Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#833197 - Sun Oct 21 2012 02:46 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Tizzabelle]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
How about a challenge (if not already there but I haven't had it yet) of playing a certain amount of crosswords, the difficulty depending on the number of crosswords required? An alternative would be to play crosswords in a certain number of categories. Easy mode could be used for easy challenges, regular mode could be for medium or difficult challenges.

There is one for playing a (random picked) crossword. Difficult is no easy mode, I think simply "complete" is Medium. I've gotten it twice. And...never mind. smile

#833207 - Sun Oct 21 2012 03:55 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Mariamir]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Thanks Mariamir. I'll look forward to getting that challenge smile

#833218 - Sun Oct 21 2012 06:34 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Tizzabelle]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
What Mariamir wants to say, but won't, is that there is also an Epic that has something to do with Crosswords as well, so you should be on the lookout for that too!

There's also an Easy level crossword challenge that pulls crosswords from the "Easier" rated puzzles, whereas the medium and difficult challenges, in addition to what Mariamir said about play requirements, are harder crosswords.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Sun Oct 21 2012 06:59 AM)

#833227 - Sun Oct 21 2012 07:51 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
What Mariamir wants to say, but won't, is that there is also an Epic that has something to do with Crosswords as well, so you should be on the lookout for that too!

Quite true. I wasn't quite sure about spoiling the Epic surprise...

#833229 - Sun Oct 21 2012 07:56 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Mariamir]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

It's something to look forward to smile I was just putting an idea out there as I hadn't had a crossword challenge yet and no one had mentioned it to my recollection. smile

#833230 - Sun Oct 21 2012 08:04 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Tizzabelle]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

It is a good idea. smile Probably why it was added in the first place. grin Still, maybe something more can be done with the crosswords. Maybe play a crossword that's in one of the starred global categories or something.

#833236 - Sun Oct 21 2012 08:15 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Mariamir]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: Mariamir
How about a challenge (if not already there but I haven't had it yet) of playing a certain amount of crosswords, the difficulty depending on the number of crosswords required? An alternative would be to play crosswords in a certain number of categories. Easy mode could be used for easy challenges, regular mode could be for medium or difficult challenges.

There is one for playing a (random picked) crossword. Difficult is no easy mode, I think simply "complete" is Medium. I've gotten it twice. And...never mind. smile

I have the complete today as my medium, and I've had the hard one before (which I didn't do, as it was the most obscurist crossword probably on the site!) wink I was able to do the one today.

#833246 - Sun Oct 21 2012 09:06 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Mariamir]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: Mariamir
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl

Quite true. I wasn't quite sure about spoiling the Epic surprise...

Considering that on the "Recently Complete Epic Daily Challenges" page, the purple flag is labelled as "Epic: Crossword", I don't think it spoils anything.

I also got an easy challenge to play any crossword in Television (in any mode). While Mariamar's idea sounds interesting, I think we've probably got enough crossword challenges.

~(_8(I)

#834470 - Fri Oct 26 2012 06:38 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: AdamM7]
nautilator Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Would you consider letting us trade challenges with each other?

It'd be limited to so many times per week, or only among team members, or have a purchasing cost or other limitations.

#834471 - Fri Oct 26 2012 06:51 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: nautilator]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I honestly don't like the idea. We already have the ability to swap a challenge each week. And everything is random. I like the randomly unknown.

#834472 - Fri Oct 26 2012 06:52 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: nautilator]
malik24 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: nautilator
Would you consider letting us trade challenges with each other?

It'd be limited to so many times per week, or only among team members, or have a purchasing cost or other limitations.

I thought the point of Daily Challenges was to be a personal challenge that varies from day to day. Trading defeats the object of that I feel. It also disadvantages those who do not know a lot of people.

Edited by malik24 (Fri Oct 26 2012 06:53 PM)

#834567 - Sat Oct 27 2012 06:48 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: malik24]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Apologies if these are existing challenges that I have yet to meet!

-- Score a cumulative X points on the insta quizzes* today. (At 2 points per question, this could be Difficult, Medium or Easy depending on the amount of points required. Scores in their hundreds would be perfectly attainable even if they would take some dedication to the cause.)

-- Play X amount of insta quizzes today, scoring at least X points per quiz. (Easy)

-- Score a "perfect score" (20 points) (10/10) on the insta quiz*. (Or score 3/10/20 etc "perfect scores" in a day). Easy/Medium or Difficult rating depends on amount required.

-- Score X/10 on each of four quizzes in the International Hourly game in the same hour. Easy/Medium rating depends on amount required. A Difficult version might ask for the feat to repeated X times.

*I know you said, Terry, that you were getting rid of the insta quiz but I like it and you might have changed your mind. smile wink

Edited by Chavs (Sat Oct 27 2012 06:51 AM)

#834589 - Sat Oct 27 2012 07:36 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Chavs]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Of those you mentioned there is the exact thing of the last one, the International games. You'll get it at some point. smile No instant quiz challenges, though.

#834610 - Sat Oct 27 2012 09:47 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Mariamir]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
The Instaquizzes have a problem - they're old, creaky, and Terry is probably going to remove them at some point. (I hope it's the point where we have another game where we can get an odd number of tiny points to do the precision badges, or the Twin challenge, or the Three Keys badge, etc. And despite what Wesley says about an alternate method, I have not yet found a better way to do it.)

I did the International quiz challenge this morning... had to get x/10 in all four country games in the same hour. I hate to say it but that game is creaky too.

#834619 - Sat Oct 27 2012 10:35 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: flopsymopsy]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

A teammate of mine rather fancies winning the Daily Buccaneer badge by having all three levels of challenge on 199 and then cracking 200 for all three levels on the same day. He has different amount of challenges in easy, med and difficult at present so he's come up with an idea. A challenge at present costs 9 credits to buy. He'd like to see the ability to nominate which level of challenge you buy, with an increasing cost to buy the medium or difficult challenges. I don't mind the idea myself, but I'll tell him that he could always stop playing the easies and mediums until the difficult challenges catch up with them. smile

#834639 - Sat Oct 27 2012 12:21 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Tizzabelle]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
A teammate of mine rather fancies winning the Daily Buccaneer badge by having all three levels of challenge on 199 and then cracking 200 for all three levels on the same day. He has different amount of challenges in easy, med and difficult at present so he's come up with an idea. A challenge at present costs 9 credits to buy. He'd like to see the ability to nominate which level of challenge you buy, with an increasing cost to buy the medium or difficult challenges. I don't mind the idea myself, but I'll tell him that he could always stop playing the easies and mediums until the difficult challenges catch up with them. smile

I'd suggest that you could choose the difficulty of the challenge (apart from epic) but for an increased cost. So, you can still choose to buy a challenge for 9 credits (or whatever the cost for buying the next challenge is), but you can buy a challenge and choose from easy, medium or difficult for about, say, 15 credits. No matter what difficulty you choose, the cost is the same.

The specially bought challenges would cost 3 more each time, but would also increase the cost of the normally bought challenges by 3. So, you could buy a challenge normally for 9 credits and then buy a challenge and choose that it's medium for 18 credits.

It would help people going for the 10 in a day - they could pick easy ones and have much to try much less (then again, maybe that's not a good thing), although they would have to save up for longer.

However, it would complicate things further (and I think that the challenges are already complicated enough, hearing what others have said) and I'm not sure that it would add much to the game. It might even make it worse - part of the fun is not knowing what you're going to get next. Sure, there's still 20 or so possibilities within a single difficulty level, but it does take some of the surprise element out of it.

And, there's another problem. I've heard it implied (possibly by Wes) that you can't get the same challenge twice in one day. I think Terry also said that not only that, but you can't receive 2 of the same type of challenges (e.g. score 5 in any international game [easy] and score 7/10 in all for international games [medium]) in one day either. With being able to choose the difficulty, it's not completely impossible for a player to buy all the easy (or whatever difficulty) challenges there are in one day. They come back to buy the next easy, and what happens? They've already played them all before, so they can't receive any of them. Does it just take their credits and do nothing? Does it refuse to let them buy another?

I think it's probably not worth bothering. Your friend can put a little bit of effort in to do what you mentioned anyway, if he/she is willing to purposefully fail a couple of challenges (like you said).

~(_8(I)

#834643 - Sat Oct 27 2012 12:40 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: AdamM7]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I don't think it should give the ability to choose which difficulty. During testing, we determined that the randomness was appealing... Winning ten in a day becomes less impressive when you win ten easy challenges and knowing you not get and midnight ending ones.

If this player wants to have199 for all three, might I suggest purposely NOT winning certain ones when te numbers are getting close?

#834658 - Sat Oct 27 2012 01:29 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: salami_swami]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
I don't think it should give the ability to choose which difficulty. During testing, we determined that the randomness was appealing... Winning ten in a day becomes less impressive when you win ten easy challenges and knowing you not get and midnight ending ones.

I agree. I don't think there should be an option to choose the difficulty levels for bought challenges. The randomness makes it more interesting I think.

#834675 - Sat Oct 27 2012 03:44 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: salami_swami]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: salami_swami
If this player wants to have199 for all three, might I suggest purposely NOT winning certain ones when te numbers are getting close?

That's what I've already suggested to him if he's really keen on this idea. For the record, he already has the 10/day under his belt so he wouldn't use it for that. I thought I'd mention the idea here though. It might not be used in this particular format but it might be the germ of an idea that gets twisted into something else. smile

#834679 - Sat Oct 27 2012 04:26 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: kyleisalive]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive

'there is nothing in the fridge except a banana'

Quick, man! Get it out of there! It will turn brown!

#834686 - Sat Oct 27 2012 05:58 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: gracious1]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
I know there is currently an easy challenge to play in the Team Heroes game (score doesn't matter) and a medium challenge to play in the Team Heroes and be a hero (top 5 for small, top 7 for medium, top 10 for large)
What about two challenges based on Team vs. Team that is essentially the same as the two current Team Heroes challenges?

#834705 - Sat Oct 27 2012 06:32 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Buddy1]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
I'd love to see the first one implemented for TvT. The second doesn't have an easy equivalent since there aren't any counted "top X" in TvT, but I guess it could still be done.

#834726 - Sat Oct 27 2012 07:04 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
I was thinking top 10 for Team vs. Team, since that is how many is showed on the Team vs. Team page, but I just remembered that, most likely, it was only there because there neeeded to be a set limit, since it probably wouldn't make sense to show all the scores on the Team vs. Team main page. However, on Team Heroes, top 5/7/10 does have a purpose, other than to show a sample.

#834788 - Sun Oct 28 2012 12:58 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Buddy1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Edited by salami_swami (Sun Oct 28 2012 08:58 AM)

#834810 - Sun Oct 28 2012 04:46 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: salami_swami]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
You never know, you might find that the team score goes up, not down, when people are encouraged to play and aim for the top place.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Terry