Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#825961 - Sun Sep 23 2012 08:44 AM Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Over the past few days, I’ve been watching a lot of these on Lifetime Movie Network. I’ve found some to be more thought-provoking than others, and that, for the most part, I can follow what happens without having to see what’s going on (if someone’s with me, I might ask for clarification, or depending who it is they’ll just fill me in).

#825969 - Sun Sep 23 2012 09:05 AM Re: Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

The first one was called “He Loves Me.” The summary (I get them from NFB-Newsline, which has TV listings) was “a woman becomes increasingly paranoid and delusional after learning about her huusband’s infidelity” Without giving anything away, all I can say is that it was messed up to say the least.

#825972 - Sun Sep 23 2012 09:13 AM Re: Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

My grandmother and I watched “The Other Woman” yesterday morning. The summary: “A sexy young student tells a woman that she is going to steal her husband.” My grandmother liked it, but as I missed some, I found it to be incredibly confusing.

#826009 - Sun Sep 23 2012 10:18 AM Re: Lifetime Movies
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
In the case of "The Other Woman" (originally titled "Love and Other Impossible Pursuits" until distributed) Wikipedia cites Rotten Tomatoes web site as giving a poor review of the flick. They quote, "Natalie Portman and Lisa Kudrow deliver fine performances in "The Other Woman", but they're muted by Don Roos' clumsy direction and cluttered, melodramatic script". I read that as saying if you're mostly listening to the movie (and therefore dialog is most important) you will fail to appreciate the effort of two competent actresses. Seems you evaluated that one as well as the pros did!
I couldn't find an entry for just "He Loves Me" in Wikipedia but in the Internet Movie DataBase they had an entry for a work of that title starring Heather Locklear which only got a rating of 4.9 out of 10 from 103 viewers. The plot was said to be surreal and over the edge which usually means it has deficits similar to "The Other Woman": poor direction and script.
Too bad you didn't catch some better films to share with your grandmother. If you have a DVD player or a good downloading speed on your PC, maybe next time choose a film ahead of time and don't rely on a network's picks. In the case of a DVD (most libraries have a collection these days), I've heard that friends share discs but I'm not sure if the Copyright police will knock on your door or not. Your grandmother might have liked watching a film or two from her earlier years (Hollywood's better era) and while she relived them, you could have seen good films. That's not to say Kevin Smith's recent films aren't a bad watch...

Edited by mehaul (Sun Sep 23 2012 01:12 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#826033 - Sun Sep 23 2012 01:05 PM Re: Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Actually, “He Loves Me” wasn’t one I saw with my grandmother, as I saw that the day before we watched any (and both of us more or less enjoyed the next one).

I don’t typically do this, but I suggested “The Other Woman” as it was on, and it would help pass the time (I don’t know how to opoperate the DVD player, though I do have one, and I’m afraid it would only aggravate my grandmother if I asked her to try).

We didn’t discuss “The Other Woman” as I was in another room part of the time—but we did discuss “Cradle of Lies,” which is the movie I’d chosen as one I wanted to see. The summary is: “while pregnant with a baby girl, a woman learns that her husband must have a son to inherit his family’s fortune.”

I did ask for a little clarification at one point, but otherwise I followed it well. Grandma and I both believed the husband to be cruel (the exact words I used were, “lower than low.”)d

Thought-provoking and entertaining, plus far more realistic (in my view) than "The Other Woman" (which, by the way, is based on a book).

#826038 - Sun Sep 23 2012 01:57 PM Re: Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Another movie I didn’t care for, and which I wound up listening to as noise in the background, was “The Killing Game.” Like “The Other Woman,” it’s based off a book. The summary sounded good, though, and if I ever come across the boo I’ll read it. “A forensic sculptor risks her life after receiving clues from her daughter’s murderer.”

