Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#824315 - Mon Sep 17 2012 11:06 AM Can we try to get inactive members back again?
seadancer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
Please consider this both a question and a suggestion:

Is there any reason why FunTrivia can't send an occasional e-mail (not too many) to the regular mailboxes (not the FunTrivia mailboxes) of members who are no longer active? (I'm referring to the members who haven't actually quit, i.e., those members whose names are still on the FunTrivia team member listings.)

It might be a good idea to send a gentle reminder that their teams are waiting for their return. I'm always hoping that my team's inactive members might show up again. Some of them were so active at one time.

Perhaps, with all the distractions of everyday life, they simply forgot that they ever signed up with FunTrivia. An e-mail which includes the FunTrivia link might bring them back. If they've forgotten their password, you might mention that you could send it to them.

Just a thought.
---Sea

Edited by seadancer (Mon Sep 17 2012 11:07 AM)

#824322 - Mon Sep 17 2012 12:07 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: seadancer]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Well, this is a nice suggestion for us, team leaders.

The password issue can be arranged quite easily: every member who tries to log in and has forgotten his (or her) password, will see a feature requesting to send a temporary password.

#824325 - Mon Sep 17 2012 12:24 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: JanIQ]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Deleting post. After reading the other posts, it appears that I am in the wrong.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Mon Sep 17 2012 12:58 PM)

#824328 - Mon Sep 17 2012 12:27 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I used to send out yearly updates to inactive players, as a reminder of the site. I haven't done it in a few years, but it may be a good idea.

#824334 - Mon Sep 17 2012 12:41 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: Terry]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
I don't see how it could hurt. If the email is deleted, then so be it, but some, in their busy lives, might simply have forgotten this gem of a site, and could use a little reminder.

#824358 - Mon Sep 17 2012 01:35 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: postcards2go]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

Definitely. Even if it only brings a couple of people back, that's still good, right? At the very least, its only 1 or 2 emails in someone's inbox per year.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#824376 - Mon Sep 17 2012 02:05 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: triviaking162]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
If they are sent, there should be an option to be removed from that specific email list. I know I'm quite specific on what I wish to receive email about and find it annoying to get emails that could easily be avoided from a site I would trust. I would safely assume that I am not alone in that regard.

(granted, I'm active on the site, so wouldn't receive such an email, but my point is not lost in general terms)

#824427 - Mon Sep 17 2012 04:24 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: pyonir]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I agree with a temporary password for folks who might wish to revisit and also with pyonir's "opt out" choice in case the person finds the reminder to be an "annoyance". If that is indeed their choice, you'll know "fer sure" they're not coming back LOL.

#824444 - Mon Sep 17 2012 05:33 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: Jakeroo]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Yes, (a) our terms and conditions specifically state we may send out yearly emails so existing members are covered and (b) any email we send out has an opt-out link for further such mailings.

#824669 - Tue Sep 18 2012 12:49 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: Terry]
seadancer Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Terry
Yes, (a) our terms and conditions specifically state we may send out yearly emails so existing members are covered and (b) any email we send out has an opt-out link for further such mailings.

Terry, I'm so happy to see the positive responses to my suggestion!
Hope you will follow up soon. I want my people back! smile
---Sea

#824732 - Tue Sep 18 2012 05:07 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: seadancer]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
And offer a moment of silence for those who cannot come back.

#824763 - Tue Sep 18 2012 06:47 PM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: mehaul]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Always, Mehaul. After awhile, FT is like a family, and we mourn for (but never forget) those who have departed their most recent incarnations.

#824865 - Wed Sep 19 2012 11:33 AM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: postcards2go]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
There are probably tons of inactive players.

I suggest that the team leaders make up a list of the players to contact the first.

Personally I would choose members who have disappeared for over one year and did contribute to the team (active team posters).

I'll prepare a shortlist and set it by PM to Terry.

#824868 - Wed Sep 19 2012 11:40 AM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: JanIQ]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
We just recently cleaned up our team, and some old members were removed... But the system would not allow the leader to message them; only the active members of the team were messaged. Of course, this was not the half of the team he wished to contact.

If not for a mass inactive player message, at least a system that allows the team leader to message inactive team members...

smile

#825163 - Thu Sep 20 2012 10:40 AM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: JanIQ]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Originally Posted By: JanIQ
There are probably tons of inactive players.

I suggest that the team leaders make up a list of the players to contact the first.

Personally I would choose members who have disappeared for over one year and did contribute to the team (active team posters).

I'll prepare a shortlist and set it by PM to Terry.

I think you might as well save your time, an individual email won't be sent to each person, it will be done by using set information to generate a mailing list and will be a mass mailing so your list wouldn't be helpful.

#830859 - Thu Oct 11 2012 06:48 AM Re: Can we try to get inactive members back again? [Re: Terry]
seadancer Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Terry

Terry, Lately, I've noticed that some of my less-active members have been returning. I'm happy about that.
Could it be that you've sent out the email we've been talking about?
If so, thank you! If not, thanks to my lucky stars! smile ---Sea

Moderator:  Terry