Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 77 of 90 < 1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 89 90 >
Topic Options
#985663 - Sun May 26 2013 10:53 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: Buddy1
If you didn't click on Daily Challenges, then you shouldn't have been assigned any daily challenges.
So, is there the possibility that I was not assigned as a Nemesis opponent and this player was pulling my chain?
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#985665 - Sun May 26 2013 11:01 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
The only way to find out isd to click and see it for yourself. wink

#985676 - Sun May 26 2013 11:51 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

No, not the only way. smile I think a mod or admin could give an answer.

It was yesterday. And, I didn't want to click in because I didn't want to take points away from that player if I was assigned and they had lower points than me. I remember if I'd failed on a 3 pointer when going for 20-20-20 it would have been a big setback because those difficult challenges are just that. And, I don't care if I got the points or not. I am not actively involved in this venue now and desire to avoid it altogether.

The question I have is solely: "Are folks assigned without going to the Daily Challenge page?" I ask because I was told by a self claimed opponent that I was assigned as a Nemesis without ever accepting a challenge. To the best of my knowledge, I never retreated from the Challenge Page so I don't believe I accidentally clicked into it. Whether I won or not is what I'd find by going today and that still doesn't answer the question of specifically when do assignments take place? I guess there is another angle floating along with this question then and it is: "Are points being accrued by users even if they don't go to the Challenge Page?" Some of the answers here seem to indicate that pointing is going on even if the Challenge isn't accepted.

#985687 - Sun May 26 2013 12:08 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
If challenges were automatically assigned when you visited FT, then you wouldn't have people failing challenges because they aren't retroactive. If you get a challenge (that's not retroactive) for, say, Smartest and the challenge was given as soon as you signed on, then you'd complete the challenge as soon as you get the required score. That doesn't happen - you have to get the score *after* you click on the challenges page.

So I don't think the challenges are assigned until (or unless) you visit the challenge page. Unless you did go to the challenge page (accidentally) or the person (for some unknown reason) is lying about you being assigned a challenge to them, I can't explain how that happened.

~(_8(I)

#985709 - Sun May 26 2013 02:40 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
For reasons of system load (and to ensure fairness in the partner / opponent challenges), the server will only give you the challenges as soon as you click onto the challenge page for the first time each day. This also means that if you get Nemesis or Expert, you will play against someone who picked up the challenge near the same time.

#985712 - Sun May 26 2013 03:16 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Thank you, WesleyCrusher. Much appreciated.
I take this to indicate that the player made a mistake in identifying me as their opponent in Nemesis or there was some other motive in contacting me.

#985713 - Sun May 26 2013 03:18 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
But!...wait...does this mean....?

Come on, mehaul don't leave us in suspense! Have you looked at yesterday's challenges and did you get the Nemesis? smile

#985716 - Sun May 26 2013 03:27 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

I haven't looked at yesterday's results. To do so, mustn't one sign on for today's challenges to see the link to yesterday's results? Is there a round about link to peek through?

#985718 - Sun May 26 2013 03:32 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
What does it hurt to take a look? Whether you check the page and don't play or if you just don't check the page you get the same amount of points, and don't lose any.

#985722 - Sun May 26 2013 04:10 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

The Daily Challenges are personal hills to climb. Yes, there are some that cross over into competitive efforts against other players. But, it remains a personal challenge that could effect other's enjoyment of the offering if I go to the DC page. I'd rather not risk impacting other player's enjoyment just to see yesterday's score. That isn't that important to me. The 'problem' of someone identifying me as their nemesis when I hadn't signed on was troubling. Wesley's answer that if I hadn't signed up, I couldn't have been selected as someone's Nemesis opponent answers my question. I no longer need to know if points were scored or who scored them. The itinerary of my trip through FT doesn't have the Hills of DC on its map.
Please note, I am not trying to argue with anyone in this matter. I got my answer and I'm satisfied. If the other person's actions are still a mystery to some of you, welcome to the club. Looking at result pages won't bring any light to that quandry however. Thanks to all of you for trying to explain some of this.

#985727 - Sun May 26 2013 04:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Let me see if I get this. You don't want to get Daily Challenges, because it may affect other people's enjoyment of it. Is that it?
I know there are some joint challenges, but there are only three of those (all difficult challenges) and in one of them. Personally, I don't see how it would affect anyone else's enjoyment.
Also, if you click on the link below, I think you can get to yesterday's daily challenges without being assigned today's, although I am not sure.
http://www.funtrivia.com/dchallenge/yesterday.cfm

#985732 - Sun May 26 2013 05:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Good find.

Buddy's link brought me straight to my "yesterday's challenges".

#985736 - Sun May 26 2013 06:23 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Chavs
Good find.

Buddy's link brought me straight to my "yesterday's challenges".

But that doesn't necessarily confirm that it lets you see them without signing you up for today's challenges. Won't know that until tomorrow. I still don't see why it is so important to not see today's anyway, though. What difference does it make if you're assigned as a Nemesis anyway? If you're not assigned as a Nemesis, someone else wil be, and the whole fun in that challenge is trying to best the other person anyway. An easy win is not fun. Twin can always be won by a single person scoring points, and Expert only counts scores after challenges are received. It doesn't really matter if your Twin/Nemesis plays or not. I don't see anything wrong with just checking the page and not bothering with it again. I do it myself all the time.

#985743 - Sun May 26 2013 07:54 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Okay, I went and here is what I found (Please remember, I did not knowingly accept the challenges by going there. If I had accidentally hit the remotely located Challenges link, I certainly did not go through the steps which would be needed to back out or go forward through the page to a specific challenge. I did not play Impossible yesterday since I've reached Level 9 and am 360 players out of the lead. Playing Impossible at this point would kill my rating number!)
Originally Posted By: DC Results Page edited for brevity
Welcome to FunTrivia Daily Challenges! Each day you will get 3 new challenges -- give them a shot if you want to challenge yourself.

Don't worry if you can't ... or any other bug, please report it here.
Return to Homepage
Yesterday's Challenges
Daily Challenge Intro & FAQ - Today's Challenges

A total of 5 Challenges can be completed here...
...Awarded to a player who completes 200 easy, 200 medium, and 200 difficult daily challenges.
Winners So Far: 111. Last winner: LauraMcC.

Your Stats
Completions: Easy: XX, Medium: XX, Difficult: XX
Challenges Complete: XXX, Credits earned: XXX
Spend 9 Credits to Gain a New Challenge
Gold Member Perk: Switch out a Challenge (once per week)
Easier
Completion: One FunTrivia Credit
Score at least 50% in today's Brain Twist game.
Complete (Check Mark!)

Medium
Completion: Two FunTrivia Credits
Slightly tricky... Score at least 495 points in one of today's Impossible! games in the Global Challenge.
Incomplete

Difficult
Completion: Three FunTrivia Credits
Today's challenge is called NEMESIS. Two gladiators. One reward. Your goal is simple: score more points by 11:50 PM (just before midnight) than your nemesis. Only one of you will complete this challenge! Your nemesis for today is player XXXXXXXXX.
Complete (Check Mark!)

Don't see the actual numbers of the Nemesis outcome, but it does say I won it. I don't see that as fair to my opponent since I never intended to partake in the challenge. I see I scored points for my results in BrainTwist. This did increase my total score without having accepted the challenge.

#985750 - Sun May 26 2013 08:13 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

How exactly is not fair to your opponent that you never intended to partake in the challenge?

#985755 - Sun May 26 2013 08:30 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Whether you were actively competing or not, your play set a target of which your Nemesis opponent was aware, and which they could attempt to surpass. If it hadn't been you, it would have been someone else, who might have scored even more points than you did. It looks as if you did hit one of the Challenge links, even if unintentionally, then moved forward to another spot without checking the page to see what the challenges were.
edited to remove typo

Edited by looney_tunes (Sun May 26 2013 08:31 PM)

#985757 - Sun May 26 2013 08:35 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: mehaul
I don't see that as fair to my opponent since I never intended to partake in the challenge. I see I scored points for my results in BrainTwist. This did increase my total score without having accepted the challenge.

What's not fair about it? Your Nemesis had as much chance as you to score points yesterday. Your score of 3434 (from your profile) is not that hard to beat. Someone who really wanted to beat your score could have spent an hour or two playing quizzes and games and beaten you. It seems perfectly fair to me. And besides, not everyone can win every challenge, so what difference does it really make in the end?

#985759 - Sun May 26 2013 08:44 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

There is only one Home Page link into the Challenges that I know of. It is located up near the page top below where today's point total is printed and above how many overall challenges the player has completed. The DC is the only link among those items. No chance I accidentally went there. I have not entered the Challenge page in nearly two months. Does it surprise some that not all of us are taken with this challenge concept and that other aspects of FT are more appealing?
The note sent to me entailed part of a concession (I had 2200 pts at the time and the other had 1200) Who's to say they wouldn't have given up if paired against another player?
But as I've stated, my answer was given by Wesley that it takes going to the challenge page to activate the challenges. It seems that somehow the challenges are being triggered without a visit. I apologize to the other player for my thought that they had erroneously cited me as their opponent.

#985762 - Sun May 26 2013 08:49 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
mehaul wrote: "I am not actively involved in this venue now and desire to avoid it altogether."

Why? What has happened? You don't seem to be avoiding the venue. More confused with each post.

And I was kidding when I said the only way to find out would be to check. That's why I winked. Sorry that humor doesn't always come across in written messages.

#985763 - Sun May 26 2013 08:50 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

The note sent to me entailed part of a concession (I had 2200 pts at the time and the other had 1200) Who's to say they wouldn't have given up if paired against another player?

I think that's exactly the point we've been making.

But as I've stated, my answer was given by Wesley that it takes going to the challenge page to activate the challenges. It seems that somehow the challenges are being triggered without a visit.

People accidentally click things all the time. Are you 100% sure that you didn't accidentally load the page without realizing?

#985764 - Sun May 26 2013 08:58 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

But as I've stated, my answer was given by Wesley that it takes going to the challenge page to activate the challenges.

True, but you also wrote:

It was yesterday. And, I didn't want to click in because I didn't want to take points away from that player if I was assigned and they had lower points than me. I remember if I'd failed on a 3 pointer when going for 20-20-20 it would have been a big setback because those difficult challenges are just that. And, I don't care if I got the points or not.

and:

The Daily Challenges are personal hills to climb. Yes, there are some that cross over into competitive efforts against other players. But, it remains a personal challenge that could effect other's enjoyment of the offering if I go to the DC page. I'd rather not risk impacting other player's enjoyment just to see yesterday's score.

which is what others, including myself, have been responding to.

#985770 - Sun May 26 2013 09:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: Silly Puppy Pix Teehee
Why? What has happened? You don't seem to be avoiding the venue. More confused with each post.

Why? This challenge has grown into a match of visual accuity, dextrous agility and hardware superiority. Not specifically in the tasks assigned but that those tasks are all filled with time penalties. Once passed the initial easy badges I think it'd take me years to accomplish much more. I am happy with other offerings of FT to amuse me. I think not clicking the challenge page in two months means I am avoiding the venue. I am only here now becuase of the issue which has been clarified about triggering involvement.
I think there is some breakdown in the assignment process because, in my absence from the venue and my visit to the results page today, it looks like I've earned a lot of easy points in the past two months. And I haven't been unintentionally visiting the challenge page that often.

#985771 - Sun May 26 2013 09:56 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

It sounds like you're saying that because you're not likely to complete the difficult challenges you don't want to even know what they are. Am I getting this wrong or is am I correct? If I'm correct, then there's nothing wrong with trying the challenges. Also, no one's pleasure is being decreased if you get assigned one of the three partner challenges.

(By the way, since this really isn't a bug or question, should this be split off from the current thread? I'm reminded of a similar conversation about the Ten in a Day mini-badge that was split off since it wasn't a bug or question.)

#985772 - Sun May 26 2013 10:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I'm thinking that as mehaul is satisfied he has his answer, perhaps we should just let the whole discussion end.

#985781 - Sun May 26 2013 10:54 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I think the question we now have is why he thinks people's enjoyment will decrease based on what he does. That thought has never crossed my mind. (Or is it similar to when people don't like it when there's a gold member vs. non-gold member Nemesis challenge? Some view it as unfair rather than an easy win or one of many near-impossible difficult challenges depending on which side you're on.)

Page 77 of 90 < 1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 89 90 >

Moderator:  Terry