#826039 - Sun Sep 23 2012 02:01 PM Re: Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

“Best Friends” was slightly predictable in that, being blind, I listen for cues in a person’s tone more so than others. Summary: “A vicious woman terrorizes a friend who has a seemingly perfect life.” As soon as I heard the voice of the one character, I knew she was the vicious woman.

#826042 - Sun Sep 23 2012 02:09 PM Re: Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

The last movie I watched so far really isn’t something I’m in-to, but the title reminded me of a book I’d read. The film was “Confessions of a Go-Go Girl,” and the summary was “a young woman’s life spirals out of control when she takes a job as a go-go dancer.” Some of the music was OK, and the dialogue wasn’t half bad—I just found my mind wandering because it’s not “me.” I’m fairly certain some of my relatives might have liked it (and I know my grandmother wanted to see the one about Fantasia—but probably didn’t, as it was the late show).

#826611 - Tue Sep 25 2012 11:46 AM Re: Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

The summary of “Too Close to Home” grabbed me, “An obsessed woman interferes with her son’s attempts to move out and marry,” but I didn’t watch the full film because:
1. The music is so loud at spots that any talking is effectively drowned out (I have no problem with background music, but this certainly wasn’t it8); and
2. Sorry if I spoil this for anyone, but this one screamed “conflict of interest.” Here’s the son, defending his mother when she’s brought up on murder charges. I’m not even sure how realistic that is, seeing as I’m not sure a lawyer would be *allowed to do that. (I’ve also seen movies, not recently, in which the girlfriend defends her fiance).

#826644 - Tue Sep 25 2012 01:04 PM Re: Lifetime Movies
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Jeesh. all those messed up relationship movies on Lifetime could adversely change your view of life. Other channels with good movies to watch are AMC, FX, Starz!, SYFY (often but not continuously), does Hallmark run their own channel still(?) and the Premium pay channels.
I operate my DVD player in the dark. I remember which buttons do which thing. I locate my fingers to push the on, open(insert DVD)/close and play buttons and control the remote with the same touch/nolook method. Amaze your mom and grandmother by learning to operate your DVD player and borrow movies from the Library. You're never going to hear "Citizen Kane", "The African Queen" or "Casablanca" on the cable channels (unless you subscribe to a movie service and I believe all their on screen menus are mute so they would be a real challenge to you to utilize).

Edited by mehaul (Tue Sep 25 2012 01:10 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#826741 - Tue Sep 25 2012 05:50 PM Re: Lifetime Movies
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I’ve tried FX, and have yet to find a movie I can get into (so much visual stuff). I’ve done a few TCM, with various results (as Mom says, they’re “hit or m9iss.”) Been meaning to try AMC, but haven’t done so yet. Yes, Hallmark has their channel, but I’ve also not done that yet (though a few times last December some shows caught my eye). Yes, the films on LMN are dysfunctional and could warp one’s view, though I think mine was warped a long time ago (very dysfunctional family myself). Plus, I seem to gravitate toward LMN more so than other channels (not Lifetime, though I have it; the last couple films I watched on there bored me to tears, and I’m thinking the one I’m thinking of was the older version of a film I’d seen on the other channel).

I’ve also watched at least one movie on one of my local channels, but I haven’t checked the listings for those lately (on the weekends, something will be showing). Oh, yes, have also watched a few on E and USA.

I think having memorized all the channels (1-9 and 0) plus the channel up and down and the volume are enough for me (besides, I have two remotes, one for the Cable and one for the TV, and I occasionally still get confused and turn the Cable box off). The remote for the Cable is more complex than the other remote, but at this point I think I’ll just stick to what I know (besides, I’m afraid if I started using the DVD player I’d bust something—much like I did my CD and tape recorders).

Plus, I really am selective about movies (it really has to grab me quick, and unless I’m watching with someone else I can’t have so much visual stuff—the one exception to that was “The Princess Bride,” which I saw a few years ago on ABC Family—oops, forgot that one).

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong