Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#632359 - Tue Jun 07 2011 12:58 PM Seeking Cable Company Advice
nycdmc70 Offline
Participant

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Hi all. I've never started a new topic before, so I hope I have done this correctly.

My name is Dawn and this summer I will be moving from NY to a small town in Pennsylvania, called Canadensis, which is located in Monroe County. I am having some trouble deciding on what type of cable package I should get. There isn't much as compared to NYC. There seems to be a local company called Blue Ridge and I'm fairly certain we would be able to get FIOS there, but not yet entirely sure. I'm just wondering if any of you out there live around that area and have any advice and or information that would be helpful in making this decision.

I've read some forums elsewhere, but would always rather hear opinions from "real people" who aren't advertising for anything. If it helps, I'm interested in a "triple play package" with telephone/TV/high speed internet.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer, it would be truly appreciated.

#632506 - Wed Jun 08 2011 03:42 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: nycdmc70]
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands     ...
Hopefully someone will be able to help you.

#632542 - Wed Jun 08 2011 08:54 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: sue943]
nycdmc70 Offline
Participant

Thanks Sue, I'm thinking that with a town that tiny, most people have probably never heard of it, and therefore can't help me. I never even hard of it until about a month ago. laugh

As happy as I am about getting out of the city, there will definitely be some things I miss, like my super speedy internet.

#632550 - Wed Jun 08 2011 10:35 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: nycdmc70]
dg_dave Online   sleepy
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Have you called the company themselves? Most of your larger companies do offer the triple-bundle, but not all do. Since they are a smaller company, it may not be available.

#632554 - Wed Jun 08 2011 11:13 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: dg_dave]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
Have you tried googling Canadensis Pennsylvania cable? I did!

#632570 - Wed Jun 08 2011 11:50 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: dippo]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
If you are really remote, there is an option not many city dwellers are familiar with and that is Satellite delivery and also you can get wifi type hook-ups through the phone system (AT&T)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#632610 - Wed Jun 08 2011 02:54 PM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: dg_dave]
nycdmc70 Offline
Participant

I have tried calling, but the problem is that the area is so rural that they were still using the old rural route addresses instead of actual number addresses, so until I can give the company an exact location, they cannot offer me any guarantee on which services I would be eligible for.

Apparently, they are in the middle of an address overhaul, and all locations that are still using the rural route addresses are going to be receiving physical street addresses.

Thanks for replying smilee

#632619 - Wed Jun 08 2011 03:09 PM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: nycdmc70]
nycdmc70 Offline
Participant

Thank you mehaul and dippo. I have tried googling and calling, and as I mentioned, I did find their cable company, I was just hoping if there was anyone on here who is actually from that area, they might know how the services is. I heard pretty negative things about the service.

Mehaul, you're absolutely right, I did actually come across a bundle that was provided by both Verizon and Direct TV together. I probably should have worded my original post better. I was just hoping to get an idea about how good or bad the service might be from people who might know first hand.

I am on disability, so I am on my computer a lot, and I use it to work from home to help make ends meet, so I'm leery about a service that considers high speed internet to be 1-2 mbps. Currently my internet speed is 25-30 mbps...ahhhh I think that's what I will miss most about the city.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. smilee

#632634 - Wed Jun 08 2011 03:56 PM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: nycdmc70]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York City USA
Is it possible to talk to any of the current residents? Maybe there's a cafe where the local residents hang out. Or maybe you can make friends at a local church. Is there a local newspaper? They might be able to give you an idea... perhaps by phone. If not, can you access the paper on line? You could read back and see if a particular company is getting complaints (try letters to the editor and editorials).

