Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#833036 - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:05 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Tizzabelle]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
hmm, often it's the opposite with one-of-a-kind wabbits. Usually, you unique on THEM lol

#833037 - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:05 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Tizzabelle]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
The elders of the Funtrivia Account Reporting Team (Old FARTs) strongly oppose the establishment of any revelation of challenge progress outside the individual's challenge page itself. Afterall, doesn't going there to see things enter the player into some of the challenges? If status was listed elsewhere there would be fewer participants, a lose-lose proposition.

#833039 - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:14 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Afterall, doesn't going there to see things enter the player into some of the challenges? If status was listed elsewhere there would be fewer participants, a lose-lose proposition.

Being entered into challenges doesn't mean you need to complete them. You don't lose anything by starting them.

#833040 - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:19 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kyleisalive]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

What I said was (deciphered) that if some go elsewhere to see their challenge status, there will be fewer entering the challenge playing list. Nothing to do with the non-players, everything to do with the entered players.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Oct 20 2012 01:20 PM)

#833041 - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:24 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: mehaul
What I said was (deciphered) that if some go elsewhere to see their challenge status, there will be fewer entering the challenge playing list. Nothing to do with the non-players, everything to do with the entered players.

I don't understand what you're talking about. Why would less people go to the challenges list? That's the only way to view what your Daily Challenges are...

#833042 - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:42 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
What I said was (deciphered) that if some go elsewhere to see their challenge status, there will be fewer entering the challenge playing list.

I'm really confused as well-- why would this have any effect? Having tallies listed in your profile would only allow other people to see your progress. It won't change whether or not people will play the challenges.

confused

I also don't get why 'entered players' has any effect on anything. Like I said, just because you entered doesn't mean you have to complete the challenges at all. It has no effect on anything except (maybe) twin and nemesis challenges which, if you don't participate, can still be won by your twin/adversary.

Edited by kyleisalive (Sat Oct 20 2012 01:44 PM)

#833045 - Sat Oct 20 2012 02:46 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kyleisalive]
zonko Offline
Participant

Loc: Manchester England UK       
How about using the Triathlon for some challenges.

Score a certain amount of Tri Points in a FT day. So for example ,easy get 5 points, medium score 25 points and hard score 50 points.

In one Triathlon set score a set amount points, 1 for easy, 11 for medium and 21 for hard.

#833047 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:09 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: zonko]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

To those who are in a fog:
People have proposed having the challenge status listed in a table somewhere or on their profile pages. I don't think either of those places would qualify as the challenge page and would therefore not trigger entry into the challenges. If you put them elsewhere and had an entry autolinked to the challenge, you'd have people who are looking for their total brains number being then entered into the challenges with no intention of participating.

Quote:
It has no effect on anything except (maybe) twin and nemesis challenges

Now I'm confused. "No effect except" which is an effect. You cannot prove a statement by merely stating its opposite doesn't exist and condition that with the existence of said opposite.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Oct 20 2012 03:13 PM)

#833048 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:15 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: zonko]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: zonko

Score a certain amount of Tri Points in a FT day. So for example ,easy get 5 points, medium score 25 points and hard score 50 points.

In one Triathlon set score a set amount points, 1 for easy, 11 for medium and 21 for hard.

It is used in some challenges, the first time I got one I had to figure out what the heck a FunTrivia Triathlon was.

#833054 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:21 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Now I'm confused. "No effect except" which is an effect. You cannot prove a statement by merely stating its opposite doesn't exist and condition that with the existence of said opposite.

The point is that it doesn't matter. Even in two person games like Nemesis/Twin/Duel, all three games can be won by one person. Only one person is actually needed to win Twin, even though two scores are compared. In Twin, for example, one partner can score 0, and the other can score 2500/5000/10000 and still win it for both people. It wouldn't make any difference whether the second person played at all after accessing the page. Whether someone accidentally clicks the challenges or intentionally clicks them has no bearing on any part of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of people now who click the link on the homepage out of pure curiosity and then don't bother with playing any of the challenges that are generated.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Sat Oct 20 2012 03:22 PM)

#833059 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:24 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kaddarsgirl]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Therefore, with no one playing opposite, the "challenge" disappears.

