Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#829575 - Fri Oct 05 2012 07:25 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I just wtarted “Under the Big Sky: A Biography of A.B. Guthrie Jr.” It’s the story of how he came to be a writer. I normally steer clear of biographies (but that’s hard to do when the library keeps sending them). This one’s actually written in a style that is anything but dry (and the narrator happens to be one of my favorites).

#829727 - Fri Oct 05 2012 05:15 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Oh yes, "Germinal"! So depressing. I remember all the "like marching through a night of a sky without stars" bits. Shades of A level French. I can't remember things perking up, but I suppose they did. Good luck!

#829736 - Fri Oct 05 2012 05:57 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Gil_Galad]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: Gil_Galad
Just started Germinal by Emile Zola. I found it while rifling through my parents' old collection and decided to give it a go.

I love that book. Have you read L'Assommoir? Gervaise in L'Assommoir is Lantier's mother.

#829872 - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:32 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Dagny1]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just put "The Day After Tomorrow" in my tape player. At first I thought I might have to throw it away, as the tape sounded like it was dying, but I'm already halfway through the first of four cassettes, and all is fine. All I can say is, **I love *mysteries!

#829879 - Sat Oct 06 2012 10:53 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Dagny1]
Gil_Galad Offline
Participant

Loc: Greece
No, I haven't read L'Assommoir. I might try to find it when I finish Germinal.

#829885 - Sat Oct 06 2012 11:37 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Gil_Galad]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Nana" was my favourite Zola.

#829891 - Sat Oct 06 2012 12:17 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: agony
"Nana" was my favourite Zola.

Another of Gervaise's children. My favorite is L'Assomoir. I've read 19 of the 20 Rougon-Macquart novels. The only one I'm missing is His excellency Eugene Rougon.

#830511 - Tue Oct 09 2012 08:35 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Dagny1]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I've moved on to my first Tom Clancy novel(no, really). It's on four cassettes and is called "The Sum of All Fears." So far, it's interesting.

#830775 - Wed Oct 10 2012 06:55 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Reading "Brother Odd" by Dean Koontz - not really enjoying it.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#830902 - Thu Oct 11 2012 12:19 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: skunkee]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I have always enjoyed Dean Koontz's work, especially his earlier stuff, but Brother Odd was one of the few I had a hard time getting through.

#831253 - Sat Oct 13 2012 10:48 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ClaraSue]
agony Offline

Administrator

Re reading "The Day of the Triffids" and enjoying it immensely. In his quiet English way, John Wyndham really was one of the best Science Fiction authors of his time.

#831262 - Sat Oct 13 2012 11:36 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
authorspalace Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington DC  USA
I'm reading quite a few books right now. I am reading Cascade by Lisa Tawn Bergren, Insurgent by Veronica Roth, and Sir Percy Leads the Band by Baroness Orczy.

#831486 - Sun Oct 14 2012 11:29 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: authorspalace]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Burglar in the Rye", by Lawrence Block. I've probably talked about this series before - I just love it. Tremendously engaging characters, ridiculously convoluted plots that don't always play strictly fair - everybody lies, even sometimes our narrator - clever dialogue with a lot of wordplay, and a lighter-than-air touch. Block is very well acquainted indeed with the Mystery genre, and he plays with the conventions wonderfully - the climax of every book is an "I suppose you are all wondering why I gathered you here" expostulation, for example. I strongly recommend this series to anyone who likes a playful - and literary - touch to their mysteries.

#831530 - Sun Oct 14 2012 05:13 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Originally Posted By: agony
Re reading "The Day of the Triffids" and enjoying it immensely. In his quiet English way, John Wyndham really was one of the best Science Fiction authors of his time.

Yes he was I agree. "The Midwich Cuckoos" is my personal favourite of his.

#831668 - Mon Oct 15 2012 08:44 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Christinap]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Started a delightful book called “Don’t Dump the Dog,” about canine behavior problems and how to fix them. I don’t have a dog, and have never wanted one, but some parts of this book are just hilarious. It does, though, give practical and workable solutions to conquering your pet’s bad behavior. smile The author cares for a log of dogs, having established this “stray rescue” shelter. (I’ve actually read other books about dogs because the library sent them to me, but this is the first one that actually piqued—and held—my interest.) smile This is one of those books on digital cartridge, so it tells me the approximate reading time in that one book (and there’s no changing tapes or sides.) Approximate time: four hours.

