Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#834502 - Fri Oct 26 2012 09:01 PM I can't make a quiz, please help.
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cali Colombia            
Hi.

It is a difficult task for me, since I do not speak or write in English. I tried to ride on three different topics I hope this time to get a good result with the help of Google translator.

Edited by joecali (Fri Oct 26 2012 09:01 PM)

#834505 - Fri Oct 26 2012 09:09 PM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: joecali]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted By: joecali
Hi.

It is a difficult task for me, since I do not speak or write in English. I tried to ride on three different topics I hope this time to get a good result with the help of Google translator.

Instead of using Google translator (which won't produce well-written English text), have someone who knows English better than you help. Also, playing some of the English grammar quizzes and the Quizmaker Tuneups quizzes should help a little as well.

And there are some people who have tried making quizzes, but their English wasn't good enough so they waited a bit, took more English lessons and went back to creating quizzes with good results.

Editor for Television Category

#834513 - Fri Oct 26 2012 09:42 PM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: ladymacb29]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Like Ladymacb already said, using Google Translator does not produce well-written text; in fact it'll likely come out with a number of errors. While the site will do some basic word-for-word translation, a lot of times you'll end up getting slightly incorrect translations with syntax issues.

#834656 - Sat Oct 27 2012 01:25 PM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: kyleisalive]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Unfortunately, I'd have to say that a basic fluency in English is necessary in order to write quizzes.

#834838 - Sun Oct 28 2012 07:45 AM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: agony]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I saw an article in one of the magazines I read, on which the Google translator was used. The result was totally incomprehensible, even for one who's fluent in the source language and in the object language.

So I advise against using automated translations.

If you start by *attentively* reading many FT questions and answers, you might improve your English already a bit. It also helps to read *attentively* some newspaper articles or magazine articles in English.

#834984 - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:43 PM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: JanIQ]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
One cannot write a quiz using machine-translated material.

Machine translations may sometimes help one understand articles that one wants to read for information, but the notion that machine translations can produce clear, comprehensible writing is false.

Often, machine translation makes a dog's dinner of very simple things. For example, I have just machine-translated the Italian Wikipedia article on Laura Bassi Veratti (1711-78). At one point the machine translation refers to her as he! Under Honors and Awards it says:

Quote:
She was dedicated to a crater of 31 km on Venus

Edited to add: A translation that gets into a right regular muddle about what does what to whom isn't much use. Arguably, it's worse than useless.

Edited by bloomsby (Sun Oct 28 2012 09:45 PM)

#835409 - Tue Oct 30 2012 10:15 AM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: bloomsby]
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

I read many questions and play for four years in this site.

Read and writing are very different, I try to change some errors in the translation.

#835679 - Wed Oct 31 2012 02:58 PM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: joecali]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Joe,

I speak Spanish and English fluently, and I love Cali (which is where you're from, right?). If you would like to have me look over your quiz before you submit it and help with the grammar, I'd be happy to.

Sue (shuehorn)

PD Recuerdas que hemos hablado antes? Vivi en Colombia por 20 anos y me fascinaria ayudarte si puedo.

#837908 - Sat Nov 10 2012 08:51 AM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: shuehorn]
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Hi Sue.

Without your help it would be impossible to see my quiz online, I really appreciate your the patience and support to do a better quiz.

#917108 - Tue Nov 13 2012 04:34 PM Re: I can't make a quiz, please help. [Re: joecali]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
My pleasure, Joe. smile

Moderator:  agony, gtho4