Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#829578 - Fri Oct 05 2012 08:21 AM Abu Hamza to be extradited to US
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        

#829626 - Fri Oct 05 2012 01:45 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: sue943]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Seconded. Beats me why it took so long. I mean it's not as if we didn't want him to go.

I'm glad the defence of illness didn't cut any ice. Perhaps we've had enough of "compassionate grounds" with people like Ernest Saunders, Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, Ronnie Biggs...

' But during the hearing, Sir John observed there were "excellent medical facilities in the United States". '
Yes, I'd heard that too! laugh
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#829640 - Fri Oct 05 2012 02:02 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: lesley153]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Good for him. No other country would have put up with him all these years.

#829735 - Fri Oct 05 2012 05:56 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: sue943]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#829797 - Sat Oct 06 2012 05:41 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: lesley153]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

What had me choking in my tea was that one reason they didn't want to be extradited is because they might end up in a supermax prision and what that entails such as a lot of solitary confinment. Oh what a shame. The saying 'If you can do the time then don't do the crime' sort of fits the bill.

How can terrorists complain about punishment being against their human rights? What about the human rights of the people killed, sure the right to life is a hell of a lot more important than the right to chat to other criminals?

#829799 - Sat Oct 06 2012 06:02 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: sue943]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Originally Posted By: sue943
... What about the human rights of the people killed, sure the right to life is a hell of a lot more important than the right to chat to other criminals?

I guess the relatives of civilians - men, women, children - killed by American drones in Afhanistan and Pakistan feel much the same about their human rights. I'm sure that creating a demon out of one individual with prosthetic limbs (no matter how upsetting or unsavoury his rhetoric might be) is an attractive tabloid proposition, but it doesn't take us very far in understanding the failed politics that have created so much death in the two countries above, Iraq, Palestine and elsewhere.

#829800 - Sat Oct 06 2012 06:17 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: dsimpy]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

And indeed the relatives of the victims of 9/11 but that is not the point of this thread.

#829816 - Sat Oct 06 2012 07:24 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: sue943]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

What is the point then Sue? Selectively demonising one individual who's only a very small part of a massive global problem? This is meant to be Fun Trivia Forums, not the front page of The Sun.

I thought politics were supposed to be out of bounds on the chatboards and Forums because of their potential to cause controversy (as indeed they do). But it appears to be okay so long as the views expressed are pro-British or pro-American (and one or two other) governments.

When you're part of making the rules it seems to me you should keep them.

Edited by dsimpy (Sat Oct 06 2012 07:25 AM)

#829870 - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:17 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: dsimpy]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Quote:
Discussions about news and current events from your neck of the woods and around the world.

It is very much a news item, this person has cost the British taxpayer millions in fighting his extradition and there are a lot of people who are glad that he is finally gone from the UK.

#829888 - Sat Oct 06 2012 11:48 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: sue943]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Dsimpy, do you know why he lost his hands and an eye? Just checking.

Just as a matter of historical record, there used to be a place called Palestine, but it was renamed Israel in 1948.

#829890 - Sat Oct 06 2012 12:07 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: lesley153]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: lesley153
Dsimpy, do you know why he lost his hands and an eye? Just checking.

Just as a matter of historical record, there used to be a place called Palestine, but it was renamed Israel in 1948.

Why or how, Lesley153? Just checking.

Regarding your other comment, it's hard not to have sympathy with the Iranians. (That's a reference to recent events in the news.)

#829893 - Sat Oct 06 2012 12:48 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: dsimpy]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

He was attempting to make a bomb. It went off before he wanted it to.

How did the Iranians get into this? This man has accepted our hospitality and preached against us. He has lived here and taken out money and preached hatred against us. At long last we are getting rid of him. A simple enough concept - so why are you dragging other, completely irrelevant countries into it?

#829904 - Sat Oct 06 2012 04:13 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: lesley153]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Thank you Lesley for bring it back on topic. This will be kept on topic which was purely that at long last he has been extradited. If anything else gets dragged in then the thread will be locked.

Quote:
I thought politics were supposed to be out of bounds on the chatboards and Forums because of their potential to cause controversy (as indeed they do). But it appears to be okay so long as the views expressed are pro-British or pro-American (and one or two other) governments.

When you're part of making the rules it seems to me you should keep them.

Firstly this isn't the chat boards, politics are definitely banned there and they are in the capable hands of Bob. In the forums there is no ban on posting a news item even if it is political, what is banned it deliberately turning, or attempting to turn a thread into a controversial one and to allow it to get heated. Heated gets a thread closed, always has, always will.

Since I have moderated this particular forum since early 2000 I guess that I ought to know by now what is permitted and what isn't.

#829917 - Sat Oct 06 2012 05:27 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: lesley153]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: lesley153
He was attempting to make a bomb. It went off before he wanted it to.

Which, as far as I'm aware, happened during the Russian occupation of Afghanistan - resistance to which, by Western standards, hardly makes him a terrorist. (He may well BE a terrorist, or an inciter to terrorism, but it's interesting that when he lost his hand he was a terrorist to the Russians and a freedom fighter to the Americans and British.)

Charges laid against him in Britain related to incitement, not to killing people. However despicable incitement may be, it's interesting that no British right-wing racist - as far as I recall - has ever been imprisoned for a substantial period for inciting hatred against minorities in Britain. That severity has been reserved for Muslims provoked by the American/British occupation of Arab states, the use of torture to extract information, and long-term detention without charge (internment).

And as to taking the thread off topic, it started with 'And about time too' - which is hardly a very specific comment with which to direct a topic. I deliberately didn't get involved at the start of this thread - it was really when it turned to fairly personalised gloating and undermining the concept of an individual's human rights that it became increasingly difficult to ignore. There's a xenophobia about some of the threads that appear on this Forum from time to time that is, quite honestly, despicable on an international site. Comments from Lesley153 such as 'taken our money and preached hatred against us' only expose her monocultural, mono-ethnic view of British society - actually British society contains Muslims as well as other minorities, and sections of the 'majority' population too, that don't agree with this John Bull 'mother of democracies' nonsense.

So I don't believe I've taken the thread off-topic. Nor have I been the first to make it controversial. But if you thought this would just be a replica of the tabloids' 'sling your hook' jingoism and go unchallenged, think again.

#829923 - Sat Oct 06 2012 06:17 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: dsimpy]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Terrorism is when you hurt someone(s) intending to make other people afraid. Terrorism - done by ANYONE - is not good and terrorists should be put in jail.

Had there not been a 9/11, I'm sure the United States wouldn't have gone into Afghanistan. But because the Taliban was letting Al Qaeda do whatever they wanted, the US - and many other nations - went in to stop Al Qaeda. Now you have people like Abu Hamza who don't care who they hurt and telling people it's ok to go kill civilians and such... those people should be in jail. Intentionally hurting civilians is never the answer - no matter whose 'side' you are on.

As for the Iranians - if you want to talk about that whole can of worms, please start another thread as this is about the extradition of Abu Hamza.

Editor for Television Category

#829928 - Sat Oct 06 2012 07:17 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: dsimpy]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: dsimpy
fairly personalised gloating
Not gloating: relief.

undermining the concept of an individual's human rights
What's that, Hamza's right to live here on benefits while inciting his followers to kill us?

Comments from Lesley153 such as 'taken our money and preached hatred against us' only expose her monocultural, mono-ethnic view of British society
Can you see if you can possibly manage to do this posting thing without making unfounded judgements and wild generalisations about me, please. Thank you so much.

#829955 - Sun Oct 07 2012 12:32 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: lesley153]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Dsimpy is right about the right wing pro American and British view on this forum. The people who post blatant US propaganda or anti climate change propaganda get a free reign. As soon as someone comes in with an opposing view it becomes CONTROVERSIAL and posts dissapear or threats to close down the thread appear. Sue, if you are the one responsible for this, and as Dsimpy says this is an international forum, you should examine your own beliefs and motives.

#829961 - Sun Oct 07 2012 02:16 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: mountaingoat]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
Well let me put my 2 cents worth in. Good riddance!

#829980 - Sun Oct 07 2012 03:56 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: playmate1111]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
Great to see him gone, but we will still be paying Benefits for his Wife and Kids for years to come.

#829982 - Sun Oct 07 2012 04:57 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: pmarney]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

So we couldn't fly them out too? Shame!

Still, with luck, they won't be out on the streets, with money we pay them not to work, screaming death to Britain and the British. Not yet, anyway. When they start, they can join their husband/father.

#829983 - Sun Oct 07 2012 04:59 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: mountaingoat]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: mountaingoat
Dsimpy is right about the right wing pro American and British view on this forum.

That's odd because I've noticed posts from all over the political spectrum. If all you've seen is right-wing sentiment, have another look.

#830011 - Sun Oct 07 2012 08:38 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: lesley153]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I sorta think dsimpy's main intention was to point out that the world is a little more complicated than we believe - and just WHO are we supposed to believe?? lol

The so-called "civilised" nations grant freedom of speech, amongst other things. For instance, in my country, people can rant and rave as loud as they want to about anti-abortion all they want. Of course, when they blow up clinics or murder doctors, that's a different thing altogether. There is a huge difference between "incitement" and "assassination".

Hamza's "story" is really not unlike Bin Laden's. Once a "friend", now a "foe", mostly due to changing world politics. Did everyone forget the Contra "affair"? lol. And while Britain may be glad that he's gone from their country, he just becomes someone else's financial burden - nothing of real importance is solved in the long run.

#830019 - Sun Oct 07 2012 09:37 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: Jakeroo]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
I see that our (the British) government placed conditions on Hamza's extradition such that he and the others would only go on the proviso that he wouldn't face the death sentence. We seem to have previous for this sort of 'appeasement' and look where that got the world.

I won't post my feelings here about Hamza and his ilk as, I'm sure, they would result in this thread being closed. Suffice to say that, as a former military man, he would have received no quarter whatsoever from me.

#830046 - Sun Oct 07 2012 11:57 AM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: sisterseagull]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
What about a guarantee of no torture. The US has form in this department. They also have form in using confessions under torture. They also have form in telling a detainee they will stay forever if they do not plead guilty in a shonky military tribunal. This happened to David Hicks from Australia and the Government recently dropped a civil case against him because his conviction was not seen as legitimate. Obama uses drones to execute people and anyone else in the area in Pakistan. The courts recently ruled that Obama can detain anyone indefinately without trial. To extradite people to a country that has abdicated the rule of law is a travesty.

Edited by mountaingoat (Sun Oct 07 2012 11:58 AM)

#830072 - Sun Oct 07 2012 02:02 PM Re: Abu Hamza to be extradited to US [Re: mountaingoat]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: mountaingoat
Dsimpy is right about the right wing pro American and British view on this forum. The people who post blatant US propaganda or anti climate change propaganda get a free reign. As soon as someone comes in with an opposing view it becomes CONTROVERSIAL and posts dissapear or threats to close down the thread appear. Sue, if you are the one responsible for this, and as Dsimpy says this is an international forum, you should examine your own beliefs and motives.

Very well expressed, Mountaingoat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943