Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 36 of 93 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
#832656 - Thu Oct 18 2012 09:05 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Julia103]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
ah, thanks : )

#832724 - Fri Oct 19 2012 04:06 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: gracie3]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
Originally Posted By: gracie3
Play a new quiz within 20 minutes of it coming online.....it's been hours and hours since one has been on....this challenge is ridiculous.

Morally speaking, how do I stand if, as an Editor, I get this tricky challenge one day, and then put a quiz online. Should I then play that quiz, knowing it is there, and win the challenge? tongue

By putting the quiz online, I'd be doing everyone a favour (especially if I do it at a time when there hasn't been a new one for hours and hours) but should I take advantage of it myself?

What would you do? wink

#832725 - Fri Oct 19 2012 04:41 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: stedman]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
I was under the impression that editors couldn't play quizzes they put online within 20 minutes. Am I wrong?

#832726 - Fri Oct 19 2012 04:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: stedman]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Originally Posted By: stedman

Morally speaking, how do I stand if, as an Editor, I get this tricky challenge one day, and then put a quiz online. Should I then play that quiz, knowing it is there, and win the challenge? tongue

By putting the quiz online, I'd be doing everyone a favour (especially if I do it at a time when there hasn't been a new one for hours and hours) but should I take advantage of it myself?

What would you do? wink

As another Editor, I would not go near it. smile I make it a point of not playing any quiz that I have put online for several months after the event.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#832727 - Fri Oct 19 2012 04:43 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: stedman]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I try never to play quizzes I have edited for at least a week - playing it when I have just seen the answers seems like cheating. wink

My problem with the challenge and the demands for a constant flow of new quizzes is that sometimes I can edit half a dozen quizzes without finding one that is ready to go online. I don't want to place a quiz that isn't really up to our standards online, yet also feel guilty about possibly depriving players of a chance to achieve their challenge. On a bad day, I can edit for a two-hour stretch without putting anything online. frown

#832729 - Fri Oct 19 2012 05:41 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
My problem with the challenge and the demands for a constant flow of new quizzes is that sometimes I can edit half a dozen quizzes without finding one that is ready to go online. I don't want to place a quiz that isn't really up to our standards online, yet also feel guilty about possibly depriving players of a chance to achieve their challenge. On a bad day, I can edit for a two-hour stretch without putting anything online. frown

The other day I went into the three categories I edit. There was one quiz between the three, and that quiz already had an editor working on it. We'd love to churn out quizzes at a schedule to suit everyone but it's really not feasible. I suppose the irregularity of it is part of the challenge. If a quiz went online every two hours on the dot there wouldn't be a challenge. smile

As for playing a quiz I'd just put online, it wouldn't feel right. The thought of letting certain people know that I'd just put a quiz online flashed through my head but I quickly dismissed the idea. I'd feel bad every time I thought about it. It's only a game and there'll be more challenges tomorrow. smile

#832730 - Fri Oct 19 2012 07:20 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Tizzabelle]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Same here, on the day I had that "play a new quiz within the first 20 minutes" challenge, for several hours I was the only one who'd put quizzes online, but I didn't use those ones to complete the challenge. Just wouldn't have felt right.

Quote:
I was under the impression that editors couldn't play quizzes they put online within 20 minutes. Am I wrong?

As far as I know, we CAN, same as any other player, but I would think most if not all of us don't.

#832739 - Fri Oct 19 2012 07:29 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: guitargoddess]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Of course, ethically it would make sense not to play a quiz you had put on line.

But also remember that more than one person can play the quiz and receive the credits for it. I played a quiz after dsimpy had already "won the earlybird badge" on it but as I was still within the 20 minute deadline I got the credits for it, just not the badge.

Thanks swami, kaddarsgirl and flopsy. smile
I can't swear I was the first to get that badgelet though. I try not to peek too much at lists so that everything will be a surprise to me but I think I saw a "II" after one of the badges before mine. I may have been hallucinating as I am still quite traumatised, naturally.

#832746 - Fri Oct 19 2012 07:47 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Since there is no competition between players in the Challenges and in regards to having an insider info track on a new quiz coming online, it would seem no one is hurt by an editor playing it. The idea of knowing the answers is true but don't we all run into quizzes we know the answers to on our own every once in a while? Like Chavs stated, the quiz is still available for others to play which means the title of the player is not an issue. (That Earlybird badge is a different story and editors should be unable to play until that aspect of a newly launched quiz is past. IMHO)

#832747 - Fri Oct 19 2012 08:03 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: mehaul
Since there is no competition between players in the Challenges and in regards to having an insider info track on a new quiz coming online, it would seem no one is hurt by an editor playing it. The idea of knowing the answers is true but don't we all run into quizzes we know the answers to on our own every once in a while? Like Chavs stated, the quiz is still available for others to play which means the title of the player is not an issue. (That Earlybird badge is a different story and editors should be unable to play until that aspect of a newly launched quiz is past. IMHO)

The Daily Challenge, as I recall, can also be won with a score of 9, so it's quite possible for anyone to play it, win the challenge, and keep Early Bird free. Ethically speaking, though, I agree with the editors. I don't think they should be playing quizzes they themselves just put online.

#832748 - Fri Oct 19 2012 08:05 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
It's true it doesn't ruin the chance for other players, but it seems a bit 'off' for me to be like, 'oh I have the challenge to play a new quiz in the first 20 minutes, I'll go grab a quiz, put it online and play it, and all done' whereas other players who have this challenge don't get to choose when a new quiz goes online. I can put one online at my convenience whereas others may have to wait for hours and that doesn't quite seem fair, does it?

#832758 - Fri Oct 19 2012 09:25 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: guitargoddess]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I'm another editor who wouldn't put a quiz online and play it immediately just so I could complete a challenge. I usually wait long enough to play a quiz that I've forgotten I put it online, let alone remembering answers.

I also won't be "guilted" into putting a quiz that isn't ready online, just to provide a quiz for players who have that challenge. If it isn't ready, it isn't ready.

#832759 - Fri Oct 19 2012 09:36 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: spanishliz]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Editors are free to play quizzes whenever they like, at their own discretion.

#832760 - Fri Oct 19 2012 09:55 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I view it kind of as a conscious decision. If an editor can play a quiz after putting it online and have a clean conscience about it, they can play it immediately. Most I've talked with, though, feel guilty doing that, and do not play those quizzes right away. It's all in how you feel about doing it, I guess.

I, for instance, would feel terrible playing after putting a quiz online (but I'm not an editor, so I play as many as I feel like). wink

#832773 - Fri Oct 19 2012 11:49 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I don't know of a single editor who would play that quiz, even if it "technically" would count as fair play. We don't put our own quizzes online, either, even though we could.

#832875 - Fri Oct 19 2012 06:27 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: agony]
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
After 30 pages of complaints?

My "easy challenge" is to challenge another player to come up with a quiz I title. That's easy enough. However, I am told I cannot do that unless I have authored 10 quizzes.

LOL. I have authored four and am working on my fifth (Evan Williams, thank you).

I don't think it will be "easy" to author 6 quizzes today. I do that at work, not at play.

I still love you, though.

#833023 - Sat Oct 20 2012 11:36 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bitterlyold]
mikey40uf Offline
Participant

Loc: Germany
It's not necessarily a complaint, but I was just awarded the "Ten in a Day" badgelet when I completed my ninth challenge today. My tenth is still on the board waiting for me to get to, and I will do it because I want the points.

#833024 - Sat Oct 20 2012 11:37 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bitterlyold]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Ouch, sounds like a swaperoo. Although perhaps that challenge could be tweaked so that it isn't given to folks with less than 10.

#833031 - Sat Oct 20 2012 12:10 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Jakeroo]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Just looked at the list of Flags completed and saw that Chavs had won both the Orange and the Double Orange flags, but only the double appears on his profile page...does this mean the badgelets evolve when you earn the Epics more than once...?

#833034 - Sat Oct 20 2012 12:54 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bitterlyold]
collybird Offline
Participant

Loc: Angus-Forfarshire Scotland UK 
Originally Posted By: bitterlyold

My "easy challenge" is to challenge another player to come up with a quiz I title. That's easy enough. However, I am told I cannot do that unless I have authored 10 quizzes.

LOL. I have authored four and am working on my fifth (Evan Williams, thank you).

I don't think it will be "easy" to author 6 quizzes today. I do that at work, not at play.

I've got this one today too. Sad face!

#833112 - Sat Oct 20 2012 05:52 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mikey40uf]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: mikey40uf
It's not necessarily a complaint, but I was just awarded the "Ten in a Day" badgelet when I completed my ninth challenge today. My tenth is still on the board waiting for me to get to, and I will do it because I want the points.

Thanks, fixed.

#833113 - Sat Oct 20 2012 05:54 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: collybird]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: collybird
Originally Posted By: bitterlyold

I've got this one today too. Sad face!

Hmmm never thought about that minor issue! I'll disable this one from being issued to anyone else until I can think of a good fix.

#833269 - Sun Oct 21 2012 12:04 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
Whoosh! That is me streaking across Funtrivia to Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" as I pick up the Ten in a Day badgelet and the Daily Adventurer badge simultaneously for coming 1st or 2nd in the hourly Obscurity quiz (Actually came 1st 15/15 in 275 so if I didn't already have the Obscurity badge it would have been 3 in 1). Wahoo! grin

Edited by Starlord (Sun Oct 21 2012 12:07 PM)

#833271 - Sun Oct 21 2012 12:07 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Congratulations!

Now put your clothes back on, FT is a family-friendly site, no streaking allowed. wink

#833272 - Sun Oct 21 2012 12:19 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: flopsymopsy]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
Congratulations!

Now put your clothes back on, FT is a family-friendly site, no streaking allowed. wink

And you say that with your avatar! lol.

Page 36 of 93 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 92 93 >

Moderator:  Terry