Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 51 of 92 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 91 92 >
Topic Options
#953834 - Wed Dec 05 2012 03:49 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
pfgbb1 Offline
Participant

Loc: New Hampshire USA
I went to daily challenge this a.m. and saw that my difficult challenge was the head to head Who's the Expert. I played my first set at 7:13 a.m. (1970's music). At that time I am not sure that I was assigned an opponent. I scored 1452. I came back in to daily challenge and my opponent's score was posted (same set- 1970's music).

#953835 - Wed Dec 05 2012 03:49 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Also, I believe your daily challenges get assigned to you when you click "Your Daily Challenges" and not when you first come to the site. Perhaps you played the "Who's the Expert?" game, then clicked on the daily challenges link. Like salami_swami, I thought I'd check even though I'm probably sure this wasn't the issue.

#953836 - Wed Dec 05 2012 03:53 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: pfgbb1]
pfgbb1 Offline
Participant

So bottom line, do I need to wait until assigned an opponent? Problem with that is that if I wait for an opponent, I may miss my best topics. I just need to know the rules to play by.

#953837 - Wed Dec 05 2012 03:55 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
pfgbb1 Offline
Participant

I went to the game from the link in Daily challenges - that I remember because the expert game is not my best or favorite

#953844 - Wed Dec 05 2012 04:05 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: pfgbb1]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: pfgbb1
I went to daily challenge this a.m. and saw that my difficult challenge was the head to head Who's the Expert. I played my first set at 7:13 a.m. (1970's music). At that time I am not sure that I was assigned an opponent. I scored 1452. I came back in to daily challenge and my opponent's score was posted (same set- 1970's music).

Probably the reason your opponent's score counted, but yours didn't, is because they played Expert after getting the challenge.

Let me see if I understand this...you played the Expert game after getting the challenge, but it didn't count probably because you didn't have an opponent?

Obviously, just like what salami said, if you'd played before getting the challenge it wouldn't count.

#953851 - Wed Dec 05 2012 04:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
If a player goes to meet the challenge through using the link posted in the challenge, shouldn't that effort be counted? In other words, maybe the fault is in having a link that works before an opponent is assigned in this challenge.

#953852 - Wed Dec 05 2012 04:42 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: mehaul
If a player goes to meet the challenge through using the link posted in the challenge, shouldn't that effort be counted? In other words, maybe the fault is in having a link that works before an opponent is assigned in this challenge.

What do you mean, a link that works? Hopefully all links work, whether there is an opponent or not. I don't know if the attempt before an opponent is assigned counts or not, it was never tested. That's why I was asking.

#953855 - Wed Dec 05 2012 05:36 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I have had this challenge before, and I have never been able to play before getting an opponent. Perhaps that is the issue, that no one was assigned when you played. That doesn't make sense, but I guess you cannot compete if you dont have an opponent.

It would be the most logical assumption. If this is indeed the case, I would like to ask that you can have scores counted before having an opponent. smile

#953856 - Wed Dec 05 2012 05:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
My sister played the other day without having received an opponent and did actually get credited for her score.

#953861 - Wed Dec 05 2012 06:07 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: reeshy]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
In other words, maybe the fault is in having a link that works before an opponent is assigned in this challenge.

That wouldn't matter-- you're assigned the next player who gets that challenge (usually within minutes). When that player loads up doesn't affect the link and vice versa.

#953866 - Wed Dec 05 2012 06:24 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
It's definitely a bug however if you can't play the second you get the challenge. If this is true, Terry will have to look at it.

I would also like to have verification of the issue - if any of the former beta testers or any other volunteer gets the expert challenge without yet having an opponent in the next days, please play one round as quickly as possible so we can be sure this is the reason for the error.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Wed Dec 05 2012 06:24 PM)

#953869 - Wed Dec 05 2012 06:39 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
CmdrK Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
I had that happen a few weeks ago. I had played before I was assigned an opponent so that score didn't show on the screen. Too bad, because after I got an opponent, that score would have beat any of his.

#953870 - Wed Dec 05 2012 06:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: CmdrK]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

I'll put this one on Terry's agenda if he doesn't see it here anyway.

