Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#634277 - Wed Jun 15 2011 05:57 PM What are you Reading mark2
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I only started this new thread as the other was a bit long.
Just a reminder, although most of us do....remember to tell us a bit about the book you mention, likes and dislikes etc. Thanks all.

#634372 - Thu Jun 16 2011 07:49 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
When I moved to a new province I only took the one book with me (the rest will follow, eventually), but thankfully it's three books in one: the Icewind Dale trilogy by R. A. Salvatore. I'm currently reading Book 2, Streams of Silver, in which Drizzt, Bruenor, Wulfgar and Regis trek across the northlands in search of Bruenor's ancenstral home of Mithral Hall. I'm at an exciting part, too: after being denied entrance at Nesmé because of Drizzt's drow heritage, the companions shortcut across the Evermoors (nicknamed the Trollmoors, for good reason!) to shorten their distance to Silverymoon. This... was not a wise decision.

While I am very fond of Salvatore's work, especially his stories about Drizzt Do'Urden, I am fairly disappointed with the book, The Legend of Drizzt Collector's Edition, Book II, which was a reprint of the original trilogy featuring Drizzt and his companions. There are so many annoying mistakes that should have been caught by the editors. "Had" written as "hid", "the principal city" written as "principle". If I recall correctly, at a point farther along one of the main characters' names is misspelled as Wijlfgar. There were many, many more errors as well. frown

Edit to add:
Wizards of the Coast (the publishing company) should have a correction note system like FunTrivia's!

Edited by LadyCaitriona (Thu Jun 16 2011 07:54 AM)

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#634378 - Thu Jun 16 2011 08:06 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: LadyCaitriona]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I really don't get to read as much as I used to, but my mom gave me a neat book that is the story of family life and a dog's life told from the perspective of the dog. So far The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is a good read.

#635054 - Sun Jun 19 2011 12:21 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ClaraSue]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
I'm currently reading, at a very slow pace, The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. It's the prequel to Oryx and Crake and while it is as well written as Atwood's books always are, it hasn't engaged me in the way the previous book did. Possibly it's because of the multiple person narrative that was a little confusing at the start of the book - as a consequence, I don't feel I really know the characters that well, a third of the way into the book.

On a purely FT-related side note, O&C was given to me because the central character's name was Snowman. In YotF, one of the central characters is called ren smile

#635071 - Sun Jun 19 2011 01:53 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Snowman]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Ooooer Fame at last! All I can say is Ms Atwood has excellent taste.

#635458 - Mon Jun 20 2011 12:48 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

I have two books on the go... the one mentioned above for a bit of light reading before bed and now I've also started reading The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum.

I'm enjoying the story so far. I saw the movie several years ago but don't remember much about the story, except that it's about a guy with amnesia.

#641314 - Fri Jul 15 2011 10:22 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: LadyCaitriona]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
The Clothes on Their Backs Linda Grant. I only just heard of this one, passed to me by a friend. It is very promising indeed. It is the story of Vivien, who is the child of rather insular Hungarian Jewish parents, brought up in London in the sixties. It is bringing back a lot of familiar sights and sounds of London at that time, Rachmanism etc. So far I am enjoying it.

#641585 - Sun Jul 17 2011 12:43 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
I read that last year, and I had forgotten all about it! I enjoyed it, but I've lent it to someone in my reading circle, so I can't say more about it.

I've just finished 'Last Chance to Die' by Noah Boyd, which I started with high expectations - he's an ex FBI agent who's worked on some really high profile cases, but it took me a LONG time to read - I'm not sure whether it was the small font or whether the story was just too complicated, but I wasn't gripped. However I then turned to the latest Peter James book, 'Dead Man's Grip' and I'm sailing through it. It reads easily, is a compulsive page-turner, and he blends several plotlines beautifully. Occasionally his dialogue jars slightly, but the plot and characterisation more than make up for that. I've read all his Roy Grace series, and even go to the extent of buying them in hardback as soon as they come out. Highly recommended if you enjoy detective fiction!

#641613 - Sun Jul 17 2011 04:44 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: MaggieG]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Oh, I just read my first Peter James book a couple weeks ago (can't remember the name, it was the one where the guy disappeared in 9/11) and liked it a lot. If you recommend the series as a whole, I'll give a few more of them a try.

#643065 - Mon Jul 25 2011 08:25 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Dare I admit I just finished the Percy Jackson series? I got them on my Kindle and they were dirt cheap so I thought I'd give them a go and then the kids can read them. They were ok, some funny moments and plenty of action to keep them moving along. Not a lot of effort required, so they made good holiday reading smile
The latest George RR Martin one is here "A Dance With Dragons" - we've been waiting years for it to come out, it's the fifth huge volume in his "Song of Ice and Fire" series (they recently televised the first one) and I'm trying to summon the energy to pick it up - it is HUGE and must weigh a good five or six pounds, so just holding it up is a bit of an effort!

#643114 - Mon Jul 25 2011 04:35 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Rowena8482]
agony Offline

Administrator

I've been listening to Stuart McBride's "Logan McRae" police procedurals, and just loving them. Pretty good mysteries, and the characters are hilarious. DI Steele has got to be my new favourite fictional character.

They are set in Aberdeen, and a big part of the appeal is that the readers for the audiobooks do a great Aberdeen accent.

Edited by agony (Mon Jul 25 2011 04:36 PM)

#657767 - Sat Oct 01 2011 04:42 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
I'm in a classics mood, so I'm reading White Fang by Jack London at the moment. I read The Call of the Wild and loved it, so I decided to try this one. It is a bit slow moving at the start, which made me think it would be a boring novel, not at all like The Call of the Wild, but when the action kicks in, it is gripping and exciting!

#657772 - Sat Oct 01 2011 05:23 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Daaanieeel]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I've just milled through Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth blockbuster ... in four days. I guess you could say I enjoyed it!

I was looking for a novel for school for my daughter, and kind of drifted over to the 'foreign books' section, where Follet's book was sitting sadly neglected on an otherwise empty shelf. Having had no fresh English reading material since late spring I decided to buy it without even reading the splurge on the back cover. Probably as well off, as it happens, as I might never have bought the book had I read it. A book which tells the tale of the construction of a gothic cathederal by a 12th century monk, over a period of thirty or so years, in Medieval times, just doesn't grip my attention that much.

How wrong was I!!! I found the character development to be pretty good, good enough to keep me interested. Likewise, the historical and political issues of the time were adressed in a simple straightforward manner, perfectly adequate for my passing interest, and all in all it was a very satisfying read. Now I admit that I am not rushing out to buy the sequel, but when it crosses my path, I'm pretty sure I'll end up with it on my shelf too.

My biggest gripe? There were sex scenes and scenes of violence which were totally necessary to the plot, but there were many occurences of the same where I felt it was gratuitous and superfluous to advancing the tale, and that annoyed me a little, not enough to dull my enthusiasm for the book, mind you.

Edited by Santana2002 (Sat Oct 01 2011 05:26 AM)

#657792 - Sat Oct 01 2011 07:04 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
agony Offline

Administrator

I've been rereading "Flashman" and the rest of the series, speaking of gratuitous sex and violence. Now, of course, in the case of Harry Flashman, while these scenes may not advance the plot, they most definitely establish the character!

For those who are not familiar with this unique series, Flashman is a cad and a bounder, a coward, bully, and womanizer who snivels and cheats his way through almost every interesting military and political encounter in Victorian times. Very very funny, very very well researched and fascinating to anyone with an interest in history. And pretty darned offensive if you don't take it with tongue just as deep in the cheek as the author - he really is a terrible fellow, and it's hard to understand why we like him so much.

#657854 - Sat Oct 01 2011 11:02 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

A reread for me of this fabulous, fast-paced book. It has something for everyone (it's long enough, lol). It's an enthralling story of love, dastardly deeds, hidden treasure and revenge, set mainly in Europe from Italy to France. Lengthy but worth every minute.

Whether you're reading it now or have read it in the past, join us October 10th at the FunTrivia Book Club thread!

#657907 - Sat Oct 01 2011 05:13 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Dagny1]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
Beatrice and Virgil, The latest book by
Yann Martel,
Author of 'Life of Pi'.
Just started it ,no comments about it yet.

#658050 - Sun Oct 02 2011 03:34 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: george48]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Just finished 31 Bond Street by Ellen Horan. It's a fictionalised account of a famous and scandalous murder and trial in New York in the 1850s. Told partly in the present and partly in flashback it engages from the word go, and the final revelation is one that you just didn't see coming at all.

#658137 - Sun Oct 02 2011 09:17 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Christinap]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Thanks Christina! I immediately ordered from BookD no postage so about 4 pounds!

#658188 - Mon Oct 03 2011 06:25 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Because I remember enjoying reading Zane Grey's books as a teenager, I have been downloading them on my Kindle. Have reread "Riders of the Purple Sage" set in Utah, "The Call of the Canyon" set in Arizona, and "The Mysterious Rider" set in Colorado. These are Western love stories in which Grey uses interesting descriptive narration of the settings. I admit to enjoying them once again!

#658207 - Mon Oct 03 2011 08:03 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Hope you enjoy it ren.

#658221 - Mon Oct 03 2011 11:28 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
I've just milled through Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth blockbuster ... in four days. I guess you could say I enjoyed it!

I was looking for a novel for school for my daughter, and kind of drifted over to the 'foreign books' section, where Follet's book was sitting sadly neglected on an otherwise empty shelf. Having had no fresh English reading material since late spring I decided to buy it without even reading the splurge on the back cover. Probably as well off, as it happens, as I might never have bought the book had I read it. A book which tells the tale of the construction of a gothic cathederal by a 12th century monk, over a period of thirty or so years, in Medieval times, just doesn't grip my attention that much.

How wrong was I!!! I found the character development to be pretty good, good enough to keep me interested. Likewise, the historical and political issues of the time were adressed in a simple straightforward manner, perfectly adequate for my passing interest, and all in all it was a very satisfying read. Now I admit that I am not rushing out to buy the sequel, but when it crosses my path, I'm pretty sure I'll end up with it on my shelf too.

My biggest gripe? There were sex scenes and scenes of violence which were totally necessary to the plot, but there were many occurences of the same where I felt it was gratuitous and superfluous to advancing the tale, and that annoyed me a little, not enough to dull my enthusiasm for the book, mind you.

Pillars of the Earth in four days? There should be some kind of achievement badge for that! It's been a long while since I read it, but I seem to remember feeling the same way about sex/violence scenes not doing anything to further the plot or characters.

Since unpacking all of my books which have been in storage for about eight years, I've decided to re-read my Dragonlance collection from when I was a teenager. After that I might re-read my Dean Koontz collection, which was another adolescent favourite.

#667578 - Sat Nov 12 2011 10:54 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: LadyCaitriona]
agony Offline

Administrator

Chaim Potok's "The Chosen" - a wonderful book. Probably this means I'll also be rereading "The Promise" which follows the main characters a few years later. Who knew that the study of Talmud would be such a great human story?

#667835 - Sun Nov 13 2011 11:46 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Rowena8482]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: Rowena8482
Dare I admit I just finished the Percy Jackson series? I got them on my Kindle and they were dirt cheap so I thought I'd give them a go and then the kids can read them. They were ok, some funny moments and plenty of action to keep them moving along. Not a lot of effort required, so they made good holiday reading smile
The latest George RR Martin one is here "A Dance With Dragons" - we've been waiting years for it to come out, it's the fifth huge volume in his "Song of Ice and Fire" series (they recently televised the first one) and I'm trying to summon the energy to pick it up - it is HUGE and must weigh a good five or six pounds, so just holding it up is a bit of an effort!

Totally enjoyed the Percy Jackson books. Have you tried the Hunger Games series yet? Better.

#667837 - Sun Nov 13 2011 11:49 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: bubblesfun]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Oh,and I just finished re-reading Parting the Waters. Taylor Branch is a genius with the touch.

#667996 - Mon Nov 14 2011 06:32 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: bubblesfun]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Just finished Charles de Lint's 'The Blue Girl", not bad at all, especially for a 'teen' oriented book. I always do enjoy his spin on fantasy, integrating it to regular, modern urban life. It gets a thumbs up from me.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom