Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#823955 - Sat Sep 15 2012 02:55 PM Do *Not* Put in Box
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
My mailbox is fairly tiny, just a tiny sqare space. It’s fine for most things to be stuffed inside, but every now and then I see something which pure and simply makes my blood boil (I’m legally blind and read Braille, and those who have seen Braille will know that it can’t be condensed).

I’m not sure if they do or not, but I think the Braille magazines should come with a sticker or note that says “do not bend.” In other words, “don’t fold to put in box.”

This afternoon, I went downstairs for the mail—and found a print card (or perhaps it was an advertisement) crumpled up. Right away, I knew something was up as that should never happen. The moment I saw what else was in the box, I understood: there, bent in half and looking as if it was in thirds, was a Braille magazine—one of the bigger ones I receive).

First of all, most of the mail that I get in Braille is kept out (I guess that if there isn’t a message saying “don’t bend,” it just makes sense to the person putting in the mail. And the fact is that certain Brailled materials, like newsletters, can fit without much trouble. But the problem with bending the paper is, aside from the fact that it’s hard to get out, the Braille dots get pressed down, so it’s difficult for me to read without an interpreter!

I’ve tried reporting the issue, but it’s hard because no one knows who’s putting it in there.

This time, though, I’m twice as mad as I’ve been before—and it’s not made any better by the fact that my smoker neighbor is up to her old tricks!

#823957 - Sat Sep 15 2012 03:19 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Seems to me like this would be best dealt with on the personal level - one to one with your letter carrier. Would it be possible to hang around the mailboxes around the time the mail comes, and speak to your letter carrier? If that's not feasible, perhaps a note clearly marked "To the Letter Carrier" could be left in the mailbox, maybe propped up so it could be seen.

#823965 - Sat Sep 15 2012 03:35 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: agony]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

All mail is put into each person’s box by someone who either works here or (as in on the weekends) one of the resident helpers. I have my suspicions as to who it might be, and on Monday intend to call downstairs about it again.

I haven’t yet opened the magazine—I guesss you could say I’m afraid to.

We have about 72 units here, so aI’m sure there is quite a lot of mail coming in on a daily basis. And as I stated earlier, the Braille materials (except for the newsletters) are kept out of the box.

Apologies for ranting, but I kind of had to get that off my chest.

I guess I’m also wondering if there’s something that really causes you to “lose your head” for a second or two.

#823969 - Sat Sep 15 2012 04:02 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
Not sure I get the connection with your smoker neighbor and her "old tricks" (whatever they might be.)

#823972 - Sat Sep 15 2012 04:11 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: jabb5076]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Jabb, I think the point was that she was already boiling mad, and the smoker (no smoking in the building) just made the pot boil over.

#823986 - Sat Sep 15 2012 04:46 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: postcards2go]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Here's a solution possibility for the Braille magazines and other oversized mail. Since it is a non-postal employee putting the mail in the box, they could be given stand-in cards to put in your box which state "Please, you have an oversized or fragile marked package that needs to be hand delivered. We will gladly deliver it to you if you come by at _____(insert place, time and date)" Since you've stated you live in government housing, bring the matter up at a tenants' meeting. You should not have the workers destroying property you have dearly paid for.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#824013 - Sat Sep 15 2012 06:08 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: jabb5076]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: jabb5076
Not sure I get the connection with your smoker neighbor and her "old tricks" (whatever they might be.)

Apologies, Jab.

The building I live in was made nonsmoking two years ago, so Postcards hit the nail on the head as the saying goes.

#824015 - Sat Sep 15 2012 06:28 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: jabb5076]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Good suggestion, mehaul, I’ll definetly do that (though not sure there’s a meeting until next year—we just had a resident meeting the other week).

If the oversized package was in today’s mail, then it would make sense that it was the resident helper on the first floor who did it (all the resident helpers get a reduced rate to live here, and—like most everyone else here—are in their sixties or seventies, if not older. I doubt she intentionally destroyed anything, if she did, but I guess I need to make my neighbors aware of this (it seems obvious to me, and to Sue in administration—as well as Pam—but some people just don’t know. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but… (I’d think they would want such matters brought to their attention—politely, of course).

It’s sort of like the other month, when one of my neighbors decided to dump large trash bags in the middle of the walkway (the recycling bins were full and, besides, the contents weren’t appropriate for the bins). I reported the issue when my grandmother (up for a sleepover as she had a medical appointment) made me aware of the situation (she didn’t want me to go over there, as it was an accident waiting to happen). I reported downstairs because, while I cannot see, I also happen to have a mother who works in health care—and am aware that many of my neighbors also have mobility issues).

Later that day, Mom dropped Grandma back at the building to wait for her to get off work, and she happened to notice the problem had been dealt with.

As for the “smoker neighbor,” at the last resident meeting the CEO told those who attended that he was seeking advice from his lawyers (I’m only one of many ladies who have complained about smelling smoke in the building). He told us that if, after reviewing the leasing policy, the lawyer tells him he’s able to evict a person based solely on the complaints he’s received, then he will—no warnings, no nothing). And guess who didn’t attend? My smoker neighbor, who just so happens to be the only one on this floor (no one’s telling her she has to quit—just that she has to abide by the rules and use the specified smoking areas: the one outside, to be used in good weather, and the other on the sixth floor balcony, which is to be used in bad weather only but some of the smokers have abused that privilege).

Edited by Jazmee27 (Sat Sep 15 2012 06:30 PM)

#824018 - Sat Sep 15 2012 06:47 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Note: The other Braille magazines, some of which come in boxes and some of which are in envelopes, are kept in the office. When I get a visitor, like Mom or Grandma, she’ll bring the packages up—or, when they can, Sue or Pam will do so. Or, if I go down for the mail and one of them sees me, then they’ll come over and put them in my walker basket. (As I’ve said, this is how Braille materials are usually dealt with.

#824019 - Sat Sep 15 2012 06:58 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I finally opened it. I only read the first page or so, and though the Braille is smashed at spots, it could have been worse (I hate to think what would have happened had I waited a few days to get the mail).

The magazine is ‘Conundrum,’ and is by far the biggest magazine I have (it’s a really long volume—where do they find such long paper?) The feel of it is quite distinctive compared to the others I get (so I knew what it was before I opened it—I think that’s why I was so mad: I enjoy these puzzles, and if anything prevents me from reading them…)

I’m not mad anymore, but still a bit annoyed (yes, there is a difference). And the next time Audrey decides to “light up” in her apartment (right next to mine) and I smell smoke filtering into my kitchen… (guess you can tell what does anger me).

#824023 - Sat Sep 15 2012 07:58 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

My years of addressing system failures as a Quality Engineer taught me one underlying precept: People do not want to do things wrong. If your mail is being mishandled it points mostly to three reasons (which you can look at in your case)
1) There aren't adequate instructions or procedures for the worker to follow.
2) Inadequate facilities for handling extraordinary materials.
3) The worker training needs to be reviewed to see that the procedures are being taught correctly and that the workers understand how the mishandling causes a problem for the customer.
In the case of your smoking neighbor, either she is unaware of the problems it causes others, knows and cannot understand how to make the rules work for her, or, the rules about alternate locations is inadequate. If you help her to comply, or at least offer to help, she may go that little step more in trying to follow the rules. Remember, she is probably having a difficult time even being a smoker these days and feels there are no sympathetic ears around. Be one to whatever extent you can.

#824063 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:36 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: mehaul]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
Re - Smoker

There are two other alternatives Mehaul:

a. She thinks that the rules do not apply to her, and

b. She couldn't care less about her co-habitants

My money is on a or b as opposed to 1, 2 or 3

#824065 - Sun Sep 16 2012 05:56 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: sisterseagull]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
All the training in the world won't prevent large envelopes being folded. Two of my uncles were postmen and they told me not to put stickers on parcels. In the sorting office, stickers like "Photographs: do not bend" would be met with the comment "Oh yes they do" and bend they did. Worst of all, my uncles said, was the sticker "Fragile: Handle with Care" - the sorting office staff would take delight in the care with which they could handle then kick that parcel into a pretend goalmouth right across the room. And let no one say this is a modern development because my uncles were posties between the two world wars.

The only thing which might work would be to speak to the actual mailman and, carefully and calmly, explain the problem - but if you don't have a regular mailman then the only thing you can do is put a notice up by the box asking them to please not fold the large braille books because it makes them unreadable. If you can form a good relationship with a person then you have a chance, but I'm afraid that these days the concept of a regular deliveryman is an alien one.

#824072 - Sun Sep 16 2012 07:03 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: sisterseagull]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: sisterseagull
Re - Smoker

There are two other alternatives Mehaul:

a. She thinks that the rules do not apply to her, and

b. She couldn't care less about her co-habitants

My money is on a or b as opposed to 1, 2 or 3

So is mine.

#824073 - Sun Sep 16 2012 07:06 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: flopsymopsy]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
All the training in the world won't prevent large envelopes being folded. Two of my uncles were postmen and they told me not to put stickers on parcels. In the sorting office, stickers like "Photographs: do not bend" would be met with the comment "Oh yes they do" and bend they did. Worst of all, my uncles said, was the sticker "Fragile: Handle with Care" - the sorting office staff would take delight in the care with which they could handle then kick that parcel into a pretend goalmouth right across the room. And let no one say this is a modern development because my uncles were posties between the two world wars.

