Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#823688 - Fri Sep 14 2012 03:49 PM So tired she forgot
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I was talking to my mother on the phone this afternoon when she turned to her brother and asked, "where's my phone?" I cracked up, for it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard. (Tears were nearly rolling down my cheeks, that's how hard I was laughing.)

She had told me, wenI picked up, that she was mentaly drained--but I never expected that she'd forget she was talking on the phone!

Does anyone have a similar story to share?

Edited by Jazmee27 (Fri Sep 14 2012 03:51 PM)

#823690 - Fri Sep 14 2012 03:53 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Well I have picked up the remote control and tried to call someone before now, and there are endless instances where I have put my glasses in the fridge and the milk on the bedside table etc(But doesn't everyone?)

#823695 - Fri Sep 14 2012 03:57 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: ren33]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I spent 5 minutes looking for my sunglasses the other day, and yeah you guessed it, they were on top of my head.

#823697 - Fri Sep 14 2012 04:03 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: ren33]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I've said some really strange things under the influence of medication. The prime example was when I told my mother about something I'd done "when I broke my other leg."

I've also gone to bed (more times than I can count) without locking my apartment door (not funny, I know, but it still happened). Plus, I happen to be fortunate enough to live in an apartment complex where it's (mostly) safe to forget stuff like that. (I try very hard not to, and have even gotten into the habit of locking up before I go downstairs for the mail).

Another truly funny story (I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was downright scary), was wen I told Mom I needed laundry cleaner when what I really meant was mouthwash. Turns out, I already had some of the cleaner (and a few days later, I realized the brandname mix-up, so was able to tell her what I really needed.

#823701 - Fri Sep 14 2012 04:10 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: george48]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: george48
I spent 5 minutes looking for my sunglasses the other day, and yeah you guessed it, they were on top of my head.

I've done that, too!

Edited by Jazmee27 (Fri Sep 14 2012 04:11 PM)

#823703 - Fri Sep 14 2012 04:12 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I order my groceries delivered to me, and refer to the delivery guy as “wise guy.” Each week when he comes to the door he’ll say “it’s Santa Claus.” He’ll also tell me I spent insane amounts that week, just to make me laugh, and offers to put stuff away in the wrong place: The one week, he wanted to put my ice cream “on the sill over there in the sun.” The other day he asked if I wanted to put the toilet tissue in the freezer (another week he suggested I store it in the oven).

#823724 - Fri Sep 14 2012 05:50 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
I did the same thing today - walked up the front path, chatting on my mobile, and patted my pocket to make sure I had my mobile with me.

I've also tried to change channels by pointing the phone at the telly, but yes, Ren - doesn't everyone?

When my husband went upstairs with his early morning cauldron of tea, and a shaving mug filled with boiling water, he more than once soaped up his shaving brush and dipped it in his tea.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#823728 - Fri Sep 14 2012 06:41 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: lesley153]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Two similar examples. People sometimes phone me on my home number and ask if I'm at home as they forgot which number they've called, but one woman I know phoned me on the mobile to ask me if I'd left it at her house. I don't think that can be topped.

UN IPCC

#823743 - Fri Sep 14 2012 09:43 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: satguru]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
I picked up the phone to ring someone and started dialing on the microwave keypad. No wonder no one answered!

#823765 - Sat Sep 15 2012 04:30 AM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Barbarini]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I took the ironing board out into the front garden to trim the hedge, thinking it was the stepladder.

#823769 - Sat Sep 15 2012 05:07 AM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: dsimpy]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Well this one I bring out every few years in here, but I suppose it will be new to some of you.
A few days out of hospital with my first daughter, I decided to take her out and show her off at the shops. I dressed us both up to the nines and tottered off pushing the posh coach pram. Every one of the usual shopkeepers expressed suitable admiration and I ended my trip at the butchers. Clutching a bag containing a pound of mince and some sausages, I started back home.
As I reached the front door and searched for my keys I realised some vital part of my belongings was missing and I hurried fled back to the shops. Strolling up the street in his rather bloody apron was the dear old cockney butcher, yes, pushing the pram with the forgotten item in it.
"Did you forget somethin'Darlin'?"
That may be the height of absentmindedness here.

