Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#829860 - Sat Oct 06 2012 08:49 AM Category guidelines and single questions
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Do the category guidelines (for full quizzes) also apply to single questions?

For instance, I had a single question in the New question game about a movie for which several actors had turned down the title role.

The category guidelines for movie quizzes clearly indicate that the questions should be answerable by just watching the movie and the credits. But of course the people who turned a role down, would not be mentioned in the credits...

To be sure, I've sent a correction notice.

On hindsight maybe the single question was in the category People or Celebrities. Do similar guidelines apply to these categories too?

#829864 - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:06 AM Re: Category guidelines and single questions [Re: JanIQ]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Generally yes the category guidelines apply but there can be some exceptions. We have a similar rule in TV about questions being able to be answered by watching the show, however, in single question format I would certainly accept a question that's more about background details of the show and its production.

My thinking is if someone purposely opens up a quiz about, I don't know, Grey's Anatomy, they should expect that they can play the quiz with just knowledge they gain by watching the show. Single questions are different though, and you don't really have any expectation of what knowledge you need before you see and play the question, so to me production details are more fair game as a single question. Within reason, it should still be a fairly interesting point of trivia.

#829869 - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:14 AM Re: Category guidelines and single questions [Re: guitargoddess]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
If I saw a question like that come through in Movies, I would most likely send it to Celebrities, where one would expect questions about which roles a celebrity turned down.

(Editor in Movies, Geography, Brain Teasers, Crosswords)

#829871 - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:27 AM Re: Category guidelines and single questions [Re: spanishliz]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
The confusion is that Movies does take full quizzes about 'the making of' a certain movie where questions like this one would be permitted. HOwever Liz is right in that QQs are not necessarily the same.

If the question asks about a specific celeb who turned down a role then it's an easy fit for Celebs. If it's a question about a bunch of different celebs who were considered, then it's less clear cut because Celebs is about celebrities and not a movie role, which is what the latter would be.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#829880 - Sat Oct 06 2012 10:59 AM Re: Category guidelines and single questions [Re: skunkee]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Belgium
This question was about four or five actors turning down a specific role, and asking for the movie title. So I would imagine it doesn't fit in the Celeb category.

Thanks anyway for clearing up this question.

#829889 - Sat Oct 06 2012 11:55 AM Re: Category guidelines and single questions [Re: JanIQ]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

If the character name was given, that would be clue enough to the name of the movie for it to fit in Movies, I think. If I'm told that Joe Bloggs, Fred Smith and Andy Capp all turned down the role of Rhett Butler, and one of the choices is "Gone with the Wind", I could answer that smile (I could answer it from seeing the movie, because the character is named.)

#830037 - Sun Oct 07 2012 11:35 AM Re: Category guidelines and single questions [Re: spanishliz]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Belgium
This was not the case. The movie we were looking for was "Patton".

#830060 - Sun Oct 07 2012 12:41 PM Re: Category guidelines and single questions [Re: JanIQ]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

I just used a well known film as an example. If the name of the character was given, it should still have been possible to answer.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4