Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#971179 - Sat Mar 09 2013 12:44 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
illiniman14 Offline

Loc: Champaign Illinois USA        
Has Zero Hour already been taken off the air then? I was initially intrigued after seeing its premise but the trailers I saw made it seem like some strange conspiracy/Da Vinci Code plot with Nazis and a watch. I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

#971181 - Sat Mar 09 2013 01:36 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: illiniman14]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: illiniman14
Has Zero Hour already been taken off the air then? I was initially intrigued after seeing its premise but the trailers I saw made it seem like some strange conspiracy/Da Vinci Code plot with Nazis and a watch. I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

Unfortunately yes. frown You can get a pretty good synopsis of each episode on Wikipedia. On the last episode aired, the idea that Einstein was involved in the conspiracy was extremely intruiging. I love the way modern TV puts twists on actual people and events of history... I might be the only one though. :P

I'm hoping once ABC airs rest of the episodes during the summer, the TV show will come out on DVD. Alcatraz was a mid-season show and was cancelled last May - and now that is available on DVD as well. Which by the way was another good show.

Another recent great show cancelled was Alphas. It only last two seasons, which is a bummer. Maybe Zero Hour could have replaced it's time slot on that network. *pouts*

#971233 - Sat Mar 09 2013 08:09 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
For next week they have Vegas on Tuesday, a reapeat of the intial episode I think and Golden Boy on Friday again.

There is no doubt Crossing Jordan was great across the board, the back up cast in the medical office is on that same page from the begining, and with the new edition this year or an old flame of Dana Delany's that is another similarity with Crossing Jordan that has been added this year. That is a nice catch L4T, I hadn't put that part together yet, the shake ups have certainly made it much more like Crossing Jordan than it was before, just that Jordan is 20 years older now and tougher.

#971326 - Sat Mar 09 2013 04:39 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

That's very odd! On EW.com they say Golden Boy is doing so well, CBS has decided to keep it on Tuesdays. Vegas will be move to Friday's starting on April 5th. I wonder if it will do better there?! I do like Dennis Quaid, and I hope this show will work for him!

Ah, I didn't know that Body Of Proof was so similar to Crossing Jordan! I heard during the two years it's been on the air, it has had it's highs and lows. Do you think the show is pretty good?

#971475 - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:44 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
It became much more like Crossing Jordan this year than last.

I have enjoyed it, they have a good mix of characters anchored by Dana Delaney. I like the full range of characters, their interaction and minor story line threads that run through the show more than the cases they work on. They give the characters good depth.

I'd rather see Vegas stay on over most other shows, but I can see where having Quaid and Chiklis could make it a costly show to produce, as well Moss being on the show. Nicholas Pileggi is a big name that is also involved behind the scenes

#971623 - Mon Mar 11 2013 03:54 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Well that's good to hear! I haven't give Body Of Proof a chance, but after your review, it does sound pretty intruiging. Isn't Jeri Ryan on that show too? I always thought she was an underrated actress. Her role in the short lived CBS show Shark was fantastic. But James Woods always steals the show. :P

Ah, I can see how that could be a problem. They are big name actors, but it seems like they're doing a good job keeping the show afloat. I guess we will see in May/June if Vegas is renewed for another season or not. smile

#975624 - Tue Apr 02 2013 10:59 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
Golden Boy, Monday Mornings and Elementary are the current 3 shows I look forward to each week, Justified is finishing it's season today but it had been on the list.

The Americans is right up there too and I am only a couple of episodes behind with that right now.

I am really liking Go On too and looking foward to Vegas returning.

Person of Interest has hit a bit of a lull at the moment, The Following is watchable, Body of Proff enjoyable, as is Modern Family and Whitney as well.

Raising Hope finished their season early and was good, I like the 2nd level 80's & 90's TV pop culture jokes on Cougar Town like the episode with Seinfeld references, which also had an Alanis Morrisette bit in it.

Not sure why I am still watching Revolution, but I am and was even indifferent about my dissapointment with the 1st return episode last week.

Walking Dead has been good, I liked Merle being more involved, an intereting , character, and I can't wait for the Governor to be off the show.

Big Bang Theory is starting to run out of steam, but still enjoyable.

