Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 15 of 91 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#827433 - Thu Sep 27 2012 02:55 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Quote:
What I think is frustrating people with the challenges the most is that the game is new, and everyone wants to complete all the challenges

Amen! Hallelujah! I think you hit the jackpot here. That is the reason, I am sure of it.

I felt the exact same way as well, but as time went on, I didn't mind missing one every now and again. I think people will cool off. I agree, it's discouraging to see a challenge you cannot win, but such is life. Not every challenge fits every individual.

To tweak all the challenges to please everyone is silly. I think the challenges are fine the way they are. They are all great, and doable (though some might be impossible for players, but hey, can't win'em all).

Honestly, I think kaddarsgirl is completely correct. People just want their own challenges to be easier. I know I felt that way. I, today, am going to have to live with not winning the difficult, or using my one swap (which should remain as one swap) a week.

#827440 - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:06 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
surdoux Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nottinghamshire England UK    
Exactly right! Everything should be difficult but doable (even if it's once in a blue moon). I play golf a lot, and on my home course there is a par four of 349 yards which I can get very close to most time with a good drive. I've reached the green once in the last ten years, and the satisfaction that gave was indescribable. If it was a bit shorter and reachable quite often, it would cease to be a proper challenge and hence less enjoyable in the long run. So for me, everything as it is seems fine!

#827443 - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:12 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: surdoux]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I love the analogy, surdoux.

You're right, if we make things too easy and there is no challenge, what's the fun in winning? The winning comes from, not the reward in the end, but the journey one takes to get it. The FunTrivia treasure is this way. I liked the actual hunt far more than the badge.

If everything was always easy for us to win, this game would soon become a not-so-fun-to-play game.

Also, a bit off topic...
1,113 challenges have been won today. That means the interest is there. That's exciting news.

#827444 - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I haven't been successful in every task so far. I personally feel some of them SHOULD be nearly impossible (for me, doesn't mean they're impossible for better players). For instance, yesterday I had the crystal ball task and for some weird reason won it. The fact that I won it would not change my opinion - which is that you have 24 (x5) chances to do so and if you don't? So what? It's NOT A RACE lol. Today my difficult task is to score in the top 3 in a Global Challenge section. I don't think I've ever been on the first page, never mind the top 3 lol. As always, I have the choice of NOT playing, or giving it a go, or swapping it out since I'm a gold member. Shrugs. It's a great game so far and (I can't believe I'm saying this lol) actually agree with Salami on certain points lol.

And Surdoux? You're adorable and very funny : )

Edited by Jakeroo (Thu Sep 27 2012 03:15 PM)
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#827446 - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:18 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
The winning comes from, not the reward in the end, but the journey one takes to get it. The FunTrivia treasure is this way. I liked the actual hunt far more than the badge.

As soon as I completed the treasure hunt I wish I hadn't. The accomplishment felt so good after month of hard work and clue collecting. It was a bit depressing though to see the clues flash on the top of the screen and not have to check my list or add a new one or even read it. I wish there had been a second hunt to complete that became available after the first, so I'd have something to work toward. These Daily Challenges are very similar in that respect, and that's really why I love them. Something new every day. Luck in getting an Epic. Collecting all the flags. Bam! New gorgeous badge to add to my profile! Though I serious expect this trek to last much longer than my 2 month treasure hunt did.

#827448 - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:21 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Jakeroo]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Hey, whoa now, why are you surprised to agree with me? wink lol.

You mentioned an important fact, it's not a race. This game is designed to be a challenge against yourself. If you lose out on a few challenges, or have a vacation and don't do them for a while, so what? You'll pick up where you left off. In Global Challenge, missing a few is detrimental. Here, it's no big deal.

I like that aspect of this challenge. It's your own challenge. If you fail, nobody else has to even know. wink It's all you, and you're competing against no one. I like these daily challenges a lot. smile

#827461 - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
Something new every day. Luck in getting an Epic. Collecting all the flags. Bam! New gorgeous badge to add to my profile! Though I serious expect this trek to last much longer than my 2 month treasure hunt did.

Much, much longer. You don't even know how long smile

#827470 - Thu Sep 27 2012 04:21 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
Much, much longer. You don't even know how long smile

Well it will take at least a year to get the 200 badge...especially with challenges I can't complete...and then I know there's more after that...I am really looking forward to playing them everyday!

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Thu Sep 27 2012 04:22 PM)

#827483 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:03 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I think even after I've won all the badges, there'll be motivation to complete the challenges (or try to!), and it'll be good for getting me playing games I neglect more. It's a fantastic addition to the site and I'm glad for it. smile

#827485 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: reeshy]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I will personally always have this motivation...

I want to eventually have more challenges completed and more credits than anyone on the site. :-P

Never miss a challenge, or, at least, never a full day, similar to dabomb and the busride. ;-)

#827486 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:19 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Excellent motivation and worthy goal, Salami_swami.

I just have to mention that there are three players who have not missed a single busride. Dabomb as you said, also Zippy826 and tat2jb. Three cheers for the three travelers!

#827491 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:34 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Dagny1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Yes, I know there are three, thanks for mentioning the other two. I could not remember the names. :-P

#827492 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:34 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Dagny1]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
I love the daily Challenges. I'm also happy to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't like The Crystal Ball game! I had the challenge to win a Crystal Ball game the second day, I swapped it out and completed all the challenges. I received the Crystal Ball challenge again today! Oh well, completing all challenges today will not happen! There's always tomorrow!

