Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 9 of 30 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
#636790 - Fri Jun 24 2011 08:19 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I had thought that too, Jakeroo, but I think it is mostly just a colourful way of describing any single (including a bunt single), in the same way that "tater" is a colourful way to describe a home run. However it came about, I'd have recognised it as being baseball-related had I seen it in a Mind Melt set smile

#636796 - Fri Jun 24 2011 08:33 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
It's quite a "delicious" word : ) And although I didn't have it in my set, I'd agree that I'd have picked baseball as well, if that was on the list of options.

#636809 - Fri Jun 24 2011 09:24 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
What's a trouble then? A double that could have been a triple but the guy gets tagged out at third? Or, a tingle when the guy falls down on a ball to the corner, a possible triple, and he has to settle for first base? Or like I just saw in the Mariners/Marlins game in Seattle (but it's a Florida home game cause the U2 concert stage needs to be set up in Miami and Seattle became the host site but the away team, batted first) and the pitcher hit the batter in the hand producing a loud crack. The umpire initially called foul, then hit-by-pitch, is that to be a Fit-by-pitch where the managers take twenty minutes to stop arguing with the umpires who'd changed their call? Why do they call it a passed ball when the ball goes to the backstop. It was a batter catcher and ump that were passed so wouldn't passed catcher/ump/batter, a passed c/u/b be the right term to use? Or, an error that costs the team a game should officially be called a terror?
I got it right too, by the way. That's what 'the process' (Elimination) led me to. Also like I mentioned, it's been nice debating but the bingle will stay with us because it is defined by someone other than FT. "PLAY BAT!"

#636828 - Fri Jun 24 2011 10:21 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
I have a friend who is a baseball guru and I asked him about this. His reply is-

"I haven't heard the term bingle in decades. Its just an old slang (really old) term for a base hit. That was used around the time that 'modern baseball' started (1920)."

Just because it is old and not many people have heard of it does not automatically mean it is not correct. smile

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#636830 - Fri Jun 24 2011 10:39 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thank you ozzz! That's what I have been trying to say! (Early Wynn was an old timer, no doubt that was why he used the term smile )

#636841 - Fri Jun 24 2011 11:22 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I still have images of mangled cars, though. By the way, if you used the term for a minor collision between cars, as we do around here, would you get your car insured with a company called Bingle?

#636842 - Fri Jun 24 2011 11:34 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I sent an email to the MLB site that is responsible for the lingo list and asked that they include Bingle on the list before the connection to its veracity is lost.

#636844 - Fri Jun 24 2011 11:51 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]

Oh good! Please let us know what they say.

#636846 - Fri Jun 24 2011 11:55 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]

Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
I still have images of mangled cars, though. By the way, if you used the term for a minor collision between cars, as we do around here, would you get your car insured with a company called Bingle?

Would be like using a health insurance company named 'Leprosy'.

#636855 - Sat Jun 25 2011 01:13 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
Multiloquent

Or hiring an accountant from the firm with my all-time favorite poorly-chosen corporate name, Nutt and Muddle.

#637670 - Tue Jun 28 2011 06:27 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]

Originally Posted By: mehaul
I sent an email to the MLB site that is responsible for the lingo list and asked that they include Bingle on the list before the connection to its veracity is lost.

Any reply yet? I would love to know what they say.

#637676 - Tue Jun 28 2011 08:30 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I have rec'v'd 3 robot replies saying that my posting is being reviewed. But bear in mind those robots aren't yet from the office that produced the list of jargon.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Jun 28 2011 08:31 PM)

#637701 - Wed Jun 29 2011 01:43 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Was one of the robots named "Marvin"? ~~~~ (sorry, couldn't help myself, had a THHGTTG moment)

#637924 - Wed Jun 29 2011 10:10 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon New York USA           
Let's play "Which of these was actually found in the game?" Any takers?

The opposite of free is blame

You said: convict

free means "let off the hook"
blame means "put or pin the blame on"

The opposite of exculpate is convict

You said: blame

exculpate means "pronounce not guilty of criminal charges"
convict means "find or declare guilty"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The opposite of free is convict

You said: blame

free means "let off the hook"
convict means "find or declare guilty"

The opposite of exculpate is blame

You said: convict

exculpate means "pronounce not guilty of criminal charges"
blame means "put or pin the blame on"

#637962 - Thu Jun 30 2011 02:40 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
leelee63 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cape Cod Massachusetts USA   
I'm a bit confused as to how the opposite of one word can be the same definition for the opposite word.

The opposite of loud is piano

You said: precision

loud means "used chiefly as a direction or description in music"
piano means "used chiefly as a direction or description in music"

As far as opposite goes, that's like the pot calling a kettle a kettle.

#637965 - Thu Jun 30 2011 04:19 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: leelee63]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Piano is the musical direction for 'soft' or 'quiet', which is why it is the opposite to 'loud' in this context.

#637967 - Thu Jun 30 2011 04:51 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
Multiloquent

Those partial definitions that you often find (in Internet dictionaries, and therefore in this game) are not particularly useful. It is a true about each term that it is used in music, but the fact that forte is the term meaning to play loudly and piano the term for playing softly has quite fallen through the cracks.

#637968 - Thu Jun 30 2011 05:11 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Someone changed the name of the thread. That's seriously not a good idea, please don't do it - it confuses elderly bunnies no end.

I'm changing it back...

#638158 - Thu Jun 30 2011 07:47 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Did this change it back? (I called for a reply on J Elston's first posting and edited the topic line to drop the "re:". Who got that changed anyway? Was it an ed merging two threads?)

#638205 - Thu Jun 30 2011 08:55 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Okay, I'm pegging it (the change in titles to Flopsymopsy's changing back of the postings above (GO READ TITLES oops someone just changed them to read RE: Another bad pair :0()There it read post #637924: "Another bad pair :0(" Then Rossian and Looneytunes posts simply read the same until a moment ago when someone made a change to have the subsequents read "Re: Another bad pair :0(.

As I wrote this post, the three suject titles above all read "Another bad pair :0(" and as I went to copy the posting numbers, the titles changed to include a RE:.

#638213 - Thu Jun 30 2011 09:05 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Interesting. I didn't realise you could change the topic title, as I've never tried it and can't imagine why someone would want to.

Then again, I still don't know how the new topics get all those different icons attached to them on the general list (but perhaps that might be partially due to the fact that I've never started a new topic either). ~

All good. I learn something new here every day lol.

#638330 - Fri Jul 01 2011 10:45 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Dallas TX USA                 
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Interesting. I didn't realise you could change the topic title, as I've never tried it and can't imagine why someone would want to.

And it also states in the FAQ somewhere not to do so as it will confuse people. Even though I've been an FT member for almost 10˝ years and in the forums nearly 8, it'd have the chance of confusing me.

#638339 - Fri Jul 01 2011 12:22 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: dg_dave]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
skeleton is related to lower limit

You said: complex body part

skeleton means "something reduced to its minimal form"
lower limit means "the smallest possible quantity"

I'm no expert on human biology, but a skeleton is a complex body part to me.

#638341 - Fri Jul 01 2011 12:27 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Anton]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I agree, Anton, but in Mind Melt it always depends what the other option was that went with "complex body part". If it couldn't mean "lower limit" then you know that's what you must match skeleton with so that everything has a match.

#638358 - Fri Jul 01 2011 01:07 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: reeshy]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
Gyrus was the correct answer for complex body part. I had never heard of a gyrus before, and I didn't put gyrus for lower limit. I got three wrong. I wish I could remember what other word I missed right about now.

Page 9 of 30 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29 30 >

Moderator:  Terry