Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 41 of 51 < 1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 50 51 >
Topic Options
#820636 - Mon Sep 03 2012 12:25 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
"Pot likker" is a regional term in the southern US, and though it looks wrong, that is the accepted spelling for the cooking liquid of vegetables (most often collard greens). I've never heard it used for the cooking liquid of meat, but...

There does seem to be a typo in the definition, though.

#820675 - Mon Sep 03 2012 09:59 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: abechstein]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Got this one again, too. Still an accent mark in place of a quotation mark.
10. French for `worst going'
Your answer: pis aller

#822247 - Mon Sep 10 2012 08:30 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Not sure if this is the right place to say, but when I submitted a word, it said, "Word succesfully submitted!"

Isn't "succesfully" missing an "s"?

#822311 - Tue Sep 11 2012 06:36 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Mariamir]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Good eye, Marissa! I'd never seen that before.

Sue

#824468 - Mon Sep 17 2012 07:21 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

12. Informal terms for a human `tooth'
Your answer: pearly

Mix of accent mark and single quotation. The source needs to be changed and/or improved.

#825413 - Thu Sep 20 2012 11:24 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Never bet money on these.

2. The property of copious abundance
Your answer: abound in

abound in means "exist in large quantity"

The correct answer was amplitude

#827212 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:21 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Well..to be technical... I suppose "abound in" is not a property whereas "amplitude" is.

#827214 - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:21 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Mariamir]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: Mariamir
Not sure if this is the right place to say, but when I submitted a word, it said, "Word succesfully submitted!"

Isn't "succesfully" missing an "s"?

That's funny! grin

#829459 - Thu Oct 04 2012 03:11 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
CmdrK Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
This is in this hour's Word Wizard:

9. A pass to a receiver upfield from the passer
answer: lateral

This isn't right. While some dictionaries are nebulous in their description of which direction the pass is going in, in American football it's very specific:
lateral
(3) Football (also lateral pass) a pass thrown either sideways or backward from the position of the passer.

If it goes upfield from the passer, it's a forward pass, not a lateral.

Edited by CmdrK (Thu Oct 04 2012 03:12 PM)

#829469 - Thu Oct 04 2012 05:01 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: CmdrK]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
I was amused today to have the same word twice in a row with two different definitions:

3. Nightcap
Your answer: an alcoholic drink taken at bedtime

4. Nightcap
Your answer: the final game of a double header

I hope the system is set up so that both definitions don't show up in the same list of choices!

#829584 - Fri Oct 05 2012 09:39 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
moonraker2 Offline
Participant

Loc: Wiltshire UK

Whilst it's not of earth shattering importance I was just a tad aggrieved at a Word Wizard entry that went against me this afternoon, as follows:

5. Compensate
Your answer: offset

offset means "a compensating equivalent"

The correct answer was "get even".

It seems slightly unreasonable to have these two alternatives available for selection, as either of them could arguably be correct.

#829749 - Fri Oct 05 2012 07:13 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: moonraker2]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
LOL! I can actually see why your answer was incorrect in a "definitive" way, but even so I had to laugh, after all .. "don't get mad, get even" is rarely a statement regarded as conciliatory. Don't you love the game though? It reflects all the weird nuances of the English language : )

#830014 - Sun Oct 07 2012 09:04 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
moonraker2 Offline
Participant

Agreed Jakeroo, the added problem I have with WW, although I'm addicted to the game, is that the English language I've lived with all my life on this side of The Pond does not include many of the American variations. laugh

#830021 - Sun Oct 07 2012 09:48 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: moonraker2]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

yes, I have the same "problem" and I'm much closer to the US than you are. Every day my life is inundated by American spellings of words (not helped at all by the fact that I can't change my "work" default to Canadian English in Microsoft Office without contacting an IT Help(less) person smile. I plan to start a protest LOL

#830031 - Sun Oct 07 2012 11:13 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
moonraker2 Offline
Participant

I fear any protest may fall on deaf ears as this first-rate site owes its origin to [and is based in] the USA. laugh

However, perhaps a peaceful sit-in on the WW steps may do the trick! ;)LOL

-------------------------------------------------

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin!"

#830064 - Sun Oct 07 2012 01:01 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: moonraker2]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
The variety is part of the fun, in my opinion! I think the game is fine as is. Remember that slang varies even across a country, so many Americans won't know a lot of the so-called US slang and the same for any country.

#830110 - Sun Oct 07 2012 05:58 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: reeshy]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Moonraker2,
The first step to a common understood language is to speak it to each other and find where the differences are. So, with that in mind and to wile away the hours during the sit in, may I ask what your definition of 'is' is? A lot depends on it. Some of our Rhodes Scholars on this side of the ocean can't seem to agree on that one.

#830185 - Mon Oct 08 2012 04:43 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
moonraker2 Offline
Participant

Mehaul ... surely it is one of the requisites of a politician to impart ambiguous statements when being questioned? blush

Although, perhaps Mr Clinton was being particularly astute when offering his definition of the word!?

As suggested I will contemplate my interpretation during the sit in! confused

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin!"

#830281 - Mon Oct 08 2012 11:32 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: moonraker2]
cairnster Offline
Participant

Loc: Singapore / Austria
Not really a content issue, but has anyone else ever noticed that it says "Word 'succesfully' submitted" when submitting a word? The dictionary right below would have an issue with that smilee

#830445 - Tue Oct 09 2012 12:21 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: cairnster]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
"white-out" vs. "white out".....

There was a question on Word Wizard that presented the word "white-out". The correct answer was purported to be "widen the interlinear spacing by inserting leads".

I didn't get the question because I was unaware of this definition. However, more to the point, I checked this on the Free Dictionary Online, and it gives that defintion for "white out" without the hyphen, but not for "white-out" with the hyphen. I think this is a notable distinction.

Edited by gracious1 (Tue Oct 09 2012 12:21 AM)

#830539 - Tue Oct 09 2012 12:43 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: gracious1]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I can picture the wordbot trying to cram two words into the space allotted for one. The hyphen must have been the lubricant to make it slip right in.

#830577 - Tue Oct 09 2012 02:52 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: gracious1
"white-out" vs. "white out".....

There was a question on Word Wizard that presented the word "white-out". The correct answer was purported to be "widen the interlinear spacing by inserting leads".

I didn't get the question because I was unaware of this definition. However, more to the point, I checked this on the Free Dictionary Online, and it gives that defintion for "white out" without the hyphen, but not for "white-out" with the hyphen. I think this is a notable distinction.

I doesn't really matter what information you find in other dictionaries, for this game you have to live with the (often slightly 'off') definitions and spellings used in the dictionary in the game. It is not on the FunTrivia site, so we cannot amend it, and the task of removing by filter everything that someone doesn't agree with would take up far too much of Terry's time to be worthwhile. Once you accept the oddities as part of the quirkiness that gives the game its charm, it's all a lot more fun. And learning the words and definitions here is a big help in Mind Melt!

#830815 - Wed Oct 10 2012 11:40 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: moonraker2]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: moonraker2

I fear any protest may fall on deaf ears as this first-rate site owes its origin to [and is based in] the USA. laugh
However, perhaps a peaceful sit-in on the WW steps may do the trick! ;)LOL

-------------------------------------------------

(giggles) - well, I meant I wanted to start a protest with the IT people at work, not FT, as I like the game just the way it is.

Speaking of the "IT guys", the last one I talked to was named "Guy".
Okay, (I) found that amusing, but perhaps I need to get out of the office more often ...

Edited by Jakeroo (Wed Oct 10 2012 11:44 PM)

#832192 - Wed Oct 17 2012 08:17 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Terry]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
"11. Corporation
Your answer: a body of people doing the same kind of work

a body of people doing the same kind of work is the definition for "occupational_group"

The correct answer was slang terms for a paunch"

...Really???

#832193 - Wed Oct 17 2012 08:19 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: sportsherald]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
My father had quite a large corporation. He claimed it was all muscle. So yes, really, lol.

Page 41 of 51 < 1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 50 51 >

Moderator:  Terry