As I listen to some of the chapters, I'm reminded of my friend, who has a miniature pincer she dubbed "The Dog From Hell." I never did understand why, if she wanted a big dog in the first place, she got a tiny one (she said it's because she doesn't have much room for the animal to run around, but I'm hearing her complain about what a pain he is. Could just be me, but sounds like a waste of money (I think she said she paid around $90 for Dante.)

#831707 - Mon Oct 15 2012 11:29 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Sometimes I call my dogs "the Dog from Hell" too, but IMO, dogs are never a waste of money.

Currently I'm reading Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly about the Civil War and assassination of Abraham Lincoln. I read great reviews about this book and the historical accounts. Instead of reading like a history book, it reads more like a novel.

#832042 - Tue Oct 16 2012 03:52 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ClaraSue]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Beautiful Ruins" by Jess Walter. All of Walter's books are good, and getting better. This one is totally mainstream fiction - he started out with crime fiction but has been moving away from it for some time. This one is a great story about, oh, life and love and meaning, and all that good stuff - and movies. It moves between Italy in the early sixties and the present, and has given me a great desire to watch some Richard Burton films - he's one of the characters, the lovely old drunk. I think most people would like this book.

ClaraSue, I've read some criticism of O'Rielly's research when it comes to details - as an example, the Oval Office didn't exist in Lincoln's time. Did you get the sense this was just the odd detail he got wrong, or was his research a little sloppy overall?

#832052 - Tue Oct 16 2012 04:27 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

I read that too, agony, about the Oval Office, but I don't think his research was sloppy overall. There's a great many details in the book that are collaborated by other authors and by photos and history books. Some details that are possibly wrong, in my opinion, was because of his zeal to have it read like a story and not just like a history book.

#832171 - Wed Oct 17 2012 02:49 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ClaraSue]
agony Offline

Administrator

Yes, a little artistic license.

#832628 - Thu Oct 18 2012 04:03 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just started "Radical Innocent," about the author Upton Sinclair.

#833171 - Sun Oct 21 2012 01:38 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

Just finished Dennis Lehane's "Live by Night".

I wasn't too crazy about his last two books and was sadly thinking that he'd lost the magic, but I was wrong. This is without question the very best gangster novel I've read; I'd put it in the top five crime fiction, and possibly my top twenty novels of any kind. Really extraordinary. Not for the faint of heart - it's very violent - but if that doesn't bother you do yourself a favour and give it try. The story is a basic gangster story - violence and betrayal - but my goodness can that man write.

#834136 - Thu Oct 25 2012 01:00 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Daja31 Offline
Participant

Loc: Kraljevo Serbia
Reading 'To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

It has my full interest now. It was a bit boring in the beginning, but not anymore. It is long and it is one tough cracker, but I am set on eating that cracker fully, metaphorically speaking.

Also,
Click to reveal..
Boo Radley
takes the numero uno spot in my mind.
Click to reveal..
Believed to be a mentally ill individual, he becomes a hero at the end, and the reason why he's like that is revealed.

This book won it for me. Kudos to
Click to reveal..
Boo

He is the TRUE main character in my eyes.

#834203 - Thu Oct 25 2012 04:40 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Daja31]
papo2228 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
I'm reading one of the best books on the American Civil War. Its title is " Freedom" by William Safire. It's a mixture of fiction and historical facts and really very interesting.

#834225 - Thu Oct 25 2012 06:50 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
trangie Offline
Participant

Loc: NSW Australia
ren asked me to put something in Bookworms about my Auntie Nina Bawden.
Firstly - she died in August this year - aged 87
She wrote @48 novels and used to write one adult novel then a children's novel. Probably her most well known novel was Carries War which tells a tale of my father and Nina when they were evacuated to Shropshire in WW11. It has been made into TV series and a couple of years ago a Westend play. She was shorlisted for the booker prize in 1987 for Circles of Deceit - a complicated family yarn.
Nina and Austen (uncle) were both in the Potters Bar train crash - Nina badly injured and Austen killed. Nina's last novel was Dear Austen - written as a letter to Austen outlining Nina's ongoing fight for justice with the railways. A fight she ultimately won.
She was a lovely Aunt with a wicked sense of humour and great warmth. Missed by us.

#834231 - Thu Oct 25 2012 08:11 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: trangie]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I'v just started 'Stranger In A Strange Land', by Robert A. Heinlein, and 50 pages in, i'm hooked.
Normally i'm not reader of science fiction, but since reading an article about the top ten science fiction books of all time, i decided to pick this book out of the bunch and give it a go.
If his other books are as good as this one is turning out to be, why did i wait so long?

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom