Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 60 of 91 < 1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#959058 - Thu Jan 03 2013 01:40 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: pollucci19]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: pollucci19
Terry, can you please check my teammates card ... the fixed up expert game should have given her the 10 in a day but nothing has come through so far

Sorry, who are you talking about here?

#959076 - Thu Jan 03 2013 02:44 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
pollucci19 Offline
Participant

Loc: Western Australia
Apologies Terry, team mate is Dragonfrog

#959099 - Thu Jan 03 2013 04:07 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Thanks - mini badge awarded.

#959138 - Thu Jan 03 2013 09:26 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
Mehaul, surely the best way to realize certain bugs are there is for them to manifest themselves during play? How can you know bugs are there otherwise?

#959180 - Fri Jan 04 2013 01:49 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I agree.

Just because "I", personally, haven't experienced a problem on a particular issue, doesn't mean other people haven't.

And it doesn't necessarily mean that those folks who HAVE experienced problems "don't get it" or are "stupid" or "didn't read the rules" or "weren't part of the testing program so their experience is irrelevant", just because they report a problem.

And I'm certainly not singling out Mehaul here, but some non-staff folks should probably just be quiet and let other people speak their peace about possible bugs.

As always, some points/questions are indeed "glitches"; others not so much. Doesn't really matter, as the "validity" of the complaint is not up to the general public to decide since we're not in charge of the mechanisms of delivery : )

(hugs and kisses and all that other stuff of course ~).
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#959199 - Fri Jan 04 2013 03:36 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
pollucci19 Offline
Participant

Loc: Western Australia
Thanks Terry, our DF is a happy lass at the moment.

#959369 - Sat Jan 05 2013 05:05 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Don't know if it's considered a bug but more a question of two challenges creating problems. They're not exactly incompatible so wouldn't get picked up that way but I thought it was worth a mention in case anyone else agreed.

I got the "score XXXX amount of points in the "Who's the Expert" recently as a medium challenge - not a problem you just need to play quite a lot of games to reach it if you're not a champ.

But I got twin challenge where I have the four shots at beating a twin in the 'Expert" as my hard challenge. Obviously I didn't want to play 'Expert' until they were categories I had a hope in winning but I couldn't afford to not play them to be able to win my medium.

I got lucky and manged both but just thought it was something to think about - don't know whether it just comes under the 'bad luck' category or not

#959371 - Sat Jan 05 2013 06:17 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
In this combination you shouldn't be in that much trouble. Usually, 5 decent plays are enough to fill the medium so even if you are waiting for a specific 4th round, you'd only need one after that (already having played four good games). Quite often you won't need your 4th for the duel anyway (already having an excellent score) and could immediately go for the medium after one good play.

I'd chalk it as bad luck and a unique extra challenge - as you yourself experienced, this is quite a beatable combination.

#959373 - Sat Jan 05 2013 06:34 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
superfan123 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Something happened with my challenge. It doesn't really change anything, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen. My medium challenge was to play four quizzes, each with at least three Es. I played a Celebrity quiz and then played an Evanescence quiz. Now, I played another Evanescence quiz, but I had forgotten that I couldn't do two quizzes in the same subcategory. When I returned to the daily challenge page, my score on the first Evanescence score was gone, and instead replaced by the score of the second Evanescence quiz. Is this supposed to happen? I always assumed that if you played another quiz in the same subcategory, they wouldn't count it at all, but now they overlapped the previous one with the new one.

#959430 - Sat Jan 05 2013 01:22 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
It wouldn't have been beatable if my twin had played - I won because they didn't.

My first 6 hours 'expert' (using the 'see the future') were ones I had no hope with (500 points each if I was lucky) so I didn't want to play them to have them counting for my difficult challenge.

I would then have to leave the site knowing I only had 3 possible more games when I came back later before the end of the FT day - 3 games could not win me the medium challenge so I had to play my lousy categories for a chance to get my medium challenge which would have automatically cost me my difficult challenge IF my opponent had played.

A lot of us aren't 'expert' champions so we need more plays to get the medium challenge and we really need to be able to wait for the topics we have a chance with to try to beat our opponent for the difficult.

It was bad luck to get them together (and I had good luck that my opponent didn't play) but I thought it was worth mentioning to maybe stop them occurring on the same day for someone else

#959462 - Sat Jan 05 2013 07:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: superfan123]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: superfan123
Something happened with my challenge. It doesn't really change anything, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen. My medium challenge was to play four quizzes, each with at least three Es. I played a Celebrity quiz and then played an Evanescence quiz. Now, I played another Evanescence quiz, but I had forgotten that I couldn't do two quizzes in the same subcategory. When I returned to the daily challenge page, my score on the first Evanescence score was gone, and instead replaced by the score of the second Evanescence quiz. Is this supposed to happen? I always assumed that if you played another quiz in the same subcategory, they wouldn't count it at all, but now they overlapped the previous one with the new one.

It shouldn't matter. The system only looks at eligible scores.

#959463 - Sat Jan 05 2013 07:55 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Midget, strange. I had several of these challenges, with various games I'm both good and bad at and all of them hit the 5-6 play range. Could it be you normally don't play your lower-scoring topics much (if at all) in Expert? That would explain the discrepancy - if you only play your better games, the system would see a high average which you then can't maintain if you're forced to play weaker ones to achieve a goal.

