as "not my day" if you don't hit early)

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Wed Sep 05 2012 01:54 PM)

#821052 - Wed Sep 05 2012 01:59 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Yes.

#821053 - Wed Sep 05 2012 02:02 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Then it's playable - there's the obvious way around it if you want to spend a day getting rid of all those credits in the hopes of an epic. Rewards preparedness smile

#821054 - Wed Sep 05 2012 02:08 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
How are the epics going to work? You have to buy them I'm assuming, but is it just luck whether you get one, like not knowing whether the next challenge is going to be easy/med/hard?

#821055 - Wed Sep 05 2012 02:09 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

yep. a small chance of getting one, which is half the battle.

#821056 - Wed Sep 05 2012 02:13 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I had hobbies, which was already complete for me in both games. smile

#821093 - Wed Sep 05 2012 05:40 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Ok Im going to add one more round of challenges tomorrow. A few of your comments in the last week or so has been on the repetition of some of the challenges. The way to stop that is to add more challenges wink

I'm starting to run out of ideas, so if you've got any ideas for challenges, spit em out, and if I both like them and they're technically straightforward I'll add em.

#821095 - Wed Sep 05 2012 05:57 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

I think I'm tapped out for ideas except on the epics smile

#821097 - Wed Sep 05 2012 06:04 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: triviaking162]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: Terry
Well it has to be fairly straightforward or my head will explode trying to make it and debug it.

System selects 5 quizzes that must be played and scored by either of the 2 players.

Player 1 gets info A
Player 2 gets info B

It is very difficult alone, and a lot easier with combined info.

Info A:
The quizzes you are searching for can be found in sub-categories X and Y.

Info B:
You need to score at least X correct on each quiz to get credit.
The required quizzes begin with the letters A,G,S,O,T.
One of the quizzes has been played XXX times. Another has been played YYY times.

You have completed the following quizzes as a team:

Or something like that

How about this? It was from pg. 10.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#821099 - Wed Sep 05 2012 08:17 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: triviaking162]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

I still like that, but Im a little concerned that the first time or two it's kind of fun, but after it comes around more than a few times it will likely get old. I think we need to keep in mind that some people will play these daily challenges for YEARS.

#821100 - Wed Sep 05 2012 08:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

How about a "7 Days of the Week" Challenge, where you have to find and play 7 quizzes, each with a different day of the week in title? I know there are quizzes for each day because I just found them all. Could do "12 Months of the Year" or "Decades" variations as well.

#821105 - Wed Sep 05 2012 10:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Nioe idea, but same issue as above. The 6th time you get that challenge and you start throwing things at your monitor.

#821107 - Wed Sep 05 2012 10:29 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: Terry

Nioe idea, but same issue as above. The 6th time you get that challenge and you start throwing things at your monitor.

But isn't that the case with ALL challenges after a while? :-P

Anyway, how about enter five-ten words yourself and the system picks one, and you find a quiz/quizzes with that word. That way, it'll be a word that the players wants themselves. Unless that's too difficult to set up.

(Sorry, my oops - accidentally hit Edit instead of reply. Original post restored. Wes)

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Sep 06 2012 09:11 AM)

#821155 - Thu Sep 06 2012 06:36 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Mariamir]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

I think if it was gonna happen the system should pick the words, otherwise you could have people entering the same word over and over or typing in words like "and" and "or" and "is" too get an easier set to find quizzes in.

#821156 - Thu Sep 06 2012 06:44 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
True, it may be possible to add a something to prevent people from doing that, but then again, I know nothing of such things, and have no idea if it's easy to do or not, so...

Well, then, disregard what I said, lol.

#821163 - Thu Sep 06 2012 08:03 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Mariamir]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

What about a second look at this one from page 9, the ALLY Challenge?

"What about something where both scores add up to equal something else, or equal AT LEAST something else (which would be a higher number than the equal match one)? So say, a goal like 10,000pts. It could be 200, 9800; or 3000, 7000; or 5000, 5000; or any other combination that adds up to the goal number, which could be anything (based on recent daily scores for both players or something)."

