Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 44 of 90 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 89 90 >
Topic Options
#917566 - Wed Nov 14 2012 06:12 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: sisterseagull]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
You have to go to the Buzz to see quizzes online in their first 20 minutes. They only appear on the homepage after the 20 minutes for the Early Bird badge have passed.

#917569 - Wed Nov 14 2012 06:51 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: reeshy]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
I'm not sure if this has been addressed earlier - sorry but didn't have the heart to go through 30+ pages of notes - yesterday had the Who's the Expert challenge. My opponent played one game with a score of 1456 early in the day which I matched during the last round of Expert before the challenges reset.

I seem to have won the challenge though which might be a little unfair as I would have expected the person who got the identical score first would have taken it. Or, perhaps we should have both succeeded in the challenge because it was a tie? Can anyone clarify please? Thanks!

#917572 - Wed Nov 14 2012 07:11 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Terry, could the wording of the "play a new quiz" challenge be changed so that players know where to look for them?

#917583 - Wed Nov 14 2012 08:05 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: sisterseagull]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
You're going to need to keep checking The Buzz. The newly-online quizzes won't update on the main list until after the twenty minutes have passed. The only way to find them is as they appear on the Buzz listing.

http://www.funtrivia.com/thebuzz.cfm

#917599 - Wed Nov 14 2012 10:16 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Part of the fascination of the daily challenges to me is being forced to explore aspects of the site I had never visited (or not for so long that I had forgotten about them). When it's not clear how to accomplish a particular challenge, that's when I can actually learn something new in the process.

#917602 - Wed Nov 14 2012 10:50 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Barbarini
I'm not sure if this has been addressed earlier - sorry but didn't have the heart to go through 30+ pages of notes - yesterday had the Who's the Expert challenge. My opponent played one game with a score of 1456 early in the day which I matched during the last round of Expert before the challenges reset.

I seem to have won the challenge though which might be a little unfair as I would have expected the person who got the identical score first would have taken it. Or, perhaps we should have both succeeded in the challenge because it was a tie? Can anyone clarify please? Thanks!

In the event if ties, definitely in Nemesis and I assume in Expert as well, the winner is chosen randomly.

#917623 - Thu Nov 15 2012 02:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Westmorland UK
One of my challenges today is to "end today as one of your team's heroes in the Team Hero game."

Please could someone tell me if that means five people in our (small) team have to play for the score to count.

#917641 - Thu Nov 15 2012 03:44 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Lottie1001]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
No, you just have to be one of the top five. If you are worried about getting five scores for the team, that's an easy challenge! On my team, it's a really tough one.

It is only the Team vs Team game that awards no point unless a minimum of players participate.

#917643 - Thu Nov 15 2012 03:50 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Westmorland UK
Thanks, looney.

#917686 - Thu Nov 15 2012 08:55 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
Originally Posted By: Barbarini

In the event if ties, definitely in Nemesis and I assume in Expert as well, the winner is chosen randomly.

Perhaps Terry can clarify if you're not certain. It would be a quick fix to give it to the first one to achieve the score...it needn't be random as all the scores are logged. Since the majority of games are predicated on whoever gets the tie first, wins, it's much more fair.

#917688 - Thu Nov 15 2012 09:08 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
I played the expert challenge recently where we both tied for score. I won it, and had played first. So together with your experience, it would seem the winner is picked at random.

#917692 - Thu Nov 15 2012 09:48 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
If the challenge is to be the high scorer and there is a tie, doesn't that mean there was no high scorer and neither should be awarded a challenge complete?
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#917695 - Thu Nov 15 2012 10:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
If the challenge is to be the high scorer and there is a tie, doesn't that mean there was no high scorer and neither should be awarded a challenge complete?

All other games on the site reward it to the first to complete the task (except Knockout, where the win goes to the player listed first in the bracket). Should only encourage people to score higher; sometimes it's bad luck.

#917711 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:09 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: CellarDoor]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: CellarDoor
My medium challenge is
Quote:
Play any four average, tough, or difficult 10-question player quizzes in a row, achieving scores of at least 8 on each.

So far, so good, but it's showing credit for this quiz, which has a difficulty rating of easy. It looks like either the text or the code to check difficulty rating needs some help. Not that I mind having credit...

Yes, that challenge has a little "wiggle room" on difficulty levels since it's possible your play of the quiz may change the difficulty level.

A little like Shroedinger's cat wink

#917714 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:12 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: malik24]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: malik24
Today I was asked to "Play top rated quiz X and get at least 7/10 questions correct."

It was ranked in the 90k range. In the nicest possible way, I don't think that counts as a top rated quiz. Just thought I'd mention incase the selection algorithm messed up or something. If it was intended, nevermind. smile

Thanks, fixed.

#917716 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:13 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Ties in the Crystal Ball are settled (random assignment) like how the outcome of this Nemisis or Expert challenge is being described (ties in KO are assigned by top seeding, which is not like this situation at all). I still see no rebuttal to the fact of no one being top scorer in the case of a tie being a fact of logic. Not all challenge attempts have to result in success (many challenges go unmet). Sometimes your best effort just isn't enough. Sometimes your best just makes you as good as and not better than your competition.
In testing you may have come to other conclusions but now that the system is out here to be played, some changes are inevitable in light of other opinions, some not, which is fair.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#917723 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:21 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: guitargoddess]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: guitargoddess
My own Easy challenge today was:
Quote:
Score at least 8 questions correct in any Humanities quiz.

As mehaul says, the word 'category' is not in there, however the word 'Humanities' is actually a link to the Humanities subcategory where there are no mixed quizbot games to be found. I'm willing to bet that the challenge to play any Animals quiz also linked to the Animals subcat.

Is it possible to word this more specifically? Sure it is. But is it really all that confusingly vague? I don't think so, it takes you right to where you need to find a quiz to play.

I agree. I don't understand mehaul's confusion on this one. The challenge has a LINK to where you're supposed to go to find your Animal quiz right in it.

I added the word "category" to the end of this challenge.

#917730 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:25 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: abechstein]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: abechstein
My Easy challenge for today: "Find and play any quiz whose title starts with the letters "Po"."

I played the quiz "Pot Pourri of European Countries" and was not awarded credit. This is the link: http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Geography/-Pot-Pourri-of-European-Countries-120600.html

Looking at the link, it seems the problem might be the initial "-", but that character is not displayed in the quiz title itself.

Bug fixed. Leading spaces now ignored in quiz titles.

#917733 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:29 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: rossian]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: rossian
I know that 'random' means just that, but I'm still waiting to see my first Epic, let alone get a Double Flag chance. Even doing the 'ten in a day' didn't produce one. Is there any sort of percentage, or have I just been unlucky? My guesstimate is that I've bought 25 - 30 challenges since the game started.

Unfortunately just unlucky. It's a total roll of the die.

#917738 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:31 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: Starlord
Well I've ;learnt a lesson today if you have to do the challege Play a new player-authored quiz within 20 minutes of it going online, don't use the home page New Quiizes to learn when they have gone online as often they don't appear until after the twenty minutes is up. I was doing the "Australian" quiz yet the "I Spy something" quiz allegedly put on at the same time didn't appear until 21 minutes.

Correct, parts of the homepage is updated only periodically -- the challenge provides a direct link to the "New quizzes" listing, which does update immediately.

#917740 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:32 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
The point with the doubles is that they are completely optional. The requirements for them are set extremely high and we don't want any players to feel they *have* to get them. With the random assignment of epics, it can be many years until you even get a chance to try for all of them, much less complete them. We didn't want to add something like that to the list of things people feel they need to achieve for a "complete" set. On the other hand, the doubles give you something to shoot for if you receive a "wrong" epic (one you already won) while you chase the regular set of eight, so you don't actually feel like you received a completely wasted epic.

This is also why they're replacing the originals. If you get a double, you're getting a visual credit for a special achievement above and beyond the requirements, but they're not actually considered an extra badgelet, just a visual upgrade of the one you already won.

(This was indeed the secret project during testing by the way. Now that people know they're there, there's no reason to deny it.)

Good explanation Wesley... mind adding that to the FAQ now that they're out of the bag?

I think it's important that people feel less than no pressure to complete those. They're designed over over-achievers smile Many of them are incredibly difficult.

Edited by Terry (Thu Nov 15 2012 11:32 AM)

#917752 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:47 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: rossian]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: rossian
Having reported my lack of Epic challenges, I've now had two in two days. Definitely worth waiting for, and I managed to achieve both, one relatively easily and the other via some hard work. I hope I don't have to wait too long for the next one to turn up.

Glad to hear you had some better luck smile I guess statistically speaking, someone out there could play for the rest of their life and never get an epic!

#917761 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:57 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: agony]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: agony
Terry, could the wording of the "play a new quiz" challenge be changed so that players know where to look for them?

Done. I would have thought that the link would have been enough, but apparently not. It is spelled out clearly now.

#917766 - Thu Nov 15 2012 12:02 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
No, you just have to be one of the top five. If you are worried about getting five scores for the team, that's an easy challenge! On my team, it's a really tough one.

It is only the Team vs Team game that awards no point unless a minimum of players participate.

Clarified in challenge text.

#917869 - Thu Nov 15 2012 07:06 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: mehaul

Or both could win the challenge - a magnanimous gesture on the part of the quizmaster for the efforts we expend to play but I'm fine with either/or. The random thing doesn't seem quite as fair as it should. Terry? Your clarification would be much appreciated.

Page 44 of 90 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 89 90 >

Moderator:  Terry