Rules
Terms of Use

Page 21 of 34 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 33 34 >
Topic Options
#975146 - Sat Mar 30 2013 05:28 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: chessart]
C30 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
Don't quite get it........or maybe I do? I have just scored 27/30.........fair enough, but.............

In definitions I got one wrong........now unless an answer accepts two different definitions given, surely it is impossible to get ONE wrong, because if one is then another must also be wrong?

#975147 - Sat Mar 30 2013 06:20 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
You can have swapped definitions between three questions.
Or, as I have done on occasion, you may have selected the same answer twice.

Just checked, I've scored 27 twice in the last week. smile

Edited by Jabberwok (Sat Mar 30 2013 06:23 AM)

#975151 - Sat Mar 30 2013 07:12 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I've done even worse - I reached a score of 29/30 on several occasions. As Jabberwok pointed out, it's quite easy to select the same answer twice (wittingly or inadvertently).

#975165 - Sat Mar 30 2013 08:07 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Yup, done that too. smile

#975167 - Sat Mar 30 2013 08:36 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
TimBentley Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana USA
What's annoying is when I want to change my answer to 1, and I change it to 10 instead.

#975269 - Sat Mar 30 2013 03:54 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
That misclick giving 29 is especially galling when a Daily Challenge is to get at least 30 out of 30 - that will be the one day in the week when I don't do it. frown

#975568 - Mon Apr 01 2013 10:02 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Johnsnow Offline
Participant

Loc: Arkansas USA
Best time ever (118) in Mind Melt. 6th overall for the site. 93 melting points. That ain't right. I targeted this month to get a top ten finish. I think it should be an overall score (2764 X 30 for example) that counts toward a monthly badge. I know some people will say "not everybody has the same set of questions". So what? I don't know what group I am lumped into, but even a sub 200 second score will rarely get you into the 25th percentile in the sets I have been competing against. Thoughts?

#975594 - Tue Apr 02 2013 06:00 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ASA Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide
South Australia   
I have been able to get 3 correct in a really quick time.

#975870 - Wed Apr 03 2013 03:32 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario Canada
negativism is related to quality

negativism means "characterized by habitual skepticism and a tendency to deny or oppose or resist suggestions or commands"
quality means "an essential and distinguishing attribute of something or someone"

Aren't these opposite in meaning? Or do we say a person's qualities include their lying, cheating and slothfulness. Characteristics or traits, but not qualities.

#975886 - Wed Apr 03 2013 04:15 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Qualities need not be positive. The word is sometimes used in that sense, but it need not be at all.

#975902 - Wed Apr 03 2013 04:44 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

I can't seem to find any websites that use 'quality' as a negative unless they say bad or negative qualities. All the others redirect to 'characteristics' or traits'. The connotation of 'quality' for most people is a positive feature, isn't it?

#975908 - Wed Apr 03 2013 05:17 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

While saying something has quality, or meets quality standards, with the implication that this is a good thing, is certainly a very common contemporary usage, it is not strictly the meaning of the word. This wikipedia entry gives a bit of a discussion of the philosophical use of the word quality, which is a concept that can be good, bad or neutral. I have several books on my shelf, but no time to locate scholarly discussion online at the moment, since I am at work and taking a short coffee break.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_%28philosophy%29

#975978 - Thu Apr 04 2013 06:43 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Quality is merely a measure - good or bad - of conformance to some applicable set of definitions or specifications. It is Madison Avenue that has twisted the meaning to imply the idea of a high standard, one sided connotation. A thing may be a foot wide hunk of gold and covered with diamonds and rubies but it could be low quality if the item was to be a dog. In this case a dead dog would need some engineer's input as to whether it met the prescribed standard or not. If it was intended in final use to be a child's companion it would be poor quality. If it were meant to be a model in a life drawing class, the fact that it doesn't move would make it high quality. Same dog, different measures of quality.
When someone says they bought a quality set of ski boots, they mean that to them the fit, functionality and price were better than other available items of the same sort. Those are internal, personal sets of requirements that have been met to warrant the use of quality as an adjective.
Sloth then is indeed a quality, one that may be undesirable (as in the dog not moving), but a quality none-the-less.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#975985 - Thu Apr 04 2013 07:26 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Quality answer, Michael! smile

#976278 - Fri Apr 05 2013 08:18 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
Ssabreman, you answered your own question in the very beginning when you acknowledged the concept of "negative quality"! :P

#976281 - Fri Apr 05 2013 09:01 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Not really. It needed the adjective to clearly differentiate 'negative' qualities from the other qualities, which are generally positive.

#976503 - Sat Apr 06 2013 12:29 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
Originally Posted By: ssabreman
Not really. It needed the adjective to clearly differentiate 'negative' qualities from the other qualities, which are generally positive.

Ah, I have to disagree. I acknowledge that when one says 'quality', the presumption is that it is a positive one, but I don't think prefacing it with 'negative' or a similar term is necessary in order for it to mean a non-positive one.

#977202 - Tue Apr 09 2013 05:21 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
coppersmith is related to
wigmaker is related to

with options "shaper" and "journeyman".

I'd have said that the coppersmith matches the shaper (after all, a wigmaker rather assembles than shapes), but the game thinks otherwise.

#977209 - Tue Apr 09 2013 06:21 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
When I think of perukes, I think too much shaping has taken place.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#977869 - Fri Apr 12 2013 12:30 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Here's an idea. When two questions/answers are completely interchangeable, allow both answers to be correct.
Today's version of this maddening circumstance:

nabumetone is related to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug

You said: NSAID

nabumetone means "a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (trade name Relafen)"
nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug means "an anti-inflammatory drug that does not contain steroids"

ibuprofen is related to NSAID

You said: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug

ibuprofen means "a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (trade names Advil and Motrin and Nuprin) used to relieve the pain of arthritis and as an analgesic and antipyretic"
NSAID means "an anti-inflammatory drug that does not contain steroids"

#979300 - Fri Apr 19 2013 06:47 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Johnsnow Offline
Participant

Why are ties not given the same amount of melting points within a daily set? You never know what time you have to beat since you never know what set you will be placed into. Same time should equal same daily melting points.

#979301 - Fri Apr 19 2013 06:47 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Johnsnow Offline
Participant

Not really a big deal, just wondering...

#979521 - Sat Apr 20 2013 08:43 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
bigyaz Offline
Participant

Loc: Connecticut USA
Today (April 20, 2013) MM, Quiz 26

Opposites Part

Active and Activeness were both words in the list.

The opposite of antagonistic is active

antagonistic means "opposing or neutralizing or mitigating an effect by contrary action"
active means "producing activity or change"

The opposite of inactivity is activeness

inactivity means "a disposition to remain inactive or inert"
activeness means "the trait of being active"

I answered both with active...I went for the 29 instead of risking getting both wrong.

#979547 - Sat Apr 20 2013 01:58 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

You would have been safe matching the two adjectives with each other, and the two nouns together.

#979641 - Sun Apr 21 2013 05:46 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
coppersmith is related to
wigmaker is related to

with options "shaper" and "journeyman".

I'd have said that the coppersmith matches the shaper (after all, a wigmaker rather assembles than shapes), but the game thinks otherwise.

I've been thinking about this one and can only suggest that "smith" implies a skilled craft that requires an extended apprenticeship whereas wigmaker could include someone working on an assembly line that required training rather than an apprenticeship.

And "maker" fits with "shaper" in the grammatical sense, which is sometimes how these definitions seem to be ordered.

And whilst "shaper" describes metalwork very well, it also pertains to wigs which afterall are useless until they are styled or shaped.

I've done my best to appease the Mind Melt gods here! wink

Page 21 of 34 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 33 34 >

Moderator:  Terry