Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#830012 - Sun Oct 07 2012 08:48 AM About the CHAMP Classification
seadancer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
Can you get out of the CHAMP classification if you score low enough? How does that work? ---Sea

#830022 - Sun Oct 07 2012 09:54 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: seadancer]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Once a champ, always a champ.

#830083 - Sun Oct 07 2012 03:36 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: flopsymopsy]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Indeed.

If you get a low score, you're still a champ, just a Badly Behaved Champ, and have to sit in the corner.

Edited by Chavs (Sun Oct 07 2012 03:36 PM)

#830107 - Sun Oct 07 2012 05:42 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Chavs]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
And even if you got there by playing at a pretty mediocre level most of the time, but consistently enough to get the monthly badge, then had one fluke win, you still stay there. Forever.

#830127 - Sun Oct 07 2012 08:35 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: looney_tunes]
seadancer Offline
Enthusiast

How do all the Champs feel about this? i.e., Are there disadvantages? What are they?

Edited by seadancer (Sun Oct 07 2012 08:36 PM)

#830130 - Sun Oct 07 2012 09:10 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: seadancer]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Doesn't bother me in the least smile
I play for me. Sometimes I beat the top guys, sometimes I don't. It's only fun - not sheep stations smile

#830178 - Mon Oct 08 2012 02:26 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: seadancer]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: seadancer
How do all the Champs feel about this? i.e., Are there disadvantages? What are they?

Sometimes the corner's a bit draughty.

#830181 - Mon Oct 08 2012 02:52 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Chavs]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

I keep a comfy chair in the corner.

#830182 - Mon Oct 08 2012 02:55 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: looney_tunes]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

It's warm in this corner isn't it? Looney keeps making toasted sandwiches and they're on fire! Everybody out!

#830232 - Mon Oct 08 2012 08:36 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: flopsymopsy]
seadancer Offline
Enthusiast

Reminds me of the time I asked a teacher of the gifted what happened when a student who wasn't really gifted got into the gifted class simply by dint of hard work. The teacher replied: "They cry a lot." smile

#830234 - Mon Oct 08 2012 09:13 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: seadancer]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
The corner is fine - we have chocolate and red wine as well as the toasties. Before I found FT, I used to play on another (now defunct) trivia site. We had a wet, rather cold, basement on there to contend with whenever we played badly! In comparison, the corner is paradise.

#830245 - Mon Oct 08 2012 10:19 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: rossian]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

I suspect these chairs and chocolates and cheese toasties are editor perks. I've only ever had a hard cold wooden church pew (except for the time I was in the Word Wizard corner and had an appurtenance and it included grazing rights).

In all seriousness, seadancer, I would love it if the champion levels were split up a little so that you could play against people with similar ratings as you, perhaps in divisions or sets that get chosen at the beginning of the month/week and give you a chance therefore to move up into the next one, or down! I think that would make for more meaningful play sometimes.

I have no idea what that would take to set up or host but I suspect it would be quite a lot of coding etc so perhaps not worth it.

Failing that, I might try to get into Rossian's corner next time. Red wine!

Is that a birthday I spy, Flopsymopsy? if so, have a very Happy Birthday! If not, have a very Happy Unbirthday.
http://www.bunspace.com/static/photobucket/9656/pRabbitBday.jpg

Edited by Chavs (Mon Oct 08 2012 10:32 AM)

#830254 - Mon Oct 08 2012 10:41 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Chavs]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I think the champs division is fine as it is. If you are good enough to make it to the champs division, you're good enough to compete with the best of the best. Because, you ARE one of the best. smile So splitting the champs division isn't something I think should be done.

But hey, that's just my opinion. You never know. :P

#830261 - Mon Oct 08 2012 10:51 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: salami_swami]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Well, I'm not going to make stand or a fuss about it and broadly agree that everyone had to get the same entry requirements to be there so it's fair on that front, so I'm only talking about fine tuning.

But in no way could my performance in any champ division even begin to compare with the best of the best. My ratings are generally below the default 1500 whereas some people's are hitting 2100! Very different capabilities, I would say. I agree with the basic idea to create a champs' division though.

My only reservation about altering it as described is that it would be extremely awkward, difficult, heavy on the site, time-consuming etc etc -- and possibly not add enough bonus enjoyment to warrant the nervous breakdowns it may induce. wink

#830314 - Mon Oct 08 2012 12:42 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Chavs]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks very much for the birthday wishes, Chavs. grin

I don't care about the ELO ratings - and if you pick and choose which topics/games to play it's possible to skew those a bit so dinnae fash yersel. smile

I'm not an editor either, I can only sniff LT's toasties and hope she drops crumbs. Rossian must bring her own supplies. wink

#830339 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:15 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: flopsymopsy]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I'm not an editor either, I can only sniff LT's toasties and hope she drops crumbs. Rossian must bring her own supplies. wink

I am more than happy to share my toasties with all who share the corner. But some rabbits are pretty good at the games, and don't drop in very often.

#830342 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:22 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: looney_tunes]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Does that mean I can bring rabbit stew next time, without upsetting our hopping friend? I'm not an editor, either, but waving bottles of red wine around opens lots of doors, even the ones leading to dead end corners.

#830346 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:37 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: rossian]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

I love rabbit stew. blush

#830350 - Mon Oct 08 2012 02:05 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: flopsymopsy]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
It's why no one ever finds the bodies. smile
All llamas know not to upset Wonderbun.
I occasionally find myself in the champion divisions for certain topics, it is a matter of great amazement and befuddlement to me.
Although having a hip flask helps soften the shock.

#830356 - Mon Oct 08 2012 03:25 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Jabberwok]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: Jabberwok
It's why no one ever finds the bodies. smile
All llamas know not to upset Wonderbun.

Now look what you've done, Jabber. shocked I was hoping to sneak up on a few more but now my secret is out. whistle

#830357 - Mon Oct 08 2012 03:29 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: flopsymopsy]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

The curse of the flopsybunny! Not quite the same ring to it as the curse of the wererabbit but chilling none the less....

#830362 - Mon Oct 08 2012 03:59 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Chavs]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
A good solution is to create a second "standings chart" that sorts standings by other criteria... level, time on the site, etc. And have it sortable, so that you can compare and compete against whatever players you think best represents "fair competition".

That is something I can add someday to our hourly / daily games, although it is a bit of a project.

#830444 - Mon Oct 08 2012 11:59 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Terry]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
The only frustration (and it's relatively mild) that I have with the champs division is in the Who Am I game, which is my worst game on the site by far. I got most of the badges when it was an hourly game, so I find myself slogging gradually toward the 50,000 Whozit badge in the champs divisions. Only about a year left to go on it... tongue

Also, the battles in divisions 11 & 12 in the daily game are fierce -- I'll never be top of the table there, but since everyone in there has all the badges, I'm not bothered by it.

#830714 - Wed Oct 10 2012 12:36 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: abechstein]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Thanks for replying, Terry. It's the "bit of a project" part that makes me wary about any changes - just thinking of all that work being wasted if people aren't going to use it or don't feel it would add enough fun. (Salami, for example, likes things just as they are and maybe most people do! smile )

I was thinking of something more along the lines of the current Mind Melt (or Who Am I!) system that sorts people into random* sets. I suppose it increases the chances of winning a "division" if that's your Daily Challenge, but there's still an over all scoreboard to refer to. (If that makes sense). I had thought it might also allow people more chances to collect points towards those long-haul badges - but Abechstein's post doesn't seem to back that up?? Maybe I misunderstand how it works.

*When I posted earlier in the thread about sets being sorted by ratings, Flopsy quite rightly pointed out that one's ratings could be manipulated if one wanted to drop into a lower set.

But as I say, the fuss involved in setting it up would have to be worth it. If other people don't want to be split up I am quite happy to sit back down on my pew. I found a boiled sweet stuffed down the back of it earlier and it was delicious, if a little a furry. wink

Edited by Chavs (Wed Oct 10 2012 12:37 PM)

#830776 - Wed Oct 10 2012 07:37 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Chavs]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
I'll chime in Chavs, just so you know you aren't alone. I have often wondered why there are certain people who are champions in many of the expert game categories, are rated in the top five, yet continue to play those categories again and again. Because many of them have played for years, and have seen virtually every question in the category, their times are generally so low that it's almost impossible for people new to that champion category to win. I know I sound disgruntled, but it seems rather unsportsmanlike to continually play and win the same champion expert games over and over, when there is no real advantage in doing so. Their places at the top of the ratings heap aren't threatened, so why play every time the category comes up and effectively prevent those new to the champion category from winning? A system of separating the champions into different divisions, like Terry mentioned, sounds ideal. I sure hope it's doable!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Terry