Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 81 of 92 < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 91 92 >
Topic Options
#996316 - Sat Jul 13 2013 12:09 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
ga_jam831 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Warner Robins Georgia USA     
Can I use the mulligan for the expert game in order to basically get 5 tries instead of 4 in the head to head competition?

#996347 - Sat Jul 13 2013 12:55 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
No, you can't. The mulligan counts as one of the four tries. However, your original score will remain as one of your four tries, unlike in the actual game in which only the second try counts.

#996411 - Sun Jul 14 2013 12:10 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
ga_jam831 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Warner Robins Georgia USA     
I had figured that. I wasn't really thinking of trying it. I was thinking about perks since looking at upcoming categories is a perk. Made me curious as to whether there was a loophole. I only played 2 games anyway.

#996452 - Sun Jul 14 2013 12:57 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

For my difficult challenge, I had to get a certain number of points playing quizzes in Quiz Game mode. The quizzes couldn't have been played within the last 30 days.
I took the "Creating a Sci/Tech Quiz" today, but it didn't count. According to the "Most Recent Scores" data on the answer page, the last time I took the quiz was on May 22 at 11:37, more than 30 days ago.
I remember bringing this up before; however, the topic seemed to have been dropped without providing an answer. I was told to do something relating to "My Recent Quiz Scores" but since I wasn't a gold member then, I couldn't get access to it. Now, that I am a gold member, I do have access to it, but the quizzes only go back to July 12, so that doesn't help me.

#996642 - Mon Jul 15 2013 12:01 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
One of the easiest ways to check if you played a quiz within thirty days or longer ago, is to adjust your internet settings. In the control panel, go to internet options. The first tab (General) has some divisions, among others "Browse History". Select the button "Settings" and click on the second tab. There you can enter the number of days your browse history is remembered.

In my case, a quiz taken within thirty days (and thus within the browse history) shows the title in purple, while others show the title in blue. Colours can differ, according to the colour scheme selected.

#996651 - Mon Jul 15 2013 12:50 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I've heard of people mentioning this before, but I never knew how it could be done. Not sure if I'm planning to do that, but even if I do, what you said doesn't work for me.
I would like to point out that I know for a fact I hadn't taken my quiz within the past 30 days, since it didn't show up in the "Most Recent Scores" data on the answer page.

Edited by Buddy1 (Mon Jul 15 2013 12:55 PM)

#996860 - Tue Jul 16 2013 01:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Belgium
I'm not sure, but I think the "most recent scores" mention only the FIRST time you take a quiz.

After all, retaking a quiz doesn't allow you to get the normal points per correct answer, neither to give a rating that will be taken into account.

The fiddling with the internet settings will keep track of the LAST time you visited a page. Even retaking a quiz would alter the text colour for 30 days.

#997521 - Sat Jul 20 2013 04:06 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
My difficult challenge today is to play four games of "Who's the Expert" against an opponent. Only problem is, I still haven't been given an opponent.

#997524 - Sat Jul 20 2013 04:27 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
That was quick! I've got one, thank you smile

#997536 - Sat Jul 20 2013 07:35 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Sometimes, it takes a while to get a twin/nemesis/opponent. It's happened to me a couple of times before.

#997574 - Sun Jul 21 2013 08:44 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: JanIQ]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: JanIQ
I'm not sure, but I think the "most recent scores" mention only the FIRST time you take a quiz.

I accidentally took a quiz the other day that I had taken within the last 30 days (thus spoiling a Daily Challenge which is why I remember this).

You are right; it doesn't appear in my 'most recent scores list'.

But that challenge didn't mention that I was allowed to play quizzes already taken. Today's one says I am allowed to take quizzes already taken - and my re-taken quizzes today appear on my 'most recent' list.

So I guess it depends on the challenge.

Quote:
After all, retaking a quiz doesn't allow you to get the normal points per correct answer, neither to give a rating that will be taken into account.

(But...Your rating will count if it's the first time you've rated it, even if it's not the first time you've played it. I hope. :))

Edited by Chavs (Sun Jul 21 2013 08:47 AM)

#997577 - Sun Jul 21 2013 10:04 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: happy faced kitty

During Terry's construction of a Flash format replacement, I played Q#217 ("Radiology") several (more than 3) times and after each play my visit was recorded among the most recent plays. None were ignored.

#997713 - Mon Jul 22 2013 08:58 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: JanIQ]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: JanIQ

The fiddling with the internet settings will keep track of the LAST time you visited a page. Even retaking a quiz would alter the text colour for 30 days.

I've seen my name listed on the most recent scores list that appears in the quiz history itself (not my most recent scores list) more than once when I replay a quiz, even though the only score that "counts" is the first one.

I think checking the scores on a quiz page might work for checking when one played a quiz last, as long as it isn't played too frequently by other players for the relevant plays to show up anymore.

Edited by shuehorn (Mon Jul 22 2013 08:59 AM)

#997749 - Mon Jul 22 2013 11:05 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Belgium
I thought this combination was not valid.