#632716 - Wed Jun 08 2011 09:42 PM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: postcards2go]
klinski_1987 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Check out movearoo.com. It will list all providers in the area for those three services, as well as many others. Also, make sure you know how long the promotional period they give you lasts. If you call back around the end of said period and explain you're considering other options(or what have you) and they'll usually renew the promotion or give you a similar one. You can do so more or less indefinitely. Good luck with signal strength. If nothing else, you can always try 3g with one of the cell phone companies. They are rapidly expanding their data services with the implementation of 4g speeds, although you'll probably only have 3g available which translates to 1.5 to 5 Mbps. Hope this helps smile

#632773 - Thu Jun 09 2011 07:03 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: klinski_1987]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Another source of community information is the local library. They usually have researchers on staff who love to track down answers to questions from many diverse fields. You need to go there to get a card anyway. Might as well inquire about local media info. (And see what computing and internet back-up resources they provide their members.)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#632810 - Thu Jun 09 2011 10:15 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: mehaul]
nycdmc70 Offline
Participant

Thanks again, mehaul and thanks Klinski, both are good ideas. Movearoo.com, sounds great, I have never heard of that site, will head there directly from here.

Mehaul, I'll definitely check out the local library...if I can find one...lol. The problem is, the place is two hours away from where I live now and I don't drive so checking out the local scene ahead of time is a bit difficult.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm so nervous about this. I was born in NY and lived here my entire life, so its a big change. To add to the stress of moving, my daughter is going to be attending college in the fall, and had already applied to NY schools, so even though deep down I feel this move is the best thing for my family, I just wish the opportunity had presented itself a bit sooner. It did practically fall into our laps and very last minute, but everything in me tells me that the opportunity is a "sign" and if I miss it, there may not be another one.

So, thanks to those who replied, every little bit of help or friendly advice I get goes toward relieving some of the stress.

#632851 - Thu Jun 09 2011 03:28 PM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: nycdmc70]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I would advise against using a satellite internet service such as DirectWay or Wildblue, especially for how much you do use the internet. Both are expensive, slow, and put limits on upload and download usage. If you can't get service through a phone line or cable company, I'd suggest what Klinski mentioned with 3g (or 4g) through the cell companies. It'll be faster and depending on signal strength, more reliable than satellite services.

Just as an example, in order to get 1.5 Mbps on WildBlue, you would pay 79.95 a month for 24 months (and I assume much higher after that rate), plus an "equipment lease fee" which is $6 a month. You Have an upper threshold of 17GB of download data and 5gb of upload. If you work from home, that isn't a whole lot (depending on your business).

I currently have DSL which is 1.5 Mbps...and while it's noticeably slower than cable, it isn't *that* bad. You'll notice it right away coming from 20-30 Mbps, but you'd get used to it.

#632873 - Thu Jun 09 2011 04:34 PM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: pyonir]
nycdmc70 Offline
Participant

Thanks for the information. To be honest, I didn't even know there was a such thing as a cap on the up/downloading until I started researching new companies, needless to say I was horrified. As much as I have come to hate NY there are two things here that do seem to be better than most places, and I will miss them both dearly...pizza and internet, not necessarily in that order. smile

#632894 - Thu Jun 09 2011 05:49 PM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: nycdmc70]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
You should be able to get the legal land description either on your mortgage or from your landlord. I think in the states it is called Public Land Survey System Number. That would be enough for them to tell you what services could be available there, if you do not have a street address.

#633044 - Fri Jun 10 2011 11:28 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: agony]
nycdmc70 Offline
Participant

Hi agony. Yes we tried looking at the deed but that didn't help either. This morning someone from the township got back to me and I finally have a street address so things can start moving along finally.

Klinski, I had to let you know something because I just found it so funny. I loved your moveraroo.com suggestion, so I went there and had a look, and I was so impressed with it, thinking "wow this is great, everything can be done through here", so I happily typed in what will be my new zip code, and lo and behold, I get the message back "we do not recognize that zip code"...lol. Perhaps this town is a bit more rural than I thought. Yikes!

#826548 - Tue Sep 25 2012 07:03 AM Re: Seeking Cable Company Advice [Re: nycdmc70]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Good luck smile

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong