Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#831293 - Sat Oct 13 2012 01:24 PM Editors ignoring authors
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I have a couple of questions in the Question Quest that are evidently too hard. At least twice I have sent modifications that were ignored by the editors. Then I asked that the questions be removed so that I can work on them, and that was ignored, too.

This has happened to me multiple times before, with several questions, and it doesn't seem right. I thought the whole point was to be able to modify the question if you find you aren't hitting the target rate of 55%-95%.

(There have been a few times where the editor made the modifications, and I want to thank those editors. But this usually happens BEFORE the question starts getting played. Once the question is being played, often change requests are ignored.)

Once the question is no longer being played in the New Question Game, there seems no way to re-enter it, because then the editor says you've entered it before.

So it seems like much of the time the writers are only given one chance to get it right, once the question is being played. This seems to defeat the whole purpose of the process, whereby we can tweak the question and try to hit that target.

#831304 - Sat Oct 13 2012 01:47 PM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: gracious1]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
While the question is being played, there can be a delay between when you send the correction notice and when it shows up on the editor end. In addition, correction notices are not religiously monitored in all categories. They're checked and verified, yes, but not necessarily the day they come in. Some categories keep on top of them every couple of days, but in other categories they can pile up for awhile until an editor sits down and focuses just on correction notes for an hour or more.

Also, the real point of being able to send a correction to your own question, is to have a correction made. Yes it does say you can feel free to make it easier, but that's really not "the whole purpose of the process". We don't really want to see the same question come back four times trying to make it easier when there's nothing really 'wrong' with it.

#831331 - Sat Oct 13 2012 02:39 PM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: guitargoddess]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Please also keep in mind that some questions actually are fine as is, even if they're below the target percentage for the two badges. Just because a question gets 54% doesn't mean it's useless or not enjoyable. In fact, it's placed into the caches for other hourly games which look for those percentages. Making it significantly easier may actually result in lower player ratings; you never know.

#831334 - Sat Oct 13 2012 02:49 PM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: guitargoddess]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Personally, when my questions are too hard for the target, which is pretty often, I would rather spend time and energy writing a new one, having gained some new information about level of difficulty, than trying to rewrite the first one, unless I can immediately see that one of the answer options is too attractive and should be changed, as this will affect player enjoyment over time. Modifying the question in the hope that it will then get into the target range can require more than one effort at second-guessing the effect of a change, and as an author I have better ways to spend my time. Eventually the number of questions that do meet the target will increase to the point of achieving the relevant badge.

Once the question has left the New Question Game, you can still send a correction on it. You cannot resubmit it, but you can go to My Single Questions and click the link to My Contributions: All Accepted Submissions, which brings up a list of all your questions. When you find the one which you want to change, you can then click the link at the end of the question that says I see an error -submit correction... and enter your correction message. This message will be dealt with along with all other messages in the single question corrections queue, as guitargoddess explained.

#831348 - Sat Oct 13 2012 03:22 PM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: looney_tunes]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I just had one go through the game, and only 7% of people answered it correctly. It still was rated over the .2000 goal for that half of the challenge, coming it at .2626, which is higher than some of my questions with "percentage correct" in the 30s and 40s. Even though it had such a low "percentage correct", I wouldn't change the question. I really like it smile

As far as this thread's question goes, I've never had any problem with editors when I ask for corrections for questions, both before they go into the New Question Game, and after they've come out.

#831365 - Sat Oct 13 2012 04:21 PM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
I just had one go through the game, and only 7% of people answered it correctly. It still was rated over the .2000 goal for that half of the challenge, coming it at .2626, which is higher than some of my questions with "percentage correct" in the 30s and 40s. Even though it had such a low "percentage correct", I wouldn't change the question. I really like it smile

Good for you! Personally I seem to rate more questions I miss as good than question I get correct. I love it when I see something I've never heard of and if there is a clue in the question to help eliminate an answer or two, even better. If the information given with the answer is truly interesting, then I usually remember it.

#831436 - Sun Oct 14 2012 12:30 AM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: Dagny1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
My highest rated questions are typically those with the lowest percentage. I wouldn't dare tweak them.

It is incredibly tough to get both a good rating AND a high percentage. Tweaking is actually, in my opinion, more difficult than writing a new one. :-)

#831457 - Sun Oct 14 2012 06:12 AM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: salami_swami]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I've actually managed quite a few that fall into both categories, and some have had pretty high ratings. I'm happy with all but the first four I sent in, which were not so hot. Since the first four that didn't do so well, 6 of 11 have managed to fall without both required ranges for the challenge, and two have been pretty close to the percentage scores but narrowly missed, dropping at the last second. I think I've got the hang of writing questions people seem to like now, thanks to Daily Challenges that force me into writing in different categories, and do some real thinking for the questions I ask, instead of throwing them together (which happened for the first four and explains a lot).

#831815 - Mon Oct 15 2012 10:08 PM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: kaddarsgirl]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
It states on the "Accepted Contributions Page":

"If a question turned out to be way too hard, for example, feel free to submit a correction requesting a change to make it more approachable."

http://www.funtrivia.com/questionpost_me3.cfm

So it sounds like this is part of the process. And I think it's a good idea. After all, some topics are under-represented, and if an author can make such a topic more accessible, then it's to the benefit of the site.

#831821 - Mon Oct 15 2012 11:16 PM Re: Editors ignoring authors [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
You certainly can do this. You do it by sending a correction on the question, describing how you want it changed. As I and at least one other person have pointed out, it can take a lot of time and effort to try to get your question to that target range, and you could well have written several other questions for the same effort. Remember that all questions with a reasonable popularity rating get used; the target range is set because that is the range used by the largest number of the games that call on this pool of quesitons, so it is desirable to have authors aim there. I would only rework a question if it is so much too hard that it is rated poorly - if people don't like it, it needs attention. If it is hard but enjoyed (rated above 0.2), I would just leave it.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4