Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#830608 - Tue Oct 09 2012 04:49 PM Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Loc: Grayslake
Illinois USA    
I have continuing problems with Adobe Shockwave & Flash crashing in Facebook games. I use the lastest versions with IE9. Typically I will get the message Shockwave crashed or an ! on a whiteout game screen. I recently upgraded my memory from 2 Gb to 4 Gb (6400), since I was running up against memory usage problems, but the crashes still occur.

I've checked various user forums, but I haven't found any solutions yet. Any ideas here for things to try?

My memory usage doesn't get much above 65% and my CPU doesn't get much above 30%. Obviously you may need more info from me about my system (Dell 546 PC) or the problems I'm having. Ask away.

On an old issue, I asked about using mixed speed memory sticks on my Dell 546. I finally tried two 5300 modules and one 6400 module in that order. The system would not boot and I burned my fingers on the 6400 module when I removed it. The 5300 modules were not hurt and my system booted fine with the 5300 modules. The 6400 module was good before the test. I didn't try to determine if it was damaged by my action.

Happy(?) Computer Solutions!
Immortal #4, #8, #15, #18, #6, #6, #5, #5, #4, #7, #4, #12, #15, #48, #26, #19, #__, #__, #16 (GC2-20)
Who Am I? Editor since June 17, 2008 - June 30, 2013

#830623 - Tue Oct 09 2012 05:44 PM Re: Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems [Re: JMElston]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Has it happened when you're not using IE? Try a different browser and see if that helps.

Editor for Television Category

#830638 - Tue Oct 09 2012 08:16 PM Re: Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems [Re: ladymacb29]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Like stated above, the first thing I'd do is try Chrome or Firefox. If the same result, it's most likely your flash or shockwave install. It might depend on if you use any add-ons in IE as well as operating system.

OS might be useful to help diagnose the problem so you should probably let us know which you use (Vista, Windows 7, XP, etc).

You can try completely uninstalling flash and shockwave, and installing them again from scratch. If you want to try clearing flash cache before that, that's another thing to try.

#830666 - Wed Oct 10 2012 12:21 AM Re: Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems [Re: pyonir]
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
I use Windows 7 with default settings. I have tried the uninstall/reinstall process on Shockwave, Flash & Chrome with no difference. I've been tempted to try it with IE9, but I'm not sure that I want to go through that hassle.

I have similar problems with Chrome, but not as frequent. I don't get the "not respomding" errors with Chrome, only crashes and ! screens. I haven't tried FireFox, but I should.

With Chrome I have a different major problem. After a few uses it takes several MINUTES for Facebook to just load rather than a few seconds as it should. Once loaded the slowdown usually goes away. Other sites such as FT don't take as long, but there is some degradation in loading speed with repeated use. Redownloading Chrome solves the problem temporarily. I tried a suggestion of turning off an option (Predict network actions to improve page load performance), but doing that didn't help any. I also disabled Chrome's internal Flash as suggested, but this made things worse.

Happy(?) Loading Problems!

Edited by JMElston (Wed Oct 10 2012 12:26 AM)
Immortal #4, #8, #15, #18, #6, #6, #5, #5, #4, #7, #4, #12, #15, #48, #26, #19, #__, #__, #16 (GC2-20)

#830668 - Wed Oct 10 2012 01:26 AM Re: Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems [Re: JMElston]
gtho4 Online   FT-blank

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

#830670 - Wed Oct 10 2012 01:42 AM Re: Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Facebook has certainly changed in the past few months. Whereas before they were a friendly, not-for-profit community building media experience, they now seem to be a corporate vacuum operation trying to put hooks and pop-ups and all sorts of other gimmicks into everyone's machines with the sole purpose being to find things they can attach value to (email addresses?) and sell on the market. They are creating value for themselves based on our being communal creatures (I'd liken them to vultures but those birds serve a valuable function). I wish the free ad for them found on almost all result pages here at FT would disappear. Since they started selling stock, how can any logo of theirs not be seen as an ad? I'd expect more problems using their site to pop up as they limit expenses for maintenance in favor of caring about the bottom line. Burnt fingers? Just the start. IMHO.

#830672 - Wed Oct 10 2012 02:35 AM Re: Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems [Re: mehaul]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Do you empty your browser caches fairly regularly? If not done recently, you could try doing that. Problems can occur if a browser's cache is too full.

#830993 - Thu Oct 11 2012 05:17 PM Re: Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems [Re: tellywellies]
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
FireFox seems to solve my problems. I've had no crashes, hangs or ! screens so far. No loading slowdowns.

Clearing Chrome's browser cache didn't solve the loading problem. At this point I don't care unless I find problems with FireFox.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Happy Browser Solutions!

#830998 - Thu Oct 11 2012 05:25 PM Re: Facebook Shockwave/Flash Problems [Re: JMElston]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
JM, a couple of add-on suggestions if you are going to use Firefox. The first being NoScript and the second being AdBlock Plus. NoScript takes a bit of time to get the hang of/understand, but is very useful. Links below. These are basically privacy add-ons, but also help to block malicious scripts and ads from infecting your system with malware.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/

Moderator:  ladymacb29