#833061 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:27 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Some are easy and some are not. It's the luck of the draw, really. It's like the easy challenge that asks you to bank 10 questions in the Quick Quiz. That's no challenge at all for me. It takes less than 2 minutes for me to accomplish, even with guessing on ones I don't already know the answer to.

#833062 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:27 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: guitargoddess]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
People have proposed having the challenge status listed in a table somewhere or on their profile pages.

I get that.

Quote:
I don't think either of those places would qualify as the challenge page and would therefore not trigger entry into the challenges. If you put them elsewhere and had an entry autolinked to the challenge, you'd have people who are looking for their total brains number being then entered into the challenges with no intention of participating.

I don't get this.

The table/status listing would simply tell how many challenges people have finished; it doesn't need to trigger anything. What does brains have anything to do with this? Why does it matter if they have no intent on participating? Like I've said more than once now, even if you click into the challenge pages, you aren't forced to complete them. Earlier, you said it was a lose-lose situation; I replied that there's no losing; it makes it sound like trying the challenges is a bad thing. This is what I meant by "It has no effect on anything except (maybe) twin and nemesis challenges"; registering for your daily challenges won't hurt other peoples' chances and you won't be penalized whatsoever. The only challenges you have influence in (if you want to) would be Twin and Nemesis, and even if you don't do anything about them, the other participant can still complete them.

Quote:

If I said 'there is nothing in the fridge except a banana', one should understand that the banana is the only exception to the fact that nothing is in the fridge, even if it's not grammatically-sound. (There's no easy way to explain this without tearing apart the parts of the sentence, so I won't. Way too much of an aside.)

------

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming for ideas for new challenges.

The Triathlon is in there in some capacity-- I've done at least one challenge that has needed those particular hourlies.

#833065 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:29 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kyleisalive]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

It depends on what you think is a challenge. What's difficult for one person is easy for another (and vice versa). For some, point precision is a difficult feat.

It doesn't literally disappear-- you still have to complete it.

Some people don't show for their Knockout game-- doesn't mean you don't still have to play to get your points.

Edited by kyleisalive (Sat Oct 20 2012 03:32 PM)

#833072 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:33 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: guitargoddess]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: zonko

The problem I see with having to score Tri Points for a challenge is that people in the "Amateur" division, like myself, aren't even eligible to earn Tri Points, no matter how well they score. The challenge I've seen that deals with the Triathlon asks you to score in a certain percentage of your division, which means it is available for all players to attempt.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Sat Oct 20 2012 03:52 PM)

#833082 - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:45 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kaddarsgirl]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
The challenge I've seen that deals with the Triathalon asks you to score in a certain percentage of your division, which means it is available for all players to attempt.

The one I get (quite a lot!) says I have to be in the top five. So with yours that's two Triathlon challenges at least.

#833094 - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:15 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
To those who are in a fog:
People have proposed having the challenge status listed in a table somewhere or on their profile pages. I don't think either of those places would qualify as the challenge page and would therefore not trigger entry into the challenges. If you put them elsewhere and had an entry autolinked to the challenge, you'd have people who are looking for their total brains number being then entered into the challenges with no intention of participating.

Quote:

May I point out that first, the "table somewhere" was a list of players who had completed the most Daily Challenges. Sort of like Cumulative Mind Melt points. Second, no one said anything about putting Daily Challenges in the player's profile. Neither of these would have any affect on how many Daily Challenges are completed. In fact, seeing each other's progress would be via the Daily Challenges page. And third, I'm not quite getting your point, either. confused

#833095 - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:18 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: flopsymopsy]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
...nothing in the fridge except a banana...

means there is indeed something in the icebox (not a place to store bananas by the way). Is one to understand that there is another side to what is being stated whenever something is said? That truth is really just lies sometimes?

And as far as no one saying putting the numbers on the profile page, please read the thread...
Originally Posted By: Mariamir
What I meant was that a player could see the progress of the players on his/her profile

Also, the point is not how many challenges are finished or completed but how many one sided challenges might get issued. Luck of the draw is not the same as a seeding sheet with vacancies.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Oct 20 2012 04:27 PM)

#833096 - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:31 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Mariamir reiterated what I thought was meant by numbers on the profile; I don't get all the extra stuff you're throwing into it, as I've already said.

