Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#831737 - Mon Oct 15 2012 02:25 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: looney_tunes]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
I must agree with the majority of people on this thread---it's far more interesting for Team Heroes to be diverse in the number of topics that appear. There are only a few topics I won't play (like math) and as others have mentioned, you can sometimes surprise yourself in a topic about which you know nothing. For example, I have never seen the Eurovision contest, don't know a thing about it, yet was in the top ten of my very large team several hours after taking it. It's amazing what good guessing can do! Do I wish every day the subject was one about which I'm very knowledgeable? Sure! But that's neither fair nor reasonable, and having specific categories is what differentiates Heroes from TvT.

#831742 - Mon Oct 15 2012 02:38 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: jabb5076]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Or, just give me a list of categories that are inappropriate / misleading in title and I'll remove them from the Heroes rotation.

Thanks

#831746 - Mon Oct 15 2012 02:59 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: Terry]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Please don't do that Terry! I think most of us agree that it isn't broken, and therefore doesn't need fixing. That's my reading of this discussion anyway.

#831747 - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:06 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: spanishliz]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Agreed, Liz.

Perhaps a link to the quiz section would be nice, though, so players can click it so they know what to expect? So when, for instance, "Civil War" appears, players will see that 95% of the quizzes involve the US Civil War, and therefore they will see almost all US questions.

Perhaps that would prevent threads of people asking for a title to be changed because it leans too close to a certain category. If we had a link to the category that might prevent some confusion.

Or, alternately, perhaps there is a system that detects the quizzes in the section, so for today's, for instance, it will say in the "approximate number of questions" thing... 70% Eurovision. 2% ACM Awards. 12% Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 6% Grammies. 10% Other.

That might be a bit too lengthy of a list for some categories, though, say... "Authors T-Z".

#831749 - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:15 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: salami_swami]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Or we can just get to know that Music Industry Awards will bring up a load of Eurovision questions, and not worry about it.

I like the Heroes game as it is. Half the fun is groaning when you see the topic. wink

#831750 - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:16 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: salami_swami]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
Maybe this suggested list could list subjects over a certain percentage, so then categories like Authors T-Z wouldn't have so many with 1% or whatever? Perhaps it could list subjects that account for over 20% of the database, for example.

I personally don't think any addition is necessary, and like things the way they are. I actually got 15 Eurovision questions today, but I doubt I'd have known anything about the other Music awards that exist anyway, haha! And please keep Stephen King!

#831751 - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:19 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: salami_swami]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I think that a link to the category is a good idea, Meathead - because if it stops one more Brit having a fit of apopletic rage over the heading "Civil War" it will have been a service to mankind. And who knows, that Brit might just be me! wink

#831753 - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:25 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: Chavs]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: Chavs
Or we can just get to know that Music Industry Awards will bring up a load of Eurovision questions, and not worry about it.

I like the Heroes game as it is. Half the fun is groaning when you see the topic. wink

Eggzeckly. laugh

#831754 - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:26 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: flopsymopsy]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
One that can be done, Terry - and you may have already done this, can't remember if I already asked you - is to remove "Star Wars" from "Science Fiction" in Lit. We've put on a serious effort, and there are enough non-SW quizzes in there to make it a reasonably sized category. If you then wanted to allow Star Wars books as a heroes category all on its own once in a great while, you could , and it would be properly labeled so those who wanted to could avoid it.

#831757 - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:35 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: agony]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
That would be the top candidate; I agree with agony. Players might actually like "Science Fiction" with that change. wink

#831794 - Mon Oct 15 2012 05:26 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: salami_swami]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
How about listing the quizzes the Questions have come from and lock out those quizzes for the day? Such as:
Topic: Transportation
Source Quizzes:
"Sports Cars I've Driven" 2Qea
"Semi-trucks Hog the Road" 2Qea
"Famous Hobo Train Bridges" 2Qea
"Trains of Britain in Motion" 4Qea
"Stations to Get Off On" 5Qea
(These Names are ficticious. Any resemblence to real titles is unintentional. Do not search for these quizzes in the database. The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty, depending on your POV.)
There have been requests by authors to know when their product is being used. This would help in that regard.
Doesn't it always seem to come back to those British train questions? I saw a comment on another thread that it was actually the Austalians who enjoy writing and taking those quizzes. There's just no accounting for some tastes.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#831799 - Mon Oct 15 2012 06:47 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: mehaul]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
As has been said, I often groan, and when I groan, I do poorly, but I wouldn't change a thing. The idea of 'Heroes' should be to showcase the team 'heroes' for the day. If it's Stephen King, or Music Awards, I won't be on the list, but there *will* be team members who shine, and won't that be a wonderful thing?

#831802 - Mon Oct 15 2012 07:52 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I want to echo the voices who say leave it as it is. What is "narrow" or "arcane" to some is "inclusive" and "interesting" to others. Some days you will do well, and some days you will do poorly. And if you wish not to play, that is your privilege. But don't deprive others from the pleasure of that particular topic simply because it doesn't appeal to you.

Furthermore, when the topics are "easy" or "common" then the speed mavens have all the advantage. It's more fun when the are is more specialized, because then mere mortals have a chance.

I hope Terry will leave things as they are.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the old country saying.