#959478 - Sat Jan 05 2013 11:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
sb22705 Offline
Participant

Loc: Colorado USA
No really a bug but my difficult challenge today was to have the best score of 4 tries in the expert game and my opponent was someone who just signed up today as a member. He/she hasn't even played one quiz. Obviously I got my challenge but it was weird - really didn't feel like I earned it. Still overall I am really enjoying these daily challenges.

#959484 - Sun Jan 06 2013 12:38 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
The person-vs.-person challenges can go both ways, too, not just low level player pitted against high levels in Expert or Nemesis. I got paired with a lower level person in Twin, and had to finish it myself...and once got the Expert (and/or Nemesis) one with a 100+ level player. So overall, it's fine.

#959622 - Mon Jan 07 2013 10:05 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
resubmitted

Edited by ssabreman (Mon Jan 07 2013 06:30 PM)

#959639 - Mon Jan 07 2013 12:07 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"By doing so, you promise to try to make your best effort to return to play your daily challenge as long as you are not eliminated. This tournament will last 1 to 4 days. It starts tomorrow!"

This is from the sign up page for the Knockout Game. To avoid confusion with the Daily Challenge that is now on site, may I suggest the wording on the Knockout page be changed to daily appointment?
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#959641 - Mon Jan 07 2013 12:10 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: mehaul
"By doing so, you promise to try to make your best effort to return to play your daily challenge as long as you are not eliminated. This tournament will last 1 to 4 days. It starts tomorrow!"

This is from the sign up page for the Knockout Game. To avoid confusion with the Daily Challenge that is now on site, may I suggest the wording on the Knockout page be changed to daily appointment?

Strikes me as being fine as is...not to mention, "daily appointment" reminds me of a visit to a dentist, for some reason. laugh If anything needs to be changed, why not just say "daily Knockout Game"?

#959646 - Mon Jan 07 2013 12:27 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I think it does need rewording. When I read his post, I misread it as meaning the Daily Challenges as well. Perhaps rewording as "return to play your Knockout Round". or something similar as Mariamir said.

But I agree, daily appointment makes it seem dentisty, not so much gamey.

#959649 - Mon Jan 07 2013 12:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I don't think 'appointment' is the right word for it. Like Mariamir, it reminds me of something I don't want to go to, but have to because I'm booked for it.

#959656 - Mon Jan 07 2013 02:13 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Reworded

#959664 - Mon Jan 07 2013 03:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Terry - could it be that something is making the random generator clump far more than it should when putting out a lot of numbers quickly? I so often see clumped questions (2 or even 3 from the same quiz next to each other in a single 15-Q Obscure) and now this, as part of a difficult "quiz list" challenge:

[...]
Pop Hits - Which Decade?III, by musicmonkeyman
The British Experience, by musicmonkeyman
The British Experience. Part Two, by musicmonkeyman
Short, Sweet and to the Point - 4, by linkan
Hufflepuff House, by Skittlez7
End to End, by musicmonkeyman
[...]

A player with 149 quizzes and I'm getting four of them in a "20 from 114,000" lottery, including two from a series of six right next to each other - looks a bit clumpy to me.

It's not an isolated thing either - I rather often see author or subcategory clumps in challenge lists. (3/12 in an all-category list about the same, semi-popular movie, etc.)

Maybe you could make it so that no two quizzes (or questions, in case of hourly/daily games) can come from the same subcat? That should most certainly break any clumps when the random is stuck on something.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Mon Jan 07 2013 03:33 PM)

#959673 - Mon Jan 07 2013 05:42 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
ASA Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide
  SA Australia   
"How well can you string together successes? Play any five tough or difficult 10-question player quizzes in a row, achieving scores of at least 7 on each."

Does this to be reworded to say quizzes you have not played before or in last 30 days.

Also would I be allowed to do my own quizzes?

#959675 - Mon Jan 07 2013 05:46 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: ASA]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: ASA
"How well can you string together successes? Play any five tough or difficult 10-question player quizzes in a row, achieving scores of at least 7 on each."

You can not play your own quizzes. The same goes for all Daily Challenges.

#959677 - Mon Jan 07 2013 05:54 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Wes, it depends on the game. Obscure actually extracts questions randomly from a small chunk of the database each game, so it will tend to clump up.

Obscure is quite out of date anyway... I think we have enough "single" questions now to use those instead of the quiz database, which should give that game a lot better variety.

As for the "20 from 114,000", it's actually a lot smaller than that, because I toss out most of the obscure or unpopular stuff so that it serves up relevant quizzes. So, the quiz pool is actually pretty small for a lot of those, and you'll usually find some of our better, years-old authors own most of those quizzes.. i.e. musicmonkeyman.

#959691 - Mon Jan 07 2013 06:29 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: ssabreman]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Looks like this was overlooked. When I click on Your Daily Challenges, I see a couple of typos that may need attention.

Welcome to FunTrivia Daily Challenges! Each day you will get 3 new challenges -- give them a shot if you want to challenge yourself.

Don't worry if you can't or don't want to complete all of them. Some are easy and some are designed to be incredibly difficult. Some will be in areas you are comfortable with, and some may be in areas you have no interest in. space There's always tomorrow! If you encounter a challenge that appears to be broken or any other bug, please report it here . (period missing)

Edited by ssabreman (Mon Jan 07 2013 06:31 PM)

Page 60 of 91 < 1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Terry