The only thing which might work would be to speak to the actual mailman and, carefully and calmly, explain the problem - but if you don't have a regular mailman then the only thing you can do is put a notice up by the box asking them to please not fold the large braille books because it makes them unreadable. If you can form a good relationship with a person then you have a chance, but I'm afraid that these days the concept of a regular deliveryman is an alien one.

Good points.

#824115 - Sun Sep 16 2012 11:10 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Sisterseagull: my 1,2&3 were about the mail not the smoker. I still feel that honey will do more toward getting the smoker's attention than vinegar will.
Flopsy: Jazmee is living in a communal housing set up. The US postal service delivers boxes for that address. It is then the Building complex's task to get the mail sorted and put into internal delivery boxes. Jazmee has said there are hired employees who do this task most often but that there are also volunteer residents who help handle the job. The problem is most likely with those volunteers not having effective "on-the-job" training before being allowed to take on the job.
Back in my college days, when smoking in the dorm rooms and hallways wasn't allowed, we used the stairwells since they weren't designated as either smoking or non-smoking territory. Jazmee, does your bldg have stairwells that aren't used that often because of elevators?

#824118 - Sun Sep 16 2012 11:31 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: mehaul]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Mehaul: No, there aren’t any stairwells. The entire building’s to be nonsmoking—and, as I said earlier, concessions were made because the smokers complained about the bad weather. So they were told they could use the sixth floor balcony in bad weather. However, they (the smokers) used this as a green light and smoked up there in good weather. Then, there’s my neighbor, Audrey, who has used the fifth floor balcony to light up. (Sue, the administrator, has been up several times to speak with her, and she flat-out denies smoking on the balcony or in her apartment. She’s well aware of the rules, and for days at a time goes out to the designated areas. However, all too soon she goes right back to doing it where she’s not supposed to, no doubt assuming she can get away with it—and, why not: she has for years!)

At the one resident meeting, Mr. Rush (the CEO) was upset by the high volume of complaints about the smoking (I think this was last year). I raised my hand and suggested, tentatively, that some of the neighbors might be allergic or asthmatic (I’m very allergic, and was diagnosed with asthma sometime back, but it appears to be more stress-induced than anything else. One of my neighbors, on the same floor, has emphysema).

#824258 - Mon Sep 17 2012 07:12 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Seems I was wrong about the mail--it is the carrier frown

But I reported the smoke to the right person (though not sure if it'll do any good) frown

#824742 - Tue Sep 18 2012 05:28 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Went down for the mail, to find:
What looked like either a catalog or a phone book, bent to fit in the box

I reached in and thought, “Here we go again”

Later, back up in the apartment, I couldn’t help thinking that at least I’m not the only one here that happens to (the mailboxes resemble school lockers, but smaller, and are in rows and columns—I’m not even sure how many rows or columns; not that it matters, as I only need to know where mine is

#825180 - Thu Sep 20 2012 11:18 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Re: smoker –
Yesterday I made another report of smelling cigarette smoke in my kitchen (at the sink, or one of the counters; it’s the side of the apartment that faces Audrey’s). “Well, that’s interesting,” the administrator told me, “because the last time I talked to her family they said they weren’t giving her cigarettes anymore—so I don’t know where she’d be getting them.” I just barely managed to restrain myself from snapping that it doesn’t matter where they’re coming from, because she’s getting them somehow (previously, she claimed the smoke smell was emanating from her furniture).
I also told Sue that I’ve smelled smoke on and off for the past two weeks (and in the back of my mind, I’m afraid of having an asthma attack because of it).

#825973 - Sun Sep 23 2012 09:15 AM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Update on smoker:

She's leaving the building soon

#829257 - Wed Oct 03 2012 10:41 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Found a Braille catalog stuffed in there the other day frown

The receptionist suggested I call Susquehanna Association for the Blind, but not sure they can do anything for me frown

#829264 - Wed Oct 03 2012 11:15 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: Jazmee27]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Have you made inquires with the local Postmaster of the Post Office?. If it's their employees damaging your mail, you might get compensation if not future care to avoid damaging your property. Can the building assign you a box large enough to accept 10x15 sized materials? Close the small box and open the larger one.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Oct 03 2012 11:16 PM)

#829452 - Thu Oct 04 2012 02:26 PM Re: Do *Not* Put in Box [Re: mehaul]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just that one wall of mailboxes, same size for everyone smile

One of these days have got to look up number of post office (and, now that I think of it, perhaps the Blind Association's not such a bad idea after all)

Moderator:  ren33, sue943