Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 83 of 93 < 1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
#1015247 - Fri Oct 11 2013 12:45 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: halekotsi]
eyhung Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: California USA
Originally Posted By: halekotsi
Not a bug exactly, but I just found out that I missed the Difficult challenge for the day because my 30/97 on Mind Melt _wasn't fast enough_. Good grief.

halekotsi, the difficult challenges for a specific game are curved based on your personal past performance. Since you're such a stud at Mind Melt, 30/97 is not enough for you.

#1015293 - Fri Oct 11 2013 08:05 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
halekotsi Offline
Participant

Loc: South Korea
Yeah, it occurred to me after I posted that it sounded kind of humblebraggy. Sorry to anyone exposed to it.

I suppose I should be flattered that the algorithm expects double digits from me, but I still think the bar shouldn't be set _that_ high, curve or no.

#1015297 - Fri Oct 11 2013 08:38 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
It's looking at your past performances and requiring you to play within the top x% of your scores. Thus it's the same chance to win for everyone. You're just too good!

#1015303 - Fri Oct 11 2013 09:45 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I agree - just too good! It sets the bar too high for me, that's for sure.

#1016477 - Fri Oct 18 2013 03:27 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: rossian]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Not sure why I got the green tick for this Difficult Challenge, as I did not seem to meet the criteria.

Quote:
How well can you string together successes? Play any six tough or difficult 10-question player quizzes in a row, achieving scores of at least 8 on each.
6 in a row found.

Quizzes you have played today, in order:

This is Not the Quiz You're Looking For: Score less than 8

Five Options, Four Answers:

Lie Down on the Couch:

Only Disconnect:

Guess My Location:

It Really Is a Jungle Out There!: Score less than 8

No. 1 Hits of the 70s Vol.5: Score less than 8

Shades of Black: Not the required difficulty

Things That Go Bump: Score less than 8

Baps, Bloomers, Bagels: Not the required difficulty

British Seaside Fractures: Not the required difficulty

A Hop, a Leap, a Skip and a Jump.:

Triple Treat Words #5:

The Springs: Not the required difficulty

100 Facts About Pandas: Score less than 8

Seeking Certain Seaside Settings:

Great British Discoveries: Not the required difficulty

Dinosaurs for Dummies: Score less than 8

My Fantastic Magic Voyage: Not the required difficulty

Mama Always Told Me So: Score less than 8

Naming Foods for Dummies: Score less than 8

He Ate What?: Score less than 8

Who's for Dinner?:

A Group of Animals:

True Blue:

Quoth the Raven: Not the required difficulty

Need Some Change?:

Special Sites to See in South America: Score less than 8

Complete

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1017721 - Sun Oct 27 2013 12:52 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
Ah, I mentioned this on the wrong forum topic.

Today I got a 10-point word in the Mini game of WW. Then, not very long after that, I went to the Daily Challenges. I saw that the first challenge was complete (play two 10-question challenges in a row. The second challenge, though, was not checked complete. It still said "incomplete". That challenge was to score a word of at least three letters.

Since I had already just done that, with my "whippiest", which may still be shown on the "Recent Overachievers". I certainly expected it to be checked complete.

Is there some reason why it wasn't shown as completed?

I'd sure like to know what is going on, for future reference if nothing else.

Thank you!

Lee

#1017728 - Sun Oct 27 2013 12:57 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: habitsowner
Is there some reason why it wasn't shown as completed?

Some challenges count as long as you complete them that day. Others don't - apparently, this includes the Word Wizard one.

Originally Posted By: FAQ
Why does "Play Piece of Cake in X seconds" not score my past tries?
The challenge to play the Piece of Cake game perfectly in a certain time is using a finer granularity of timing than the assignment of game points. However, only game points are stored beyond the hour just past, thus we would be unable to verify older games to see if they were truly played in the required time. Thus, this challenge only looks forward - you need to play your game after getting it.

The difficult Piece of Cake is an example of a challenge that doesn't count activity prior to buying the challenge or viewing the page.

What happens if a challenge looks for a game that I have already played earlier?
In most cases, a daily challenge will consider all of your scores and activity from midnight onwards.

For example, if you have already played "Mind Melt" and later on in the day "purchase" a new challenge which happens to deal with Mind Melt, then your earlier play will be the one that is considered for that challenge.

However, most challenges are retroactive - this included your 2 10-question quizzes in a row.

I'd recommend going to the Daily Challenge at the very start of the day, before you do anything else, just in case you get a challenge that isn't retroactive.

~(_8(I)

#1017757 - Sun Oct 27 2013 03:07 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: AdamM7]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

So, in other words, you're telling me that even though I did the WW Mini the same day that it's asked for in the Challenge, it won't be counted because I did it BEFORE I did the Challenge?

I felt I had to do it before because it was getting low on time and I knew I had just one more letter to get before making a word. I wanted to take advantage of the time so I could possibly do more WW quizzes today that I could if I had gone to the Daily Challenges first.

It would seem to me that all the Challenges should be accepted as long as they are completed the same day. It shouldn't matter if you take the WW or the QuizBots first before you go to the Daily Challenge. Or what if you are late and need to get the morning Global Challenge finished before it changes to the afternoon one. (As I recall there are things pertaining to the GC in the DC.)

Back to my original word. Unfair.

That doesn't seem to be pointed out anywhere that I've read, albeit I may have forgotten it, but I don't think so.

Lee

#1017762 - Sun Oct 27 2013 03:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
You can grab your letter without any risk of missing a Daily Challenge. But you should go there before trading in your letters (since you can do it any time before the deadline for grabbing the next letter, which will be at least an hour).

Going to the Daily Challenges takes a couple of seconds - you don't have to actually read them, just open the page, and they are activated so that any subsequent activity will be counted. But it is a good idea to check them before you do anything other than hourly games, since you may regret having used an inappropriate setting for something.

The GC challenges that I have had refer to accomplishing something once, so if you miss out on it in the morning, you can go for it in the afternoon set.

#1017767 - Sun Oct 27 2013 03:21 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks, Looney_tunes,

I'll make sure I click the DC first thing, even if I don't even look at it.

However, it still seems to me that if one quiz is used retroactively, then all of them should be. Or vice versa, for that matter.

I'm such a creature of habit that I never even thought of doing anything else after getting the 12th letter except go to the Mini game and put in a word. smile Dumb, I know, but true. "Step by step by step".

One of these days, One of these days simply clicking on and the moving off the DC will also be habit.

In the meantime, I don't get the medium DC today.

I can't remember what the GC challenges were, but you could most likely be right in that they could be taken either morning or afternoon. I just know there were some offered, usually for the hard challenge.

Lee

#1017775 - Sun Oct 27 2013 04:11 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: habitsowner]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: habitsowner
However, it still seems to me that if one quiz is used retroactively, then all of them should be. Or vice versa, for that matter.

At least one challenge isn't retroactive because of the way it is coded/the data it uses. I would think that's the same with most, if not all, of the challenges that aren't retroactive.

Why does "Play Piece of Cake in X seconds" not score my past tries?
The challenge to play the Piece of Cake game perfectly in a certain time is using a finer granularity of timing than the assignment of game points. However, only game points are stored beyond the hour just past, thus we would be unable to verify older games to see if they were truly played in the required time. Thus, this challenge only looks forward - you need to play your game after getting it.

~(_8(I)

#1017789 - Sun Oct 27 2013 06:20 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: AdamM7]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Hmmmm....way over my head, but thank you for your help. I finally was able to play enough games today to get at least the four letter word that was required.

