Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 30 of 93 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
#830763 - Wed Oct 10 2012 04:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
While I can see your point Kaddarsgirl, the day I got a Nemesis challenge was a day it was impossible for me to take the challenge on. I was on holidays and had other things to do. I did a some editing in the morning until my USB internet service slowed down to molasses in winter speed and that was about it for the day. I could have played quizzes but I had other things to do smile If I get the Nemesis next time on a day when I'm working I'll be lucky to score more than a few thousand points as I work 12 hours shifts. Throw in travel time, sleep time etc and it makes for a short FT day. All in all, I'm a good opponent to go against at least 50% of the time despite my level and points tally wink

#830774 - Wed Oct 10 2012 06:03 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Tizzabelle]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I've got the play a new quiz within 20 minutes of it coming on line challenge today. I've not had time to spend a lot of time on FT today until the last few hours and there hasn't been a single new quiz come up in the last three hours, and only four have gone on the last five hours. Now 1am here so giving up on this one.

#830778 - Wed Oct 10 2012 07:52 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Christinap]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
I see that the Daily Adventurer badges are being handed out so presumably there have been 20 days of challenges. My scoresheet says the following:

Completions: Easy: 17, Medium: 18, Difficult: 14, Epic: 1
Challenges Complete: 50, Credits earned: 83

I don't think I've missed any easy or medium challenges, I've missed possibly two difficult and I've traded twice. Now I'm wondering why I wouldn't have more easy and medium challenges as I'm pretty sure I haven't missed a day since they came online. Is there any way of checking?

#830779 - Wed Oct 10 2012 08:10 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I have: Easy: 18, Medium: 18, Difficult: 14 I've missed at least one day.

With purchasing challenges, it is definitely possible to have 20 of each right now, especially if none of the bought challenges were Epics, and assuming they could all be completed.

#830782 - Wed Oct 10 2012 08:19 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
I have: Easy: 18, Medium: 18, Difficult: 14 I've missed at least one day.

With purchasing challenges, it is definitely possible to have 20 of each right now, especially if none of the bought challenges were Epics, and assuming they could all be completed.

I see what you mean kaddarsgirl...thanks for the clarification.

#830786 - Wed Oct 10 2012 09:23 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Christinap]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
Originally Posted By: Christinap
I've got the play a new quiz within 20 minutes of it coming on line challenge today. I've not had time to spend a lot of time on FT today until the last few hours and there hasn't been a single new quiz come up in the last three hours, and only four have gone on the last five hours. Now 1am here so giving up on this one.

I had this as well, waste of time and space. I've learnt now if I have it again to get rid of it straight away which will give me a chance on another challenge or just ignore it altogether. mad

Apart from one quiz all the other quizzes posted today were within a two hour time frame so if you didn't happen to be on the computer then, you have no chance with this challenge.

Edited by Starlord (Wed Oct 10 2012 09:25 PM)

#830788 - Wed Oct 10 2012 09:47 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Another two just went on recently.

#830789 - Wed Oct 10 2012 09:53 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
I've not had time to spend a lot of time on FT today until the last few hours and there hasn't been a single new quiz come up in the last three hours, and only four have gone on the last five hours.

One of my challenges today was to get a 9-letter word in Word Wizard. If I had no letters to begin, I'd need to be on (at minimum) nine hours in one day to have a remote chance of passing the challenge.

Sure, editors can't always place quizzes online at any given time (sometimes, the submissions in the queue just aren't ready), but there are always going to be challenges with which you'll need to devote more time and effort into getting. Sometimes that's just not feasible.

And then there'll be people who groan when that quiz they find on the Buzz within twenty minutes is in Video Games. Can't win em all. wink

#830790 - Wed Oct 10 2012 10:01 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive

One of my challenges today was to get a 9-letter word in Word Wizard. If I had no letters to begin, I'd need to be on (at minimum) nine hours in one day to have a remote chance of passing the challenge.

Sure, editors can't always place quizzes online at any given time (sometimes, the submissions in the queue just aren't ready), but there are always going to be challenges with which you'll need to devote more time and effort into getting. Sometimes that's just not feasible.

And then there'll be people who groan when that quiz they find on the Buzz within twenty minutes is in Video Games. Can't win em all. wink

I agree to a certain extent, but with Word Wizard, the choice is still in your own hands whether to play the hours needed. With the quizzes, you have no power, as I learned after waiting more than 16 hours for a quiz to be added the other day, lol. It worked out fine, but it could be that new quizzes are not added for a full 24 hour period, right? It almost seems like that challenge almost falls more into the category of not assigning Global Challenge games when there is no GC running.

#830795 - Wed Oct 10 2012 10:13 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bubblesfun]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

I don't think I've seen a day in a very, very, very, very long time (if at all) without *any* quizzes going online. Some days may have fewer than others, but that's a bit out of our control-- sometimes, like I said, it's a matter of the submissions in particular queues needing fixes and sometimes, perhaps an editor needed a day off.

I cant recall, but out of curiosity, is the 'Play in first 20 mins.' challenge a Hard one?

If so, Hard is Hard. I've managed to avoid any asking for the Crystal Ball thus far, but I know they're out there. I'd take my chances with the Buzz any day over the CB.

And like I said, sometimes they're not feasible for some people to be online for them; some people can't meet the Global Challenge times for the same reason. The challenges are random, and somedays we're going to feel the brunt of them over others (like me, today, with Word Wizard and top 5 in Heroes in one of my worst categories).

#830796 - Wed Oct 10 2012 10:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bubblesfun]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
The only time I can recall a day when absolutely no quizzes went online was when we used to have a Christmas sabbatical, and quiz writing was shut down for the holidays. Even then I think quizzes already in the queue could be put online if the editors were available. The only problem I see with this challenge is the pressure that some editors might feel to fast track quizzes that might not be ready. (Not that any of us would, we just might feel the pressure to do so.)

Twenty-one quizzes have gone online in the past 24 hours. Surely that doesn't equate to a GC shutdown?

#830797 - Wed Oct 10 2012 10:16 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: spanishliz]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
One of my challenges today was to get a 9-letter word in Word Wizard.

Lucky me-- got it with two hours to spare. wink

#830814 - Wed Oct 10 2012 11:39 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
I've managed to avoid any asking for the Crystal Ball thus far, but I know they're out there. I'd take my chances with the Buzz any day over the CB.

I've had that challenge twice. I managed to win it yesterday (there is a trivia God) but the first time I received the challenge I didn't. Such is life.. but did I have to win Crystal Ball the first hour of the day after my challenge? What can you do but laugh? laugh

#830819 - Thu Oct 11 2012 12:50 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: spanishliz]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: spanishliz
The only time I can recall a day when absolutely no quizzes went online was when we used to have a Christmas sabbatical, and quiz writing was shut down for the holidays. Even then I think quizzes already in the queue could be put online if the editors were available. The only problem I see with this challenge is the pressure that some editors might feel to fast track quizzes that might not be ready. (Not that any of us would, we just might feel the pressure to do so.)

Twenty-one quizzes have gone online in the past 24 hours. Surely that doesn't equate to a GC shutdown?

No, 21 quizzes in 24 hours is certainly not equivalent to a GC shut down. That was today, and that is amazing. But, as I said, I went through a full 16 hours without a new quiz the other day, which is well beyond having to play 9 hours of a game. Looking for a balance that is fair to players.

#830823 - Thu Oct 11 2012 01:39 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
AlanHill2306 Offline
Explorer

Loc: London UK but working in China
I completed the Easy Challenge which was to score at least 50% in the Brain Twist game. I scored 3 out of 5 which is 60% but it hasn't awarded me the Funtrivia credit and still shows as incomplete. Maybe it's a timing issue as I did it shortly after midnight but I should still get the credit.

UPDATE The new day has now begun and I didn't get the credit even though I met the requirements. So there is a problem.

Edited by AlanHill2306 (Fri Oct 12 2012 12:33 AM)

#830832 - Thu Oct 11 2012 02:59 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: AlanHill2306]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
I reckon I've got two chances of a new quiz going online when I can play it, in between going to bed and going to work, that is, and those chances are buckleys and none smile

Oh well, it happens I suppose!

#830864 - Thu Oct 11 2012 08:19 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bubbatom1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
If you don't like the challenge to play a quiz within 20 minutes, my suggestion is to not do it. But please, do not come here and complain about it being "unfair". It is perfectly fair; it's listed as a hard challenge, and it is different than most challenges because a bit of luck plays into it. If you happen to be unlucky enough to not see any new quizzes online for 16 hours, I do not see how that is the challenge's problem. It's just crumby luck.

We most certainly are not expected to win them all, and if this challenge seems to be the one you cannot win, so be it. Move on; there are plenty of other challenges for you to enjoy.

#830870 - Thu Oct 11 2012 09:25 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

The problem is I suspect most Funtrivia editors are in America and Futrivia is a global website and people in other timezones have to sleep sometime during the 24 hour period. Upto 9:23PM Funtrivia time there had been only 9 new quizzes an 8 of them were in a 2 hour time span. As I said before in future I shall just ignore the challenge.

#830871 - Thu Oct 11 2012 09:46 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I'd actually think editor's are pretty evenly distributed. We have several from Australia (three come to mind immediately), one is from Germany, several are from UK, and, as far as I can tell, not as many as one would suspect from Canada and US.

I think it's fairly evenly distributed. smile

#830894 - Thu Oct 11 2012 11:43 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
The problem is I suspect most Funtrivia editors are in America and Futrivia is a global website and people in other timezones have to sleep sometime during the 24 hour period.

This isn't really the case. Only about a third of our editors are in the U.S. (across the whole thing). The rest are from Canada, Australia, the UK, other parts of Europe, etc. Not to mention, some like me are up at odd hours (I was on until about 3am FST last night) so it can be a bit of a mixed bag.

Also, there's one that just went up in Movies.

Edited by kyleisalive (Thu Oct 11 2012 11:44 AM)

#830916 - Thu Oct 11 2012 01:35 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
The challenge in question is correctly labelled difficult.

#830920 - Thu Oct 11 2012 01:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
If you don't like the challenge to play a quiz within 20 minutes, my suggestion is to not do it. But please, do not come here and complain about it being "unfair". It is perfectly fair; it's listed as a hard challenge, and it is different than most challenges because a bit of luck plays into it. If you happen to be unlucky enough to not see any new quizzes online for 16 hours, I do not see how that is the challenge's problem. It's just crumby luck.

We most certainly are not expected to win them all, and if this challenge seems to be the one you cannot win, so be it. Move on; there are plenty of other challenges for you to enjoy.

I wasn't complaining, I just wrote that I had two chances of winning that one. Could you please point out where I used the word "unfair" please, because I sure can't find it?

#830937 - Thu Oct 11 2012 02:23 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bubbatom1]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: bubbatom1
Originally Posted By: salami_swami

I wasn't complaining, I just wrote that I had two chances of winning that one. Could you please point out where I used the word "unfair" please, because I sure can't find it?

I think salami is just referencing everyone in general, as you aren't the first one to bring this post up. And others have used the word "unfair".

I had that one once. There were quizzes that came online, but I didn't want to do a book by some author I've never heard of, or some punk band. So I didn't play, and didn't win it. Next day.

#830938 - Thu Oct 11 2012 02:25 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: George95]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Yes, I was by no means responding to your post, BubbaTom. I was making a general statement; it just was replied to yours since yours was the last post to have been made. smile

#831042 - Thu Oct 11 2012 11:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

I decided to scrap my difficult challenge on Television as I thought it was unfair on the authors having to rate their quizzes poor or very poor.

Edited by Starlord (Thu Oct 11 2012 11:31 PM)

Page 30 of 93 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 92 93 >

Moderator:  Terry