Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 24 of 93 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
#829232 - Wed Oct 03 2012 05:47 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
collybird Offline
Participant

Loc: Angus-Forfarshire Scotland UK 
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
Originally Posted By: collybird
I've finally been defeated! My Difficult challenge today is to finish in the Top 4 of my Triathlon division, I am nowhere close!

I had that one two days ago I think. I'm never anywhere close...it doesn't help that I suck at the Mixed trivia. I didn't even bother with that one and just let it expire. Even when I was playing those games all the time in the summer, I still never made it up that high.

I'm reluctantly calling it a day now and I've never even come close frown I think at best I was in the Top 25 at one point. I'm in awe at others' scores.

My hardest challenge yet.

#829248 - Wed Oct 03 2012 08:17 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Originally Posted By: Terry
Originally Posted By: bushidox
or at the least make beating a personal best a difficult category, as that seems more in line with the challenge level.

You got unlucky! That challenge just takes a random recent score of yours (minus any that the system deems to be unfairly low).

Couldn't you add a "minus any that the system deems to be unfairly high" to this to make it a little easier?

#829249 - Wed Oct 03 2012 08:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: nautilator]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: nautilator
Originally Posted By: bushidox
or at the least make beating a personal best a difficult category, as that seems more in line with the challenge level.

You got unlucky! That challenge just takes a random recent score of yours (minus any that the system deems to be unfairly low).

Couldn't you add a "minus any that the system deems to be unfairly high" to this to make it a little easier?

The problem with any it deems "too high" is that a LOT of people only get very high scores. Also, I think, if the higher scores were removed, it wouldn't be a challenge to complete it anymore (it would be an activity), especially not at the Medium/High difficulty levels where the challenges currently exist.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Wed Oct 03 2012 09:03 PM)

#829250 - Wed Oct 03 2012 08:32 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA

Did I get away with something? This challenge has been discussed before, but it doesn't look like it's been fixed as desired.

The challenge is: "Play 2 new player-created quizzes that are added to FunTrivia today, scoring at least 50% in each."

Well, it counted a bot-created quiz, Animal Mix, as valid! So I got credit for completing the challenge even though I had only played one new player-created quiz.

(This is a challenge I purchased today hoping for an Epic. Darn.) smirk

In case it's relevant, I had already played the Animal quiz to fulfill a challenge to play a new mixed (bot-created) quiz, and it counted it properly for that one.

Edited by gracious1 (Wed Oct 03 2012 08:35 PM)

#829273 - Thu Oct 04 2012 01:18 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Midget40]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
My difficult challenge today is to win the Buzy Bee. I already have this badge so if I play the Buzy Bee quiz do I get the credits?

#829274 - Thu Oct 04 2012 01:18 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: playmate1111]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: playmate1111
My difficult challenge today is to win the Buzy Bee. I already have this badge so if I play the Buzy Bee quiz do I get the credits?

Yup-- the goal is to find the bee again.

#829276 - Thu Oct 04 2012 01:46 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
I just thought I'd mention an issue I've got with one small aspect of some Challenges, and see if anyone else has a similar problem.

Is there any reason (other than to provide variety) why some of the challenges specify which "mode" you should play in? It's just that my PC doesn't allow me to play in "Quiz Game" or "Flash" modes (apparently it's a security setup issue, and no, I can't change it).

Before the Challenges came along, this hasn't been a problem (I've just played happily in HTML) but a couple of times now I've been unable to complete a challenge because it specifies doing a quiz in "Game" mode. Today, it's my "difficult" challenge that does this, and it's starting to get frustrating!

Is there any possibility of this "mode" distinction being removed? I don't quite see the point of it, since the quizzes are the same whichever way you play. Or is it something to do with the way the "Quiz Game" mode scores things?

I guess if it's just me, then I'll grit my teeth and put up with it, but I just wondered if anyone else is in the same position.

#829277 - Thu Oct 04 2012 02:41 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: stedman]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
The challenges are terrific and gives us something extra to aim for, so thanks for that Terry!

However, after discussion with other members of my team, some of us were wondering. Why do we keep getting the same ones? Alright, we don't get them the next day, but we get them the day after. I think all up, off the top of my head, I've had about 9 - 12 different challenges since it started. So, based on the assumption it's been going for about a week and a half and based on the fact there are 3 different levels plus epics, I should have gotten about 90+ different challenges, perhaps .... maybe?

Maths was never my strong point smile

What do we have to do to get an epic challenge? The only challenges I've bought using credits have been the regular levels.

But, whinge time over, thanks again for creating this smile

#829278 - Thu Oct 04 2012 02:45 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bubbatom1]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Just went back to my team pages after writing the previous message, and one of my members has posted "THIRD NEMESIS IN ONE WEEK! This is too stressful". Just thought I would let you know smile

#829279 - Thu Oct 04 2012 02:46 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bubbatom1]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Originally Posted By: bubbatom1

What do we have to do to get an epic challenge? The only challenges I've bought using credits have been the regular levels.

It is stated somewhere that you can only purchase an Epic challenge. It's also stated somewhere that you don't know what you will get when you purchase a new challenge. So basically it's random as to whether you buy a 'normal' challenge or an Epic one. People have won some of the Epics so the assumption is that they can be bought. You might just have to buy a few more before one shows up for you.

#829282 - Thu Oct 04 2012 02:59 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Lones78]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
My easy challenge was to score perfectly on an average rated quiz. I have not played any quizzes today as yet but challenge showing complete.

Only thing I have played and got a 10/10 was one of the Newest Mixed Quizzes, which I did not think should count for this challenge as challenge said it must be a user quiz.

Hope this makes sense

#829285 - Thu Oct 04 2012 03:43 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: pmarney]
WesleyCrusher Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Epics are rarer than other difficulties when you buy new challenges. This is intentional - we do want it to be unpredictable and special to get one.

#829287 - Thu Oct 04 2012 03:46 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

That's fair enough Wes, but why are we still getting the same challenges? I know it's not just team members and myself this happening to.

#829289 - Thu Oct 04 2012 04:00 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bubbatom1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Random is random - you could roll two dice and get double six ten times in a row, although it is very unlikely. To guarantee an even spread, it would be necessary to 'unrandimize' it.

#829290 - Thu Oct 04 2012 04:00 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: bubbatom1]

Administrator

Bubba, there are about 30 different challenges per difficulty. So for any one difficulty, your probability to get two at the shortest possible distance from each other (2 days apart) is 1/30 or, over all 3 difficulties, 1/10.

For the chance to see a repeat challenge within 4 days, you have 3 times that chance (days 1 and 3, 1 and 4, or 2 and 4), almost 30%. It's even higher when you consider buys.

It's a side effect of randomness - one in three players will see a challenge twice when playing the game 4 days in a row.

The only way out of this will be more different challenges, something that will ultimately happen over time the more possible activities get added to FT.

#829296 - Thu Oct 04 2012 04:52 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
90+? I think more like 40+. Maths was never my strong point either. I've had about 40 and no repeats yet, I think. (At least, if I had them they weren't memorably so.)

Edited by Chavs (Thu Oct 04 2012 04:54 AM)

#829297 - Thu Oct 04 2012 05:04 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: stedman]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
Originally Posted By: stedman
I just thought I'd mention an issue I've got with one small aspect of some Challenges, and see if anyone else has a similar problem.

Is there any reason (other than to provide variety) why some of the challenges specify which "mode" you should play in? It's just that my PC doesn't allow me to play in "Quiz Game" or "Flash" modes (apparently it's a security setup issue, and no, I can't change it).

Before the Challenges came along, this hasn't been a problem (I've just played happily in HTML) but a couple of times now I've been unable to complete a challenge because it specifies doing a quiz in "Game" mode. Today, it's my "difficult" challenge that does this, and it's starting to get frustrating!

Is there any possibility of this "mode" distinction being removed? I don't quite see the point of it, since the quizzes are the same whichever way you play. Or is it something to do with the way the "Quiz Game" mode scores things?

I guess if it's just me, then I'll grit my teeth and put up with it, but I just wondered if anyone else is in the same position.

stedman, You are not alone, It's not just you! I play 99.999% of Fun Trivia on my iPad. There is no flash player available (as far as I know). A regular computer is not available to me at this time. I'll just not complete those challenges if I have to.

#829298 - Thu Oct 04 2012 05:33 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: golfmom08]

Administrator

The reason for using the Flash game mode is variety - it's a very different way to challenge yourself on a quiz with a time limit or without one. One is a contest emphasizing speed and instant knowledge (but unlike the hourlies, relies far less on memorization since the question base is much much larger), the other emphasizes endurance and thinking / research.

I think the only way out of this would be to have a profile setting "can't use Flash" whereupon the site would stop offering you any Flash content (no game mode, int'l challenges, Instaquiz or other Flash play). I have no idea however how practical this might be in coding.

#829330 - Thu Oct 04 2012 09:44 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
I'm just weighing in to say that I don't believe I've received any challenges twice. I've looked at my three every day, purchased about three and swapped once. Don't recall any duplicates.

#829345 - Thu Oct 04 2012 11:01 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Re: Flash.

If you don't want to get any challenges that involve flash, load your challenge page for the first time of the day using your iPad or phone. The challenge generator will notice you're on a phone/ipad and make sure not to select flash-type challenges for the day for you.

This should probably be added to the FAQ too!

#829347 - Thu Oct 04 2012 11:05 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]

Administrator

This should probably be added to the FAQ too!

Will do!

#829356 - Thu Oct 04 2012 11:45 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
The problem with any it deems "too high" is that a LOT of people only get very high scores. Also, I think, if the higher scores were removed, it wouldn't be a challenge to complete it anymore (it would be an activity), especially not at the Medium/High difficulty levels where the challenges currently exist.

The magic word is percentile. Make it so that you have to beat a score that randomly falls between (say) your 60th and 90th percentile.

#829357 - Thu Oct 04 2012 11:46 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
I've actually received one difficult challenge three times so far. It's a challenge that I haven't had much of a problem with (and I enjoy), so I'm not complaining, but I am looking forward to some of the ones I haven't had yet.

#829361 - Thu Oct 04 2012 12:12 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: nautilator]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: nautilator

The magic word is percentile. Make it so that you have to beat a score that randomly falls between (say) your 60th and 90th percentile.

I'm pretty sure it's already set up that way, with percentiles. Don't know the ranges though.

#829366 - Thu Oct 04 2012 12:17 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: abechstein]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
This makes for some quite interesting quiz quests.

Some challenges make you look for specific quizzes you wouldn't normally be looking for (quizzes with titles starting with the letters SO, quizzes with titles containing three E's, quizzes with between 20 and 50 ratings...)

And of course it's a challenge to explore games you didn't play very much.

Page 24 of 93 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 92 93 >

Moderator:  Terry