#823772 - Sat Sep 15 2012 05:36 AM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: ren33]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I managed to do something similar with my teenage learning-disabled daughter a few years ago on holiday in Tunisia. The two of us went down to the hotel foyer to change some currency, and I left her sitting down close by. However the currency desk was closed, with a sign saying that guests should go to a neighbouring hotel to change currency.

Forgetting all about my daughter, off I went, queued at the currency desk of the nearby hotel for 20 minutes, returned and went upstairs to our room. It was only when I walked into the room that my other daughter asked where her sister was! Aaargh!! I 'flew' down three flights of stairs in a time that would have left Usain Bolt standing.

There she sat, nearly 40 minutes after I left her 'for a minute', totally unconcerned, and oblivious to the fact that her guilty dad had just taken three 'heart attacks'!

#823776 - Sat Sep 15 2012 05:55 AM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: dsimpy]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Ren, you must be my sister. I knew I knew you from somewhere. wink

Her eldest is the same age as me so when we were toddlers, we were both left with my mother as she went off to the shops, pushing her new baby in the pram. She went to various shops to see people she'd grown up with, had a good natter with some old schoolfriends, and went home, only to be greeted by mother with cries of "where's the baby?" She raced back to the town - it was about a mile and I bet she did that in under four minutes, a few years before Roger Bannister - and retraced her steps. She found the baby in the post office, being passed like a parcel along the line of counter clerks.

#823781 - Sat Sep 15 2012 07:23 AM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: flopsymopsy]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

A few times, I've started looking one place for my apartment key, and realized belatedly that I moved it. I've also done that with my pen and signature guide.

The one time my mother was helping me with laundry and asked for the key, as she had a basket of my laundry in her car (or was it the time she had groceries to bring up. I immediately begin rummaging through my walker bag, only to realize I'd put it in a drawer when I last got done using it.

I also had to search for my rescue inhaler sometime back before I finally remembered where it was.

Once or twice, I dropped my cell phone, and didn’t even know it right away. The most recent example found me figuring it out a few hours later when I went to call my grandmother. It took me a couple seconds to figure that the best way for me to find it was to call my cell from my landline. Turns out, it was in the bathroom—must have fallen out of my bag.

Another time I forgot my cell phone was charging until I wanted to call my mother. Funny thing was, she didn’t even realize I was calling her from the Landline (I’ve called a few times to say ‘good night,’ and my cell’s charging, so I’m out in the living room using the Landline. Unless she checks the caller ID, she assumes I’m on the cell—and asks me if I’m in bed!)

#823791 - Sat Sep 15 2012 08:16 AM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I did the same sort of thing about my glasses, but my embarrassment came when I couldn't find them and stepped outside to talk to a few repairmen. As I'm standing there in the sun, squinting and shading my eyes, I apologized to the men that my eyes are very sensitive to light and that I couldn't find my sunglasses when one pops up with "they're on your head". It's bad enough to search and find them there yourself, it's even worse when strangers point out your problem.

I have tried to use my telephone keypad as a calculator and stood there wondering where the danged plus sign was.

Quote:
I took the ironing board out into the front garden to trim the hedge, thinking it was the stepladder.

This had me in tears! laugh

#823911 - Sat Sep 15 2012 11:37 AM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: dsimpy]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Originally Posted By: dsimpy

Were you going to iron your hedges? You could have got them so smooth with a little spray on starch. They would have been the neatest hedges in town! wink That story is going to be told to others I know and they'll chuckle like I have for the last half hour or more.

Twice, perhaps three times, I've stood at my front door after work and wondered why the key wasn't opening the door. I kept pressing the button and it wouldn't open. After a minute or so I remembered that I don't have a remote control front door and it was the car key in my hand. wink

#823956 - Sat Sep 15 2012 03:07 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Tizzabelle]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

The other week I put the key in the lock after leaving, and proceeded downstairs without checking it was locked. Later, Mom came back down (she'd gone up to put something away and bring something else back down,an she asked if I'd locked it "because I don't think you did." Even later, I went up and made a sassy retort, forgetting that, since she'd been up there, she'd have locked up afterward!