CSI is hanging in there, while some episodes seem rehashed a few have been surprising better than expected this season.

The Mentalist is teasing in terms of the Red John thread this year, I was not happy it was a reapeat this last week, I can't wait for an intense finish to the season chasing the shadows of Red John.

#975706 - Tue Apr 02 2013 06:43 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I don't know why I like Cougar Town, but I do. It killed me when they did the kind of "Scrubs" reunion...with some characters from the past show. lol.

I'm going to give Hannibal a shot this week (Thursday night I think). The subject matter intrigues me, but the story has been kind of beat to death. So we'll see.

#975911 - Wed Apr 03 2013 06:19 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
Cougar Town is just entertainment, and even the witty parts like the Scrubs and Seinfeld threads are about other purely entertaining shows. It's like a 20 minute vacation for my brain.

#976571 - Sun Apr 07 2013 02:12 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

In case anyone hasn't seen Hannibal yet, I won't say much. I'll only say that it is far, far darker (and has more gore) than I had imagined. I was thinking a cross between CSI and Criminal Minds...and it's nothing like that. I'm surprised it was ok'ed for network television to be honest.

I liked the first episode...more intrigued than anything.

#976591 - Sun Apr 07 2013 08:18 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
I have Hannibal on DVR and am looking forward to watching it later today if time allows.

I think I know what is bugging me about The Following the most, it's how inept everyone who isn't part of Joe's following has been. Starting with the FBI, especially thier manhunt skills following the farm and when Joe's wife was just taken, then no hacker ever stumbled upon the secret portal and word leaked out over years, to how many visitors were allowed to visit Joe and boldly talk to him about some horrible crimes. It's tough to believe that all the followers were able to control themselves from doing violent things, or at least ever get caught, while waiting for Joe to escape and none ever bragged about being part of this following at some point.

#976600 - Sun Apr 07 2013 10:05 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: BxBarracuda]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: BxBarracuda
I have Hannibal on DVR and am looking forward to watching it later today if time allows.

I think I know what is bugging me about The Following the most, it's how inept everyone who isn't part of Joe's following has been. Starting with the FBI, especially thier manhunt skills following the farm and when Joe's wife was just taken, then no hacker ever stumbled upon the secret portal and word leaked out over years, to how many visitors were allowed to visit Joe and boldly talk to him about some horrible crimes. It's tough to believe that all the followers were able to control themselves from doing violent things, or at least ever get caught, while waiting for Joe to escape and none ever bragged about being part of this following at some point.

Well if all of this were true, The Following would be a very boring show.
These shows are supposed to suspend reality and create a world where anything is possible - in this case a cult following who's been active for almost 10 years and are smarter and diabolical than the FBI ever thought. This is meant for entertainment, not real life experiences. That's the fun part! The chills and spills, twists and turns, and the unexpected for a whole hour. laugh

#976602 - Sun Apr 07 2013 10:10 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: pyonir
In case anyone hasn't seen Hannibal yet, I won't say much. I'll only say that it is far, far darker (and has more gore) than I had imagined. I was thinking a cross between CSI and Criminal Minds...and it's nothing like that. I'm surprised it was ok'ed for network television to be honest.

I liked the first episode...more intrigued than anything.

I absolutely love Hannibal. The creative way Will can recreate crime scenes, and the way his mind works to solve them - is definitely fresh and 21st century thinking.

I'm a horror movie buff and I thought the gore was purposeful and just enough for network TV. I'm used to horror movies with body parts flying everywhere, blood splatter on the walls, as well as the way people are mutilated.
Hannibal is an almost-mini-horror-movie, and I have seen plenty of good reviews for the first episode. Here's to one full season of a new TV show. *crosses fingers*

#976610 - Sun Apr 07 2013 10:26 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
As I have said before I like shows where the two sides are good matches for each other, worthy opponents, this isn't one of those. When the bad guys are inept it makes me just as bothered.

#976729 - Sun Apr 07 2013 08:44 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

The gore was purposeful, that's for sure. I didn't have a problem with it (Dexter is one of my favorite shows, so gore doesn't bother me), I was just surprised the censors let it on network TV. I would expect it on a network like HBO or Showtime, but not NBC. The show is pushing the limits, and I do like that. I, also, do like the unique way they are presenting the case(s) through Will's mind.

(I won't go into my diatribe about how ridiculous the censoring "rules" are for network TV and the 'this gets allowed, but this doesn't' debate)

#977017 - Mon Apr 08 2013 08:58 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
Is this Will more like the one from my by far favorite movie from the series, the first one on film, Manhunter, which was later redone as the book title Red Dragon?

#977229 - Tue Apr 09 2013 09:45 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: BxBarracuda]
scorpion1960 Offline
Participant

Loc: Texas USA
Has anyone here tuned in for "Body of Proof"? It stars Dana Delany as a medical examiner. It is on ABC. It has been really good. I am also big on NCIS, Person of Interest, and my guilty pleasure is Hawaii Five-O.

#977406 - Wed Apr 10 2013 02:34 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Can't help ya with that Bx, I don't remember anything about Red Dragon and have only seen Manhunter once...when I was very young.

#977720 - Thu Apr 11 2013 07:43 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
Oh yeah, Will Graham is the character from the first movie and Crawford was in it too.

This is a much younger version of the two.

Graham originally played by Will Peterson and Crawford was orginally played by Dennis Farina.

I'm glad they picked this one over Norton.

The crime scene breakdown is very similiar and that is a good thing.

On first glance this is a very good earlier look at Graham and Lector.

#977722 - Thu Apr 11 2013 07:44 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
I'm liking Body of Proof, they took some characters I really liked out but the cast is so strong and led well that it doesn't miss a beat.

#977791 - Fri Apr 12 2013 04:22 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

The weird thing about Hannibal is that it's set in present day. It's like a prequel, but modern day.

I will say this, after two episodes I'm blown away by the cinematography and imagery. Fantastic work by the crew on set design as well (like the crime scenes tonight with the mushrooms...just wow). That, alone, makes the show worth watching.

#977807 - Fri Apr 12 2013 06:19 AM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

New York USA     
I have 10 minutes left in first episode, eyes betrayed me twoards the end.

A lot of direct references from the movie, "where is the cat", how he talks himself into the killers mind and what happens if someone startles him out of it, the image of face in freezing water from bottom of sink. The affectations this new actor developed from Petersons portrayal are eerily spot on.

Hannibal is more Bryan Cox than Anthony Hopkins I think , though very thin like a Jeremy Irons than the other two. I for one liked Cox's portayal, though Hopkins was also amazing, the creepy calm which Cox makes the phone call to get Peterson's address still gives me the creeps.

An outstanding use of Thomas Harris's characters, you can feel the respect the creator and writer of this show has for Harris and Michael Mann's visual vision of the book.

Edited by BxBarracuda (Sun Apr 14 2013 10:20 AM)

#979591 - Sat Apr 20 2013 07:19 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

NBC is skipping an episode of Hannibal (Episode 4) because of "disturbing content"...but only pulling it in the US. They are showing the episode elsewhere. Personally, I think that's ridiculous. You are willing to show bodies displayed on deer antlers, glorified blood spatter scenes, a scene where the good Dr is supposedly cutting up human lung for eating...but this is "disturbing". Put a warning on it (like you do for every other episode) and run it. If it's too disturbing people won't watch. OR, if you are going to pull the episode, don't show it elsewhere. Either show it, or not.

More info for anyone interested: http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/nbc-pull...ngs-1200390579/

Edited by pyonir (Sat Apr 20 2013 08:11 PM)

#979597 - Sat Apr 20 2013 09:16 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
There is currently a show produced by A&E,that i am finding very interesting called, 'Bates Motel'. It is set in modern times, but it predates 'Psycho', in that it tells a probable story in how Norman Bates becomes the man he came to be.
The interplay between the actress who plays his mother and the actor who plays Norman is very well done, as well as creepily disturbing.
The people in the town are hiding a very big secret and the man who plays the Sheriff, in another twist is a dead ringer for Anthony Perkins. Awesome. It's a can't miss show for me.

#979746 - Sun Apr 21 2013 04:45 PM Re: New shows 2012 TV season [Re: pyonir]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Sounds interesting George. I think I saw a snippet of an ad for that, but not quite sure. Didn't think it'd be up my alley. I might have to check it out now. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong