Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#831239 - Sat Oct 13 2012 09:55 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Tizzabelle]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Get thee behind me thou temptress!

#831270 - Sat Oct 13 2012 12:02 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: flopsymopsy]
seadancer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
I do see the problems involved.

BTW, I must clarify here that I didn't mean that a Champ might be moved out of the Champ division against his will. He has earned the designation and deserves it.

But let's say that a frustrated Champ voluntarily chose to move down from the Champ designation. In that case, as someone said, he might dominate his new division. That doesn't seem fair either.

This issue sounds like a Catch-22. I'm sorry I mentioned it. LOL

Interesting conversation, nevertheless. smile

BTW, Salami_swami, thanks for clarifying.

---Sea

#832055 - Tue Oct 16 2012 04:31 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: seadancer]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Is it time for a Champs division in Mind Melt? WAI was subdivided a long time ago. There are almost as many players every day in each game. Over 320 MM Monthly winners puts a lot of 'Champs' at the top of the sets, reaping the lion's share of MM points.
There are many who have a real tough time with this game, and never see the top 10 in a set, even on a good day.

#832100 - Tue Oct 16 2012 06:11 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: ssabreman]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Yes please! I would absolutely love a champ division for mind melt!

#832873 - Fri Oct 19 2012 06:20 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: salami_swami]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Put me down as a yea vote on that idea. MM really could use a Champs division.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#832876 - Fri Oct 19 2012 06:32 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: cubswin2323]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Put me down as a "they must be out of their minds" - don't do it!

#832877 - Fri Oct 19 2012 06:36 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: flopsymopsy]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Yep. I'm crazy. Crazy like a fox! LOL

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#832920 - Fri Oct 19 2012 11:08 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: cubswin2323]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Call me crazy!

#832947 - Sat Oct 20 2012 12:53 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: salami_swami]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
You're crazy.:D

#832960 - Sat Oct 20 2012 02:55 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: salami_swami]
gracious1 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Yes please! I would absolutely love a champ division for mind melt!

I would like that, too!

#833152 - Sun Oct 21 2012 12:20 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: gracious1]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

I'm for it mainly becuase of the 50K badge, I know as an FMI guy that it would be unfair to put "regular" people in the same division as us champs. MM is pretty much just as difficult to master as FMI. if not more so. It 's VERY difficut for "regular" people to win a division against the vocab savants. I'm pretty good, but I'll never be as good as Rob (robert326), Trav, (klinsky1987) and Jack. (Da Bomb). It would be like a regular player playing against me in FMI. There's a good reason why Champs divisions are established. It gives the "regular" guy a shot, too.

#833224 - Sun Oct 21 2012 07:24 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: cubswin2323]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Gosh. I don't think I've ever seen the word "regular" used so much in one paragraph that wasn't about bran muffins lol.

#833225 - Sun Oct 21 2012 07:28 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Jakeroo]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Another corner beckons?! lol! Oh dear, I guess I had better get comfortable in it. Maybe buy a beanbag.

#833226 - Sun Oct 21 2012 07:43 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Chavs]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
Beans would make you regular!

#833228 - Sun Oct 21 2012 07:55 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: dippo]
themonarch Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Southeastern Connecticut USA
I'd vote for champion divisions in Mind Melt but only because every other hourly/daily game that has sets and the proper badges already have it, this is the odd one out. Personally I never liked having hourly games having divisions, I was around when there was a time you actually had to beat everybody to get a badge and when you did it was quite the accomplishment. It's much easier for "regular" people to win most of the competitive hourly/daily badges because of it. Didn't mean to derail this with my rant, I do like the divisions in the daily games because they do randomly put people in them and everyone has the same questions so you know who's the best player for the day.

#834002 - Wed Oct 24 2012 09:10 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: themonarch]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

When I use the term, "regular:, I'm talking about those who aren't super-ardent-MM players (I mentioned FMI. I would be called super-ardent-FMI!) MM should have a special place for those for the super-good, just like in so many of the other games.

#834003 - Wed Oct 24 2012 09:16 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: cubswin2323]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Achievement, Division-win, Monthly win (VERY hard for many!) and 5 K win (also super-tough!) Vets don't get the return now, but new players do. Vets play in a much-tougher division, and get less return It's easier for a new player to get a monthly MM than a vet now I f the super-vets are put in a Champs division, Regular vets can also compete Not as well as new players, but a better chance/

#834008 - Wed Oct 24 2012 09:47 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: themonarch]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
Originally Posted By: themonarch
I'd vote for champion divisions in Mind Melt but only because every other hourly/daily game that has sets and the proper badges already have it, this is the odd one out.

Pot Of Gold doesn't, and I don't see people whining about making that game easier for "regular" people to win. Ditto for the World Game. Anybody going to lobby for that game to be made easier?

The fact is that these games should not be made easier for anybody to win. Can't win something? Tough. I'm not going to win Tuesday or Thursday in POG any time soon, but you'll never see me asking to move anybody into a quarantine. I'd rather get rid of all champion divisions and let everybody play everybody the way we used to.

Originally Posted By: themonarch
I do like the divisions in the daily games because they do randomly put people in them and everyone has the same questions so you know who's the best player for the day.

You would think so, right?

#834013 - Wed Oct 24 2012 10:49 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Anton]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

GM games like Pot of Gold do not enter into this discussion. This is about the MM and having it set up equally like all the hourlies and Who Am I. When newbies and those in the lower levels gain an unfair advantage by being grouped in smaller sets of players from the lower levels, they gain far more MM points than the vets. It's not about the wins, but about the point totals. See who leads the monthly standings. Look at the winning scores in sets 6-15 or thereabouts. If they can be grouped in the lower sets, so should the 'champs'. Or else have everyone placed randomly across the entire sets. It doesn't seem like a level playing field.

#834014 - Wed Oct 24 2012 11:08 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: ssabreman]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
Originally Posted By: ssabreman
GM games like Pot of Gold do not enter into this discussion.

Why not? It's basically the same thing. People who have won all the badges should be quarantined like the other games, right? That's what I keep hearing when I read the last page of posts about Mind Melt. Kick out all the people who have all the badges and allow others to win or gain more points so they can win another badge.

This is about the MM and having it set up equally like all the hourlies and Who Am I.

You do know that the champs got royally screwed in Who Am I right? Is it fair that champs might have to wait years to get the big points badge and others it might only take months?

When newbies and those in the lower levels gain an unfair advantage by being grouped in smaller sets of players from the lower levels, they gain far more MM points than the vets. It's not about the wins, but about the point totals. See who leads the monthly standings. Look at the winning scores in sets 6-15 or thereabouts. If they can be grouped in the lower sets, so should the 'champs'. Or else have everyone placed randomly across the entire sets. It doesn't seem like a level playing field.

I agree here. Noobs shouldn't be winning anything big before a veteran. They should have to go through the best just like all the old timers had to. But this conversation didn't come up as noobs winning points. It started out by you suggesting the better Mind Melt players get kicked to a set all of their own because they are better than others and, rightfully so, they earn more points than them. Why should mediocrity ever be rewarded?

#834026 - Wed Oct 24 2012 11:45 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Anton]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

GM games do not have divisions. There are only a third as many people playing Pot of Gold as there is in MM or WaI. And the players are very equally spread across the sets. No streaming of newbies or champs.
My comment about newbies winning more points than vets was to add support to the idea of streaming 'champs', like they are in all the hourlies and WaI. If the newbies are kept in their lower sets in MM, then champs should be set apart as well. Either that, or nobody gets preferential treatment.

But you have all the badges in MM so it shouldn't matter to you, should it? You can play with the best and beat them as easily as the feeding off the lesser lights, right? The divisions were set up to give the weaker players a chance to win a few things. Not to win everything, but to have a chance against similar strength players. It's not happening in MM.

#834053 - Thu Oct 25 2012 03:47 AM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: ssabreman]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I think we should have a "Chump" division. I might even get a badge there LOL

#834473 - Fri Oct 26 2012 07:10 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Jakeroo]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

POG is different in that there's no monthly badge involved. It's set on a weekly basis. Also, like World, it's a GM game, unlike the other games which have champs divisions.

MM has been around for over 2 1/2 years. I'd like to think there would be enough players who'd quallfy to make up a division or two. I believe the time for a champions division has arrived.

Edited by cubswin2323 (Fri Oct 26 2012 07:11 PM)

#834474 - Fri Oct 26 2012 07:14 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: cubswin2323]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

To clarify Darryl's point, The GM daily games DO have divisions, but they're not divvied up acccording to your Level. You just get one of 15 random group quizzes, regardless of Level. MM is based on a person's Level.

Edited by cubswin2323 (Fri Oct 26 2012 07:15 PM)

#834475 - Fri Oct 26 2012 07:24 PM Re: About the CHAMP Classification [Re: Jakeroo]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Gosh. I don't think I've ever seen the word "regular" used so much in one paragraph that wasn't about bran muffins lol.

Sorry. Maybe I should have used "more casual", instead. One glitch in my writing also is I'll use a word more than a couple of times. I should have mixed it up. Thanks.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Terry