Quote:
Also, the point is not how many challenges are finished or completed but how many one sided challenges might get issued. Luck of the draw is not the same as a seeding sheet with vacancies.

What?

I'm out on this one-- I just don't get it anymore (it's extremely confusing going back-and-forth, and I can only imagine how confusing it is for others who're looking here for answers).

Quote:
Is one to understand that there is another side to what is being stated whenever something is said? That truth is really just lies sometimes?

As I already said, I'm not explaining this-- it's way too much of an aside and I think you're looking too deep into something that only needs to be read at surface level.

Edited by kyleisalive (Sat Oct 20 2012 04:37 PM)

#833099 - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:34 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada

And as far as no one saying putting the numbers on the profile page, please read the thread...
Originally Posted By: Mariamir
What I meant was that a player could see the progress of the players on his/her profile

You read it as a dangling modifier. It is "the players who are on his/her profile" not "seeing the progress on the profile".

One sided challenges have nothing to do with this, besides, you still get the credits without a partner.

#833103 - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:44 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Mariamir]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Okay most Daily challenges are set up to see if we can outdo ourselves. Then someone got interplayer challenges added to the mix (which is fine by me). Now some want player performance posted as if it were interplayer challenges as the point to the whole effort. I'm saying keep daily challenges as they are, with status and performance history on just the challenge page itself, not on profiles or in tables somewhere. It's that aspect of making the thing another competition between members that I do not want to see happen.

#833105 - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:49 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
Now some want player performance posted as if it were interplayer challenges as the point to the whole effort.

That's like saying that the Bus Ride is an interplayer game because we list who's completed the most quizzes. For some it may be; for others it isn't.

It's only a competition if you want it to be. This is the same argument as 'you don't need to play the challenges, even if you open the page'. It won't hurt anyone and it's certainly not a lose-lose.

I'm still confused about brains in this mix and 'being added to the challenges' and all that other stuff brought up before, but I'd rather not hear the reason for it. XD

Edited by kyleisalive (Sat Oct 20 2012 04:51 PM)

#833109 - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:57 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kyleisalive]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Argument table

Kyleisalive...1
Kaddarsgirl..1
Mariamir.....1
mehaul.......0
--end of argu, er, report--

#833111 - Sat Oct 20 2012 05:08 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

I'm not sure why this is being seen as an argument.

This forum is meant for feedback, and I understand why you don't want to post the challenge tallies on profile pages. Unfortunately, there are many who seem to want the opposite, not necessarily for competition's sake, but for their own achievements. People like to show their achieved goals-- it's part of the reason badges are so popular. Just because certain 'games' and activities on the site post numbers in charts or on profiles doesn't mean they're competitive in any sense. When was the last time you heard someone saying 'Haha, I'm beating you in the Monster Quiz!'?

The problem I'm noting here is that your posts have been confusing; I still don't know what certain elements (eg. brains, being added to challenges against one's will, etc.) have anything to do with your query, one posted in a thread about ideas for new challenges being added to the pool. When posts like these show up in the Feedback and Quiz Authoring forums, occasionally with information which is either misleading or incorrect, it only serves to make the truth more difficult to understand for not only those looking for answers to their questions in the moment, but everyone else looking at the threads for answers in later months or years. This is especially prevalent with answers from non-editors about the workings of the quiz queues in the Q&A forum.

Again, none of this is meant to be an argument. It is, however, frustrating trying to hash out what's being asked between elements which seem to have no connection, posts which seem to be jokes/plays-on-words/etc., and occasionally misleading follow-ups, sometimes from unreliable sources. Some of the people following up in here do have a great deal of experience working with the challenges-- most of the testers played *every* challenge including most of the epics, for instance. While it's perfectly constructive to have feedback back and forth about new topics in here, we need to be clear and we need to know that answers we're giving are not only true, but from people who can attest that it is true, otherwise people could be walking away with the complete wrong impression.

Edited by kyleisalive (Sat Oct 20 2012 05:12 PM)

#833155 - Sun Oct 21 2012 12:44 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kyleisalive]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
How about a challenge (if not already there but I haven't had it yet) of playing a certain amount of crosswords, the difficulty depending on the number of crosswords required? An alternative would be to play crosswords in a certain number of categories. Easy mode could be used for easy challenges, regular mode could be for medium or difficult challenges.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Terry