#821175 - Thu Sep 06 2012 09:12 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Mariamir]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Originally Posted By: Mariamir
Anyway, how about enter five-ten words yourself and the system picks one, and you find a quiz/quizzes with that word. That way, it'll be a word that the players wants themselves. Unless that's too difficult to set up.

Maybe this could be made to work as follows:

"Execute a quiz search using this box |___________| |SEARCH| that yields between 20 and 30 results. Then play 15 of the resulting entries, scoring X or better each. (Your first matching entry will determine the list to play from)."

This obviously requires a slight modification to the search code (having an extra place to submit from and reporting the search term and result count back to the challenge as well), but it might just be feasible and it avoids the frequent words issue.

#821178 - Thu Sep 06 2012 09:54 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

While they are all interesting ideas, it looks like we're all sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to come up with stuff.

Time to really start on the epics I think.

I also need to work out how precisely to structure gold member vs regular member stuff. I considered giving non-GMs 2 challenges/day and GMs 3 challenges/day, but perhaps it might be better to give everyone 3, and add a perk for GMs.

I was thinking perhaps "challenge mulligan", where once per week gold members may discard any incomplete challenge and have a new one generated in its place.

#821185 - Thu Sep 06 2012 10:37 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

The GM perk is obviously also greater variety in challenge choice - a non-GM will see more repeats than a GM.

Maybe a GM perk could also be a slightly reduced purchase cost for extras. Keep the 9/+3 for regular, but maybe 8/+2 for GMs? That way they can do just a bit more without affecting the basic three. This is actually less of a bonus than it might sound - a GM could buy 7 challenges on a day for 98 where regular would get 6 for 99.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Sep 06 2012 10:38 AM)

#821190 - Thu Sep 06 2012 10:56 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Hmmm, I like that small perk, Wes.

Is there a challenge based on the Gold Madness game? I don't recall seeing one...

Or "earn a vowel in the Gold Member Word Wizard mini-game".

A few could be made for obtaining certain scores in Pot of Gold.

Level perks could make good challenges on some days. Play the Point Tree. Use your mulligan. Choose an expert topic. Play your level challenge crossword. Etc.

Score a certain amount of points in the point tree game... Which might be tricky since, depending on the "easiness" of the categories, your score varies. 15 in 50 gets much different scores depending on the week's chosen cats.

Play 25 or more hourlies today. (number can vary depending on difficulty level)

At the end of a Global Challenge, have your ranking increase (eh, I'm not too fond of it, but I'm trying to think outside the box now. :P)

Score 10 correct in x seconds the easy game three hours in a row (can be tough, depending on the categories). Other games can be included as well.

Hmmm, I think I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

#821192 - Thu Sep 06 2012 11:01 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: salami_swami]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I like Terry's challenge mulligan... it's an interesting twist and it would be a real benefit to GMs. The Amazing Race challenge left people stuck in the same place for ages and judging from the chatboards some of them got really frustrated - at least with a mulligan, GM's frustration would be limited to a week.

#821195 - Thu Sep 06 2012 11:06 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: flopsymopsy]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Uhm, you would never be stuck on anything more than a day since challenges reset once per day. It would just be a way to get rid of something you really don't want to play if a challenge type comes up you don't like or that you badly missed (e.g. one based on a daily score when you scored too low).

I like both of these perks - they're small enough to not be unbalancing but overall make the game flow just a little bit more intensely.

#821198 - Thu Sep 06 2012 11:23 AM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: WesleyCrusher]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Ah I was assuming from the conversation about that secret thing we're not allowed to know about yet that there might be a longer delay... but as I don't know how that's going to work, I'll shut up now.

#821285 - Thu Sep 06 2012 05:13 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: flopsymopsy]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Would someone please purchase a challenge if you get the chance. I need a NEMESIS partner.

#821292 - Thu Sep 06 2012 05:30 PM Re: Daily Challenge Testing Thread [Re: kaddarsgirl]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Actually, for testing, it would be great if no one did. That way, we can see if it correctly marks you as winner tomorrow morning.

Page 23 of 47 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 46 47 >

Moderator:  Terry