#953874 - Wed Dec 05 2012 07:10 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
No, the challenge does not begin until you are assigned an opponent.

That way, both people have exactly the same opportunity to play the same sets.

Otherwise, player A might be able to play in "For Children: Fruit that start with the letter B" and player B never gets that chance.

#953876 - Wed Dec 05 2012 07:45 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Aha, answer revealed! thanks Terry. smile

#953877 - Wed Dec 05 2012 07:52 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
That wouldn't matter-- you're assigned the next player who gets that challenge (usually within minutes). When that player loads up doesn't affect the link and vice versa.

Right, it seems it doesn't matter to the link whether there is an opponent or not. That's the problem. A player expects that a link provided by the challenge is going to lead to a valid play. In this case, it seems not to have been a valid play through a (valid?) challenge link.
Spelled out a little more, the link should only be presented when that opponent's been assigned. Sure, a player could still just go to WtE? and play but that is without the validity that the link implied, then it's a matter of caveat emptor.

#953878 - Wed Dec 05 2012 08:01 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: mehaul

Right, it seems it doesn't matter to the link whether there is an opponent or not. That's the problem. A player expects that a link provided by the challenge is going to lead to a valid play. In this case, it seems not to have been a valid play through a (valid?) challenge link.
Spelled out a little more, the link should only be presented when that opponent's been assigned. Sure, a player could still just go to WtE? and play but that is without the validity that the link implied, then it's a matter of caveat emptor.

That sounds like a very complicated setup for a challenge. It would be a lot easier just to add a blurb to the challenge text laying out this new information.

#953882 - Wed Dec 05 2012 08:25 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Either way's fine (an activated link upon opponent declaration or just a blurb) but it seems misleading now if the case is that a link can be made while a challenge play is invalid due to no opponent assigned, or an opponent in the same hour's play not being a valid opponent for player A because of early play. I don't see the trouble to add the link in the challenge update that says "Your opponent is... and can be played here."

Edited by mehaul (Wed Dec 05 2012 08:26 PM)

#953890 - Wed Dec 05 2012 11:04 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I don't think you have to click through the WtE link on the Daily Challenge page to get the game to count. I don't believe I have had to do that. It has worked for me getting to WtE from the home page.

#953920 - Thu Dec 06 2012 02:11 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: gracious1]
Forum Champion

Quote:
I don't think you have to click through the WtE link on the Daily Challenge page to get the game to count. I don't believe I have had to do that. It has worked for me getting to WtE from the home page.

That's correct; I did it this way.

#953921 - Thu Dec 06 2012 02:48 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
All it needs to say (if it doesn't already) is - 'games played before an opponent is assigned will not count'.

#953923 - Thu Dec 06 2012 02:57 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: rossian]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Added the timing rules for Experts' Duel to the game FAQ, it would however still be helpful to have an obvious, bold warning message in your challenge if you can't start yet - it's easy to lose track of this restriction even if you know about it and it could lead to the first player locking himself out of an hour he really would have liked to play by making a jump start.

Something along the lines of "This challenge is not yet active. It will activate once you have been assigned an opponent - please check back in a few minutes!" should do.

Don't know how easy this would be to code as a dynamic display, however.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Dec 06 2012 03:02 AM)

#953929 - Thu Dec 06 2012 04:47 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Another angle that seems wrong on this WtE? now is that if no opponent is assigned (which would only happen to the last sign-in, right?, but still...) a player is warned off playing any WtE?s when plays done without opponent won't count and might miss the opportunity to win it as the only player that competed (it was said above that a player wins against no shows, but it was not clear if a game needed to be registered as played or not or that the challenge may be awarded without play.)

Edited by mehaul (Thu Dec 06 2012 04:48 AM)

#953930 - Thu Dec 06 2012 05:44 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Forum Champion

This is all so overcomplicated. confused

#953932 - Thu Dec 06 2012 05:52 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

This is all so overcomplicated. confused

Quite, I agree with rossian. A one liner is sufficient, no more pother and bother needed.

Page 51 of 92 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 91 92 >

Moderator:  Terry