#827501 - Thu Sep 27 2012 09:26 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: Terry
Originally Posted By: Mariamir
I got it two days in a row, too. Use my swap the second time because I didn't want to bother about it.

Records show that you have not received this two days in a row.

No challenge of the same type and difficulty level will repeat two days in a row. If you receive it day 1 and swap it out, it can arrive day 2, but that doesn't sound like what you are describing.

Hmm, maybe not two days in a row. Maybe day 1 and day 3, I think. Got it day 1, I'm sure. Then day 2/3. I switched it the second time I got it.

#827511 - Thu Sep 27 2012 09:55 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
The problem with winning is that it essentially requires to sit out the very specific time at the end of the hour multiple times, waiting for the right moment to strike. Many players can't adhere to this exact attendance requirement and thus have almost no chance at CB.

Thanks for pointing this out, Wes. Those of us who work and who are trying to fit in some way to do challenges in our breaks would never be able to hit five hours of the crystal ball with the additional guesses too.

Sue

#827521 - Thu Sep 27 2012 10:55 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: shuehorn]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
No whinging and whining here Terry! I love it all! Thanks to you and your fabulous team for putting it all together. Clearly Wes must have cloned himself several times over to be able to do what he does for this site. A special thanks to you Wes for your unfailing good humour, patience and dedication.

#827528 - Fri Sep 28 2012 12:19 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Terry, I won the "Mind Melt" challenge badge from playing the game yesterday, but it was awarded at 12:03 FT Time and didn't give me credit for my Difficult Challenge: "Complete a Major FunTrivia Challenge that results in a badge being won. Note that mini-challenges do not count."... cry cry cry

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Fri Sep 28 2012 12:21 AM)

#827566 - Fri Sep 28 2012 03:33 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
collybird Offline
Participant

Loc: Angus-Forfarshire Scotland UK 
I think one of the ways to solve the "I really don't like this game" might be to make the GM swap more accessible - allow more uses per week but attach a cost of one credit to the second use, two for the third... (still only once per day of course)

That way, everyone can decide for themselves which are their "absolute hate" games.

I think this is a great idea!

I'd also like the ability to postpone challenges. Yesterday I got the dreaded Crystal Ball one, I had to go to work so I swapped it out as I'd never have managed in just a few hours. Today I'm off and would have happily tried for it!

#827606 - Fri Sep 28 2012 06:53 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Terry, I won the "Mind Melt" challenge badge from playing the game yesterday, but it was awarded at 12:03 FT Time and didn't give me credit for my Difficult Challenge: "Complete a Major FunTrivia Challenge that results in a badge being won. Note that mini-challenges do not count."... cry cry cry

Seems a bit unfair. You *did* complete the challenge, within the allotted time. This would happen with other badges, as well, that are given past the reset.

#827609 - Fri Sep 28 2012 07:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: postcards2go]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
Good point! My Difficult challenge today is "Rank in the top 3 (in your division) in one of your Global Challenge games today (when the set closes)", so if I do this in the second set, it won't be calculated until "tomorrow" either.

Mind you, on current form, I won't get it anyway!

#827610 - Fri Sep 28 2012 07:33 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: stedman]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: stedman
Good point! My Difficult challenge today is "Rank in the top 3 (in your division) in one of your Global Challenge games today (when the set closes)", so if I do this in the second set, it won't be calculated until "tomorrow" either.

Mind you, on current form, I won't get it anyway!

Global Challenge Second Set works. We tried that in testing.

#827615 - Fri Sep 28 2012 08:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: collybird]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: collybird
I'd also like the ability to postpone challenges. Yesterday I got the dreaded Crystal Ball one, I had to go to work so I swapped it out as I'd never have managed in just a few hours. Today I'm off and would have happily tried for it!

The problem I have with this one is people who have failed a challenge, then postpone it and try it again tomorrow. This seems like cheating the system to get the credits. Some people might use it the way you suggest, but you can't guarantee they'll use it that way. If you fail a challenge, it's failed. You shouldn't get the chance to play for it again tomorrow.

I also think one swap a week is fine, no need to make it available every day, even at a price. You don't have to win every single challenge. "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." It would be best, actually, to lose it altogether and just stick people with what they get. But...I think it will most likely be necessary to have it to earn "Ten in a Day"...and should be kept in for that alone. Plus it's nice to have the Gold Member perk, but it shouldn't make the game infinitely easier for GMs to win, than it is for regular members. They already don't get to play all the games and can't win all the flags.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Fri Sep 28 2012 08:16 AM)

#827617 - Fri Sep 28 2012 08:17 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
The daily challenges are just that - challenges. Playing a game that is out of your comfort zone, well, that's a challenge, isn't it? The set-up is random, so I think we all just have to live with it if we are given a game that we're not particularly fond of. smile Who knows, you might get lucky, and you might even change your mind about the game in the end! smile

#827622 - Fri Sep 28 2012 09:06 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA

Hm, it certainly would be nice to be able to count that.

Unfortunately, mind melt scores after the challenges complete, and the badge falls on the next day. There really isn't an easy way to make it (or other daily game badges awarded when they reset) count, unless I redo the scheduling for everything, which has all sorts of potential unintended consequences of its own.

#827623 - Fri Sep 28 2012 09:08 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Terry

Hm, it certainly would be nice to be able to count that.

Unfortunately, mind melt scores after the challenges complete, and the badge falls on the next day. There really isn't an easy way to make it (or other daily game badges awarded when they reset) count, unless I redo the scheduling for everything, which has all sorts of potential unintended consequences of its own.

frown Oh, well. At least I know I completed it smile

Page 15 of 91 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Terry