Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 34 of 91 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#831961 - Tue Oct 16 2012 10:32 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Daddy19 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Great Bridge West Midlands UK
I think Dippo's suggestion about colouring quizzes played sooner and older than 30 days would be a good idea as well!

edited for clarification given a new page started

Edited by Daddy19 (Tue Oct 16 2012 10:35 AM)

#831962 - Tue Oct 16 2012 10:36 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Originally Posted By: Dippo
Is there any way that the highlighting which shows the quizzes already taken by Gold Members could come in two different colours? One for quizzes taken 31 or more days ago, and one for quizzes taken in the last 30 days? The number of challenges that require you to play a certain amount of quizzes not played in the last 30 days means that this would become increasingly helpful as time goes on.

I would love this system as well, should it be possible.

Ditto smile

Yup... I was just thinking about this the other day smile

#831963 - Tue Oct 16 2012 10:43 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: postcards2go]
Emma058 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario Canada
I love that idea. I was wondering about that today.

#831991 - Tue Oct 16 2012 12:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: postcards2go]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: postcards2go
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Originally Posted By: Dippo
Is there any way that the highlighting which shows the quizzes already taken by Gold Members could come in two different colours? One for quizzes taken 31 or more days ago, and one for quizzes taken in the last 30 days? The number of challenges that require you to play a certain amount of quizzes not played in the last 30 days means that this would become increasingly helpful as time goes on.

I would love this system as well, should it be possible.

Ditto smile

Yup... I was just thinking about this the other day smile

Unfortunately, date data is not stored with gold member "has-played" data, so there's no efficient way to do that.

I could probably add a status on a quiz-detail page though that tells you if you have played within the last 30 days.

#831992 - Tue Oct 16 2012 12:45 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
Yes please!

#831993 - Tue Oct 16 2012 12:49 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: dippo]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Anything that helps would be appreciated. smile

#831994 - Tue Oct 16 2012 01:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
That would be great, Terry. At least it would prevent wasted time, playing a quiz that you played 29 days ago... no points *and* no challenge credit.

#832101 - Tue Oct 16 2012 06:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: postcards2go]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
About the Nemesis challenge, how is the random opponent selected? Is it just absolutely any FT member or is it someone who has accessed/looked at their daily challenges today? The person I'm up against has registered 0 points today, just wondering if it;s possible that I'm matched with someone who may not even ever look at what their challenges are? If so, it doesn't really seem like much of a challenge.

#832112 - Tue Oct 16 2012 07:51 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: guitargoddess]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
BigStig: I did the same thing as you when I got that Challenge earlier this month - panicked and said NO way lol. You probably have an idea of the relief I felt when I discovered it kept track of the whole day lol (just thought you might like to know that you weren't alone) : )

As for the AskTrivia thing: how would you go about determining if a person was "reasonably familiar" with the site? Just curious.

GG: I'm sure there are lots of folks who neither look at, or care (or understand for that matter) about the new challenges. I had the Twin thing yesterday. The person didn't understand what needed to be done and I contacted them too late (due to geolocation) to fix anything. I feel like I let that person down though, sigh.
At least with yours, you just needed to get to a specific score lol
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows.

Pope Paul VI

#832204 - Wed Oct 17 2012 10:05 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Jakeroo]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
This is just a suggestion. Since the Daily Challenge where you to have score better than your opponent in the Expert game only counts the first 4 plays, can the challenge be awarded after both players complete their 4 attempts rather than waiting till midnight?

#832205 - Wed Oct 17 2012 10:16 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: zorba_scank]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: zorba_scank
This is just a suggestion. Since the Daily Challenge where you to have score better than your opponent in the Expert game only counts the first 4 plays, can the challenge be awarded after both players complete their 4 attempts rather than waiting till midnight?

I thought of suggesting that too. Probably for the same reasons you are suggesting it - points, new challenges etc.

And then I reconsidered.

Perhaps it would put undue pressure on the player/s to either forfeit or play a game they didn't really want to play? But if it doesn't get marked until midnight anyway, there can be no pressure. Maybe that's nicer/fairer. I'm still deciding but think it might be. ?

#832206 - Wed Oct 17 2012 10:18 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I think it's fairer to wait until midnight, personally.

#832216 - Wed Oct 17 2012 10:55 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Correct. I don't want someone who is trying to cram in more badges harassing the other player to play an expert game to "finish it off".

I agree it would be nice to be able to score it intra-day, but it would have some undesired side effects.

#832255 - Wed Oct 17 2012 01:42 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
This isn't so much a bug as a clarification request. I've already done this today but it might be handy to know next time I get this challenge.
Quote:
How well can you string together successes? Play any six tough or difficult 10-question player quizzes in a row, achieving scores of at least 8 on each.

Does that mean you can't play an hourly or daily game in the middle of the string of quizzes? Or is it just the quizzes that are recorded for the purposes of the challenge and the games can be played at random while attempting the challenge? Ta smile

#832336 - Wed Oct 17 2012 04:09 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Tizzabelle]
PDUBS1980 Offline
Participant

Loc: Illinois USA
I don't think this is a bug, and I'm more just venting some frustration here, but it stinks when you buy a challenge and see that you've already failed it without even a chance to succeed. Today I bought a challenge and received "Play today's Who am I? game in difficult mode and score 689 points". I had already played the game in easy mode and so that's 9 credits down the drain frown

Does it make sense to filter just the purchased challenges such that those involving the once-a-day games are not given? I understand I could have bought the challenge earlier in the day before I played, but I typically try to complete all the challenges I've been assigned before buying any new ones. I always check my challenges in the morning to see if they involve the daily games and then play accordingly.

#832339 - Wed Oct 17 2012 04:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: PDUBS1980]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
One of the pieces of advice on the FAQ page says that, if you think you will or might want to purchase one or more challenges during the day, you should play strategically.

Quote:
If you want to optimize your chances at playing challenges throughout the day and avoid getting frustrated at an unexpected requirement, the following should help you to do well even without knowing exactly what is being called for:

Make sure you still have your swap-out available for the week if you are a Gold Member. It may save your day.
Do not play your My Quiz before it is asked in a challenge - it will require you to choose a specific difficulty.
Feel free to play as many hourlies as you can even before they are asked for - you may be happy about that later. In particular, there is one challenge using the Smartest game that may be very nasty if you receive it late unless you have already played regularly throughout the day.
Playing the Global Challenge AM set is recommended.
If you want to play the dailies early, choose timed mode for the Daily mixed game and Mind Melt and Difficult mode for Who am I. However, it may be an even better strategy to hold back on the dailies until you are given a challenge requiring them.
You might find it useful for one particular rare challenge to still be able to play and bank Quick Questions when it does come up.
Any other play is optional - you cannot hurt your chances by playing quizzes, crosswords or the Monster Quiz if you simply play your best. If it's called for, you will in almost all cases get credit for play already done throughout the day.

#832340 - Wed Oct 17 2012 04:40 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: PDUBS1980]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: PDUBS1980
I don't think this is a bug, and I'm more just venting some frustration here, but it stinks when you buy a challenge and see that you've already failed it without even a chance to succeed. Today I bought a challenge and received "Play today's Who am I? game in difficult mode and score 689 points". I had already played the game in easy mode and so that's 9 credits down the drain frown

Does it make sense to filter just the purchased challenges such that those involving the once-a-day games are not given? I understand I could have bought the challenge earlier in the day before I played, but I typically try to complete all the challenges I've been assigned before buying any new ones. I always check my challenges in the morning to see if they involve the daily games and then play accordingly.

This was discussed over in the testing thread and also in the early pages of this thread. If you're planning on buying challenges during the day it has been previously suggested that you wait to play all daily games until a challenge asks you for it. If you are given an easy challenge for Who am I? for example, you cannot be given a medium Who am I? challenge when you purchase, but there's nothing set up to exclude it if you don't already have a similar challenge in your list. It's bad luck that you'd already failed it, but I don't think anything going to change regarding purchases. It shouldn't change how you play the games anyway. If you always play the best that you can, you can't really fault the system for giving you the challenge after you've played the game.

#832354 - Wed Oct 17 2012 05:33 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
One of the pieces of advice on the FAQ page says that, if you think you will or might want to purchase one or more challenges during the day, you should play strategically.

Quote:
If you want to optimize your chances at playing challenges throughout the day and avoid getting frustrated at an unexpected requirement, the following should help you to do well even without knowing exactly what is being called for:

Make sure you still have your swap-out available for the week if you are a Gold Member. It may save your day.
Do not play your My Quiz before it is asked in a challenge - it will require you to choose a specific difficulty.
Feel free to play as many hourlies as you can even before they are asked for - you may be happy about that later. In particular, there is one challenge using the Smartest game that may be very nasty if you receive it late unless you have already played regularly throughout the day.
Playing the Global Challenge AM set is recommended.
If you want to play the dailies early, choose timed mode for the Daily mixed game and Mind Melt and Difficult mode for Who am I. However, it may be an even better strategy to hold back on the dailies until you are given a challenge requiring them.
You might find it useful for one particular rare challenge to still be able to play and bank Quick Questions when it does come up.
Any other play is optional - you cannot hurt your chances by playing quizzes, crosswords or the Monster Quiz if you simply play your best. If it's called for, you will in almost all cases get credit for play already done throughout the day.

It should be pointed out that this was written in testing with full knowledge of all challenges that exist. It will be very rare to encounter an instant failure if you follow these pieces of advice. If you do get one nonetheless, please let me know and I'll adapt the strategy advice accordingly smile

#832453 - Thu Oct 18 2012 04:12 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
This is not a Bug as such, but I thought I would mention it.

Normally I am on FT most days, but occasionally (well a bit more often than occasionally) I go on Holiday or away for a weekend.

For example this weekend away Friday to Monday and won't be on FT at all whilst away, will be on first thing Friday and possibly last thing Monday but Saturday and Sunday will be a nil points day

If I get matched in a Challenge to match other players score whilst away it means the person I have been put against suffers for me being missing as well as both have to score at least 500 points for challenge to be won.

Obviously not an issue with Nemesis or Expert challenge as other player would win, but in the score equalling challenge it would affect the outcome or am I missing something?

#832462 - Thu Oct 18 2012 04:55 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: pmarney]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

"If I get matched in a Challenge to match other players score whilst away it means the person I have been put against suffers for me being missing as well as both have to score at least 500 points for challenge to be won."

Only one player has to score over 500 points, not both players. And Twin does not require that you have to have only equal points to win. Twin can be won as long as one twin has at least 500 points, and scores can differ by 0 points, or by 2500, 5000, or 10000 points.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Thu Oct 18 2012 04:57 AM)

#832464 - Thu Oct 18 2012 05:08 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
My mistake I thought you both had to score a minimum of 500 points, if that's the case then obviously not a problem and I read it wrong

#832473 - Thu Oct 18 2012 05:50 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: pmarney]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Please correct me if I'm wrong (so I know what the score is) but I was under the impression that you had to click the Daily Challenges link to be issued with challenges. Therefore if you're away from the computer for any reason you won't be matched up with anyone for the Twin or Nemesis challenge. Or am I reading it incorrectly?
Originally Posted By: FAQ
In Twin and Nemesis, you are being paired up with another player who has picked up challenges for the day.

#832477 - Thu Oct 18 2012 05:54 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Tizzabelle]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

You're correct Tizzabelle. I think the situation in question though is more like if you clicked the challenge link, were issued the Twin or Nemesis, and then did not return, so it would all be left up to your partner.

#832480 - Thu Oct 18 2012 06:10 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Tizzabelle]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
This isn't so much a bug as a clarification request. I've already done this today but it might be handy to know next time I get this challenge.
Quote:
How well can you string together successes? Play any six tough or difficult 10-question player quizzes in a row, achieving scores of at least 8 on each.

Does that mean you can't play an hourly or daily game in the middle of the string of quizzes? Or is it just the quizzes that are recorded for the purposes of the challenge and the games can be played at random while attempting the challenge? Ta smile

It only applies to player originated quizzes, you can play the hourly games in between although I wouldn't do quiz of the hour as this is a player originated quiz.

#832481 - Thu Oct 18 2012 06:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
I am going to be doing the 10 Challenges in a day soon and was wondering about the "Spend 9 credits to get a new challenge if the old challenge is a 24 hour one does that disappear or does it remain active, because if it doesn't remain active I'm going to require a lot more credits just to swap out all the challenges that can't be used for the badge. ie Nemesis.

Edited by Starlord (Thu Oct 18 2012 06:16 AM)

Page 34 of 91 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Terry