My medium challenge for today: play and get credit for 3 quizzes of the hour.

My difficult challenge for today: play and get credit for 6 quizzes of the hour.

#997762 - Mon Jul 22 2013 12:33 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

That's synergy. That's allowed. smile

Contradicting tasks are forbidden. (Playing a daily game in two different modes, for example.)

#997764 - Mon Jul 22 2013 12:42 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I once got all three challenges related to different requirements in playing the same daily game (Mind Melt, I think) - one good game, three challenges completed. The easiest one just required playing, the other two required particular scores. Sometimes you get lucky.

#998169 - Tue Jul 23 2013 06:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
My Easy Challenge today was:

Play any two 10-question player quizzes in a row, achieving scores of at least 8 on each.

Well I played several quizzes. Only three of them were 8/10, and none of them were in a row, but it gave me credit for completing the Challenge when I checked just now.

(I can send the quizzes in a PM if necessary.)

#998198 - Wed Jul 24 2013 03:38 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Medium: Play 12 quizzes in sub-category Fantasy and score at least 6 correct in each.

Link to Fantasy brings me here - http://www.funtrivia.com/ql.cfm?cat=8808 (Fantasy) but the vast majority of quizzes are located in other sub-categories and therefore do not count as fantasy for this challenge.

Wondering if this an oversight, and with such a limited selection if Fantasy should be included in this challenge's rotation? But perhaps it was meant to be so limited.

A difficult obscure challenge to complete without Fantasy's best known works - Pratchett, Tolkien, Narnia, Pullman etc. Especially if, like me, you are not a fantasy fan anyway.

#998199 - Wed Jul 24 2013 04:49 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
If you look carefully among the quizzes in that subcategory, which is for Fantasy quizzes that are not about the work of any single author, you will find some quizzes that cover familiar favorites, just not individually. The quizzes that show up on the front page (not within any of the more esoteric subcategories) include a number of very playable quizzes. There are 43 of them, as well as the more obscure categories, so you really should be able to find something that you can use.

Edited to add: For example, there are at least three comparing Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, among other options. It's not as if you need to choose quizzes on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, although that gives you another 11 options.

Edited by looney_tunes (Wed Jul 24 2013 04:53 AM)

#998203 - Wed Jul 24 2013 05:08 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Thanks, looney, but I've already done that and completed the task; am not having a moan, but incidentally - no, they are not very playable at all* if you don't read fantasy books! smile

My intention is to flag this as a possible unintentional unsuitable match of sub-category and challenge. If it's meant to be this obscure/limited, then so be it.

*29 of the 43 are rated as difficult or harder, leaving 14 quizzes rated as average or easier. Of the other 37 more niche quizzes, only 12 are rated average or easier. These are difficulty ratings from people who presumably actually read the stuff and watch the films!

Edited by Chavs (Wed Jul 24 2013 05:31 AM)

#999046 - Mon Jul 29 2013 12:36 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
My 'Easy' challenge for today is to play one of two specified quizzes. One of them is my own, though, and it didn't count (I tried!), limiting me to only one. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen, so thought I'd mention it. I scored enough on the other one, so it's not a problem, but maybe the filter needs adjusting, Terry?

#999167 - Mon Jul 29 2013 12:12 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I just experienced an interesting glitch:

My Difficult challenge today was: "Dominate the global challenge! Collect at least 13504 points playing Global Challenge games today."

I'm not playing GC this time round, so to complete the challenge I was starting at Level 1 and scored around 7,850 points in the morning session.

As soon as the changeover happened (a few minutes ago) I was ready to do the evening GC session, when I realised I'd just been awarded the challenge!

Nice one for me - even though I was still nearly 6,000 points short! smile

#999183 - Mon Jul 29 2013 02:54 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I don't know about the Daily Challenge part of your post but the Global runs from noon to noon, I thought (since it started at noon), and not a regular day interval of midnight to midnight. But your gaining a Daily completion would indicate you'd played some GC yesterday (last night) yet your post implies you haven't played.

I'd wonder if playing the Brain Twist both days figured into your score?

#999190 - Mon Jul 29 2013 03:25 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Global Challenges run in two sets: one from midnight to noon and the other from noon to midnight. Daily Challenges run daily: from midnight to midnight. Therefore, the first Global Challenge that will count for your Daily Challenges is the first set: the one that runs from midnight to noon, not the one from the previous day than ran from noon to midnight.

#999217 - Mon Jul 29 2013 05:07 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Yes, when I said I played the 'morning session' I was referring to my local time - it was the midnight-noon GC session in FT time.

Either way, I achieved the Difficult challenge after playing only one GC session and coming up nearly 6,000 points short. Prior to that I'd only played Brain Twist (which doesn't count towards a GC points tally), and occasionally - but not recently - a few Impossible rounds. So it was definitely some kind of system error.

I've since played the second GC set today and scored more than the balance of points required by the challenge ... so I would have got it legitimately anyway. smilee

Page 81 of 92 < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 91 92 >

Moderator:  Terry