Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#828661 - Mon Oct 01 2012 04:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Copago]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Originally Posted By: Copago
Put our garden in a couple weeks ago and so far so good (apart form forgetting to water it this morning oops ). Didn't go all out this year but have lots of tomatoes (8), capsicum, spinach, zuchinni and cucumber.

It's going to be stupid the amount of tomoatoes we will be getting by Christmas! Must start looking for recipes!

Copago, I freeze the tomato glut. No good for salads but excellent for coooking with, pasta sauce, home made soup, anything like that. You can either cook and freeze or freeze them raw, either works really well.

#828679 - Mon Oct 01 2012 06:09 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Make fresh salsa with some of those tomatoes - to die for. Will give anyone a recipe if they want (warning: my recipes are more of a "taste as you go" and throw in whatever you have on hand lol and probably aren't all that accurate except for cookies, cakes and pies - which are more of a science unfortunately).

Living where I do, am jealous of everyone's gardens, sigh.

And mehaul? I have 8 in the freezer already (apple), but I think I'll send you a saskatoon/blueberry/raspberry one along with (you might like it lol). I'd be grateful for some cane sugar. Are the vidalia onions all done now down there? Love those and they're hard to get here.

#829167 - Wed Oct 03 2012 03:09 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
We're looking at a "season ending" cold front tonight so Dad and I covered the tomatoes and peppers today. Picked the raspberries and the last zucchini. I pulled up and picked about half a row of popcorn but we may lose the rest of it. I'll have to see tomorrow.
We dug about a third of the potatoes and all the carrots last weekend. From a row of carrots we got 27lbs. I think I'll pick some peppers tomorrow if it doesn't freeze.

Dad's dog is going to be sad soon. His favorite treat is a ripe tomato. He won't let you out of the garden if you don't have one.

How is the planting/harvesting going where you are?

#829286 - Thu Oct 04 2012 03:46 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
"Dad's dog is going to be sad soon. His favorite treat is a ripe tomato. He won't let you out of the garden if you don't have one."

What a strange dog! Mine loves eggs and not a day goes by where she doesn't get one someway or another.

"Copago, I freeze the tomato glut. No good for salads but excellent for coooking with, pasta sauce, home made soup, anything like that. You can either cook and freeze or freeze them raw, either works really well."

Good thinking!

http://www.tomatodirt.com/freezing-tomatoes.html I found this site which I will study a bit further and see how I go by the end of summer!

I have spinach in (or silverbeet if you prefer) and planted some more seeds. I can barely eat what is already there - god knows why I planted more!!!

#829293 - Thu Oct 04 2012 04:23 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
It is spring here in South Africa and we are fortunate to have an acre of land. We have orange, plum, lemon, fig, naartjies(tangerines), greengage and avocado trees. At the moment we've got spinach coming out of our ears. Coming up are green beans, aubergine, potatoes, onion, leeks, carrots and green peppers. Our patio is where we grow most of our herbs and have cilantro, parsley, thyme, lemon verbena and oreganum. Also on the patio is a huge tub of different varieties of lettuce.

#951563 - Sun Nov 25 2012 04:46 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: playmate1111]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Playmate, what are greengages? The rest sounds like a dream to me.
We haven't had measurable snow or rain. Unless we get a lot of water in the coming months there will be significant water shortages. I talked to Dad and we may not plant the whole garden space if that happens because we couldn't water it all.

#951598 - Sun Nov 25 2012 07:27 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
A greengage is from the plum familly, but smaller (I think). They are not always green, are very delicious especially made into jam.

#952383 - Thu Nov 29 2012 11:08 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Ren.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong