Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#831681 - Mon Oct 15 2012 09:46 AM What Did That Say?
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I’ll probably never understand why I have an insatiable need for knowledge. At least now I can better find what I want/need. But sometimes, my reading unearths something completely unexpected.

It was actually a quiz which sparked my curiosity (don’t ask which one, because I don’t know). The word “radioactive” jumped off the page, and I found myself wondering what natural sources contained radioactive components. So, off to Google to see if I found anything—and, surprisingly, I found…

That bananas contain radioactive potassium

I forget the exact article I read—and so I keyed in aanother search—which brought up the following: chemistry.about.com.

“Radioactive K-40 has an isotopic abundance of 0.01% and a half-life of 1.25 billion years. The average banana contains around 450 mg of potassium and will experience about 14 decays each second.”

But, as the article explains, it’s “safe”—but other radioactive materials, which can be anywhere, aren’t necessarily.

“Anything containing carbon… is slightly radioactive.”

#831722 - Mon Oct 15 2012 12:47 PM Re: What Did That Say? [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Yes, that's how we date artifacts - by the carbon decay. When the anthropologists give dates for cave paintings or whatever, they aren't just guessing.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943