Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 28 of 91 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#830280 - Mon Oct 08 2012 11:28 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: LadyCaitriona]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona
I just started checking these out, and this thread is quite long so please forgive me that I haven't looked over everything before posting.

Should each challenge have a link to where you need to go? Both my Easy and Difficult challenges link to the places I need to go (the Global Challenge, and the People category), but my Medium clue says to go to Mind Melt (in bold) but doesn't have the link:

Score at least 1951 points in today's Mind Melt - using the TIMED mode.

Mind Melt challenges do not have links. I don't know why they don't though. But all levels of Difficulty for Mind Melt just have the bolded words, no links. Most other things do have links though...I think it has been brought up a few times, but nothing has been done about it as of yet...

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Mon Oct 08 2012 11:28 AM)

#830307 - Mon Oct 08 2012 12:28 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: golfmom08]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
Originally Posted By: golfmom08
[quote=Terry]Re: Flash.

If you don't want to get any challenges that involve flash, load your challenge page for the first time of the day using your iPad or phone. The challenge generator will notice you're on a phone/ipad and make sure not to select flash-type challenges for the day for you.

This should probably be added to the FAQ too!

Has this been done? One of my challenges today was to play one of the International quizzes. I play on my iPad most if not all of the time. Today I was able to log in on my computer at work (this is not always possible).

#830340 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:16 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: LadyCaitriona]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona
I just started checking these out, and this thread is quite long so please forgive me that I haven't looked over everything before posting.

Should each challenge have a link to where you need to go? Both my Easy and Difficult challenges link to the places I need to go (the Global Challenge, and the People category), but my Medium clue says to go to Mind Melt (in bold) but doesn't have the link:

Score at least 1951 points in today's Mind Melt - using the TIMED mode.

They don't NEED to. I'll eventually get to doing them all, but links are low priority. Consider finding Mind Melt part of the challenge wink

#830341 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:19 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: golfmom08]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

If you don't want to get any challenges that involve flash, load your challenge page for the first time of the day using your iPad or phone. The challenge generator will notice you're on a phone/ipad and make sure not to select flash-type challenges for the day for you.

Has this been done? One of my challenges today was to play one of the International quizzes. I play on my iPad most if not all of the time. Today I was able to log in on my computer at work (this is not always possible).

Looks like I missed the International quizzes as "flash". I've removed that from future consideration for ipads.

#830343 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:26 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
Originally Posted By: Terry

Looks like I missed the International quizzes as "flash". I've removed that from future consideration for ipads.

Thank you for the speedy response. I'm thoroughly enjoying these Daily Challenges and they are first thing I look at after I've poured the first cup of coffee each morning!

#830345 - Mon Oct 08 2012 01:28 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
bushidox Offline
Participant

Loc: Missouri USA
In reference to the post by kaddarsgirl:
"I think it's totally random. I was assigned a Nemesis who was not a Gold Member and had already maxed out the regular quiz tracking...so while I could rack up the quiz points, my Nemesis was stuck playing hourlies and dailies..."

I think this brings up a very valid problem. Gold members have by definition access to far more of the site than do regular members. As I myself was until the dailies started a non-gold member I can attest to how hard it is to score over 10,000 in a day with limited access. My proposal to fix this one is simple: for the purposes of a cumulative total for the day ala Nemesis, make it so it does a check if the member is gold or not, and only pair like with like. Presumably, this would also help link like leveled players, as, at a guess, players heavily into trivia would typically subscribe to the site to have more fun after a given amount of time. Your mileage will vary and all, but pairing gold versus non-gold seems a bit skewed on average.

In reference to one of kaddarsgirl's other ideas, this also applies, as I believe that you can only rate up to the first 200 quizzes you take as a non-gold member, and therefore any non-gold member would be unable to accomplish ratings related challenges. It was a good idea, but would shut out a large chunk of the player base.

#830354 - Mon Oct 08 2012 02:28 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bushidox]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I view it as just another incentive to go gold. wink

But for the nemesis, perhaps a system that only paired gold with gold, and non-gold with non-gold, would be best.

The others, though, I think, would be best to keep as that little extra push to get someone to go gold. It's one of the best purchases EVER. smile

#830355 - Mon Oct 08 2012 03:23 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
It's one of the best purchases EVER. smile

I second that. smile

#830358 - Mon Oct 08 2012 03:30 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: reeshy]
ArlingtonVA Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Virginia USA
This may have been pointed out before, but when a challenge requires you to play a quiz in Quiz Mode, the quiz should not be HTML only. That happened to me today. No big deal, other than mildly frustrating, but it's a small flaw in a terrific new site feature.

Clyde

P.S. The quiz was "Quizzical46: Easy Word Search2"

#830360 - Mon Oct 08 2012 03:56 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: ArlingtonVA]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: ArlingtonVA
This may have been pointed out before, but when a challenge requires you to play a quiz in Quiz Mode, the quiz should not be HTML only. That happened to me today. No big deal, other than mildly frustrating, but it's a small flaw in a terrific new site feature.

Clyde

P.S. The quiz was "Quizzical46: Easy Word Search2"

That was a bug, and has been fixed for the future. Thanks for the report.

#830402 - Mon Oct 08 2012 06:21 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
Find five quizzes, online for over a month, that have fewer than 50 ratings. Play and rate them.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not: I played a quiz which I had previously played (and presumably rated at the time). It was counted toward the challenge. If the point is to increase the ratings for these quizzes, then playing something that you have already rated shouldn't count because rating the quiz again won't increase the number of ratings. On the other hand, if the main point is to create a scavenger hunt and low number of ratings is just something to find, then it doesn't really matter.

#830405 - Mon Oct 08 2012 06:42 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Julia103]
MarchHare007 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

International Hourly games will not load - links click but gives me a blue screen with the usual FT links across the top - and a small blue square that looks like it should be clickable.

http://www.funtrivia.com/quiztime/index.cfm?gamenum=1

#830410 - Mon Oct 08 2012 07:05 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: MarchHare007]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
When I clicked on your link, it loaded fine. Possibly a caching issue?

#830418 - Mon Oct 08 2012 07:09 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
MarchHare007 Offline
Forum Adept

Cache appears clear, Loones.

Any other suggestions?

#830424 - Mon Oct 08 2012 07:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: MarchHare007]
malik24 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Somerset UK
Is your version of Flash Player up to date and working?

#830431 - Mon Oct 08 2012 07:45 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: malik24]
MarchHare007 Offline
Forum Adept

Just made sure Malik and yes it is.
I've refreshed, logged out and back in.
No change. frown

#830434 - Mon Oct 08 2012 07:53 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Julia103]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Julia103
Find five quizzes, online for over a month, that have fewer than 50 ratings. Play and rate them.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not: I played a quiz which I had previously played (and presumably rated at the time). It was counted toward the challenge. If the point is to increase the ratings for these quizzes, then playing something that you have already rated shouldn't count because rating the quiz again won't increase the number of ratings. On the other hand, if the main point is to create a scavenger hunt and low number of ratings is just something to find, then it doesn't really matter.

The point is to increase the number of ratings, as well as be a fun little hunt for you. If the intermediate page after the answers page said at the top that you were given 20 points, then you had not previously rated it and therefore it should have counted.

If, however, you rated it, and the intermediate page did not award you 20 points and thank you for your rating, then it is in fact a glitch and should not have been counted. Terry would need to take a look at that point.

#830435 - Mon Oct 08 2012 07:53 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: reeshy]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: reeshy
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
It's one of the best purchases EVER. smile

I second that. smile

I agree, but not everyone can afford even the low annual fee that it takes to be Gold Member, and I hate to see people left out because of pecuniary difficulties.

Edited by gracious1 (Tue Oct 09 2012 12:14 AM)

#830439 - Mon Oct 08 2012 09:44 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: MarchHare007]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: MarchHare007
Cache appears clear, Loones.

Any other suggestions?

Certainly sounds like a flash issue:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

#830442 - Mon Oct 08 2012 11:40 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
MarchHare007 Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks for the link Terry.
Bizarrely the computer is telling me it Is upgraded but I'm still having problems.

This is my work computer. I'll play around with it and see if I can see anything else.
I'll try the Mac later, when I'm home. I'm sure it will be okay! smile

#830443 - Mon Oct 08 2012 11:47 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
If, however, you rated it, and the intermediate page did not award you 20 points and thank you for your rating, then it is in fact a glitch and should not have been counted. Terry would need to take a look at that point.

Well, no, not by the terms of the challenge. It requires you to take the quiz and rate it -- it doesn't specify that the quiz be one you haven't previously taken or rated. I presume that the coding for this challenge just looks at the number of ratings and whether a rating is submitted, so awarding credit in this situation doesn't seem to be an error. If the intent is for the qualifying quizzes to only include quizzes the player hasn't played before, the challenge should so specify.

Incidentally, this challenge has been one of my favorites. I was glad to see that the bottom limit on ratings was removed when I got it the second time (the first time I got it the qualifying quizzes were ones who had from "20 to 50 ratings" rather than just "under 50 ratings").

#830456 - Tue Oct 09 2012 03:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: abechstein]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
We don't want to exclude players who play and rate most or all quizzes as they come out (and there are several of those) from enjoying the challenges. This requires us to accept a play-and-rate even if the player has rated it before, otherwise they might not have any options!

#830514 - Tue Oct 09 2012 08:56 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
moonraker2 Offline
Participant

Loc: Wiltshire UK
I have just tried to buy another challenge, but am being advised "You cannot buy any more challenges right now as you have more than 1 incomplete challenge".

One of my challenges is .... "You must end today as one of your team's heroes in the Team Hero game". I've completed the challenge and feel confident of being successful, but of course the result cannot be determined before the close of the FT day.

My query is ... if I'm ever allocated more than one similar 'daily' challenge on any one day it will be impossible to buy additional challenges on that day, although I'm guessing this scenario may have already been dealt with in the schedule?

#830516 - Tue Oct 09 2012 08:58 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: moonraker2]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
If that happens, tough luck. That might make it especially tricky when going for the "10 in one day" minibadge. wink

Luck of the draw. If you happen to get 2 "end of the day" challenges, you cannot buy any more. Nothing we can do about it; just an unfortunate happenstance. smile

#830523 - Tue Oct 09 2012 10:34 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: abechstein]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: abechstein
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl

Well, no, not by the terms of the challenge. It requires you to take the quiz and rate it -- it doesn't specify that the quiz be one you haven't previously taken or rated. I presume that the coding for this challenge just looks at the number of ratings and whether a rating is submitted, so awarding credit in this situation doesn't seem to be an error. If the intent is for the qualifying quizzes to only include quizzes the player hasn't played before, the challenge should so specify.

Incidentally, this challenge has been one of my favorites. I was glad to see that the bottom limit on ratings was removed when I got it the second time (the first time I got it the qualifying quizzes were ones who had from "20 to 50 ratings" rather than just "under 50 ratings").

It is a technical issue that will remain the way it is by design. In short, the system has no idea WHEN you rated a quiz. It just knows that (a) you played quiz X today and (b) it has been rated by you some time in the past. As pointed out, this will sometimes give credit for quizzes rated a long time ago. In the spirit of the challenge I encourage you to try to play and rate quizzes you have never played before for that challenge.

Page 28 of 91 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Terry