Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 12 of 92 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 91 92 >
Topic Options
#827156 - Thu Sep 27 2012 01:12 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Terry
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Yikes-- hope I never get that one. I have maybe one badge attainable within a day and no more.

You won't. It's not given to people over level 100 or so.

I wish I was over level 100 cry

#827157 - Thu Sep 27 2012 01:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl

At the moment I do, too...

But then I might not have been able to test these challenges before more people were added...

And I might be thrust into higher level tournaments and groups...scary! eek

#827160 - Thu Sep 27 2012 01:17 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Mariamir

At the moment I do, too...

But then I might not have been able to test these challenges before more people were added...

And I might be thrust into higher level tournaments and groups...scary! eek

Yeah, I need to stay 75 and under, but only until I get my 6 remaining Expert wins. Then I'm going for Level 100 full speed to get the chance to try those Centurion badges.

#827163 - Thu Sep 27 2012 01:29 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I have to win the Buzzy Bee a SECOND time?! I went through the having to do it once already. Why, again? It also blocks players trying to win it for the first time.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#827164 - Thu Sep 27 2012 01:32 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: cubswin2323]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: cubswin2323
I have to win the Buzzy Bee a SECOND time?! I went through the having to do it once already. Why, again? It also blocks players trying to win it for the first time.

You don't have to do it cubswin, if you don't want to. That's rotten luck though, getting it two days out of four. Do you still have your swap? This would be a good candidate for that if you do...

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Thu Sep 27 2012 01:32 AM)

#827166 - Thu Sep 27 2012 01:41 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

That's rotten luck though, getting it two days out of four.

I got it two days in a row, too. Use my swap the second time because I didn't want to bother about it.

#827175 - Thu Sep 27 2012 01:56 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

"Score at least 25 questions correct in today's Mind Melt - using any mode."

Maybe "Mind Melt" could be a link, too? Not a big deal, but seems odd that other games have links from the challenge page, and some don't, or at least this one doesn't.

Edited by Mariamir (Thu Sep 27 2012 01:56 AM)

#827177 - Thu Sep 27 2012 02:28 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
Originally Posted By: Terry
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Yikes-- hope I never get that one. I have maybe one badge attainable within a day and no more.

You won't. It's not given to people over level 100 or so.

Phew wink

#827178 - Thu Sep 27 2012 02:32 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I can always swap it. I'm already 11/11, and still have my swap left. However, why should a person have to get something they already have that's so many others are also trying to get that's pretty rare? I would be denying others who don't already have it who have been trying for that badge. It brings up the already haves vs. the have nots yet battle which I'm against. It really tilts the scales against the not have yets. I have a real philosophical problem with that. The non badge holders already are struggling to get the badge. Why do we need to make it even harder for them? It just seems wrong to me. It's tilting the playing field in a way towards the elites, and basically screwing the "regular guys". It's against who I am. A social egalitarian. The quest for the Buzzy Bee badge should be an even playing field, and this challenge badly compromises it. It's wrong, and undemocratic.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#827179 - Thu Sep 27 2012 02:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: cubswin2323]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

But the quest for the Buzzy Bee is even...first come first serve. Not everyone gets that challenge at the same time.

I am fine with having it appear more than once, personally.

As to moral views, I'm not quite sure how the Buzzy Bee has to do with that.

Anyhow, that's a long winded way of saying nothing. If there's a problem here, Terry or Wes?

#827182 - Thu Sep 27 2012 02:52 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
My Intermediate challenge two days out of four has been to be one of my team's Heroes. For those of us in a highly competitive team, that is much harder than my theoretically difficult challenges have been. And I imagine that it would be even harder from someone in a large competitive team.

#827183 - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:01 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: Difficult
Play in the Easy or Hard hourly game where the topic is...

Why not use the names of the games from the Home Page listing? Can't be for lack of space. My medium challenge today is about two dozen lines tall. I'm fairly certain the Easy one means the "Piece of Cake" but the other could be "Who's the Smartest?" or "Who's the Expert?" Are they each one of the text links to the challenge game called for? No. Some room for improvement exists on the structure of this one. Responding trial and error will answer your question evades answering the question of why they weren't referenced right in the first place.
The linked text option sounds best because there'd be no confusion to the requirement.

#827187 - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:26 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Terry, I am grabbing a mountain? smile

("You take a peak and notice...")

returning the favor of the scrambled language processor

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Sep 27 2012 03:27 AM)

#827189 - Thu Sep 27 2012 04:11 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: cubswin2323]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
I can always swap it. I'm already 11/11, and still have my swap left. However, why should a person have to get something they already have that's so many others are also trying to get that's pretty rare? I would be denying others who don't already have it who have been trying for that badge. It brings up the already haves vs. the have nots yet battle which I'm against. It really tilts the scales against the not have yets. I have a real philosophical problem with that. The non badge holders already are struggling to get the badge. Why do we need to make it even harder for them? It just seems wrong to me. It's tilting the playing field in a way towards the elites, and basically screwing the "regular guys". It's against who I am. A social egalitarian. The quest for the Buzzy Bee badge should be an even playing field, and this challenge badly compromises it. It's wrong, and undemocratic.

I completely disagree that it's an ethical or democratic problem.

It is a level playing field.

There's no advantage in having already won the badge. There's always going to be more than one person chasing the badge, even without the daily challenge.

In triathlon you play against people who already have the badge. In every game you play, you are playing against people who may not need points or badges and are just playing for Fun. It's just the nature of quizzes.

Edited by Chavs (Thu Sep 27 2012 04:12 AM)

#827190 - Thu Sep 27 2012 04:28 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
One of my challenges today is:

"Score a cumulative total of at least xxx questions correct playing player-created quizzes."

I've just played Brain Twist, and they didn't count; it is clearly a player created quiz, so should it count? Is it a problem with the points not being counted towards daily totals because it awards the Brain Twist reward?

#827191 - Thu Sep 27 2012 04:34 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: flopsymopsy]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I can't have got that in testing or I'd certainly have moaned! Top in Word champions' division is not a challenge, it's impossible. Top three is asking a bit much too, lol.

I've been thinking about this and I agree.

I got put into the Champion's division after winning the monthly badge but I won that in the first month I played, so by no means am I an experienced or champion player.

In that month I came first only a couple of times out of the hundreds I played. In the champions division it would take a miracle as the first player is often in the 30 seconds range and even the first handful of players are often under 45 seconds.

Perhaps it's fairer to put a certain time - 15 right in 45 seconds or less, for example? Still very difficult but at least it's not utterly reliant on a number of champion players just not playing that hour?

#827193 - Thu Sep 27 2012 04:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Chavs, neat idea but not really possible since this is a challenge with a variable part - it is "Win your division in [random hourly game]".

It can't thus be changed just for that one game. However this also means that it should be very rare when it comes to actually asking for Word Wizard - there are over 20 difficult challenges and when you hit it (1/20 chance), you still only have a 1/7 chance to get Word Wizard from it. You should not see it more often than 3 times a year on average even if you play every day and buy as many challenges as you can.

#827195 - Thu Sep 27 2012 04:46 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Originally Posted By: Chavs
I completely disagree that it's an ethical or democratic problem.

It is a level playing field.

There's no advantage in having already won the badge. There's always going to be more than one person chasing the badge, even without the daily challenge.

In triathlon you play against people who already have the badge. In every game you play, you are playing against people who may not need points or badges and are just playing for Fun. It's just the nature of quizzes.

I would actually suspect that this might increase the number of Buzzy Bees won. Many players never tried for this badge in the first place because it's easy to overlook and forget about. Now they get reminded. Also, if a lot of people start chasing this, the frequency of hunts being completed will increase, thus more of them will be started as well (and if that alone won't generate enough hunts, Terry can always decrease the random cooldown after a win so that even more will be created).

#827196 - Thu Sep 27 2012 05:04 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
Chavs, neat idea but not really possible since this is a challenge with a variable part - it is "Win your division in [random hourly game]".

It can't thus be changed just for that one game. However this also means that it should be very rare when it comes to actually asking for Word Wizard - there are over 20 difficult challenges and when you hit it (1/20 chance), you still only have a 1/7 chance to get Word Wizard from it. You should not see it more often than 3 times a year on average even if you play every day and buy as many challenges as you can.

Thanks, Wesley, I appreciate the explanation.

I'm all for difficult challenges that take a few shots to get and I recognise too that that it's much more satisfying to win something you've had to really stretch yourself to get, but I think it's a pity that monthly badges seem to be a double-edged sword in some games! (I'm currently in the running for two of them and wondering if I shouldn't just get out while I can! lol!)

Quote:
I would actually suspect that this might increase the number of Buzzy Bees won.

I think you might be right. I've won a couple of badge/lets (that I wouldn't have dared to aim for) while I've been busy trying for something else.

#827203 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:07 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
7 Done challenge completed badgelet not awarded.

#827211 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:18 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Starlord, you are showing 6 complete, not 7...

#827213 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:21 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
I'm confused (not that it takes much to do that to me ) wink My challenge is "Participate in 8 different types of hourly games today, scoring at least 6 correct in each game."

I have played the following but cannot for the life of me figure out what to play for number 8

Who's the Smartest?
Piece of Cake
Word Wizard
The Mixed Game
Fill Me In
Who's the Expert?
Quiz of the Hour

Can anyone help?

#827220 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:29 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: playmate1111]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
It's answered in the FAQs. Obscurity.

#827227 - Thu Sep 27 2012 07:05 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: Mariamir
But the quest for the Buzzy Bee is even...first come first serve. Not everyone gets that challenge at the same time.

I am fine with having it appear more than once, personally.

As to moral views, I'm not quite sure how the Buzzy Bee has to do with that.

Anyhow, that's a long winded way of saying nothing. If there's a problem here, Terry or Wes?

Mariamir, I agree with you on this one. I don't think there is any problem with it at all.

I got this same challenge yesterday, and I had fun trying (unsuccessfully) to get it. I played a bunch of quizzes on the series LOST and remembered how much I liked it the first time around. No one else was trying for the Bee while I was doing this (late last night) so I don't think the fact that it was for a challenge and not the badge itself hurt anyone. I don't have anything philosophically or otherwise against this challenge. Some days will be hard and others won't. That's the nature of this beast.

#827229 - Thu Sep 27 2012 07:17 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: shuehorn]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
The other day I observed in this thread that no-one should expect to succeed at every single challenge every single day. If you fail at one, then so what? There'll be another one along tomorrow.

If that means it takes you one more day to get whatever badge you are aiming for, then so what? No-one dies, for goodness sake!

Page 12 of 92 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 91 92 >

Moderator:  Terry