Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 27 of 93 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
#829759 - Fri Oct 05 2012 08:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
But if you are replaying a quiz, you cannot rate it again, so would be unable to complete the challenge. The longer you're here, the more likely it is that you will have already played at least some of the quizzes on the list. I know I had already played all of the ones listed for a challenge worded like that one.

Maybe it could be set up in such a way as to only give you quizzes you've not played before?

I can see how having already played a lot of quizzes on the list previously could be a problem, especially if you're someone who rates all the time when you play.

...Is it possible to have it set up so that just selecting a rating counts, even if you don't get points because you've previously rated the quiz?

If neither of the above are feasible, then just ignore the rating thing. I wouldn't want to intentionally screw over players who've already played and rated a lot of the quizzes. I actually just played on in my list that I'd played and rated yesterday. I don't want people missing out on credits that they would be able to earn if the challenge stayed as is.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Fri Oct 05 2012 08:51 PM)

#829761 - Fri Oct 05 2012 09:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
Maybe ratings could be incorporated into different challenges altogether, like "play and rate X quizzes" for an Easy challenge (as only 2 correct would be required). Naturally, you would only then be playing quizzes you hadn't played before for such a challenge. I think the others are best left as they are.

#829781 - Sat Oct 06 2012 04:08 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
How the hell do you score 3988 in a quiz in Quiz game mode? There aren't enough questions as according to the challenge you have to do this in each quiz. The categories are Animals 0/3988, Sports 0/3988, History 0/3988, Geography 0/3988 and Literature 0/3988. Even doing a 25 question quiz getting all the questions right in 0 time will only get you 2500. Oh just realised you have to play more than one quiz in each subject. Doh!

Edited by Starlord (Sat Oct 06 2012 04:14 AM)

#829877 - Sat Oct 06 2012 10:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
Iceman61 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Michigan USA
I traded in my difficult challenge and got the one about going up against someone in Expert. You are only allowed to use your first four scores of the day against your opponent. I had already played three times and those scores show up for me. Admittedly, they are not my best scores. Shouldn't those not be counted since it tells me to pick wisely? That is kind of like Ex Post Trivus where I am being punished for something I did before the law/game came into effect. Maybe it is a bug and maybe it is not. I thought I would point that out.

#829881 - Sat Oct 06 2012 11:07 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Iceman61]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I got that one today too Iceman. I don't play Expert as a rule (because I'm horrible at it lol), so hadn't played any before the challenge. But I do agree with you that things that happened BEFORE you received your challenge shouldn't be counted in any of them (regardless of whether a person was successful or not) unless the lack of success was due to a definite bug.

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Oct 06 2012 11:08 AM)

#829883 - Sat Oct 06 2012 11:18 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Jakeroo]
Iceman61 Offline
Forum Adept

Of course, Jakeroo knows that great minds think alike and not just because we are in agreement. I know it could be the other way around and I could have scored much higher. My thought is that scores on a challenge like that is the scores count after you draw no matter what. Especially since it is a difficult challenge and requires extra effort on your part to complete it.

#829884 - Sat Oct 06 2012 11:29 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Iceman61]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Well, that's the one I ended up with by purchasing one after knowing I wasn't going to succeed at my easy challenge (of all things!) LOL. I don't know what Iceman's original circumstances were. Generally I check the challenge list when I first log on, before I play ANYTHING at all.

Iceman: I most assuredly don't have a great mind (but thanks anyway lol), but if it wasn't on your original list of challenges then I most heartily agree that what happened before receiving it shouldn't have counted.

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Oct 06 2012 11:30 AM)

#829886 - Sat Oct 06 2012 11:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Jakeroo]
Iceman61 Offline
Forum Adept

It was actually one I had purchased with credits. I had already used my trade in and figured I would get something good in return.

#829892 - Sat Oct 06 2012 12:20 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Iceman61]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Iceman: We're in the same "boat" then lol.

My competitor has many more expert wins than I do (I would imagine it's not all that hard for many folks to get more than the paltry 3 I have!) and managed to beat my best score easily by quite a good margin. This was not a surprise to me, since my only hope (in reality) was that he/she didn't log on today at all LOL. Oh well. I still like the challenge, even if I'm out 9 buckaroos ~.

Best wishes to all in their personal challenges.

#829913 - Sat Oct 06 2012 05:15 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Iceman61]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Iceman61
I traded in my difficult challenge and got the one about going up against someone in Expert. You are only allowed to use your first four scores of the day against your opponent. I had already played three times and those scores show up for me. Admittedly, they are not my best scores. Shouldn't those not be counted since it tells me to pick wisely? That is kind of like Ex Post Trivus where I am being punished for something I did before the law/game came into effect. Maybe it is a bug and maybe it is not. I thought I would point that out.

For 95% of challenges, we do look "at the whole day" to determine scores, and for most there are very good reasons. This one, though, is both fairly easy for me to change to look at only your first 4 expert scores AFTER you get it. I think doing that would make that challenge a little more interesting.

#829920 - Sat Oct 06 2012 05:57 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
The thing to do is check your challenges FIRST. That way, you're not compromising any of the challenges. So that even if you do decide to buy a new challenge, you have a clean slate ready.

#829925 - Sat Oct 06 2012 06:24 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: AlexxSchneider]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Sometimes you don't know that you want to trade a failed challenge immediately. I traded away from being a Team Hero one day only when my score fell to sixth place late in the day. That gave me a chance to complete the replacement challenge; it would have been disappointing if my purchase turned out to be completely unachievable in the remaining time, but not devastating.

#829926 - Sat Oct 06 2012 06:35 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
Iceman61 Offline
Forum Adept

Earlier today I traded finishing in the top 3 in Global Challenge in one of the categories because I had played a round already and didn't feel confident about meeting it. The replacement was scoring 10 points on a quiz in 14 different categories. That was much easier to meet. I bought my challenge about beating someone in Expert. I guess the question would be: do we actually know what exactly the challenges are or have to wait and find out? If I knew I might play differently, but that would limit my playing on the chance I might get the Expert nemesis.

#829929 - Sat Oct 06 2012 07:25 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Yes, it is supposed to work like that.

You will get an opponent as soon as another player is issued the challenge. They will know they are your opponent when they receive the challenge. Keep an eye out to see who your opponent is throughout the rest of the day! wink

I got my opponent's name immediately and was kind of concerned that he wouldn't have mine. I attribute me beating him 11,321 to 1,935 to the fact that he's only been registered for 4 days though.

========

I got this medium challenge today:

"Play in an hourly game of Piece of Cake and score at least 905 points."

and I'm kind of curious how it arrived at a score of 905 to beat. Above 900 means I had to get all 10 questions right, but 905 means I could've done it within 95 seconds, which is really a meaninglessly high amount in the piece of cake game. It may as well just be "get all 10 questions right in the easy game."

I imagine there are other 'point gaps' similar to that, though I wonder how - if at all - you'd address it.

#829936 - Sat Oct 06 2012 08:17 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: nautilator]
tiddybitnibbly Offline
Participant

Loc: Maryland USA
Originally Posted By: nautilator

I got my opponent's name immediately and was kind of concerned that he wouldn't have mine. I attribute me beating him 11,321 to 1,935 to the fact that he's only been registered for 4 days though.

Does that mean the assigning of opponents is completely random? Based on the three I've had so far (levels 126, 109, and 159), I assumed that the system paired players with similar levels and/or points. It would be really nice to have an opponent score 2,000 points instead of 57,000 for a change!

#829941 - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:36 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: AlexxSchneider]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: AlexxSchneider
The thing to do is check your challenges FIRST. That way, you're not compromising any of the challenges. So that even if you do decide to buy a new challenge, you have a clean slate ready.

Exactly. It just takes some strategy. And when it doesn't work out, that's the luck of the draw. Loving these challenges, even those I have no shot at getting.

Sue

#829942 - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:36 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: tiddybitnibbly]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: tiddybitnibbly
Originally Posted By: nautilator

Does that mean the assigning of opponents is completely random? Based on the three I've had so far (levels 126, 109, and 159), I assumed that the system paired players with similar levels and/or points. It would be really nice to have an opponent score 2,000 points instead of 57,000 for a change!

I think it's totally random. I was assigned a Nemesis who was not a Gold Member and had already maxed out the regular quiz tracking...so while I could rack up the quiz points, my Nemesis was stuck playing hourlies and dailies...

#829945 - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:52 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

If i ever got that challenge of scoring more points than an opponent it simple would not worry whether i won or lost, I'd simply play as normal as I have to dialyse 4 times a week and I am usually to knackered afterwards to bother getting into a points fight, plus the fact my joints in my hands are stiff with arthritis so i'm not going to do anything that will make that worse. I have already written off the challenge of winning an hourly game.

#830038 - Sun Oct 07 2012 11:43 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Don't worry if you miss a daily challenge. There are all sorts of circumstances that might explain it: working late, domestic duties, medical conditions... - even a phone ringing might be enough to make you lose a challenge.

#830150 - Sun Oct 07 2012 10:27 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: JanIQ]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
Don't worry if you miss a daily challenge. There are all sorts of circumstances that might explain it: working late, domestic duties, medical conditions... - even a phone ringing might be enough to make you lose a challenge.

Dog wanting to come in. Never underestimate the power of the Paws. May the Paws be with you!

#830172 - Mon Oct 08 2012 12:18 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: JanIQ]
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside, CA, USA        
Originally Posted By: Difficult Challenge
Score a Word Wizard Gold Member Game word of exactly 10 letters.

Yowzers. Thank goodness for the weekly switchout!

#830174 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:12 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: Starlord

Dog wanting to come in. Never underestimate the power of the Paws. May the Paws be with you!

Or a cat demanding your attention, by walking across your keyboard and hitting [ENTER], for no particular reason at all! Meow!

Edited by gracious1 (Mon Oct 08 2012 01:12 AM)

#830176 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:22 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: gracious1]
malik24 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Somerset UK
Or just having a random selection that does not suit you.

I've had the Crystal Ball difficult challenge 3 times now, and not completed it once. That one's definitely on my auto-swap list, though I couldn't yesterday as I'd already used the swap. I'd like to even the score once like I did with the Triathlon one, but it's my least favourite game so I'm in no rush for it to appear again.

#830179 - Mon Oct 08 2012 02:28 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: gracious1]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: gracious1
Originally Posted By: Starlord

Or a cat demanding your attention, by walking across your keyboard and hitting [ENTER], for no particular reason at all! Meow!

Cats don't do things for "no reason", they always have a plan - beware! wink

#830257 - Mon Oct 08 2012 10:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
LadyCaitriona Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I just started checking these out, and this thread is quite long so please forgive me that I haven't looked over everything before posting.

Should each challenge have a link to where you need to go? Both my Easy and Difficult challenges link to the places I need to go (the Global Challenge, and the People category), but my Medium clue says to go to Mind Melt (in bold) but doesn't have the link:

Score at least 1951 points in today's Mind Melt - using the TIMED mode.

Editor for Humanities and Movies

Page 27 of 93 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 92 93 >

Moderator:  Terry