#824025 - Sat Sep 15 2012 07:59 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

To Mom’s credit, she and Michael rode 24 miles on their bikes yesterday.

Tonight, I asked her on the phone if she’ll pick up bird food tomorrow. “You’ll have to remind me… You can’t expect me to forget that.” Both of us cracked up, for what she really meant was, “You can’t expect me to remember that.”

I then asked her the question I’d been waiting all day to ask (but was afraid I couldn’t ask with a straight face): “Do you know where your phone is?” “Yes, next to my right ear.” Immediately she burst out laughing, for she got her “right” and “left” confused.

She asked me to hold on while she told her mother and brother a funny story: she was on the rail trail and told someone she was passing on the right, when in actuality she was passing on the left!

#824026 - Sat Sep 15 2012 08:01 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I have also switched on the heat when I wanted AC, and vise versa.

And one month, I forgot a week after I'd paid the rent that I'd paid it, and wanted Mom to help me write a check for it!

#824166 - Sun Sep 16 2012 06:47 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

When I came back from doing the laundry, I forgot to take my cell phone out of my Fanny Pack. It took a while before I remembered smile smile smile

Edited by Jazmee27 (Sun Sep 16 2012 06:51 PM)

#824185 - Sun Sep 16 2012 08:46 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
I wish this had happened to me. A man on the radio yesterday spoke of a time he was coming out of anysth.. anaesthetics and he could see and hear noises coming from a screen. It was sounding a bit scary and eventually the line went straight and a beeping sound came on. Freaking out he buzzed the nurse. She reassured him it was just the television and it was the part in 2001 where HAL the computer died.

#824365 - Mon Sep 17 2012 01:42 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: mountaingoat]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

This afternoon I took out two bags of trash, then came in and prepared to go down for the mail—only to realize I’d forgotten where I put my key! At first, I thought Mom took it with her—and then I remembered that I’d been the one to open the door, and I’d put it away in my fanny pack (which I then put in the desk).

#824367 - Mon Sep 17 2012 01:54 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

mountaingoat's post reminded me about several similar experiences.

A few times I've thought someone was pounding on the door, only to realize it was the TV.

Another time I heard sirens and was sure they were right outside, only to realize they were on the TV. (I once scared myself haf to death when listening to my audio drama: at the time I was recording, there were sirens blaring, so it sounded like they were right in the room).

#824491 - Mon Sep 17 2012 10:01 PM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Jazmee27]
Popoki_Iti Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria
BC Canada       
My late Mum came out with a few funny comments. We were driving on a winding country road back in England (where I'm from) when a driver came towards us on the wrong side of the curve. Panic over (and no accident) Mum said "I'd never do that, unless it was a straight bend!" The trouble was - I understood what she meant!
Another occasion saw us driving back home from a shopping trip in the fall. The clocks had just gone back and it was dark. Me "Look how dark it has become!" Mum "That's because it's getting later earlier..." I needed Kleenex that time.
Trouble is....I find I am coming out with a few such gems myself!!!

#824608 - Tue Sep 18 2012 08:19 AM Re: So tired she forgot [Re: Popoki_Iti]
C30 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
In my ......er........."younger days", I used to ride a 500cc motor-cycle (for the purists, BSA A50 "Royal Star")in the UK.

Right, whilst the rapidly becoming popular Japanese machines had flashing indicators, most British biked did not. So hand signals were required. It was "routine" when carrying a pillion passenger for them to do this.
Unfortunately, the "love of my life" at the time, whilst a very good pillion passenger, did have this one defect.....she never DID cotton one to her left arm from her right!
Thus when we wanted to turn, I would say "Left"....or "right"........and it was in the lap of the God's which arm she put out! This was known to have "interesting" comments from fellow road users, and many "blasts" on hooters from irate motorists.
So this needed to be solved.............

Eventually, I hit on an easy answer, when we approached a turning I would point "this way" or "that way" and presto, when she indicated we were turning right, we actually did just that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943