Lee

#1018804 - Sat Nov 02 2013 10:32 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
ASA Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide
  SA Australia   
My Daily challenge

"Score a cumulative total of at least 5655 points in the Piece of Cake hourly game today. "

This is a trifle hard when you do not log in until 2 hours before deadline.

#1018805 - Sat Nov 02 2013 10:46 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Multiloquent

That's not a bug in the game, though, just bad timing in collecting the challenge so late in the day.

#1018807 - Sat Nov 02 2013 11:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I think ASA was hoping something could be done about that. Just like no one would get the difficult Global Challenge one (Score X number of points in the Global Challenge where X is over 10,000) if you get a challenge after noon.

#1018870 - Sun Nov 03 2013 07:58 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Professor101 Offline
Participant

Loc: Boca Raton, FL
I took today's Daily Challenge, Difficult level, which required me to score 3770 points by taking quizzes in the Quiz Game mode in each of 4 categories. I complied with all conditions and exceeded that level, but it is showing as Incomplete.

#1018931 - Sun Nov 03 2013 10:48 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Do you have a total of 3,770 points between the four categories or did you get 3,770 points in each of the four categories? The latter is what it wants.

Edited by Buddy1 (Sun Nov 03 2013 10:49 AM)

#1018982 - Sun Nov 03 2013 05:41 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ontario Canada
I just bought a challenge and was given an easy challenge saying to play my Daily Quiz in easy mode and score 8/10. I'd already played and scored 7/10. I thought earlier these challenges were weeded out to not be awarded to players who had already played it. Was that the case?

#1018984 - Sun Nov 03 2013 05:53 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Multiloquent

You won't get one requiring easy mode if you have had an earlier one that day requiring something different. But if you get a challenge after playing, you may be out of luck. That is why I only buy challenges when I can do so early in the day, and know what I am facing.

#1020195 - Mon Nov 11 2013 12:12 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
daBomb619 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Olympia Washington USA       
Is there ANY way to stop the flow of "Play x of the following y quizzes" challenges? I only ask because these sets seem to be almost entirely made up of quizzes I've ALREADY PLAYED. It's especially frustrating because I keep getting the SAME ONES OVER AND OVER AGAIN, which makes it five times as bad. Can it be reprogrammed to remove ones I've already played, or at least have credit for those when I receive the challenge (like in The Ascension Quest, where you get a green check mark next to the title and thereby don't have to play it)?

Edited by daBomb619 (Mon Nov 11 2013 12:17 AM)

#1020203 - Mon Nov 11 2013 01:13 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Do you get credit for playing them again? If so, I think that's fine and how it should work. I appreciate that it might be slightly frustrating to get quizzes you have already played (no need for shouting about this btw) but when you have played over 20000 quizzes, there's always a likelihood that this will happen. I don't know how the quizzes for these challenges are selected but presumably they have to meet certain criteria to be selected and that will limit the pool to a greater or lesser extent.

#1020204 - Mon Nov 11 2013 01:17 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Snowman]
daBomb619 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Olympia Washington USA       
No, I do not get credit for playing them again. If that were true, it might be worth it. And sorry for shouting, but I get really sick of seeing all these purple links (because I've played these quizzes recently) in my Daily Challenges.

#1020205 - Mon Nov 11 2013 01:23 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I know I've played 40,000 quizzes, but it is still frustrating when 100% of quizzes have already been played. You don't get any points for playing the quizzes, besides having the green check appear. It would be nice to get credit for having played it in the past, and you can retake it if it's a red X.

#1021052 - Fri Nov 15 2013 01:44 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

I'm supposed to take the Quiz of the Hour today and get at least 8 correct.

However, what happened to the Quiz of the Hour? It seems to have disappeared from my screen today. I cannot play anything I cannot find.

Has it been moved and I'm just overlooking it?

Thanks for the help!

Lee

#1021054 - Fri Nov 15 2013 01:49 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
froggyx Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
it's gone from mine too

Page 83 of 93 < 1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 92 93 >

Moderator:  Terry