Edited by gracious1 (Mon Oct 15 2012 08:12 PM)

#831817 - Mon Oct 15 2012 10:24 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: gracious1]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
I completely agree that keeping somewhat specialized topics (like Stephen King) in the Heroes game is fine. However, I think there does need to be some modification in the way categories like "Music Industry Awards" appear. First of all, from my (admittedly limited) understanding of Eurovision, it's not any more of an award from the music industry than X-Factor or American Idol is an award. It's a competition, and the winners aren't selected by any entity of the commercial music industry, but determined by the votes of the participating countries.

When a subtopic like this is so dominated by quizzes on one topic, I think it would be appropriate to give that topic its own heading. 69 quizzes would be more than enough to justify this reorganization. I wouldn't say it's necessary to remove that topic from the Heroes game, but it's more logical to have "Eurovision" as a topic heading than "Music Industry Awards". Likewise, I think agony's right: giving quizzes on Star Wars books their own heading makes sense in the same manner. Another similar issue is with the "TV Stars Mixed" category, where the great majority of quizzes in that category deal with the trivia of "Survivor" participants. I think many players wouldn't really consider "Survivor" players TV Stars, so the "TV Stars Mixed" topic heading would be somewhat misleading as to the sort of questions a player will get.

#831818 - Mon Oct 15 2012 10:31 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: abechstein]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
There are clearly more effective ways to create Heroes/Expert categories so that they have a more representative set of questions. The current system works pretty well for most categories, but clearly there are a handful where it's a little weird (the music one for example).

I actually have a system half-built that redoes the question pools completely. However it's a long term project and likely won't be ready soon.

#831948 - Tue Oct 16 2012 09:43 AM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: Terry]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
For now, think of it this way: Team Heroes is not a fill-in-the-blank game. You have a 25% chance of getting a question right if you don't know the answer at all. It's not like you automatically get a 0 if you don't know it for sure, so have a go, and you might be pleasantly surprised by a high score (or, at least, higher than you expected!). And if you don't get a high score, well, you spent two minutes on something that didn't bring your team score any lower - no biggie. smile

#831958 - Tue Oct 16 2012 10:27 AM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: AlexxSchneider]
DomiNeyTor Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
Another misleading category is "Card Games", where the picture shows 'standard' playing cards, but the majority of quizzes are about Magic/Yu-gi-oh type of games. Perhaps the quizzes about games with traditional playing cards should get split off into their own category.

#832118 - Tue Oct 16 2012 08:34 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: DomiNeyTor]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I like the Heroes game as it is and will keep playing it as is, but if we're being asked for input then I think the following need to be put in their OWN category:

Twilight
Star Wars (see sci-fi category message above)
Eurovision
Harry Potter
Aussie Rules Football (please don't pretend it's a general sports category by giving me 8 obscure questions like jersey numbers in one quiz lol)
Card Games (I agree with Dom)
British Railroads or Busses or whatever (2 q's are fine in "transportation", but 10 are not)
Any SPECIFIC author (Christie, King, Rice etc where the bulk of the literature q's end up to be about them)
Disney (honestly folks, not all the good animated movies on the planet came from that company, as much as I love them)
Any specific RPG or related

Yes, I fully "get" that we could all write more quizzes for the things we'd LIKE to see in certain categories, but I'm afraid some of them are beyond help (because there are SO many!) no matter how many we write lol. So perhaps the best solution is, indeed, to simply do a better job of grouping things.

Am sure your personal mileage may vary lol

Edited because I can't type today (not unusual)

Edited by Jakeroo (Tue Oct 16 2012 08:36 PM)
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#836012 - Thu Nov 01 2012 10:28 PM Re: HeroTopic 10/13-Stephen King-Too Narrowly Focused? [Re: Jakeroo]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Can't find the thread where these have been posted. Here is a list of the topics of the Heroes Quiz from October 2102. Many thanks to salami_swami, who filled in the blanks this month. It would be embarrassing to present what I would have had without his help. smile

Oct/31/12 Old Testament/Tanakh (Religion)
Oct/30/12 Quotes (People)
Oct/29/12 1990s Music (Music)
Oct/28/12 Horror Mixture (Movies)
Oct/27/12 Authors H-K (Literature)
Oct/26/12 Mythology Mixture (Humanities)
Oct/25/12 Fruits and Vegetables (Hobbies)
Oct/24/12 Roman History (History)
Oct/23/12 United Kingdom (Geography)
Oct/22/12 Mixed 5 Questions (General)
Oct/21/12 TV Stars Mixed (Celebrities)
Oct/20/12 Miscellaneous Animal Trivia (Animals)
Oct/19/12 U.S. Law (World)
Oct/18/12 Math (Sci/Tech)
Oct/17/12 Christianity (Religion)
Oct/16/12 U.S.A. People (People)
Oct/15/12 Music Industry Awards (Music)
Oct/14/12 Degrees of Separation (Movies)
Oct/13/12 Stephen King (Literature)
Oct/12/12 Unusual and Obscure Words (Humanities)
Oct/11/12 Food & Drink (Hobbies)
Oct/10/12 German (History)
Oct/09/12 Cities of the World (Geography)
Oct/08/12 Mixed UK (General)
Oct/07/12 Music Celebs Mixed (Celebrities)
Oct/06/12 Invertebrates (Animals)
Oct/05/12 Organizations (World)
Oct/04/12 Computers (Sci/Tech)
Oct/03/12 Bible People (Religion)
Oct/02/12 Mixed People (People)
Oct/01/12 Music H-K (Music)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Terry